X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SkyLands
    • Jan 2005

Heretical thought?

Back in the late 70s I lived with a Crown DC300A amp powering four Advent speakers stacked in pairs in what can best be described as a "diappolito" configuration (the top speaker was inverted). It actually sounded pretty good :wink:

Now I have a mid-power HT system, which I primarily use for two-channel music played without any "processing" (it stays two channel). It sounds superb at low volumes. It sounds compressed at higher volumes.

After looking through EBAY today an odd thought hit me... would it be terribly wrong to add in a newer generation Crown power amplifier to help the speakers come alive (a very inexpensive, immediate gratification, temporary fix)?

I know fan noise will be mentioned, but it's not actually a problem because the listening room is over the cellar and the amp can be ceiling mounted in the cellar. Anyone have actual experience with the current Crown line used in this manner?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Their top models aren't too bad but the lower lines wouldn't be my first choice for music reproduction.

Comment

• SkyLands
      • Jan 2005

Hi Andrew

Actually, I would have thought their low end D models would be ideal for music reproduction, if it weren't for the fact that I wouldn't be gaining anything I don't already have (medium wattage, high volt delivery at amazingly low THD). I was hoping someone had hands on with the bigger, but not BIG Crown rigs.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"