X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • toledoguy
    • Jul 2008

Does Length of Interconnect effect quality of sound

I'm in the process of purchasing some new interconnects. I've done a fair amount of research and found a brand and particluar "model" that I like. Howver, there is a good chance that I'll be rearranging my system in the near future so exactly what length is needed is a bit up in the air. The pre-amp to amp set up may be as short as a few feet, but it could be a few yards, it just depends upon a few factors beyond my control right now (my wife). So it's got me thinking, I'm aware that as the distance increases resitance in a speaker wire increases and that can effect the ultimate output. So for longer runs a larger guage speaker wire is needed. Is there a similiar concern with interconnects? Specifically is there a length that should not be exceeded? In the alternative as length increases should the interconnect me made of a particular material, or have a particular construction technique? I think the maxium length that I need is 20 feet. Is that distance enough to get worried about the issues I raise here? Any help would be appreciated, and if I'm totally off base here, let me know, or if there is some other concern I've totally missed please let me know. Thanks for the help.
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I usually try and go with the shortest run possible. Especially with interconnects as it's such a low signal level that the slightest amount of capacitance can mess with the signal. Some may notice some may not but that's my .02.

Comment

• Johnloudb
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2007

I've used 20 foot lengths of interconnect, preamp to amp, with no problem. The resistance of the cable is a non factor as it is negligibly small. However, like Doug mentioned, the capacitance may affect the sound if your preamp has an high output impedance, say 1kohms or more. But it's unlikely to have much affect. It needs to be a shielded cable and have twisted leads so it won't pick up noise. I like the DH Labs cables like the BL-1 (DHLABS- 57225), at Parts Connexion (www.partsconnexion.com). Although you'd need to solder your own connectors on. Either RCA or XLR.

There's lots of options though.
      John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

If your staying around 3-10 feet I doubt you'd notice much of a difference. But everyone is different and some people at least claim they can hear little differences and I suppose that's possible

Comment

• toledoguy
          • Jul 2008

My preamp is an Outlaw 990, the amps are Rotel RB-1050 and a RMB-1066. Checking the outlaw website, it states that the pre out output is 1kohms, 1.0 V. Can you explain what you mean by a capacitance problem? I can if need be, keep the amps close enough to the preamp to keep the interconnedt at no more than 6 feet. I'm a little concerned that 3 feet won't be enough. Thanks for the help

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"