X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audiognostic
    • Jan 2008

Parasound P3/A23 with Subwoofer?

I'm building a 2.1 system from scratch and recently picked up an A23 Demo. I was looking to add a matched P3, when I realized it has no bass management. Does anyone on this forum have experience using this combo with a subwoofer? How did you set it up, and how did you like the results? From what I can tell, the options are:
    1. Run cable from P3 to powered subwoofer's crossover, run high pass subwoofer output to A23 and then to speakers.
    2. Use Y-splitters out of the p3 to the subwoofer and A23.
    3. Use balanced connectors from P3 to A23 and unbalanced from P3 to subwoofer.
    4. Use line out loop from A23 to subwoofer.

None of these options seem ideal, as #1 requires long cable runs to and from where the subwoofer will be and #2-4 don't save my monitors from any of the bass load. Is this limitation enough reason to consider a different preamp? Any rumors about Parasound coming out with a 2 channel preamp with bass management a la the New Classic 2100?

Thanks
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hey, welcome to the Guide and Club Parasound! :banana: As for the question about the preamp, have you actually checked out the 2100? Or are you wanting to stay with an actual matched Halo set? (certainly don't blame you)

The thing that comes to my mind is, if you run any option other than #1 you list above, as you mention you won't be using any sort of crossover to split a signal to go to either a speaker or the subwoofer. If you want to do it right, perhaps get an external crossover as well?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Audiognostic
      • Jan 2008

Thanks. The 2100 is a possibility, but I haven't seen any reviews, don't know if the sound quality is similar to the P3 and would prefer to match the look of the A23.

If I do get a P3, any recommendations on external crossovers? I assume it gets placed after the preamp, splitting to the amp and powered sub. Would a passive crossover work in this setup?

Comment

• HTLover
        • Oct 2007

Here is a pretty good review on the 2100 preamp.

Comment

• thunderstorm77
          • Jul 2007

I asked Parasound, they told me to connect it like this (I have speakers with integrated subs):

Your speakers with integrated subs already have an appropriate crossover for the subs.

The connection is easy:

1. Connect the L and R balanced XLR output jacks on the P 3 to the balanced XLR input jacks on the A 23.
          2. Connect the L and R unbalanced RCA output jacks on the P 3 to the subwoofer line in jacks on the speakers.
          3. Adjust the sub level on the speakers.

That’s all there is to it. You don’t need the built in crossover as the Model 2100 has (which is for subs which don’t have their own crossovers).

This sounds ok to me. It doesn't take any load off my speakers, which I don't think I need.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"