X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GregoriusM
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2000

Line Doublers and Scalers

I think I have an idea about the difference between line doublers (used in progressive DVD players and some TVs - HDTVs I think) and scalers.

But, how much do I need to spend to get a doubler or scaler to put between my Digital Cable Receiver, VCR, DVD player and my TV.

Also, do I need an HDTV to be able to use an external doubler/scaler?

I have a Panasonic 27" GAOO TV, with 750 lines of resolution, which brings me to another question. Is that horizontal or vertical resolution. What is usually quoted?

I'm tired of the "jitter" from regular cable, and have seen HDTV's of up to 60" that are greatly improved with internal line doublers.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to upgrade my TV until HDTV comes down in price and there is more content on the tube.

Thanks!

... Greg :-)
    Gregor
  • Gordon Moore
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by GregoriusM

But, how much do I need to spend to get a doubler or scaler to put between my Digital Cable Receiver, VCR, DVD player and my TV.
    Zero, your TV doesn't support the frequency nor the resolution to handle line doubled or HDTV material.

Also, do I need an HDTV to be able to use an external doubler/scaler?
    Yes or at least HDTV ready or a pc monitor or a projector

I have a Panasonic 27" GAOO TV, with 750 lines of resolution, which brings me to another question. Is that horizontal or vertical resolution. What is usually quoted?
    Horizontal...marketing...it sounds better

The most inexpensive and versatile scaler, progressive scan dvd player, HDTV tuner,TIVO,gaming machine,MP3/CD player that you could purchase and/or assemble yourself is a PC (HTPC). It's easier than you think.

"A RONSTER!"
    Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Scalers and doublers are of most use with graphics grade CRT projectors (XGA or better) and digital projectors that support direct pixel mapping, but also can be useful with high res direct view presentation monitors.

By far, the best value in a scaler/doubler would be an HTPC, as Gordon points out. For external NTSC video sources, DScaler and a compatible video capture card are the way to go.

For video output and DVD playback, a Radeon or Geforce card will provide excellent playback with the better software players (Ravisent Cinemaster, Power DVD 4, Theater Tek); the best I've seen so far is with a Radeon 7200 or 7500 type card (the 8500 has hardware/driver issues with gamma adjustment which are still unresolved by ATI). The Geforce series doesn't have quite the same level of shadow detail and color detail, (possibly due to 8bit verus 10bit DAC, and other details in intermediate processing), but still is quite good.

A PC scaler can't create detail that isn't their, but like oversampling of CD digital, it can interpolate and smooth to higher resolution playback device with excellent results, especially on quality DVD's like the Superbit titles.

Regards,

Jon

Earth First!
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"