X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ICEMAN70
    • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Chris Dotur

Bottom line for me, YES, this is technology that I'm excited to use and I will be getting. However, not being overwhelmed by the results, I'm not going to be dealing with the baggage of this initial format war, and tech quirks/limitations of first-generation equipment.
    I agree with you on that chris,

I use to go and buy the first new technology that come out. Now i am tired of it. I am not playing in to this game. I will wait till the dust settles on this issue with HD DVD and Blue ray. By than maybe they will have HDMI 1.3 or even 1.4 We will also see new formats come out on the pre/pro section like HD DTS.

I will stay put for another year or so before taking the dive into HD DVD or Blue ray.

Comment

• earwit
      • Jun 2006

Levesque,

I'm, trully impressed with the D2 on the video side, and how the company is really one of the few that is keeping up with HDMI and I assume the new approved 1.3 format.

On the audio side how does the D2 compare with other ultra Hi-end pre-amp processors such as : McIntosh, Krell, Lexicon, Theta , Halcro ??

Comment

• ThomasW
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by earwit
        Levesque,

I'm, trully impressed with the D2 on the video side, and how the company is really one of the few that is keeping up with HDMI and I assume the new approved 1.3 format.

On the audio side how does the D2 compare with other ultra Hi-end pre-amp processors such as : McIntosh, Krell, Lexicon, Theta , Halcro ??
        Let's stay on topic (Toshiba HD-DVD player). If you want to discuss processors please start a thread in the appropriate forum

Thanks.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gross30
          • Jun 2005

Just got the Tosh HD-DVD hooked up, so far so good. My question is this: I am updating the latest firmware and it seems to be taking an awful long time. Is this normal. We have DSL at home, so I am thinking it is not an internet problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated...thnx in advance...dg

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

I haven't hooked mine up to the net since doing that's just not convenient. I downloaded the v1.3 update, it was 54 megs. Flashing from a CD is a 5-7 min affair.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• gross30
              • Jun 2005

Thanks Thomas, it seemed like a while. It took about 15 mins for all the latest upgrades. I was just a little concerned. I think I will load it on a disc next time, and forget about the i-net connection for now. The machine is working great otherwise, fairly slow on start-up but once I had everything configured with video and audio, I am happy with the results. Lets hope it goes the distance !!!

Comment

• ht_addict
                • Dec 2002

My upgrade too 45min and thats with a cable connection. Atleast with the upgrading over the net you know your getting the real deal from Toshiba.

Comment

• gross30
                  • Jun 2005

HT Addict, maybe it is just the Canadian versions that we have, i.e. speed of the machine and speed of download time could be in direct proportion with each other. I also downloaded from the net, and I'm not sure if it was 15 mins, exactly, but it sure seemed like a long time. I think the last upgrade was #9 on the machine front panel display.

Comment

• Adz
                    • Jan 2004

I upgraded a few days ago from 1.0 to 1.4 and it took about 50 minutes with my LAN/cable modem. I knew it was working because on the display it was flashing "# PCT COMP"."#" starting at 10 and going to 100.
                    Adz

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

They're checking the packets at customs?

Comment

• KeithM
                        • Oct 2005

I saw best buy in Iowa City had it set up on s-video while blu-ray was set up right. One of the guys that worked there even said he hooked it up said blu-ray looked a lot better and I should buy that instead:roll: . I wanted to ask him if the management told him how to set it up or if he was just stupid.
                        Last edited by KeithM; 10 July 2006, 23:26 Monday. Reason: forgot a word

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Haha
                          B&W

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by KeithM
                            I wanted to ask him if the management told him how to set it up or if he was just stupid.
                            And you didn't because... ???

If they are idiots, I do not see where we should not make them feel like idiots, if it is in our power.
                            Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                            -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                              • Sep 2001

If they are idiots, I do not see where we should not make them feel like idiots, if it is in our power.
                              It is also "in our power" to set a good example. Just because someone else is acting stupid doesn't give us the right to be cruel. (Isn't working there punishment enough?)

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• KeithM
                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by jonathanb3478
                                And you didn't because... ???
                                It's much more fun to bash bose than call someone stupid. Calling people stupid is up there, though.

Comment

• ThomasW
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by KeithM
                                  I wanted to ask him if the management told him how to set it up or if he was just stupid.
                                  What you might have found out is that the BB contract for the promotion of Blu-Ray is such that it's to their benefit to make HD DVD look bad.....

IB subwoofer FAQ page

Comment

• gianni
                                    • Nov 2002

Originally posted by ThomasW
                                    What you might have found out is that the BB contract for the promotion of Blu-Ray is such that it's to their benefit to make HD DVD look bad.....

????????? Tell us more....

Comment

• KeithM
                                      • Oct 2005

argh, I want hd-dvd so badly yet my town just took the titles off the shelves now :M Taking the player out was bad enough.
                                      I've looked around and the closest place to get HD-DVD is in St. Louis, 2 hours away. :M Good thing there's amazon

And also I know the a1 doesn't support the new lossless audio formats, but could that be fixed in a future firmware upgrade or would that mean waiting for a different hd-dvd player?

Comment

• jonathanb3478
                                        • May 2006

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                                        It is also "in our power" to set a good example. Just because someone else is acting stupid doesn't give us the right to be cruel. (Isn't working there punishment enough?)

Burke
                                        Working there is "almost" punishment enough.

Regardless of what you do for a living, I require you to be competent at it. They are hooking up an HD resolution product to a display device with an s-video cable. That does not qualify as competent, since they work at an electronics retailer.

The "good example" is to call people on this kind of idiocy. What is cruel, in my opinion, is to just "simile and nod" and agree that the HD-DVD sure looks bad. Allowing some one to live in ignorance is more cruel that attempting to correct it, in my book. YMMV
                                        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
                                        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"