X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rick Hunter
    • Apr 2008

Interconnect help!

This is a newbie question for sure but I'm looking for a good solid answer all the same. I have a 7.1 channel pre/pro. I have a 5 channel power amp along with 2 mono blocks. I know, ..... well at least I'm pretty sure, that I am supposed to use three "red" colored interconnects for my FR, SR, and BR connections from Pre to Power Amps. I know that I'm supposed to do likewise with three "white" colored interconnects to support my FL, SL, and BL. I even know I'm supposed to hook up my .1 (Sub) with sub cable coming from the LFE or sub connection from my pre/pro. What I don't know, is what kind/color/type of interconnect cable am I supposed to use to connect the "CENTER CHANNEL" pre amp RCA output to amp RCA input? Is it White? Is it Red? I can't find an answer to what really ought to be a simple question. Before passing judgement on my lack of knowledge in this capacity, consider this,.... I have been looking on the web for three days for this answer to no avail. I have heard that all interconnects are the same, that I can use coat hanger because it doesn't sound any different then Monster, Tara Labs, Kimber Kable, Audioquest, Cardas, etc..... I have been told that there is no difference between digital coaxial interconnect and RCA interconnect because they both use RCA terminations. I've heard that you can use component video cables to connect Front, Center, and Left speakers but that they don't work nearly as well as three individual composite video cables for audio since they are "shielded better" then component cables. Other sites just tell me not to trust ebay interconnects from Hong Kong since they are more then likely fakes. Anyway, I hope some audiophile out there can help set the record straight for me. I wish I could talk to Robert Harley in person and just ask him what the best interconnect is for hooking up a center channel. Well thanks for letting me vent. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me.
  • aarsoe
    • May 2004

Don't worry about the color coding. That is only there to allow you to differentiate the individual cables. So any RCA cable will do - no matter what color it has..

Comment

• Space
      • Aug 2009

Yeah, the only reason they have different colors is to help you plug the right cable into the right place. If every cable is black you have to run your finger along each one to verify where it starts and where it ends.

Comment

• whoaru99
        • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Rick Hunter
        This is a newbie question for sure but I'm looking for a good solid answer all the same. I have a 7.1 channel pre/pro. I have a 5 channel power amp along with 2 mono blocks. I know, ..... well at least I'm pretty sure, that I am supposed to use three "red" colored interconnects for my FR, SR, and BR connections from Pre to Power Amps. I know that I'm supposed to do likewise with three "white" colored interconnects to support my FL, SL, and BL. I even know I'm supposed to hook up my .1 (Sub) with sub cable coming from the LFE or sub connection from my pre/pro. What I don't know, is what kind/color/type of interconnect cable am I supposed to use to connect the "CENTER CHANNEL" pre amp RCA output to amp RCA input? Is it White? Is it Red?
        As has been mentioned, colors are only to help YOU get the connections right. The system, music, or movie soundtrack don't care what colors you use.

I have been looking on the web for three days for this answer to no avail. I have heard that all interconnects are the same, that I can use coat hanger because it doesn't sound any different then Monster, Tara Labs, Kimber Kable, Audioquest, Cardas, etc..... .
        You will find about half the people think cables don't make much difference as long as they're not broken, the other half thinks they can make a big difference. You have to decide for yourself in these matters.

Personally, I believe in decent quality connectors, decent cable stock, and decent assembly/craftsmanship. Beyond that, well...you'll have to deal with the anecdotal evidence one way or the other in support or rejection of various brands, theories, materials, etc.

I have been told that there is no difference between digital coaxial interconnect and RCA interconnect because they both use RCA terminations.
        There may or may not be a difference between these two types of cables. Cables for digital audio interconnects that we typically deal with in home use should be coaxial-type cables having 75 ohm characteristic impedance (don't bother trying to check it with a multimenter...can only be measured with advanced test gear). "Audio" cables have no specific requirement for characteristic impedance and may be of coaxial construction, twisted pair construction, braided construction, or any other various types of construction.

All that said, the digital signal is fairly robust over short distances and just about any cable "works" but isn't necessarily technically correct.

Composite/component video cables make good digital audio interconnects because they're typically made from the proper type of coaxial cable.

I've heard that you can use component video cables to connect Front, Center, and Left speakers but that they don't work nearly as well as three individual composite video cables for audio since they are "shielded better" then component cables.
        A component video cable and a composite video cable are basically the same thing, except that component video cables often come bundled in threes because that's how many you need for a component connection.

Either will typically work just fine for an analog audio, digital audio, or subwoofer interconnect.

Other sites just tell me not to trust ebay interconnects from Hong Kong since they are more then likely fakes. Anyway, I hope some audiophile out there can help set the record straight for me.
        I think it is proper to excercise due care when ordering anything from a largely unknown source. It is true - there can be fakes of all sorts of things out there, not just cables.

Some of these things are topics of great debate as you have discovered in your Internet searching. You'll have to explore for yourself in these matters beyond the basics I've just outlined.
        There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

Rick, I manufacture cables at CAT Cables, I do color coding for convenience.

Actually, from a shere technical standpoint, both 75 ohm coax and standard non 75 ohm interconnect wire both functions. Some have believed for a long time that having foil shielding on an audio interconnect compresses the sound, and is not optimzed for high level audio transmission.

Many of my customers have agreed, and purchased my audio only grade interconnects. Some 75 ohm coax is better for analog transmission than other, but in the end, it is not optimized for analog. It's optimized for digital and video.

Doug
          CATCables.com
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Kevin P
            • Aug 2000

In the case of those 10 cent "pack-in" cables that come with components, there is no difference between the colors. While the red, white and yellow are typically used for right, left, and composite video, there's nothing stopping you from using it as a component video cable, as long as you plug the right ends in the right places. Or as 3 coaxial digital cables, or three channels from your pre-pro to amp or what have you. In some installs I've even used them for unrelated purposes, such as a digital coax from a DVD player to a receiver and L/R audio from something else to the receiver, say if I had no other cables available to use.

Higher grade interconnects (such as Doug's excellent CAT cables) are generally constructed differently for audio, video, and digital duties. Video and digital typically use 75-ohm coaxial cable, while audio may be twisted pair, untwisted pair, coax, or something else.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"