• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dmantis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jun 2004

M&K MX-125 Mark II Subwoofer

What's up everyone?
    I recently aquired a used M&K sub woofer. It had a bad Phase switch which was causing it to pop. The person I got it from didn't want to get it fixed and decided to get a new woofer.
    I took this subwoofer home, fixed the Switch and decided to add it into my system to give it a full workout and hear how it would integrate with my full Definitive Technology Mythos system.
    My speakers are as follows.
    Mythos ST mains using the internal Subwoofers as dual .LFE
    Mythos 10 mounted on wall above TV as Center
    Mythos 10 used for surround channel speakers.
    This system doesn't need a external subwoofer as my room isn't huge and the ST internal woofers working together placed perfectly for 2 channel music really fill the room with bass and handles the .LFE tracks wonderfully for movies. I have no desire to improve on this system at this time but found this incredibly fun to add a 3rd woofer.

So the first time around I wired the M&K into the left channel Subwoofer out or Sub out 1 with a splitter(AudioQuest RCA) and fed both the left channel Mythos ST subwoofer and the M&K. On the right side I have the Sub 2 out connected to the Right channel Mythos ST subwoofer.
    Calibrating this 3 subwoofer system was fun as I own a Pioneer Elite SC-68 receiver and it only outputs one .LFE Test signal out of both Sub 1 and Sub 2. This is something that drives me crazy as the Pioneer Elite SC-09tx had the ability to test tone each Sub out which it also had 2 (First of it's kind) and you could calibrate each sub independently. I owned the SC-07 which only had 1 sub out back in the day and waited for a new SC model to come out with dual sub outs. When Pioneer started shipping SC models with dual sub outs I got excited but extremely let down when I found out that every single model is just a internal splitter. Sucks but I love the sound and functionality of the Elite receivers so I created my own calibration before running MCACC. If you want to know about this calibration, I can go into full details if asked.

After a Calibrated the M&K into my system , I ran one of my all time favorite movies "The Matrix" on Blu ray. Scene 29 is the one and all of you who demo this movies knows that scene. With the M&K I noticed a fuller more "Real Movie Like" tone in the room. With 3 subwoofers running , you really have no dead spots in my room. I sat at every location and didn't notice any Nulls. I don't really have any with just 2 woofers running but this M&K is very smooth and paper driver commercial sounding. I really like that a lot. I watched Pacific Rim , Iron Man 3 with this configuration and what a wonderful experience it is.

I then decided to remove .LFE from the Mythos ST subs and just run the M&K as a sole .LFE channel. So now the Mythos ST only have speaker wire with no Line level RCA connections. I re calibrated and re ran some scenes. What I noticed is a very full clean and powerful low end. The Mythos ST's are ran in large speaker level so they are handling the Left and Right channel Bass info but no .LFE. This M&K sub is amazingly clean. It doesn't rumble lose composure at all. It's actually fantastic how damn clean powerful and quick it is. It jumps out at you, tells you somethings going on, completely disappears into the room and sound field and perfectly fills in the bottom end. I like that it can blend in so well without calling any attention to itself. Most subwoofer call attention to themselves as they bloat , load and play what I like to call 1 note. This M&K tracks the extension of whatever your playing. It sounds with a lack of a better way to describe it "Real".

So lastly I decided to cut the Mythos ST down to Small 80hz and run some music with the M&K playing the low end. WOW is the first thing that came to mind. This woofer is extremely musical like REL sub bass systems are. I completely reminded me of my Sumiko days and how damn good I could get a REL to blend into any system. REL subwoofers if you don't know are probably the most musical subs made. They are very unique when set up properly and are IMO the best Musical subs. Not the best HT subs but if you are a double duty sub kinda person, REL is a serious sub to check out.
    The M&K without speaker level running to it, only using RCA Line level out and still using the .LFE out not Preout Left and Right for music is flat out amazing. Kick drums sound like Kick Drums, they sound like PA speakers setup perfectly at a club or small venue. I run sound from time to time for a friends band and this M&K has a Pro audio sound to it.

I can't lie, I love my Mythos ST speakers and think they are one of the very best double duty speakers I have ever owned or came across. I fully enjoy their abilities to handle .LFE for movies and then listen to some Jazz without any Subwoofer issues. They sound full range and clean. But this M&K subwoofer I think is slightly better in overall realness. It just has that real sound to it that only paper driver drivers have at high end levels.

Years ago I have Installed M&K THX home theater systems and was always blown away how damn good they sounded but never spent anytime playing music with that system. I would love to get my hands on a full M&K THX system and go for a double duty setup with 2 of these subs.

I'll post a few pics.
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new toy! And a very nice write-up! Thanks for posting your impressions.

I've always enjoyed the M&K sound. While I have listen to many people over the years say "Good HT speakers but, they don't do music very well.", I use mine quite a bit for music.

My listening room has a 7 speakers M&K setup. I've never owned one of their subwoofers. When I auditioned them in stores, I loved what they brought to the party. Somehow, I never purchased one. I even listened to an MX-200 or 250 (can't remember, I know it wasn't the 350) from the current company MK Sound. Honestly, its was as close to the sound of the originals as my memory can recall. One day I just have to get one to complete my system.

Anyway, enjoy the new sub!
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Cool, man. I run a 7 channel M&K system in my theater based on the THX S-150's. Originally, it had the high-end THX subwoofer in there, but I've relegated that to my living room system, where it's way more than needed, and I use my dual SVS PC-Ultras in my theater.
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"