2 channel sources and useing a powered subwoofer ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

2 channel sources and useing a powered subwoofer ?

just started wondering about a few things related to 2 channel situations and powered subwoofers.

1. For those that are into 2 channel or hyrid HT/2 channel, how often do you use a subwoofer if at all?

2. Does listening to vinyl lend itself to having a subwoofer whatsoever?

3. I can say through my extensive use of 2 channel CDs, that I find that some recordings are better just using the two main speakers, while other stuff, especially live music for some reason, I like to fill the room with more bass. Is this the norm?

4. So, if you have some 2channel separates, and want to use your powered sub (if used at all), then how do you do that. What connections, pieces are involved?
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

You may find a bit of info from this thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=27695

I prefer not to use the sub at all for 2-channel CD listening.

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

I personally always have my sub engaged, regardless of the media source, straight out of my pre-pro.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• Hamblis
        • Dec 2007

I have a powered sub woofer engaged full time. I have a DAC with a volume control and both balanced and single ended outputs so I use balanced for my amp and one of the single ended connections for the sub woofer.

My speakers roll off at around 40Hz in room and I use the sub's crossover control to bring it in around 45Hz. I find that the sub enhances everything I play whether on vinyl or optical disc formats. Even Schubert's Lieder, which should have no content to bother it, are enhanced by the sub. I can't say why or how but anyone with the patience to listen to my demonstrations ops: can hear the difference - more substance and satisfaction with the sub in. I've read elsewhere of this phenomenon even with full range speakers and a sub.

The main problem is that the level required from the sub differs according to the material I play. If you don't have a sub yet, I'd really recommend you get one that has a remote control and programmable presets so that you can set up several different level settings which you can select for, say, classical, rock and movies. Velodyne have models that support this and others must have, too. One thing I've learned is to keep the level of sub volume to a minimum - if you're aware of it, it's doing too much.

Steve

Comment

• dtb300
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Hamblis
          The main problem is that the level required from the sub differs according to the material I play. If you don't have a sub yet, I'd really recommend you get one that has a remote control and programmable presets so that you can set up several different level settings which you can select for, say, classical, rock and movies. Velodyne have models that support this and others must have, too. One thing I've learned is to keep the level of sub volume to a minimum - if you're aware of it, it's doing too much.
          Good points here. The ability to change the level and settings of the sub from your seated position is a feature I could never live without ever again. When I did not have this feature, I did not know what I was missing. Just like a remote volume control for my Pre Amp - again something I would never live without.

Good point on being aware of the sub. If you can point to it for the sound, it is set too high either in level or cross over points.

For the source, my opinion is all sources can benefit from a properly setup sub.

To answer the OP question, I always use my sub (Paradigm Servo 15 V.2) using it primarily with the XO setting at the -3dB down point of my mains. Fills in very seamlessly and most that hear my setup do not even know it is running.

Comment

• twitch54
            • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dtb300
            Fills in very seamlessly and most that hear my setup do not even know it is running.
            He's right, I've heard it !! Oh BTW, Dan's system not only integrates the bottom end seamlessly but with solid authority as well.

FWIW, I too utilize a servo based sub for all my two channel as well, Velodyne DD-15.
            Dave

Comment

• dtb300
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by twitch54
              He's right, I've heard it !! Oh BTW, Dan's system not only integrates the bottom end seamlessly but with solid authority as well.
              FWIW, I too utilize a servo based sub for all my two channel as well, Velodyne DD-15.
              Twitch...Thanks for the kind comments.

Another thing which will also help out the low end and sub integration is the addition of room acoustic treatments. This will be some of the best improvements not only in your low end but over all sound of your setup.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"