X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

You can use an RCA to 1/4" mono adapter... I don't personally like that option so I built a couple of cables custom with a 1/4" plug on one side and an RCA on the other.

You can also use an RCA to XLR in most cases.
    Danish

Comment

• oxcartdriver
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by dyazdani
      You can use an RCA to 1/4" mono adapter... I don't personally like that option so I built a couple of cables custom with a 1/4" plug on one side and an RCA on the other.

You can also use an RCA to XLR in most cases.
      I went with the RCA to 1/4 inch adaptors from radio shaft initially because I couldn't wait to hear the new amp.

I bought cable, and connectors from Parts express and built custom cables as well.

Comment

• DennisP
        • Jun 2006

Ok that sounds pretty simple. Curious though- in what cases would the RCA to XLR *not* work?

-Dennis

Comment

• WillyD
          • Feb 2006

Originally posted by peterS
          That dayton rackmount has a default highpass at 18Hz (or around there). You can change it, of course, but that might void the warranty.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by DennisP
            Ok that sounds pretty simple. Curious though- in what cases would the RCA to XLR *not* work?

-Dennis
            If the amp didn't have XLR connections or you connected the wires incorrectly :B
            Danish

Comment

• DennisP
              • Jun 2006

Ok, that's what I was hoping you'd say. :rofl:

-Dennis

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                If the amp didn't have XLR connections or you connected the wires incorrectly :B
                the reverse (ie behrenger 2496 to preamp) can cause problems
                posted by thomas a week or so ago

inshort creates the potential for noise... dont understand why though

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Yep, I've read that before, but in the few applications I've tried, I haven't run into a problem (as long as the ground pin was terminated ).

My dad's preamp has only balanced connections and I helped build a couple of ICs for some unbalanced sources.
                  Danish

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

i dont see how it would be any more prone to nose than composite (rca)
                    what they discribe as problems introduced by making a hybred is realy just problems that can happen with composite - ones i have only experienced in car audio
                    imo if you experience them in home audio there are bigger issues at hand
                    now that i think about it all i see happening is the advantage of balanced signal being negated minus the potentialy stronger output voltage

Comment

• mmoeller
                      • May 2006

The noise can be dependant on which end of the cable is XLR and which is RCA. If you have a XLR source it should be fine. All ground terminations should be connected at the source. If your source is an RCA the ground is terminating at your recieve point. This is the situation where you might experience noise. That ground sheild with 1 end terminated is like a long antenna, susceptable to RFI. You have to think about signals as a loop, there is always a reference, or in the signal integrity world, a "return path". Where would you rather have that noise "returned" to? The source, where a bunch of decoupling caps will most likely provide a great low impedance return, leaving your receive point with a clean reference ground, Or pass any noise picked up along your cable to your receive point where it might be amplified or actually passed on to the transducer?

Well I prolly just killed this thread.

Comment

• DennisP
                        • Jun 2006

Okay, I received the 2 SS RLP15 woofers on Friday, and I've had all weekend to stare at them longingly in their boxes. They are big, heavy, and sexy as hell. :T

Now, I started a more pressing (and quicker) DIY project- 3 new flexy racks for the equipment and center speaker at the front of the HT. Things are going well, and I've gotten pretty decent at staining 3/4" maple ply for the shelves.

Now, I've thought about the amp thing all weekend and even poked around on audiogon and ebay looking at used K2's, but I'm still on the fence.

The Buttkickers are such a great deal, but since they aren't truly meant for this application, I'm still leary about them.

Then there is the fan thing that really sorta bugs me about most of the pro amps under consideration...

Then there's the nagging need to keep the budget for the amp at a reasonable level (under $700 max, $600 is even better).

So, I'm looking at used K2's...what type of questions should I ask the ebay drones about the amps to increase my chance of getting a good one?

-Dennis

Comment

• WillyD
                          • Feb 2006

The Buttkickers are such a great deal, but since they aren't truly meant for this application, I'm still leary about them.
                          eh? The Buttkicker is a power amp too.

Comment

• DennisP
                            • Jun 2006

It is a power amp, but it wasn't designed to drive speakers- I guess you are implying that a power amp is a power amp is a power amp then?

I've read that Jack Gilvey had a positive experience with them and seemed to think that it was basically the same sound quality as his BASH amp, but he seems to be the only one who's tried using them to power a sub.

The Buttkickers are the frontrunner, but is there any downside to a used K2?

-Dennis

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by DennisP
                              The Buttkickers are the frontrunner, but is there any downside to a used K2?
                              K2's are great amps.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Brendan_L
                                • Sep 2006

I've got a Crown CE-2000, which is now discontinued. I may get a K2 to go fanless.

Does anyhow have any information about Tapco amps, by Mackie?

Press release:
                                This website is for sale! tapcoworld.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, tapcoworld.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

Review:

Downside would be the 1 year warranty, vs. Crown's 3 years.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"