X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Interconnect length - amp to pre/pro

I need 3 meter cables to connect my amp to my (forthcoming) pre/pro. Typically .5 meter cables are used in this application. My set-up requires such a distance between components.

I won't experience any problems (time delay or something) with this length of cable, will I?

Thanks,

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Robbie
    • Aug 2000

Sili,

WOW 3M interconnect. That's quite a cable. I've personally never used one that long but I'm sure cable quality would make a big difference. There is an increase of distortion (freq time delay)with cable length but I don't believe it would be audable at that length. Your biggest problem will be with amplitude (cable resistance). I believe this would be an audible distortion however, again it would depend on cable quality. My advise (for what it's worth) is to buy the best cable you can afford for this application.

YSMV

Robbie

Comment

• SiliGoose
      • Aug 2000

I'm using these: http://monstercable.com/productPage....n=133&mixtype=.

Monster Cable Interlink 400mkII

Not sure if they're anything special. They're actually 4m length as they only come in even numbered lengths (unless you custom order). Is that good enough? I don't want to spend more than $64 per pair.

If it's not good enough...tell me know. I've only purchased a single pair thus far.

-Sili
      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• SiliGoose
        • Aug 2000

Searching the net I've now found a lot of subwoofer cables that are several feet longer than my cable run. While that's a bit different than my application it's similar enough that I'm not as worried.

-Sili
        www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Robbie
          • Aug 2000

Sili

I think you should be fine with the Monsters. Only listening can tell but my guess is a slight increase in the volume and who would know any difference.

Good luck

Robbie

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

Silli,
            Not to worry. Since the voltage going through interconnects is so miniscule, length, within reason, is of no importance. In fact, idealy you put your amp as close to your speakers as possible and keep your speaker cables as short as possible for just the opposite reason, there is more voltage going out of the amp so length can make a difference.
            In fact, you will find that serious analog freaks will even put their components in another room. Running long interconnect cables to their amp which sits mid way between the speakers. That way the turntable is isolated from speaker vibration and the speaker cables are kept to a minimum.
            Good interconnects doesn't mean expensive. Like speakers, the price doesn't reflect the quality. You have to have a very revealing system and a really acousticly great room to hear interconnect differences. And, even then, only someone that has listened to their system critically for many, many hours can tell the subtle differences. So, don't sweat it. The monster ones will be more than good enough for the great system you are putting together.
            I have mid-priced JPS balanced interconnects and at one time or another I have had several grades of Audioquest interconnects, and Wonder Links, and Cardas. While I beleive that the subtle differences all add up in the audio chain I would be lying to say I could tell when one is substituted for another. The only thing along the lines of an interconnect that I have that I can honestly say improved the sound of my system was when I put a Great Northern Pasi unit between my pre-pro and amp. I was using a Audio Research amp at that time. With the Dreadnaught I didn't hear any difference so I sold the Pasi. Nor do I hear any difference when I switch between single ended interconnects and balanced. But, I have the JPS and I like the way they look so, what the heck. At least I am willing to admit that some of the audio stuff I have is for looks and I'm not feeding you the b.s. about "I hooked it up and my jaw dropped." Yeah, right.

Comment

• SiliGoose
              • Aug 2000

Bob,

Thanks for your thoughts.
              I agree that cables don't matter. It very well may be my system (and the systems I used to play with at the audio shop I worked at) but I've never been able to distinguish any differences between interconnects.
              I too buy cables that look pretty. All those bundles of wires behind our A/V racks look bad enough alread -the least I can do is put decent looking stuff back there.
              So what exactly is the Great Northern Pasi supposed to do? I've seen the name before but just like the Richard Gray Power Company thing I've never stopped to read what it actually does.

-Sili
              www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• Bob
                • Jul 2000

Silli,
                Great Northern Sound does mods for audio electronics, black caps, bybee devices, beefed up power, etc. I forget the owners name (could be Gary) but, he used to work for Wadia and seems to have a good reputation. Very pleasant to talk to on the phone.
                I received the Pasi from the fellow I bought my second pair of Vandersteen speakers from. He really didn't give me any explanation about it , just suggested that I put it between the pre-pro and the amp. I did just that but, since I was purchasing new surround speakers I played DVDs for the next few days and forgot about it.
                Once I finally got around to listening to some CDs I had pretty much forgotten that it was there. I was listening to a Doug MacLeod CD that a audio dealer in Beverly Hills had given me around a year before. I had put it on a couple of times before but never got past the first track. Really didn't care for it. For some reason this day I totally fell in love with it. My first thought was that my Audio Research amp had finally fully broken in. Then I remembered the Pasi unit and took it out to see if it made a difference. That was it. I don't know what it is but, somehow it changed the soundstage. Kept it in place from then on. Didn't have as much of an effect when I switched to Jeff Rowland amps. The guy at Northern Sound said that was because the Rowland amps had a similar device inside already. Found it made no difference at all with the Dreadnaught amp.
                So, as to your original question. What is it? I really don't know. Next time you see one of those ads give the guy a call or go to his website, get his number, and give him a call.

Comment

• SiliGoose
                  • Aug 2000

He really didn't give me any explanation about it , just suggested that I put it between the pre-pro and the amp.
                  LOL. That's funny.
                  Imagine your doctor just waving you off...,"just rub some of that between your eyes."
                  Sure doc.

What is it? I really don't know.
                  Honesty in an audio forum. A rare find indeed. I respect that a lot.

I guess voodoo is best when unexplained. I bet if you knew what it did you would have had difficulty hearing the difference.
                  Interesting that it wasn't noticable with the Dreadnaught amp.

BTW, 10 years down the road...when you decide to sell that amp -let me know. I'll own one some day. If only for it's looks.

-Sili
                  www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• brucek
                    HTG Expert
                    • Aug 2000

Sili,

Assuming that your forthcoming pre/pro is a typical solid state preamp with a typical low output impedance, then the cable length of 3 meters will be fine. This interface is known as a voltage bridge connection where the preamp is acting as a voltage source and almost no current is drawn. Certainly the resistance of the interconnect cable is considered insignificant given the high input impedance of the amplifier.

Generally, a preamp with a high output impedance requires close attention to cable lengths. The concern is that the high reactance (frequency dependant resistance caused by capacitance) of the longer cable, combined with a high output impedance of the preamp, creates a low pass filter which adversely affects bandwidth. This distortion of the higher frequencies increases with higher output impedance's.

So, here's the rub. Unlike speaker cables (where we don't give a darn about capacitance), with an interconnect it becomes important. Capacitance results in a reactance (frequency dependant resistance) that will roll off the high frequencies. It becomes more and more a factor, the higher the output impedance of your preamp becomes or the longer your interconnects become. This reasoning is why they insist when you use a "passive" preamp you use super short, super low capacitance cables, because they have fairly high output impedance's.

In your case where you're using a solid state preamp and a solid state amplifier and using shielded interconnects with a typical capacitance per foot value, you can probably go 5 times the 3 meter distance before you'll experience any negative effects.

brucek

Comment

• SiliGoose
                      • Aug 2000

Thanks, Bruce. Glad to have an experts input (get it, "input"? -I crack me up!)

Good to know I could extend as far as 5 times my current distance if necessary. I've toyed around with moving my equipment racks to the side of my seating area. Maybe in my next house I'll play around with that.

-Sili
                      www.campmurphy.net

Comment

• MRWILLL
                        • Aug 2000

I use Monster 1000i in the (custom) 4-meter length for my 5 amps without any problems.

STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                        DVD...Hear it from the people who
                        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".
                        STOP!!...LOOK!!...LISTEN!!
                        DVD...Hear it from the people who
                        mixed and mastered it "LEXICON".

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"