X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I don't know, but every time I see this thread, I think its going to be about something else.
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• 5th element
      Supreme Being Moderator
      • Sep 2009

I'd never seen it done either, which is why I did it. It's got me thinking that any time you're pairing up drivers that you should really mount them push-pull, or at least measure to see if they show an appreciable improvement if you do. I always thought the XLS drivers sounded noticeably cleaner push-pull than only a single driver, now I know why.
      What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!
      5th Element, otherwise known as Matt.
      Now with website. www.5een.co.uk Still under construction.

Comment

• Jonasz
        • Nov 2004

So does this only apply if the drivers are placed next to each other? Will this also work if I turn the drivers in two out of four subs spread around the room?

Comment

• 5th element
          Supreme Being Moderator
          • Sep 2009

I wondered that too, but I'd imagine that the point is to have a unified wave-front, where the compression and rarefaction of the moving air molecules is being controlled by the push of one driver and the pull of another with them being close enough to more accurately recreate the correct shape of the waveform as they move.

I sort of imagine this as, if you recall what a perfect sine wave looks like on a scope, with an imbalanced driver, the peak portion looks slightly different to the trough. As there's this difference it lends itself to a distortion mechanic. If you add in the reverse of the first driver, but wire it so its back in phase, then both sides of the sine wave end up equal and that part of the mechanic goes away.

As we're talking waves with very large wavelengths, I would imagine, that if in a room free of room modes, that you could probably get the same benefit, even if the two drivers were some distance from one another. But when the room modes start to affect the way the sound radiates throughout the space in the room, I think the chance that the rearward going motion of one driver could effectively combine with the forwards going motion of another to effectively cancel out, what already are small differences/defects in the waveform, are rather slim. Then again, you don't lose anything at all by trying.
          What you screamin' for, every five minutes there's a bomb or something. I'm leavin' Bzzzzzzz!

Comment

• Jonasz
            • Nov 2004

Got four of them XLS's running now, however none of them is close to another. Got a few more laying around wich are supposed to be incorporated in the system during the summer (or whenever the boxes will build themselves ) looks like they will be inverted and strategically placed. A pity it's so ugly with reversed drivers though. ops:

Earlier I had SL's Phoenix dipole W-subs in wich the drivers were mounted push-pull, newer tried push-push though. Probably should have to get a feeling for the difference... :unsure:

Comment

• 5th element
              Supreme Being Moderator
              • Sep 2009

I actually really like being able to see the rear of the driver

I too have 4 XLS subs about the room. Two are separate and two are together. They were individual stacked boxes 'together'. Now they are properly glued together with the drivers mounted push/pull, with one driver on one side of the cabinet and one on the other for force cancellation. I had no idea how much difference force cancellation would make to how much the cabinet actually feels to vibrate. It's rather fun to see the drivers thrashing around at xmax at 20Hz, but for the cabinet to feel completely dead. The cabinets of the single drivers for comparison visibly shaking. It makes me want to buy another pair and pop them on the rear >.<

Comment

• Jonasz
                • Nov 2004

Hehehe sexy drivers like XLS or Acoustic Elegance with nice rear ends is easy on the eyes, cheap stamped steele chassies not so much... :twisted:

I remember my w-baffles were completely vibration free even with the drivers at xmax, pretty cool feeling!

Comment

• 5th element
                  Supreme Being Moderator
                  • Sep 2009

Force cancellation in an OB is a very good idea IMO. I had the XLS in a H baffle before and those do shake around quite considerably. Linkwitz's move away from the H baffle in his latest Orion was a very good call.

Speaking of AE they have just half released an 8" driver, to get back to where this thread started. It looks to be rather decent, but won't go all that low. 91.5dB for the 8 ohm nominal version. If one picks an EBS alignment you'll get down to around 60Hz in a tiny 10 litre cabinet.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• JonMarsh
                    Mad Max Moderator
                    • Aug 2000

Speaking of other driver possibilities, it's occurred to me that the extended range of the RS52 gives some flexibility for the selection and crossover for the tweeter...

I wonder if I should be considering these, especially in the amorphous core transformer version?

Click image for larger version

Name:	raal_70-10d-am.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	943101
                    Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 18:50 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                    the AudioWorx
                    Natalie P
                    M8ta
                    Modula Neo DCC
                    Modula MT XE
                    Modula Xtreme
                    Isiris
                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                    Minerva Monitor
                    Calliope
                    Ardent D

In Development...
                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                    Obi-Wan
                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                    Modula PWB
                    Calliope CC Supreme
                    Natalie P Ultra
                    Natalie P Supreme
                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• 5th element
                      Supreme Being Moderator
                      • Sep 2009

They piqued my interest too a few years ago. If the bigger RAAL shines with a 2.5-3kHz xover, these probably require something along the lines of 5k to work at their best. That's not a lot of design flexibility. If they could work well at 3k it'd be a different matter. I guess you'd need to use the tweeter to see just how capable it is, but with people vastly preferring the big one crossed significantly higher than the manufacturer recommends, it doesn't bode well for the little one liking its advertised lower point either.

Comment

• Jonasz
                        • Nov 2004

I've heard the MT version of these and they're crossed at 3,1kHz. Sounds fantastic!

Name:	StiffBreeze1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	943102

Dennis Murphy crosses them at 2,8kHz in his Philharmonic Audio speakers and as far as I know he has a very good ear!

Name:	071412-4Philharmonic-600.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	943103

Name:	reversenull.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	943104

Jon I think you should give them a try at least!
                        Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 18:51 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Jonasz
                          • Nov 2004

Originally posted by 5th element
                          They piqued my interest too a few years ago. If the bigger RAAL shines with a 2.5-3kHz xover, these probably require something along the lines of 5k to work at their best. That's not a lot of design flexibility. If they could work well at 3k it'd be a different matter. I guess you'd need to use the tweeter to see just how capable it is, but with people vastly preferring the big one crossed significantly higher than the manufacturer recommends, it doesn't bode well for the little one liking its advertised lower point either.
                          I think I will try to lower the crossover considerably just to see what happens!

Comment

• JonMarsh
                            Mad Max Moderator
                            • Aug 2000

My understanding is that the transformer and ribbon have been designed for a 4th order acoustical response at 2.8 kHz. This makes it a bit of a stretch for a classic 2 way, unless the woofer has a more extended top end response... an MTM with that high a crossover frequency with 6-1/2" drivers would tend to have a narrow vertical window in the crossover region, to put it mildly. OTOH, I bet Dennis's big guys with the Neo8 on midrange sounds rather nice- shouldn't have any trouble hooking those up with the RAAL's. Nothing wrong with the 8" revelator on bass, either, though that TL cabinet isn't very petite! Interestingly, his mid to woofer crossover isn't much lower than what I figure is reasonable for the RS52, based on my last project.

Of course, everyone knows the OEM small RAAL is supposed to have some secret sauce that makes it even work better, but it's not theoretically available to the DIY market. I believe I have the contacts to get a pair, but then I wouldn't be able to write about them considering the NDA. So, that's a less attractive path to investigate.

OTOH, I have the feeling that a crossover interface with the RS52 should be pretty easy peasy at a reasonable frequency, and perhaps one should let the distortion analysis be the guide as to what really is an easy frequency...
                            the AudioWorx
                            Natalie P
                            M8ta
                            Modula Neo DCC
                            Modula MT XE
                            Modula Xtreme
                            Isiris
                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                            Minerva Monitor
                            Calliope
                            Ardent D

In Development...
                            Obi-Wan
                            Modula PWB
                            Calliope CC Supreme
                            Natalie P Ultra
                            Natalie P Supreme
                            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
                              • Jul 2008

The TL cabinet had to be that large for a line about 5-1/2 feet long containing enough volume to achieve an f3 below 30 Hz.
                              Paul

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                              My understanding is that the transformer and ribbon have been designed for a 4th order acoustical response at 2.8 kHz. This makes it a bit of a stretch for a classic 2 way, unless the woofer has a more extended top end response... an MTM with that high a crossover frequency with 6-1/2" drivers would tend to have a narrow vertical window in the crossover region, to put it mildly. OTOH, I bet Dennis's big guys with the Neo8 on midrange sounds rather nice- shouldn't have any trouble hooking those up with the RAAL's. Nothing wrong with the 8" revelator on bass, either, though that TL cabinet isn't very petite! Interestingly, his mid to woofer crossover isn't much lower than what I figure is reasonable for the RS52, based on my last project.

Of course, everyone knows the OEM small RAAL is supposed to have some secret sauce that makes it even work better, but it's not theoretically available to the DIY market. I believe I have the contacts to get a pair, but then I wouldn't be able to write about them considering the NDA. So, that's a less attractive path to investigate.

OTOH, I have the feeling that a crossover interface with the RS52 should be pretty easy peasy at a reasonable frequency, and perhaps one should let the distortion analysis be the guide as to what really is an easy frequency...

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                Mad Max Moderator
                                • Aug 2000

I understand that- it reminds me of a TL line I did for a 10" woofer in the mid 70's, expect that system was taller and shallower. Long lines are big, no question about it!

Now, as this thread proposes to be about a compact 8" 3 way, I suppose a TL would be ruled out! :W

I suspect that Dennis optimized the height of the drivers and the enclosure design in consideration of typical seating height and the vertical dispersion of the Neo8.
                                the AudioWorx
                                Natalie P
                                M8ta
                                Modula Neo DCC
                                Modula MT XE
                                Modula Xtreme
                                Isiris
                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                Minerva Monitor
                                Calliope
                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                Obi-Wan
                                Modula PWB
                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                Natalie P Ultra
                                Natalie P Supreme
                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Jed
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2005

Of course, everyone knows the OEM small RAAL is supposed to have some secret sauce that makes it even work better, but it's not theoretically available to the DIY market. I believe I have the contacts to get a pair, but then I wouldn't be able to write about them considering the NDA. So, that's a less attractive path to investigate. .
                                  Jon, I don't believe that the OEM RAAL is much different than the regular versions of the tweeters available to DIY (similar DNA). However, it does not require the foam pads (probably because of the ribbon geometry), and it can be customized for various applications. Also, in my experience, the AM core sounds a lot better than the standard version. At least it does with the OEM version.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
                                    Jon, I don't believe that the OEM RAAL is much different than the regular versions of the tweeters available to DIY (similar DNA). However, it does not require the foam pads (probably because of the ribbon geometry), and it can be customized for various applications. Also, in my experience, the AM core sounds a lot better than the standard version. At least it does with the OEM version.
                                    I wrote Madisound asking what the deal is with the AM core because the spec sheet was not very clear, and both talked about 8 ohm input impedance and using the amporphous core gapped with drive from a SET amp, where the transformer primary is carrying the plate current. The answer I got was vague and not convincing, that it was only for the SET application. I'm familiar with powdered amorphous alloys, and would expect a core using them to have higher flux density capability and less distortion at low frequencies, while coming close to retaining the HF properties of ferrite. Thanks for the feedback and heads up!
                                    the AudioWorx
                                    Natalie P
                                    M8ta
                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                    Modula MT XE
                                    Modula Xtreme
                                    Isiris
                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                    Minerva Monitor
                                    Calliope
                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                    Obi-Wan
                                    Modula PWB
                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
                                      • Jul 2008

You mean sort of like this?

Name:	Front without grille.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	859048Click image for larger version

Name:	cenTiLana Cabinet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	859049

This design, Centilana, used the RS180-4, RS52 and XT19.
                                      Paul

Now, as this thread proposes to be about a compact 8" 3 way, I suppose a TL would be ruled out! :W

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                        • Aug 2000

That's a very nice example; now what would happen if we just scaled that up to an 8" woofer, and investigated a range of tweeter options? Nice job building the crossover into the base...

Name:	NewCrossover.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	478.4 KB
ID:	943105

And nice packaging of a 60" single fold MLQWTL or whatever it's being called these days! Any response measurements of the system? Looks very nice! :T

I bought a bunch of Martin's MathCAD files some years ago; I should go back and look at them again...
                                        Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 18:52 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                        the AudioWorx
                                        Natalie P
                                        M8ta
                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                        Modula MT XE
                                        Modula Xtreme
                                        Isiris
                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                        Minerva Monitor
                                        Calliope
                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                        Obi-Wan
                                        Modula PWB
                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
                                          • Jul 2008

Thanks, Jon. You sure have a good memory and were able to dig up the crossover photo. I often locate the crossover in the base like that, or I build it on top of the base assembly with the base attached to the bottom of the cabinet with 1/4-20 bolts and T-nuts. The design is an ML-TL, not an ML-TQWT, because there's no tapering. I can't find any response measurements but I am attaching the modeled system bass response.

Name:	Centilana Response.gif
Views:	1385
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	859050

Paul

That's a very nice example; now what would happen if we just scaled that up to an 8" woofer, and investigated a range of tweeter options? Nice job building the crossover into the base...

Click image for larger version  Name:	NewCrossover.jpg Views:	1 Size:	478.4 KB ID:	943105

And nice packaging of a 60" single fold MLQWTL or whatever it's being called these days! Any response measurements of the system? Looks very nice! :T

I bought a bunch of Martin's MathCAD files some years ago; I should go back and look at them again...
                                          Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 22:43 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Paul K.
                                            • Jul 2008

I manage to dig up a measurement of the system response that was made at DIY Iowa 2008. I had a printout that I scanned in. The quality of this scan is not great but I hope it's adequate.
                                            Paul
                                            Attached Files

Comment

• kevinm
                                              • Jun 2013

Hey ET,

Is this designed aimed to be used with a sub in a 2.1 system?

I have a friend that's looking for a 3 way that can be used without a sub and is having trouble finding a subwoofer/woofer to handle the low frequency duties.

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Interesting contributions and inputs...

One would not usually expect extended low frequency response in a "compact" system. Naturally this is a function of Hoffman's Iron Law, which guides a reasonable understanding of the tradeoffs- there is no free lunch, and no substitute for Sd and Xmax.

With the SW223BD01, a relatively compact system is possible with extended LF response, but at low sensitivity. Amplifier power is relatively inexpensive, unless you like SET...

With the 8" Revelator, Xmax is still fairly good, but the driver parameters require a larger enclosure for low frequency extension, due to the driver parameters, mainly cone mass and suspension compliance.

Then, there is the matter of SPL- two 8" drivers would never match the quantity of low frequency output that a long travel 15" sub is capable of- but with the right drivers in some room arrangement, the results may be satisfactory in 2.0, unless you are seeking the ultimate in LF output for movie effects- music is generally a different and less demanding matter.

So, it is a wise man that understands and qualifies his true needs before planning a system build. The intent for this system is not to construct a technological terror, but to achieve satisfying musical performance in a moderate size room- somewhat extended low frequency response would also allow some flexibility in choosing crossover frequencies for the addition of an LFE subwoofer.

It may well be that a few variations of this should be considered- while retaining a core midrange approach, perhaps... evaluating several woofer and tweeter combinations, but keeping the RS52 on midrange duties might be interesting... very interesting.
                                                DFAL
                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• Jed
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Apr 2005

I wrote Madisound asking what the deal is with the AM core because the spec sheet was not very clear, and both talked about 8 ohm input impedance and using the amporphous core gapped with drive from a SET amp, where the transformer primary is carrying the plate current. The answer I got was vague and not convincing, that it was only for the SET application. I'm familiar with powdered amorphous alloys, and would expect a core using them to have higher flux density capability and less distortion at low frequencies, while coming close to retaining the HF properties of ferrite. Thanks for the feedback and heads up!
                                                  I'd put in an email to RAAL to answer the technical questions, but the AM core is one option, as is the Direct Drive AM core transformer for SET amps (sounds like Madisound was attempting to describe this version). You can also get silver/gold transformer windings. In conclusion, there are many options and applications, not just for SET amps. I'm not sure which of the above Madisound is carrying, because I get mine directly from RAAL built to what I need.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Jed
                                                    I'd put in an email to RAAL to answer the technical questions, but the AM core is one option, as is the Direct Drive AM core transformer for SET amps (sounds like Madisound was attempting to describe this version). You can also get silver/gold transformer windings. In conclusion, there are many options and applications, not just for SET amps. I'm not sure which of the above Madisound is carrying, because I get mine directly from RAAL built to what I need.
                                                    Ah hah.... interesting. And a very good suggestion. I'll follow up with RAAL direct. Thanks for the suggestion, Jed.
                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2004

Well, after some recent discussion, another possibility has become apparent, though to realize it would mandate changing the name of the thread- Jon Marsh has been "persuaded" that his M8ta cabinets are not the enclosures he's looking for, and will relinquish them into my custody for possible rough prototype evaluations.

Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 22:43 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                      DFAL
                                                      Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                        Mad Max Moderator
                                                        • Aug 2000

Whatever helps the cause... I here these might be fodder for a wedding present for an up and coming Sith apprentice and his princess to be...
                                                        the AudioWorx
                                                        Natalie P
                                                        M8ta
                                                        Modula Neo DCC
                                                        Modula MT XE
                                                        Modula Xtreme
                                                        Isiris
                                                        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                        Minerva Monitor
                                                        Calliope
                                                        Ardent D

In Development...
                                                        Obi-Wan
                                                        Modula PWB
                                                        Calliope CC Supreme
                                                        Natalie P Ultra
                                                        Natalie P Supreme
                                                        Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• dwk
                                                          • Apr 2005

I'm glad this idea hasn't completely fallen off the radar.

This caused me to go back and read some of the M8ta threads. Engage time machine! It was a pretty cool read. Interesting to see that turning it into a 3-way with the RS52 was an idea that came up just after the driver was released. (good grief - it's actually been SEVEN years. zoiks). I do have to say that your view of budgetary constraints has evolved a bit over the years :-)

It was also a bit of a sobering read - almost 2 years or so for you to finish the design, and for those that built it 8 months to a year seems typical. (and I guess this means you never did get around to actually veneering the originals)

Are you still thinking of going sealed with the Wavecors or similar, or is it more of a revival of the 3-way M8ta concept?

I'm still hoping to be able to target an Avalon style floor stander as a long term project, but since this is for the living room I have to get the wife on board. So far, she's liked the Martin Logan EM-ESLs the best of any ideas I've floated (go figure). Not much DIY opportunity going that route.
                                                          The short-term approach is going to be to cobble together a decent setup from existing pieces. A mini-dsp nano-digi along with my ProAc SuperTablettes and my existing bass modules (RSS-210HFs sealed in the 1 cu ft MTM cabs). Looking to cross at 200-300, assuming the RSS holds up. This should hopefully give a couple years of breathing room to consider the long-ish term approach. An evolution of the M8ta into a 3-way might fit that pretty well.

Comment

• 5th element
                                                            Supreme Being Moderator
                                                            • Sep 2009

With Jon, nothing ever really falls of the radar, time on the other hand seems to break the laws of physics and disappear faster then it's supposed to.

Comment

• dwk
                                                              • Apr 2005

With Jon, nothing ever really falls of the radar, time on the other hand seems to break the laws of physics and disappear faster then it's supposed to.
                                                              True enough, particularly since this can almost be seen as revisiting the 3-way w/ RS52 idea from years ago. I should have said something like "with work pressures and all the time on the Ardents, I'm glad it hasn't (yet) been pushed out to some indeterminate future opportunity".

Comment

• Evil Twin
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Nov 2004

When immersed in the Dark side, conventional viewpoints of time and progression are seen for the mundane perspective they are... a true Sith must take the long view, and be willing to plan, wait, and develop until the unfolding in the Force shows the time is right...

As my mentor would say, everything is unfolding as I have foreseen...

On the other hand, sometimes disturbances in the Force lead to unanticipated events and opportunities- the very rapid progression of events with the so-called "Wavecor Ardents" are a clear example of how the Force and long term trends may lead to unexpected serendipity, which should not be ignored lest potentialities slip away...

I do have to say that your view of budgetary constraints has evolved a bit over the years :-)
                                                                Obviously, perspective is different from different viewpoints... and a certain build might be considered "low budget" simply because the pieces happen to be lying around at hand, purchased previously for test or investigation or another project concept that has since been put on hold or discarded... I do believe in the same methodology a certain computer and mobility company in Cupertino CA espouses, of saying "no" to a great many more things than are ultimately given a "yes", even though they have promise...

In this light, a budget build with parts on hand might include the RS52 midrange, the Scanspeak revelator 22w/8857t-00-8-woofer-aluminum-cone, and the Scanspeak D2904/71000, all of which are on hand and not spoken for yet. Another woofer alternative is the W22, which also are on hand, but which may not offer the same level of overall performance as the SS. They will be testing in standard enclosures along with the RS225 and new SB Acoustics before final choices are made- they're all here, so the incremental cost is identical.

The M8ta cabinets are in very clean shape, and are partially veneered in Walnut. This could be completed, or a complete re-veneer may be in the works. Further consultation and evaluation of the Wavecor Ardent results will guide this decision.
                                                                DFAL
                                                                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

Comment

• Paul K.
                                                                  • Jul 2008

Speaking of the SS 22W/8857T in a 3-way with the RS52 reminds me of my 3-way from 2007 using the very same woofer in a folded ML-TL with an MDM55 and NeoCD1.0, the canTiLena.

Name:	CanTiLena, no grille.JPG
Views:	770
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	859068

Paul

Originally posted by Evil Twin
                                                                  When immersed in the Dark side, conventional viewpoints of time and progression are seen for the mundane perspective they are... a true Sith must take the long view, and be willing to plan, wait, and develop until the unfolding in the Force shows the time is right...

As my mentor would say, everything is unfolding as I have foreseen...

On the other hand, sometimes disturbances in the Force lead to unanticipated events and opportunities- the very rapid progression of events with the so-called "Wavecor Ardents" are a clear example of how the Force and long term trends may lead to unexpected serendipity, which should not be ignored lest potentialities slip away...

Obviously, perspective is different from different viewpoints... and a certain build might be considered "low budget" simply because the pieces happen to be lying around at hand, purchased previously for test or investigation or another project concept that has since been put on hold or discarded... I do believe in the same methodology a certain computer and mobility company in Cupertino CA espouses, of saying "no" to a great many more things than are ultimately given a "yes", even though they have promise...

In this light, a budget build with parts on hand might include the RS52 midrange, the Scanspeak revelator 22w/8857t-00-8-woofer-aluminum-cone, and the Scanspeak D2904/71000, all of which are on hand and not spoken for yet. Another woofer alternative is the W22, which also are on hand, but which may not offer the same level of overall performance as the SS. They will be testing in standard enclosures along with the RS225 and new SB Acoustics before final choices are made- they're all here, so the incremental cost is identical.

The M8ta cabinets are in very clean shape, and are partially veneered in Walnut. This could be completed, or a complete re-veneer may be in the works. Further consultation and evaluation of the Wavecor Ardent results will guide this decision.
                                                                  Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 22:45 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

How do you like the canTiLena compared with your Amarosos ML TL?

Name:	Amarosos.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	943106

I see you used the Neo8 in the Amarosos; a lot of guys have been doing stuff with the Neo10 of late, but it seems to me like there is some considerable variability in performance of that planar- any thoughts or experience from your side?
                                                                    Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 22:44 Monday. Reason: Update image location
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Paul K.
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2008

To be honest, Jon, I have yet to do a side-by-side comparison between the two. The Amarosos have remained in my living room since they were finished and the canTiLenas are in the basement (covered so they don't get dusty). I love the midrange sound, especially on violins, from the Amarosos, and even though the SS woofer has more capability than the RS225, I don't play any speaker loud enough to be able to hear that difference I don't think. IIRC I've only heard the Neo10s on one speaker, Dan Neubecker's Echelons (I think that's the correct name) from his win at MWAF 2012. Dennis Murphy sure likes the Neo8 and I didn't have room for the larger Neo10, so I settled on the Neo8 (and I have no input or experience on variability in the Neo10).
                                                                      Paul

How do you like the canTiLena compared with your Amarosos ML TL?

I see you used the Neo8 in the Amarosos; a lot of guys have been doing stuff with the Neo10 of late, but it seems to me like there is some considerable variability in performance of that planar- any thoughts or experience from your side?

Comment

• Spanky Ham
                                                                        • Jul 2006

Consider me very interested in this build. I remember the original Modula Neo that you said was one of the best sounding speakers you have heard.

Comment

• Squidspeak
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Jun 2012

Originally posted by Paul K.
                                                                          Speaking of the SS 22W/8857T in a 3-way with the RS52 reminds me of my 3-way from 2007 using the very same woofer in a folded ML-TL with an MDM55 and NeoCD1.0, the canTiLena.
                                                                          Paul
                                                                          Paul do you have a cabinet drawing of the interior layout of this design,just interested in your
                                                                          different approches to TL design Thanks Mike

Comment

• Paul K.
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2008
                                                                            • 180

Yes I do but what I've attached may not be all that great since it's a scan of a pencil on paper drawing. This is a single-fold ML-TL, starting at the bottom of the front, rising to and making a U-turn at the top, then going down the back to the bottom. The line is 76.5" long, the woofer's center is located 23.75" from the beginning of the line, and the mass-loading port's center is located 13" from the end of the line. The first half of the line is stuffed at a density of 0.8 lb/ft3 with poly fiber.

Name:	Dimensioned canTiLena cabinet.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	859073

Paul

Originally posted by Squidspeak
                                                                            Paul do you have a cabinet drawing of the interior layout of this design,just interested in your
                                                                            different approches to TL design Thanks Mike
                                                                            Last edited by theSven; 26 June 2023, 22:46 Monday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

Working...
                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                            Search Result for "|||"