X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Interesting question on smaller LCD HDTVs 1080p vs 1080i

I came across a 22" low budget HDTV from AOC at Radio Shack for 209.00 They doubled the warranty since it was the last one, the floor model. A big set, no way I'd take the floor model, but this little guy, well, I made an exception. Reviews are good, it is out of stock with the Shack online.

Resolution is 1680 X 1050 so 1080i is the most it's capable of. But wow, on a 22" screen, it's pretty impressive. Contrast ratio is 5000:1, set Brightness seems very good, on brighter images, it really "pops", when contrasted with darker scenes. I watched a good b it of Borne Supremacy last night on it, and was quite impressed with the imagery. detail, contrast, color, everything really looked quite good for a small set via HDMI.

Well, since I went into the Shack for batteries for my continuity tester, not really to buy a TV, lol. I figured I'd check the quality of my purchase decision to see how I did.

I came across a set Walmart has that is also 220.00 and 22". But this set is fully capable of 1080p. But the contrast ratio is much lower at 1000:1.

All things being equal, you video guys, should I even worry about 1080p at such a small screen size? Would you expect a better image from 1080p at 1000:1 contrast ratio than 1080i at 5000:1 contrast ratio? Or does the contrast ratio offset things, or does it really matter.

I'm a little torn about this small purchase decision. Of course, the local WM does not have the 22" in "Viore" brand in stock. So, I'd have to order a pig in a poke so to speak off web site. I'm overall so happy with the little 1080i set, I really hate to muck with my decision unless there's a REAL probability of a large difference.

Now at 32-50", there would be no doubt I'd spring for 1080p. But this is 22" monitor size, really more for personal TV, just when I just want to have it on, and not burn a projector. Little guy is very green at only 55 watts consumption. Costs less to run than lighting a room.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Unless you're also using it as a computer monitor (sitting very close) you should be fine. Besides I haven't seen any TRULY 1080p LCD sets under I think 26"-32" anyway.
    Jason

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, it said it was, on Wally's site, but that doens't mean it's so! But you know, the 5000:1 contrast ratio may be worth more at this size than the increase in pixels. I mean I'm not loosing much sleep over a 209.00 TV anyway, that does 1080i? Geesh, I can run it as a PC monitor too VGA for 1650 X 1050. Not bad for 200 bucks, lol.

Getting ready to try it out with a new Directv box to see if I can get the HDMI working right, my old one didn't seem to have HDMI right. I'm moving it to the bedroom and putting the new one out here for now. Well, the HDMI on the set is ok, as it worked with HDDVD just fine.

Well, edit, they sent me the wrong stupid box, so that's a bust for tonight... not only is it not even HDMI, it's not even component video! geesh. Dark ages.

Doug
      Doug

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Well all LCD's are progressive displays, so your TV will convert everything to 1050P anyway.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

So, even with less lines of resolution, it is still capable of 1080p?

Interesting.

I was comparing this set to a Samsung that is a 23" set. Interestingly, both sets have 1000:1 actual contrast ratios, but the dynamic contrast ratio is totally different.

The AOC set above lists 5000:1 dynamic contrast, and the Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD lists it's dynamic contrast ratio at 50000:1!!! But it's actual contrast ratio is still 1000:1. This seems really strange to me. Explanations?

Both sets seem pretty nice with the Samsung being a bit more expensive, but offering a good value too.

Here is CNet's review of the set: http://reviews.cnet.com/lcd-monitors...=mncolBtm;rnav

They also have the AOC listed, but have not reviewed it apparently.

Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

Right now, I am evaluating the Radio Shack model. Since it has VGA input, I am considering keeping it even if I get the other TV for a computer monitor. 22" widescreen, vs my 19" standard monitor. My new newest computer uses VGA, well my old one is DVI though, that would be an issue with the AOC, it has no DVI input. The Samsung has DVI and HDMI, and I assume VGA too. Making it a very flexible set.
          Doug

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Lex
            So, even with less lines of resolution, it is still capable of 1080p?

Interesting.
            Capable yes, but as Kevin say's it must be converted by the internal gubbins down to 1050p to fit on the panel.

TBH, at that screen size, I'd go with the one you like the look of, and/or with the best feature set. Specs have become a bit meaningless thanks to the BS factor.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
            Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Lex
              SThe AOC set above lists 5000:1 dynamic contrast, and the Samsung SyncMaster P2370HD lists it's dynamic contrast ratio at 50000:1!!! But it's actual contrast ratio is still 1000:1. This seems really strange to me. Explanations?
              It's called "marketing" :roll: The only number you should REALLY look at is the true measured contrast and those are both probably a bit flubbed too :lol:
              Jason

Comment

• Allegiance
                • Sep 2006

I would go with the lower contrast 1080p display.

I just recently added a new TV to my study, it is a BenQ 18.5inch LED LCD 1000:1 static contrast ratio, resolution is 1366x768. It is connected to a Xbox 360 via VGA and acts as a media center extender. Picture is crystal clear. Contrast is good.

1680x1050 is 16:10 whereas 1920x1080 is 16:9 so 16:10 will look a little out of aspect.

Oh and I wouldn't look at Dynamic Contrast ratio to much, whilst my monitor is rated at 1000:1 static, it is rated at 5,000,000:1 dynamic (yes 5 million!). The 1000:1 still looks good to me. :T

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"