Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Browncoat
    • Oct 2016

Docero (again)

I built some Docero towers a while back, and while I was pleased with the result, I don't have room for them any more. After considering my options, I decided to pull the components and build a bookshelf set of Doceros.

The drivers were not going to come out easily, but after a bit of head-scratching I came up with a good solution: I tapped one of the mounting holes, threaded in a long bolt, grabbed the bolt with some pliers, and bumped the pliers with a mallet. No drama at all--worked like a charm:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1704.jpg
Views:	1483
Size:	592.6 KB
ID:	927631

I gave away the bare cabinets on Craigslist. The guy that picked them up was pretty excited, which made me happy to give them away 😄

Name:	IMG_1718.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	315.5 KB
ID:	927632

Humble beginnings here! I like to make the bottom removable for easy access to the crossover and binding posts, so I created a flange to screw the bottom to. I bought some gasket material and laminated it to the flange to seal it up:

Name:	IMG_1752.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	658.6 KB
ID:	927633

I think this shows the general idea:

Name:	IMG_1763.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	539.0 KB
ID:	927634

I'm trying to use up materials I have on hand, and doing pretty good so far. I have some veneer and hardwood in my stash that will work nicely for this project, but I'm just trying to figure out what order of operations I want to use for everything now. Life is busy these days, so I won't finish quickly, but for some reason making speakers is one of my favorite workshop activities.

Thanks for looking!
  • theSven
    Master of None
    • Jan 2014

By the looks of the photos you have a pretty nice looking shop to construct in! What will be the dimensions for this new bookshelf cabinet?
    Painter in training

Comment

• Browncoat
      • Oct 2016

Thanks! It's just the back of my garage, so it's a little cramped, but it works well enough. Exterior dimensions are 8.5"W x 15"T x 11.5"D (216 x 381 x 292). My understanding is that the original design was the bookshelf version, and Kittinger came up with the tower design later, but details are hard to find.

Comment

• Browncoat
        • Oct 2016

I used a computer-assisted router to cut a practice baffle. It's the first time I've tried to reference both the front and backside of something with this tool, and it came out practically flawless, except for a mirror-image issue on the tweeter that I had in my model 😅. In any case, the tolerances around the driver are perfect. Next time I'll use an upcut bit for the mounting holes to avoid scorching! I've got some other refinements in mind too.

I played around with a few ideas for fastening the drivers, and settled on t-nuts. I tried thinning out the mounting surface of the mid-woofer, but I'm going to scrap that idea, and do a traditional bevel on the backside instead. I'll probably make a router guide that bolts into the driver holes so I can bevel the backside without cutting into the t-nut area.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1767.jpg Views:	0 Size:	478.7 KB ID:	927741
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1765.jpg Views:	0 Size:	304.5 KB ID:	927740

Comment

• Browncoat
          • Oct 2016

Playing around with something like this for the rear:

Name:	baffle.png
Views:	459
Size:	1.41 MB
ID:	927743

Comment

• theSven
            Master of None
            • Jan 2014

What computer assisted router are you using? Using tech with wood working is awesome! That's one reason I really like working with Steve Manning because he has a CNC to cut the wood and my perfectionism never gets the best of me.
            Painter in training

Comment

• Browncoat
              • Oct 2016

I'm using a Shaper Origin. It was a Kickstarter not too long ago, and my understanding is that Festool invested in them. In a nutshell, you load SVG images into the tool, and then it auto-corrects as you route. Obviously, it has limitations, but in practice it works really well. I use it to make a lot of templates for furniture projects. One unique advantage over a CNC is that you can take to tool to the work. I always wanted a CNC, but I'm working out of a garage, and I just don't have the space (unless I park outside, which I refuse 😁).

Comment

• Browncoat
                • Oct 2016

Waiting for some odds-and-ends that got lost in shipping, but I made a prototype grill this weekend. These speakers will be for casual listening, so grills will be welcome most of the time. I'll probably use Dirac with this set, so maybe I'll create separate profiles for grills on and off.

Name:	IMG_1774.jpg
Views:	433
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	927900 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1773.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	651.7 KB
ID:	927901 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1775.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	621.0 KB
ID:	927902

Comment

• technodanvan
                  • Nov 2009

Wow that shaper origin did those cuts? That's pretty amazing, I remember seeing it on Kickstarter but ultimately decided not to invest. Regrets.
                  - Danny

Comment

• theSven
                    Master of None
                    • Jan 2014

Those grills look really good! I use Dirac for my theater
                    with emotiva. What processor or AV are you using with these speakers? This Shaper origin is pretty sweet. I think I need to remember to check in on kickstarter more often. I haven’t been on there since 2014
                    Painter in training

Comment

• Browncoat
                      • Oct 2016

Thanks guys. Yeah, the Shaper Origin works as advertised, but like every other tool I've ever used, it takes a little practice and study to get the best results. I'd buy it again; however, prices have gone up significantly. Not only the hardware: tape was $13/roll when I started, and now it's up to $22/roll! I bought a bunch when I saw prices increasing, so I'm good for a few years.

Shaper also recently introduced a new software feature that requires a separate purchase to activate, which made some users pretty salty. I get it, but strangely enough, they randomly gave away a few licenses, and I was one of the lucky ones, so I can't complain 😅

Originally posted by svenarajala
                      What processor or AV are you using with these speakers?
                      I've got a MiniDSP SHD Studio already, but I was thinking about picking up a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 for these. I think it would be fun to build or buy a mini sub as well to make for a cool little casual-listening system. The SVS Micro 3000 looks exactly like the kind of thing I'm interested in, but it would be lot more fun to build something...

Comment

• Steve Manning
                        • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Browncoat
                        Thanks guys. Yeah, the Shaper Origin works as advertised, but like every other tool I've ever used, it takes a little practice and study to get the best results. I'd buy it again; however, prices have gone up significantly. Not only the hardware: tape was $13/roll when I started, and now it's up to $22/roll! I bought a bunch when I saw prices increasing, so I'm good for a few years.

Shaper also recently introduced a new software feature that requires a separate purchase to activate, which made some users pretty salty. I get it, but strangely enough, they randomly gave away a few licenses, and I was one of the lucky ones, so I can't complain 😅

I've got a MiniDSP SHD Studio already, but I was thinking about picking up a Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 for these. I think it would be fun to build or buy a mini sub as well to make for a cool little casual-listening system. The SVS Micro 3000 looks exactly like the kind of thing I'm interested in, but it would be lot more fun to build something...
                        Sounds like Fusion 360 .... they suck you in with a low price to start and once your hooked the pain starts.

Certainly a cool system though. I had looked at it prior to getting my Avid CNC.
                        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• Browncoat
                          • Oct 2016

A big boy CNC like yours is the dream, but it'll remain a dream as long as I'm in this house 😄

Comment

• Steve Manning
                            • Dec 2006

A big boy CNC like yours is the dream, but it'll remain a dream as long as I'm in this house 😄
                            Yeah, they do take up a bit of space.

Comment

• Browncoat
                              • Oct 2016

Sorry, my "build story" hasn't been much of a story, has it? Hectic around here lately...

Anyways, a few pics to prove (mostly to myself) that occasionally I get something done in the garage. First up, a veneer order showed up the other day, which is always fun. I got some extra-thick wenge for the baffles, and some walnut for another project:

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	390.9 KB
ID:	928314
                              I've got some parts cut, and I'm working on trimming out some stuff before assembly. The dark veneer is wenge, and the trim came from a teak board I've had lying around for years:

Name:	IMG_1804.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	613.3 KB
ID:	928315
                              Finally, some teak veneer that I'm hoping to use. It's something I bought on clearance years ago, without any particular project in mind:

Name:	IMG_1806.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	555.8 KB
ID:	928316

Comment

• Browncoat
                                • Oct 2016

Oh, got these in the mail today too. I could do this with the Shaper, but it's boring, and I wanted to try SendCutSend. They had some soot on them from the laser, but the price wasn't bad, and turnaround was pretty quick.

Name:	IMG_1807.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	1,008.5 KB
ID:	928318

Comment

• technodanvan
                                  • Nov 2009

Wow, I just perused the SendCutSend website and I'm impressed! I'll need to keep them in mind for future projects...

- Danny

Comment

• Browncoat
                                    • Oct 2016

Life is still crazy, and likely to get worse before it gets better, but found some time to complete the baffles:

Name:	IMG_1815.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	431.8 KB
ID:	928653

Name:	IMG_1814.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	383.2 KB
ID:	928654

Comment

• technodanvan
                                      • Nov 2009

Dang those look nice!
                                      - Danny

Comment

• Browncoat
                                        • Oct 2016

Thanks! Things are going well, but I'm not going to pretend like there haven't been any hiccups. Fortunately, I haven't made any firewood yet, though.

Comment

• Browncoat
                                          • Oct 2016

Still super busy around here, but I try to steal a couple minutes in the garage whenever I'm able. I'm getting close to gluing up a box. Some random progress shots:

Name:	IMG_1822.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	929187 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	929188 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1852.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	502.5 KB
ID:	929189

Comment

• technodanvan
                                            • Nov 2009

What posts are those, they look nice and heavy?
                                            - Danny

Comment

• Browncoat
                                              • Oct 2016

They're no-frills, but they get the job done nicely. I think these are the ones: https://meniscusaudio.com/product/big-posts/

I prefer not to glue the posts to the cabinet with epoxy, so I made a mortise to match a notch on the post so they won't spin.

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                • Oct 2016

A few more progress shots:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1858.jpg Views:	0 Size:	476.9 KB ID:	929198 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1861.jpg Views:	0 Size:	388.5 KB ID:	929199 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1862.jpg Views:	0 Size:	372.6 KB ID:	929197
                                                Last edited by Browncoat; 05 March 2023, 20:35 Sunday. Reason: Formatting

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                  • Oct 2016

The fronts and backs are flat, so I tried hot gluing on some positioning blocks to take some of the stress out of gluing them up. So far so good...

Name:	IMG_1867.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	929207 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1869.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	403.7 KB
ID:	929208

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                    • Oct 2016

Not a lot of speaker progress to report, but I picked up this guy to drive them when they're done...someday...

Name:	DSCF6619.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	929598

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                      • Oct 2016

Things are happening, just slowly. Some random progress shots:

Name:	IMG_1912.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	252.2 KB
ID:	931182

Name:	IMG_1918.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	931183

Name:	IMG_1916.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	403.0 KB
ID:	931184

Name:	IMG_1915.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	931185

Comment

• theSven
                                                        theSven commented
                                                        Editing a comment
                                                        Nice update with the photos shared.
                                                    • Browncoat
                                                      • Oct 2016

Wow, April seems like so long ago. I completed these cabs, then stuck them on a shelf and got distracted with other things. Now that I'm finally in between major projects, I got to thinking about these again and revisited a crazy idea I had. I'd like to replace a little cabinet I have underneath our secondary TV with something nicer. I thought about making something inspired by a mid-mod hi-fi cabinet and stuffing the Docero inside along with a 3000 micro sub that I have.

What do you guys think? I realize jamming everything into a piece of furniture isn't a recipe for hi-fi, but it would just be for TV and casual listening, and I thought the Lyngdorf eq would help. Exterior dimensions of the piece would be about 18"T x 56"W x 14"D, but I'd need some space for the Lyngdorf, an Xbox, and a tiny Roku unit. What kind of speakers would you stick in there?

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                        • Oct 2016

Ok, not a lot of interest in the vintage hi-fi cabinet idea; I get it 😅. Anyways, just to close the loop on this, I attached a photo of what I came up with. Like I said before: I realize this isn't the way to high fidelity, but it suits my use case!

Name:	240206_Cabinet_6X9A8403-Edit.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	951034
                                                        Last edited by theSven; 07 February 2024, 13:02 Wednesday. Reason: Attach image inline to post

Comment

• theSven
                                                          Master of None
                                                          • Jan 2014

Ok, not a lot of interest in the vintage hi-fi cabinet idea; I get it 😅. Anyways, just to close the loop on this, I attached a photo of what I came up with. Like I said before: I realize this isn't the way to high fidelity, but it suits my use case!

Name:	240206_Cabinet_6X9A8403-Edit.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	459.1 KB
ID:	951034
                                                          Me personally, I really like the old vintage look from the image. I would have a turntable and a DAC that way I could listen to analog and digital and swap the cables as needed to listen to either. The texture on the doors is really interesting too, not something common to see.

You will have to share a photo of the room once you get it all setup.
                                                          Painter in training

Comment

• technodanvan
                                                            • Nov 2009

Consoles are definitely a nice way of setting things up. I would have no qualms doing this!
                                                            - Danny

Comment

• Steve Manning
                                                              • Dec 2006

Very nice looking cabinet!

WEBSITE: http://www.smjaudio.com/

Comment

• Browncoat
                                                                • Oct 2016

Steve Manning Thank you! I'm a big fan of your work, so I appreciate the kind words.

technodanvan I dig the console look too. The room correction software helps with the sound, and it's just for our secondary TV and background music anyways.

theSven I agree: a turntable would be super cool, but we only stream music these days. I haven't put it in place yet, but my wife (responsible for the beautiful pictures) took a shot showing what it will look like with the electronics:

Name:	240206_Cabinet_6X9A8420-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	951049

Comment

• theSven
                                                                  Master of None
                                                                  • Jan 2014

theSven I agree: a turntable would be super cool, but we only stream music these days. I haven't put it in place yet, but my wife (responsible for the beautiful pictures) took a shot showing what it will look like with the electronics:

Name:	240206_Cabinet_6X9A8420-Edit-Edit.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	409.3 KB
ID:	951049
                                                                  Crisp and clean! I also am streaming these days. I plan to get a turntable soon though. I have been buying some vinyl here and there that I really want to hear on the speakers I've assembled thus far.
                                                                  Painter in training

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                                    • Aug 2000

Click image for larger version  Name:	240206_Cabinet_6X9A8403-Edit.jpg Views:	52 Size:	459.1 KB ID:	951034
                                                                    Hey, I'm cool with the idea of vintage designs that please you... but here's a suggestion from someone working with speaker that height in the past as well as recently...

For when you want to enjoy your tunes with a bit higher fidelity (I.E., minus the near boundary induced comb filtering this setup will entail) slap an ATS Acoustics panel or two on the floor. If needed for esthetics, store them in a closet when not doing "critical" listening.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Testing Side View copy.jpg Views:	0 Size:	913.4 KB ID:	951055

The impact (on measured and subjective response) is presented and discussed in the CC Supreme project thread.

When I was finalizing the crossover with listening checks, I spent a fair amount of time using the CC as background music for a lot of different program material. In order to keep wifey happy, I always picked up the ATS panel and set it aside out of the way when not listening, so that she didn't need to dodge around it. If I turned the music back on, but was in a hurry to get back to the computer for doing work (in a room 180 degrees away) I could always hear the difference and immediately would go back out and put the panel down in place.

Now, we've discussed this with Sven, with regards to his installation, and also as you might expect, I recommended some additional panels (I've spent too much time optimizing room acoustics starting decades ago that I don't cringe a bit walking into most rooms...) and Sven took the initiative with his ATS panel order... just standing on the walls for now, optimum would probably be hanging a foot off the floor...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Sven Room Baffles copy.png Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	951056

And judging by his raving at the results, I'd say he was reasonably gobsmacked, as my British friends would say...

Expect more discussion about this in general in the future. My older panel set used back in CA are still in storage... but when this computer room gets converted to an AV room, that will change.
                                                                    Attached Files
                                                                    the AudioWorx
                                                                    Natalie P
                                                                    M8ta
                                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                                    Isiris
                                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                                    Calliope
                                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                                    Modula PWB
                                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                                                    😀
                                                                    😂
                                                                    🥰
                                                                    😘
                                                                    🤢
                                                                    😎
                                                                    😞
                                                                    😡
                                                                    👍
                                                                    👎
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"