X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • timetohunt
    • Feb 2007

2 channel source and use of powered subwoofers

Sorry - I just posted this in Audio Hideout where I think its more appropriate - this can be deleted.

just started wondering about a few things related to 2 channel situations and powered subwoofers.

1. For those that are into 2 channel or hyrid HT/2 channel, how often do you use a subwoofer if at all?

2. Does listening to vinyl lend itself to having a subwoofer whatsoever?

3. I can say through my extensive use of 2 channel CDs, that I find that some recordings are better just using the two main speakers, while other stuff, espicially live for some some reason, I like to fill the room with more bass. Is this the norm?

4. So, if you have some 2channel separates, and want to use your powered sub (if used at all), then how do you do that. What connections, pieces are involved?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

I have an HT/2-ch setup and I have to say I never use my sub for 2-ch listening. Course then again, I bought my sub (SVS) for HT use and not really for music.

I have to say that (for my listening preference) if you have a "full range" speaker, this is your best option. Adding a sub can help with some of the lower range (<30Hz), but all in all, I don't feel that much is gained or lossed without using a sub.

Now if you are running bookshelf styled speakers that only go down to around 50Hz, then yes, adding a sub can really make a difference!

If you are going to use a sub, then you want to run your speaker outputs (from your amp) into the subwoofer, then from the subwoofer to your speakers. You then set the crossover point on the subwoofer and all frequencies from then and lower will be reproduced by the sub.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

I have a HT/2Ch set up and I always use my sub. Since my speakers are B&W FPMs they need the sub for the lows.

The way I hook it up is by coax for HT use AND by the high level conection so i can use my CD players DACs and bypass the processing of my processor.

best of both worlds.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"