X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdrowley
    • Sep 2010

Crown D-150A Series II Amp

I was recently given a Crown D-150A Series II Amp. They are supposed to run ~95W into 8 Ohms. I cleaned it up a bit and plugged it in to run my front speakers. It runs super clean and it seemed like the music was more dynamic. It also seemed to open up the sounds on HT work a little bit.

I'm kind of new to the stand alone amp part of audio reproduction so I really don't know what I have in this amp. I've read about it on google, and it seems like they were popular in the past, but I'm having a hard time finding anything that would compare it to any more modern amps. What I'm really wondering is if I should keep this thing or should I try to get a decent price for it and get something a little more modern? Any input would be appreciated.
    -Ryan
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Always found those amps to be a bit on the 'harsh' side, sort of like 'finger-nails on a blackboard' harsh.

That said, if you like what you hear what's not to like since it was free...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• ---k---
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2005

All depends on your budget and how good is good enough for you.

Also depends on your speakers, it is always best to spend more money on your speakers than amps.
      - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• rdrowley
        • Sep 2010

Thanks for the input. I can appreciate your perspectives. But I still don't know where it sits in comparison to a more modern amp like an Emotiva UPA-2

I am currently running my Tritrix's with it, which don't really give it much of a workout. But I'm planning on getting something Statementish in the future.
        -Ryan

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by rdrowley
          But I still don't know where it sits in comparison to a more modern amp like an Emotiva UPA-2
          Given other peoples reports on the Emotiva gear, I think the Emotiva would be better. While I haven't heard the old Crown amp you have, I trust ThomasW's take on it.

You could just keep the amp and build the speakers you what, and see how you like it. If it does sound too harsh with the amp you could sell it.

Also, others have reported that the Emotiva amps worked well with the Statements.

John
          John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"