X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

Toshiba RS-TX20 TiVo/DVD R/RW

I added me a new Toshiba TiVo Series 2 today. I've not even hooked it up yet.

Anyway, progressive scan, up to 140 hours of recording time, DVD-R/RW drive, component output (of course for progressive scan), digital optical audio out.

I considered the new HD TiVo, but at 999 plus the subscription of 299, I felt 1300 was just to much for no more HD material than their is.

I was getting 10% off, so it would have been 1200. But I got this one for 699 - 78.00 plus I get 100 rebate, and their is no subscription fee, so I can move my old TiVo to the bedroom if I want and still have it active too.

Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

No subscription fee????? Tell me more big daddy!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Well, that's what the box says David, I'll let you know when I get it all hooked up how it works out.

Lex
      Doug

Comment

• Voltron
        • Oct 2004

You don't have time to hook that new baby up because you're not done with my speaker cables!

Sorry, Doug, just kidding.

I am really torn myself on what to do about Tivo/DVR/DVD burning, etc. I have VOOM satellite and get lots of HD content, including movies that would be very cool to save and maybe even put on dvd. I haven't looked into it very closely, but I have to imagine storing in HD would need some serious hard drive space. VOOM keeps claiming that they will come out with an HD DVR but wishing don't make it so. Plus, it may be stand-alone and the Tivo features and conveniences are what make Tivo so addictive.

I'll be curious to hear what the story is on your "no subsciption fee" unit.

Comment

• AndrewM
          • Oct 2000

It's a "basic" version of Tivo service.

http://customersupport.tivo.com/know...lic/tv1199.htm <-- lists the differences

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Yeah, I discovered last night it is called TiVo basic (tm)

Basically, you can't get season passes (records every episode of a show automatically), that sort of thing with Basic.

I had a problem a bit more severe last night with this. (Yes voltron, I did work on your speaker cables, even though I didn't quite finish them. ) I never could get video from my Directv box to display. Hell, I tried everything but going composite, and forget that.

I will likely be taking this back, after discovering their is NO component video input!, no other alternate HD compatible input. Only Coaxial, S-vid, and composite. How extremely disappointing. I can't believe their is no component input in this day and age with a unit represented to handle progressive scan level material.

Lex
            Doug

Comment

• Voltron
              • Oct 2004

That is disappointing and it is similar to my experience. I was all set to get a great deal on a Pioneer Elite 57H DVR/DVD recorder when I found out the best input was S video the darn thing. It had a progressive scan dvd player/burner, so there was a component output, but they completely choked on the DVR side. As the saying goes, garbage in, garbage out.

BTW, thanks for working on the cables! I got my AV8 yesterday and jury-rigged a temporary setup that was totally disappointing. I don't have my front speakers yet, and the cables are for sh--. Still, it was great to get it in place and get a hint of what it is going to do.

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Hang on Al, relief is coming! I shipped your cables today!!!

Well, I decided to take the Toshiba back, since it wasn't working right, that was a pretty easy decision, lol. I went for the max, 250 gig Hard Drive, HD capable, TiVo with DirecTV HD.

I'm still ticked off at them, making you pay 5 bucks a month for the service, instead of:

1. Letting me transfer my lifetime normal TiVo subscription.
                2. Letting you pay a new lifetime subscription. They won't even let you save money paying annually.
                3. I was really pissed when I turned on the satellite card/reception, and get into TiVo, all it would let me do until I activated the DVR membership is watch life TV. It wouldn't even let you do timed recordings. In other words, you could not use the hard drive at ALL without the 5.00 a month charge. This really floored me as:
                a. You are paying for something they won't let you use without paying for
                DVR. (Tying agreement) You mus have 1 to use the other. This is not
                right.
                b. If you have a standard direcTV receiver, it STILL downloads programming
                information for every day, just like a DVR will. So tell me, why am I
                having to pay for it a second time when I am already paying for the
                Guide in my normal service!?!?

If I could get TiVo basic, or transfer my subscription to a non-Directv box, that would successfully integrate with my Samsung Satellite receiver, then I would take this back.

I like the box, but really recording HD isn't ultra critical. It's a nice to have. But it uses so much disc space, as to be almost impractical anyway. It is nice to have that space for normal programming, but the 60 bucks a year gripes my butt.

Here's a PDF on the unit. I think it's a Hughes, but am not certain.

I'd rather had a Samsung, but they don't make one.

Lex
                Doug

Comment

• Voltron
                  • Oct 2004

That is awesome news on the cables, Doug!! That's a great turn-around with all the work you have! :T I really have to get my speakers in place because I am so close to being able to see how all this stuff comes together. I can't wait to get all those KingCats purrin'.

I know what you mean about the "lifetime" subscription to TiVo--lifetime of the unit, not the owner. Total BS. I also agree that HD recording is pretty useless given how much space it consumes, but with the combined unit you are recording at a much better quality than going through composite or S cable. That unit looks pretty sweet. VOOM claims it will have the DVR option starting "2005" so I may try to wait it out or I may go back to digital/HD cable. I don't know if you had HD before, but you're going to love it.

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

Thanks Al. I think you can record something like 30 hours of HD with a 250 gig drive that does like 250 hours at 480p! 8O

I hope Voom comes out with one if you like the service.
                    Doug

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"