X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Same here... you'd think a month in companies would be in a frenzy announcing BD titles.
    -Chuck

Comment

• David Meek
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

The studios probably have the mastering companies scrambling to fit in the big sellers as soon as possible in an already full schedule, unless these titles are on hold for the 2008 Christmas season. Call me a cynic. . . .

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Well, IMHO, just because the war's over doesn't mean we'll immediately see all movies transferred to HD. Remember, it took years and years for VHS movies to be re-released on DVD. (and then we had to fight with issues like non-anamorphic transfers) :roll: Anyone recall the long, drug-out time that Lucas took to release any SW movies on DVD? Give it time, though, and they'll all come out.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• hifiguymi
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
          Anyone recall the long, drug-out time that Lucas took to release any SW movies on DVD? Give it time, though, and they'll all come out.
          From what I understood with Star Wars, it took them a long time to restore them. The original reels didn't exist and they had to find the best copy they could and digitally clean up every frame!! Talk about time consuming.

I would bet Lucas also waited until market penetration was great enough (for him) so he would be virtually guarantied big sales numbers. I'm one who would love to have them in HD along with The Lord of the Rings.

Eric

Comment

• impala454
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Chris D
            Well, IMHO, just because the war's over doesn't mean we'll immediately see all movies transferred to HD.
            Oh I understand that, I just figured by now we would have at least seen some stirring around/possible announcements about the big name titles on BD.
            -Chuck

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Actually, the irony is now that the war is over, we could actually see less newly developed films. I mean there's no competition driving them. Only profit driving them now.
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• hifiguymi
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lex
                Actually, the irony is now that the war is over, we could actually see less newly developed films. I mean there's no competition driving them. Only profit driving them now.
                There's a ton of competition - HD DVR's, downloads, DVD. Yes, they can make more money on BD right now and that should drive the movie studios to develop films so they can sell them at a higher price than they can DVD's right now. As fas as the BD release slate is filling right now I think there will be quite a few big titles coming late this summer through the holidays.

Eric

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

Well they can't make money from me if they don't put BDs to market that I want to shell out $30 for . I mean, at first I was buying movies I might not normally buy, just to see them on blu-ray (i.e cars, ratatouille, etc), but that "wow" factor is wearing off and now I just want my favorites and whatever good new movies come out. I doubt I will concern myself w/"catalog" titles anymore (at least those not in my favorites list).
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

Just because they charge more doesn't mean they make more. I'm sure DVD is extremely cheap to produce.

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

Oh I didn't mean to imply they wouldnt make money from me because they're $30, I just meant that the "wow factor" of buying up any BD I see has worn off. So they're not going to make any more money off of me until I start seeing the real "meat & potatoes" movies come out on BD.
                      -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                        Yes, they can make more money on BD right now and that should drive the movie studios to develop films so they can sell them at a higher price than they can DVD's right now.
                        Eric
                        I was referring to this comment.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                          • Apr 2005

This has been an amazing thread... It's been my pleasure checking in on it

BTW: This past week I downloaded:

Lock Stock and two smoking
                          Fight club
                          The Red Violin
                          Office Space
                          Both Kill Bills
                          Snatch
                          The Hills have eyes (guilty pleasure.. sorry)
                          Sneakers
                          Harold and Maud
                          The Hitcher
                          The Venture Bros. Season one and two
                          Dave
                          Full metal Jacket

that's all I can remember.. a few other TV series crap

I'm not even going to tell you how many movies I have on my hard drive...
                          at lower quality than BD 8) as you know but hey.. I have a 720P TV like 85% of the rest of Flat panel owners...

oh yeah.. Silent Running I down loaded that also...

anyway: Just stirring the pot.. (is the clock ticking) 11 months and one week to go (jeeze by then I'll have 5,000 movies)

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Where are you downloading movies from?

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

Well, interesting... now that the format war is over, Amazon has changed their "Product War" tracker, comparing sales data of HD-DVD vs. BD, over to "Blu-Ray vs. standard DVD". This will be interesting to watch over time, as BD becomes more prevalent. We'll see if it progresses near the same rate as DVD grew compared to VHS.

eproductwars.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, eproductwars.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Lex
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Apr 2001

At the freaking prices I saw for newer releases this weekend, sales may go the other way. 38.00 for Wallstreet??? Give me a break, the movie is older than Methusala, won't be fantastic HD material anyway. *Michael Douglas.

It seemed anything in BD that had come in lately at this store with "retail pricing" was 37.99!!! I'll quit buying at those prices. I will only buy top thrillers, top movies like Borne, or Spiderman 1, or movies with the whoopla of Rings, etc... No Wallstreet, or other romantic comedies or such.
                                Doug

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

I hear you, Doug. I posted a thread in AV Chalet about how much profit Lions Gate ( and other studios ) is making on Blu-ray discs. And as for Wall Street, it's a Fox movie and they are pricing their Blu discs higher than any of the studios. Bloody ridiculous and just outright greedy.
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

My guess is that they're going to milk the BD cow for anything they can, while they can, before it dies off and with no competition now all you early adopters will pay it.
                                    Jason

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

Jason, you can save the download talk, I am not interested. LOL I'll just subscribe to showtime first, watch my 500 movies mixed in, and be happy. I don't want downloads.

And Jason, it is not early now. Not really.

I'll stick with discs, I've got players for both formats, I'll continue to buy both as long as both are available, but not at 38.00. Fox can choke on em'.

Thanks for the info George. I already have Wallstreet on standard DVD, it's certainly not a rebuy movie. Yeah, extortion, and I feared this would happen when HDDVD went away.
                                      Doug

Comment

• aud19
                                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Aug 2003

I didn't mention anything about downloads :

And being that there still, about two years after introduction, isn't a fully capable BD player available and player/disc sales are still pretty minute...I'd say it is pretty early still.
                                        Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Lex
                                          I already have Wallstreet on standard DVD, it's certainly not a rebuy movie.
                                          Same here. There are many titles in my dvd collection I'd like to own on Blu but at the prices they want, and my being on a fixed income thingy, I am very selective. I have been fortunate in replacing some titles at good prices, such as The Searchers, Bullitt, The Getaway, etc., which I got at Amazon for under $20 bucks, but others will have to wait for better pricing or I can just stick with DVD which looks pretty good upconverted to 1080p by my player.
                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Apr 2001

DVD also was fairly slow to grow at first Jason. There is one other thing that will help HD along. December of this year standard TV broadcasts cease, meaning they are forcing everyone to HD or converters anyway, as people replace sets, HD sets are bound to grow in sales, eventually, it probably will be HD all the way, so people will begin to look more at HD players as they hopefully continue to go down in price. Well, if they are smart they will!
                                            Doug

Comment

• Chetk
                                              • May 2004

Sorry Lex, I have to make this correction:

First, it's Feb. of '09.

Second, nobody is being forced to broadcast in HD. Everybody is forced to stop broadcasting analog, but the stations have three options.
                                              1. Stop broadcasting anything at all (highly unlikely)
                                              2. Broadcast the SD content digitally. (Very likely to happen.)
                                              3. Broadcast digitally in HD. (Likely to happen depending on which market you live in.)

Note that there is a difference between broadcasting digitally and broadcasting in HD. Certainly, all HD is digital, but not all digital is HD. The broadcast requirement is digital and not HD.

Comment

• Chetk
                                                • May 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                                I didn't mention anything about downloads :

And being that there still, about two years after introduction, isn't a fully capable BD player available and player/disc sales are still pretty minute...I'd say it is pretty early still.
                                                Also, Jason, the PS3 is a full-featured Blu-Ray player now. BD-Live (profile 2.0) and also decodes every audio format available. Didn't take long after HD-DVD went away for this to happen.

Also, Blu-ray content and disc sales are actually growing at a faster rate than DVD if you look at Blu-Rays life span so far and compare it to the same amount of time into DVD's life span.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2007

Universal has finally joined the BD bandwagon. Now if Paramount would, life would be good.

www.HomeMediaMagazine.com covers breaking news about the home entertainment industry. News on Blu-ray, high-definition, electronic delivery, TV DVD, and video games, including studios and retailer news, industry event photos, polls, commentary & information.

Eric

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Nice!
                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                      • Nov 2003

I know this does not have anything whatsoever to do with hd-dvd but out of curiosity did anyone here ever have the disc playing machine called ced/capacitance electronic disc or vhd/variable high density which used a stylist diamond (ced) and emerald (vhd) and the recording media of course was vinyl protected by a plastic sleeve so as no dirt or dust could harm the media.

Originally rca and jvc manufactured these video players which were first released in mono then stereo but tended to skip at times.
                                                      Last edited by H.T.C; 18 April 2008, 14:31 Friday.
                                                      Robert

Comment

• Lex
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Apr 2001

ok, chet, thanks for the clarification. I have not literally kept up that much, since I am HD capable anyway.
                                                        Doug

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by H.T.C
                                                          I know this does not have anything whatsoever to do with hd-dvd but out of curiously did anyone here ever have the disc playing machine called ced/capacitance electronic disc or vhd/variable high density which used a stylist diamond (ced) and emerald (vhd) and the recording media of course was vinyl protected by a plastic sleeve so as no dirt or dust could harm the media.

Originally rca and jvc manufactured these video players which were first released in mono then stereo but tended to skip at times.
                                                          I knew someone who had one of these. He eventually garbaged everything because the player was troublesome and the discs were hard to find. If I recall correctly, didn't this device eventually lead to the laserdisc ?
                                                          My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                                            I knew someone who had one of these. He eventually garbaged everything because the player was troublesome and the discs were hard to find. If I recall correctly, didn't this device eventually lead to the laserdisc ?
                                                            I believe your right about that or atleast nearly the same time.

The laser disc was invented in 1959 and then marketed in 1960 (non-consumer edition) for $500,000 or $350,000 not sure which number it was or what av magazine or article where the history on it came from.
                                                            Robert

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2007

And finally the last domino falls. Paramount is back on the BD bandwagon. It's about time!! Now if Transformers will show up........

www.HomeMediaMagazine.com covers breaking news about the home entertainment industry. News on Blu-ray, high-definition, electronic delivery, TV DVD, and video games, including studios and retailer news, industry event photos, polls, commentary & information.

Eric

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Jan 2006

Now Bee Movie comes to BD....after I already bought in on DVD. You know this movie upconverts extremely well though.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                  • Mar 2007

That is usually the case with anamation. However, when you see a high def version of the same movie it usually knocks your socks off. Have you seen Ratatouille? That BD is amazing!!

Ec

Comment

• aud19
                                                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Aug 2003

BD sales are apparently "stagnant":

NewsFactor | CIO Today | Top Tech News | Sci-Tech Today
                                                                    Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Jan 2001

In the article , ABI research says HD dvd won't kick in for about a year and a half when full featured players will sell for $200. That I can believe. And software won't take off either until it is priced much more reasonably. Now I do see the odd bargain, but they are not new releases, and that's where they have to take another look at their pricing, especially Sony and Fox who seem to think consumers are willing to pay $35 for a Blu-ray title.
                                                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Nov 2003

Its not just the price anymore not after viewing a dvd (cant remember if it was a pink panther film with alan arkin as the inspector or the tim conway/don notts movie the private eyes or even another disc) but the intro to the disc was a commercial about a person wouldn't do this and another would not commit that so why record off a dvd,that of course is illegal.

I dont know about the rest of the hobbiests here but its awfully tiresome that the movie and music industry keeps calling us gypsys,tramps and thieves especially if wasn't for the general consumer most of the actors/bands/ceos would be working at wendys and on side note most in fast food or factories do not make royalty fees and all those who work in the motion picture and music industries which believe that consumers are just money making machines can stick it where the sun dont shine.

I am thinking about never buying a movie or music cd again or renting and going back to just dxing radio be it am/fm/sw/sat instead.
                                                                        Robert

Comment

• wettou
                                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                                          • May 2006
                                                                          • 3389

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                                                                          In the article , ABI research says HD dvd won't kick in for about a year and a half when full featured players will sell for $200. That I can believe. And software won't take off either until it is priced much more reasonably. Now I do see the odd bargain, but they are not new releases, and that's where they have to take another look at their pricing, especially Sony and Fox who seem to think consumers are willing to pay $35 for a Blu-ray title.
                                                                          I will never pay $35 for a blu ray they need to come down to $15 like DVDs on Amazon.

If they don't apple will eat their lunch

Déja vu any one!!
                                                                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• littlesaint
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2007
                                                                            • 823

It will be an interesting game to see how Blu-ray proceeds. Sales of media won't drop in price until volumes pick up. Even then it's a maybe. Studios already have a $10-$15 dollar product in DVD. Also, let's not forget the studios (even Sony) are cutting deals left and right for alternative HD delivery whether HDTV channels, downloads, or streaming. Why not have a premium product as well? Just as Netflix's CEO said "HD consumers are used to paying more." :M

No matter what, media sales volume won't pickup until people actually start buying players, and there again, at least for now, you have a pricing problem.
                                                                            Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2003
                                                                              • 368

It seems sony has made a statement that digital distribution will be the preferred method for buying by 2018 which could be as much as 90%of all videogame sales,not sure about the percentage wouid be for film,it wasn't said.
                                                                              Robert

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2007
                                                                                • 3814

i'm starting to see blu-ray catalog titles lowering in price... saw several for around $15-18 at wal mart the other day. hopefully that's just the tip of the iceberg...
                                                                                -Chuck

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2007
                                                                                  • 1532

Amazon has a pretty good sale going right now as well.

Eric

Comment

• Chris D
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Dec 2000
                                                                                    • 16877

Oooh, an overall price drop would be quite nice.
                                                                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Jan 2001
                                                                                      • 7637

A lot of those Amazon sale titles are available at Walmart here for between $13 and $18. I was pleased to see the remastered Fifth Element for $18 as I wanted to get it to replace my Superbit version, but up until now they wanted $35 for the Blu disc.
                                                                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Oct 2007
                                                                                        • 3814

blu-ray 12 pack coming out June 10th... not a bad deal for a chunk of catalog titles, $162 on amazon (free shipping), comes out to $13.50/title.

Black Hawk Down
                                                                                        Casino Royale
                                                                                        The Fifth Element
                                                                                        Gattaca
                                                                                        Hellboy
                                                                                        House of Flying Daggers
                                                                                        A Knight's Tale
                                                                                        Layer Cake
                                                                                        Spider-man
                                                                                        Superbad
                                                                                        Talladega Nights
                                                                                        Underworld Evolution
                                                                                        -Chuck

Comment

• Chetk
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • May 2004
                                                                                          • 247

The war is over. Shouldn't this thread be locked and, like HD-DVD, put to rest? There are other threads to discuss Blu-Ray goodness.

Comment

• impala454
                                                                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                            • Oct 2007
                                                                                            • 3814

Why lock the thread? We've just been updating as we see new prices/titles coming out/etc.
                                                                                            -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"