Panasonic's response on shifting black levels in plasma HDTVs: 'There's nothing to fi

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wettou
    Ultra Senior Member
    • May 2006

Panasonic's response on shifting black levels in plasma HDTVs: 'There's nothing to fi

Panasonic's response on shifting black levels in plasma HDTVs: 'There's nothing to fix'

By Richard Lawler posted Feb 10th 2010 at 8:11AM

Owners of Panasonic's recent plasma HDTVs have continued to push for more details on the "automatic control" the company cited as the cause of suddenly elevated black levels and it has revealed a few more details in an email exchange with CNET. Those hoping for some kind of patch or action in response to the changes will likely be disappointed however, as Senior VP Bob Perry put it, "there's nothing to fix." Citing trade secrets and a lack of a standard measure for black level performance, he also was unable to give any specifics about when the changes are designed to happen or by exactly how much. The company is promising technology in its 2010 models will offer a more gradual adjustment thanks to design adjustments, but that doesn't help current model owners left wondering if their set has, or will have in the future, degraded picture quality either by design or some software glitch. He did close by offering the olive branch of the VIERA Concierge Program for dissatisfied customers -- we'll see if a happy resolution for all is still within reach.
    Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower
  • kpodolski
    • Jun 2006

This is funny because I was going to purchase a 50" panasonic plasma to replace my failing Sony (see my other post) but postponed it because of this issue/problem.
    The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by kpodolski
      This is funny because I was going to purchase a 50" panasonic plasma to replace my failing Sony (see my other post) but postponed it because of this issue/problem.
      Yes I think a lot of people are going to pause before they pull the trigger!!!
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

What's happening? The black levels are getting worse after a certain amount of time?

Comment

• wettou
          Ultra Senior Member
          • May 2006

Who wants to buy a Panansonic!!! or a lemon?

Panasonic Responds to Black Level Issues in Plasmas Written by Dick Ward Wednesday, 10 February 2010

Over the last few months, people have been reporting that the black levels in their Panasonic plasmas had suddenly and sharply increased. Though initially the incidents seemed isolated, it appears that many of Panasonic’s 2008 and 2009 plasma television models are affected.
          It’s not uncommon for a set’s black levels to increase over time, but the difference in Panasonics plasmas comes suddenly, according to owners. Panasonic’s official response on the matter has made them less than popular.

“Viera plasma HDTVs incorporate an automatic control which adjusts an internal driving voltage at predetermined intervals of operational hour,” said Panasonic. “As a result of this automatic voltage adjustment, background brightness will increase from its initial value.”

Though this does help to explain a normal increase in black levels, it fails to address why they increase as much as two-fold so quickly. When asked directly about the issue, Panasonic’s Bob Perry responded by saying “Since the TVs work as designed, there's nothing to fix.”

Perry said that Panasonic’s plasma models for 2010 feature a more gradual change in black levels. He also offered a bit of advice to those experiencing the issue. “There is no reason for dissatisfaction with a product that works as it was intended to… However, customers do have access to the Panasonic Plasma Concierge Program, which can provide advice and assistance on all customer satisfaction issues.”

Comment

• wettou
            Ultra Senior Member
            • May 2006

Panasonic prices its first 3D HDTV: $5,900

Panasonic prices its first 3D HDTV: $5,900

If you want to be an early adopter of 3D HDTV technology, get ready to shell out a pretty hefty chunk of change. Panasonic has announced pricing and shipping information for its upcoming TH-P54VT2 3D-capable plasma TV in Japan.

The good news is that the screen hits Japanese stores in just 2 months; it's scheduled to ship April 23. The bad news is that it's priced at about $5,900 in yen, according to CrunchGear. That's a pretty steep price for any HDTV. The slightly smaller TH-P50VT2 will be a little more affordable, retailing for the equivalent of $4,800. Compared to similar, non-3D screens' prices, it looks like the cost of adding 3D to your HDTV comes out to around $800.

Comment

• Grasynoll
              • Mar 2006

I'm in the process of buying a new plasma. The Samsungs buzz and the Pannys change color. I hope these "non issues" are addressed in the 2010 models.

Comment

• jyqureshi
                • Mar 2009

I have a TC-P54V10 and I can attest that the black levels have risen quite a bit and picture now looks kind of washed out with grays, you can watch the TV but your mind is cursing Panasonic for this. Absolutely ridiculous.

The TV has 600+ hours on it.

Comment

• SoundOfNothing
                  • Aug 2009

you cant adjust it down via brightness/contrast controls? get it ISF caled, worth every $ even if you didnt have the brightness problem.

Comment

• jyqureshi
                    • Mar 2009

I did a test and turned down the brightness to zero, with no signal going to the TV and it still looked bright.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"