X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maximumshow
    • Nov 2004

Diy interconnect differences

I am getting confused by all the info I've found regarding DIY interconnects! More specifically, I am trying to figure out what type of cable should be used for a subwoofer IC. Some say Canare 4e6s starquad, some say coaxial is what you need, etc etc... I just can't get a straight answer as to what I need.

The sub IC is the first one I will make, then later 5 ICs from pre/pro to amp. Should I make them all the same (but different lengths), or should the sub IC be designed differently? Any special considerations to think about for either cable?

Hehe, I'm getting impatient, as I want to order cable to build them, but don't want to order the wrong stuff due to a tight budget.

Anyone out there with a lot of experience building ICs, subwoofer ICs in particular?

If Lex the CatCable guru would chime in I'd be grateful :T

Thanks
  • Paul H
    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by maximumshow
    If Lex the CatCable guru would chime in I'd be grateful :T

Thanks

Lex makes and sells cables, and for understandable reasons (IMO) isn't terribly fond or supportive of discussions on diy cables on his (he owns it) forum.

Paul

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Primarily I recommend a good shielded cable. We've taken a minimalist approach to sub cables, as you can see on the web site, the Coolcat is among the least expensive cables we sell. It's not a big profit item, rather it's a service to our customers more than anything. Yeah, we make lunch money on it, but it's not much when you consider labor. So, what does that tell you? It tells you that primarily we value decent quality materials for subs, but not the finest. Any quality shielded bare copper wire is sufficient. Is it better to use a higher grade wire? Well sure, it could be. But the likelihood of you actually "hearing it", is marginal unless you move to silver. I do think you can hear more dynamics and crispness to the bass with silver vs copper.

A coaxial cable will do the job. An audio grade wire we feel is a little better than video grade. Why? because it's what it's designed to do. Yeah sure, the vid grade coax will do the job ok, and you won't ever know it's not right likely. It's just we do recommend the right solution, so we recommend 50 ohm audio wire, but well shielded.

Use what's handy, or buy a high grade wire from us, or similar.

Doug
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• maximumshow
        • Nov 2004

Lex makes and sells cables, and for understandable reasons (IMO) isn't terribly fond or supportive of discussions on diy cables on his (he owns it) forum.

Paul
        Sorry I meant no offense at all... To be honest I was already strongly considering getting a CoolCat from Cat cables, as the reviews have been awesome. The only problem for me right now is the almighty dollar .

Lex, thanks for the info, and once again sorry if the question was innapropriate. Being on a tight budget and living in Canada makes it difficult to get good commercial cables at a price I can afford. DIY may be the only realistic way for me to go (still need an amp! :lol: ). I'd also like to keep all my ICs the same look.

Would it be possible, Lex, to do a coolcat at 20' in red? Are they all made in black? Like I said before I was already looking at the coolcats, and I'd like all my cables eventually to be red. If you can do that I may just pick one up :T

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Well, I could possibly get red nylon cover, but it has not been a prior stock item. I do have red heat shrink for the ends, but covering the entire cable in red is a new request.

Your post is ok, so don't worry about that, and if you can't afford it due to US dollar, shipping etc... I understand.

I'll quote if you want a quote, but right now that's on a standard Coolcat, not red.

Doug
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"