Vifa D26NC55 seems discontinued. Looking at other small flange tweeters.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonW
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Vifa D26NC55 seems discontinued. Looking at other small flange tweeters.

I’m thinking up a small sized, high quality speaker project. A tweeter with a small flange would be helpful here. It looks like the much-loved D26NC55 is listed by Vifa as discontinued:

I called Madisound and they still have ~60 of them left but no idea of what the current status really is. So for those of you looking to build Jed’s Lineup or Jon Marsh’s Modula NeoD CC you might want to start placing your orders.

If I come up with a new speaker, I want the design to be accessible to people here in the DIY community, on the off chance that someone else might want to build it. A little give back for all the help I’ve received. So I’ll restrict my driver choices to those that are still in production and from relatively large, stable companies.

In case it helps anyone, here is what I found when looking for a low distortion and generally high quality tweeter with a small flange. All judgments are pretty subjective. When, for example, looking at distortion one type may be higher for one tweeter than another, but a second type of distortion may be lower. So you’ve got to pick something. I don't claim to be good at this.

Looking at Zaph’s measurements, there are a fair number of tested small tweeters:

-The Vifa XT25SC50 looks like a decent performer but, near as I can tell, is also discontinued.

-Seas has 3 interesting looking ones: the 27TAFNCG, 27TFFNCG, and the 27TFFNC-CG (What marketing genius named these?)

-The Vifa D26NC55 performs well but is soon to be unavailable

-There are cheaper ones as well (Tangband 25-1414 and 25-1166, Dayton ND28F, etc.) but leave those out because they perform worse that the 5 mentioned above.

-Scanspeak makes a small flanged tweeter, the D2904/6000. Mark K tested it here:

So let’s compare these tweeters and see which ones might be best to use. Mark K measured the Seas Millenium, as did Zaph. So we can have some very rough comparison of measurements from these 2 helpful guys.

Of the 3 small Seas, they are all similar, so we’ll pick the best of the 3.

-The 27TAFNCG and 27TFFNCG are close, but the CSD and distortion look a little better with the 27TFFNCG (or it’s also called the 27TFFNC/G).

-For the 27TFFNCG and 27TFFNC-CG, the former has a teeny bit better CSD and the latter might have a teeny bit better distortion. Tough call. Let’s stick with the 27TFFNCG partly by flipping a coin and partly because it has an circle-shaped flange that will be easier to mount.

-Compare the Seas 27TFFNCG with the Vifa D26NC55 and the D26 has a teeny bit better CSD and a small edge in distortion. Oh well.

-Compare the Seas 27TFFNCG with the Seas Millenium. CSD is about the same and distortion is a teeny bit better for the 27TFFNCG.

-Compare Mark K’s measurements of the Millenium to the Scanspeak D2904/6000. CSD is about the same. For distortion, the Millenium is a little better for nonlinear and it’s a tossup for the linear (if I’m reading the graphs correctly).

-By inference we can say that the Scansspeak is no better than the Millenium. And the 27TFFNCG is better than the Millenium. So the 27TFFNCG is likely better than the Millenium. The Millenium then provides a useful baseline for comparisons with other tweeters that Zaph tested.

-For calibration’s sake, compare the 27TFFNCG to the popular Dayton RS28a. CSD is close with a possible edge going to the Dayton. For distortion the Dayton looks a little better. But the Dayton is a large/regular sized flange so not good for the current application.

Put it all together and I’m thinking that the Seas 27TFFNCG may be the best small flanged tweeter for which third party measurements are available and is still in production. Pros are that it’s small, cheap ($32), has a protective grid, and the round flange looks like it will be an easy install with a press fit into a simple drilled hole. The con is that the performance is solid but nothing too special.

Of course, there are lots of personal judgment calls here that may be iffy. Thought and comments are welcome.

• dmalphur
    • Jun 2007

What about the Vifa DQ25SC05-04? It compares favorably to the D26NC55 and the 27TFFNCG, yet costs half as much. Zaph is using it in his new small 2-way, so you will get to see alot more info on it in the weeks to come.

-David

Comment

• TacoD
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2004

Comment

• Jed
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Apr 2005

There has been a lot posts on whether or not the D26 is discontinued. The last time I called Madisound they said that Vifa brought the tweeter back into production. It depends on who you talk to at Madisound.

Comment

• JonW
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jed
          There has been a lot posts on whether or not the D26 is discontinued. The last time I called Madisound they said that Vifa brought the tweeter back into production. It depends on who you talk to at Madisound.
          Hi Jed,

Yeah, I searched around and read every thread about the D26. But take a look on the Vifa page and note how that the D26 has a “Discontinued” watermark all over it. I’m taking that as a sign of things to come:

Originally posted by dmalphur
          What about the Vifa DQ25SC05-04? It compares favorably to the D26NC55 and the 27TFFNCG, yet costs half as much. Zaph is using it in his new small 2-way, so you will get to see alot more info on it in the weeks to come.

-David
          Hi David,

That’s a small one. But my reading of the data looks as though the 27TFFNCG has a small edge on the DQ25SC05-04 in terms of CSD and distortion. Not a huge advantage but a little one, nonetheless.

Originally posted by TacoD
          Yup, an interesting looking tweeter and a nice, small size. I’d like to see some third-party distortion measurements before committing to use it in a project. The Scanspeak D2904/6000 looks OK, but a little disappointing given the cost and my expectations given how good some of their other drivers are.

Comment

• Jonasz
            • Nov 2004

How low are you going to take it?

Btw, here in Europe the new small flange SS Illuminators are priced just below the SS6600.

Comment

• JonW
              Super Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Jonasz
              How low are you going to take it?
              Not sure yet, but certainly not too low. Because it will be a small MT speaker, the M will be maybe 5.5" or so and able to play pretty high. So the crossover could be as high as 3500 or more. It might be more dictated by center-to-center spacing more than how high/low the drivers can play. We'll see.

Originally posted by Jonasz
              Btw, here in Europe the new small flange SS Illuminators are priced just below the SS6600.

http://www.bmm-electronics.com/Produ...tgroep_a_ID=85
              Interesting. If these Illuminators are supposedly better than the Revelators, I'm looking forward to seeing some measurements and/or listening impressions.

Comment

• Jed
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Apr 2005

I talked to Adam at Madisound in July. He's the one you need to talk to. They had 100 on order and they came in August (last month). This was after I mentioned that the D26 was listed as discontinued in the madisound dealer list and on the tymphany website. It is possible that that was their last batch, but not likely according to Adam.

Comment

• jkrutke
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by dmalphur
                  I'm listening to the DQ25SC05 right now, and make no mistake it's excellent. Good enough to make me not care so much about the status of the D26NC55. I think the toughest battle for acceptance of this tweeter will happen every time someone looks at the top octave response curve. The raggedness there is barely audible compared to the smooth and clean low end. What's going on in the low end of a tweeter will always outweigh other performance issues.

Originally posted by Jed
                  I talked to Adam at Madisound in July. He's the one you need to talk to. They had 100 on order and they came in August (last month). This was after I mentioned that the D26 was listed as discontinued in the madisound dealer list and on the tymphany website. It is possible that that was their last batch, but not likely according to Adam.
                  Nothing is ever truly discontinued. It just gets more expensive and has higher minimum order quantities as production has to be set up again. Either that or small quantities become very expensive. I could order 50 P17's from vifa, but they are probably going to cost $200 each. But if I ordered 2000, the cost each goes down since manufacturing setup becomes a minor issue on the scale of things. That might be what happened to the D26NC55 if Madisound only ordered 100.

My bigger concern: the cost of that tweeter is now $37. It was $29 a few months back. I remember when it was $22 just a few years ago. I'm keeping an eye on all these costs and trying to update my tests and ratings as much as possible.
                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Dennis H
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Aug 2002

Originally posted by jkrutke
                    I'm listening to the DQ25SC05 right now, and make no mistake it's excellent. Good enough to make me not care so much about the status of the D26NC55. I think the toughest battle for acceptance of this tweeter will happen every time someone looks at the top octave response curve. The raggedness there is barely audible compared to the smooth and clean low end. What's going on in the low end of a tweeter will always outweigh other performance issues.
                    Is that the same as the DQ25SC16-04 which is the one listed on the Tymphany and Madisound pages?

Comment

• jkrutke
                      • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Dennis H
                      Is that the same as the DQ25SC16-04 which is the one listed on the Tymphany and Madisound pages?
                      Yes. There were some naming issues. It's also known as the TPY25T04S but that was changed because it sounded "too Chinese". They are all the same and this came out of Mad's current stock. DQ25SC16 is the official name now, I believe.
                      Zaph|Audio

Comment

• Jed
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Apr 2005

I
                        My bigger concern: the cost of that tweeter is now $37. It was $29 a few months back. I remember when it was $22 just a few years ago. I'm keeping an eye on all these costs and trying to update my tests and ratings as much as possible.

Agreed, might as well just get the new XT25 tweeters that have come out that aren't that much more- unless you need the small flange of the D26. I tested the new double magnet tweeters and like them very much, and I feel it's an improvement on the D26 and the single magnet XT25. I'm using them in a HT setup right now.

Comment

• norcad
                          • Jun 2008

If you need a small flange, make one!
                          Pick the tweeter you really want and let the router do the rest.

Here's mine Seas 27TFFC:

Attached Files

Comment

• JonW
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jan 2006

I just realized that jed has driver testing measurements on his site. I'll have a look through those and see if any contenders emerge. I didn't know about this new double magnet XT25.

Originally posted by norcad
                            If you need a small flange, make one!
                            Pick the tweeter you really want and let the router do the rest.
                            I thought about grinding/routing down the face plate of a regular sized tweeter. Not sure I feel comfortable doing that. I'd think all that vibration, metal shavings, etc. would be hard on the tweeter. And mistakes get to be expensive.

Comment

• JonW
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

I'm listening to the DQ25SC05 right now, and make no mistake it's excellent. Good enough to make me not care so much about the status of the D26NC55.
                              Excellent to hear that there is another good, small flange tweeter out there.

I'm curious as to why you're using the Vifa DQ25C05 over the Seas 27TFFNCG. I guess I'd pick the latter. Although it may be close. Looking at your measurements, my call would be:

-For frequency response the 27TFFNCG has a dip at ~2200 Hz but that's right in the crossover region and will be modified anyways. The DQ25SC05 has that jumpiness about ~15,000 Hz and, although not too big a deal, it can't be dealt with easily and the 27TFFNCG does not have it.

-The CSD plots are pretty comparable.

-For distortion F2 looks about the same for each tweeter, F3 and F4 look a little better for the 27TFFNCG and F5 looks a little better for DQ25SC05.

-The DQ25SC05 is only $16 and the 27TFFNCG is double that, but we're only talking about a difference of $16.

At any rate, thanks so much for posting all your measurements of so many drivers. Picking drivers would be almost impossible without such independent data. :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Jan 2006

Most tweeters you can remove the flange.

Comment

• norcad
                                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by JonW
                                  I just realized that jed has driver testing measurements on his site. I'll have a look through those and see if any contenders emerge. I didn't know about this new double magnet XT25.

I thought about grinding/routing down the face plate of a regular sized tweeter. Not sure I feel comfortable doing that. I'd think all that vibration, metal shavings, etc. would be hard on the tweeter. And mistakes get to be expensive.
                                  The chassi of most Seas tweeters is glass fibre reinforced plastic, and is very easy to cut down.

Comment

• JonW
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

I was thinking more about this topic of small tweeters...

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                    Most tweeters you can remove the flange.
                                    Really? OK, looking at my RS28a's, I see there are some screws that, indeed, the flange may come off. How would you then mount the tweeter? A press fit, perhaps? It still me be a little big. A 2" diameter would be nice. But I thinking it may be over 3" with the flange removed for a typical tweeter.

Originally posted by norcad
                                    The chassi of most Seas tweeters is glass fibre reinforced plastic, and is very easy to cut down.
                                    Hmmm... interesting. It still sounds like harsh treatment to put the tweeter through. But maybe worth considering

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

I meant just remove the flange for cutting. Then put it back on.

Comment

• JonW
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                        I meant just remove the flange for cutting. Then put it back on.
                                        I see. That would be the intelligent way to do it. Which is why I needed that pointed out to me.

Comment

• Dennis H
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Aug 2002

It's actually pretty easy. Cut the tweeter rabbet and hole. Mount the tweeter flange on the baffle. Then cut the woofer rabbet, cutting right through the aluminum or plastic where the circles intersect. Perfect fit.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2006

Yep that's how I would do it Dennis. This way you don't have to worry about clamping or getting it just right as it will fit perfectly.

Comment

• JonW
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jan 2006

OK. That all makes sense. Like norcad posted. What router bits can cut through a metal flange?

However I’m thinking that the tweeter will still be too large for the small speaker project I have in mind. A small flanged 2” tweeter like the Seas 27TFFNCG would really work best. If it were only a bump up in quality with regard to distortion, etc. I'm willing to pay more for a tweeter, but I don't know of any small ones that look better. Hence this thread...

Comment

• Jed
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Apr 2005

Well... It is now official. The D26 is GONE FOR GOOD. I just bought the last pair for a customer's Lineup D4 Kit.

Madisound personally emailed me to say "we pulled the last pair off the shelf for you and regret that we won't have these in stock anymore."

So, unless there is some magical reincarnation of the D26 with the new Vifa China based company, RIP D26! Goodbye Lineup D4, D44, Maxx, Modula NEOD etc. What a shame. I guess I'll have to think about a replacement, but I'm not sure when I'll have time to redesign ALL those speakers.

Comment

• sokoban
                                                  • Apr 2006

Yeah, I tried to order 3 last night so I could finish up these NeoDcc's I've been working on.

Got an email this morning saying the order was complete, and then another this afternoon saying they only had a pair of the D26NC55's left. Well I hope I can pick up a used one or a spare somewhere.

Comment

• Jed
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by sokoban
                                                    Yeah, I tried to order 3 last night so I could finish up these NeoDcc's I've been working on.

Got an email this morning saying the order was complete, and then another this afternoon saying they only had a pair of the D26NC55's left. Well I hope I can pick up a used one or a spare somewhere.
                                                    You can try Solen or Meniscus. Maybe they have some left.

Comment

• ---k---
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Nov 2005

That really sucks!

Wait, are they like dead people's artwork? So, did the value in my D4's just go up? Can I now sell them for 10x build cost?

If anyone would like a pair of D26 tweeters, I now have a pair for sale for $400.

- Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                                      CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                                      CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• sokoban
                                                        • Apr 2006

Solen's out, but I got a few from Meniscus.

Comment

• Jed
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by ---k---
                                                          Wait, are they like dead people's artwork?

Haha... it's more like a 4 year old used computer. Worthless.

Comment

• pedroskova
                                                            • Mar 2007

Go on ebay - they've got a few pair of rebadged M&K D26 buyouts, some used, some new, on any given day. I picked up a used pair for $13.00...including shipping.

Comment

• Jed
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by pedroskova
                                                              Go on ebay - they've got a few pair of rebadged M&K D26 buyouts, some used, some new, on any given day. I picked up a used pair for $13.00...including shipping.

I heard those often don't work. Dried up ferrofluid in most cases. Do a quick search over at PE and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

• pedroskova
                                                                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                                                                I heard those often don't work. Dried up ferrofluid in most cases. Do a quick search over at PE and you'll see what I mean.
                                                                Cheap pedro lucks out again. The dried up ferrofluid is interesting. I wonder why, other than being stored in a garage in Tucson, this would be a common problem to this particular batch.

Comment

• Jed
                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by pedroskova
                                                                  Cheap pedro lucks out again. The dried up ferrofluid is interesting. I wonder why, other than being stored in a garage in Tucson, this would be a common problem to this particular batch.
                                                                  If I remember correctly, the folks that bought a bunch of these speculated that they were the tweeters M&K tossed out of production because of a defect/out of spec tolerance (bad ferrofluid would do it). Don't quote me but I'd check them out and see if you can run an impedance sweep on them. If no Fs hump, you got yourself a dead tweeter.

Comment

• pedroskova
                                                                    • Mar 2007

Haven't done an impedance sweep, but their frequency response seems to match others that I've seen. As implemented in my current "test mules", they work reasonably well. But in another week or so...whenever I finish building the next x-over circuit (active), they will be taking up residence as a super tweeter... their replacement will be the B&G neo8 pdr.

Comment

• benchtester
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2007

Originally posted by Jed
                                                                      If I remember correctly, the folks that bought a bunch of these speculated that they were the tweeters M&K tossed out of production because of a defect/out of spec tolerance (bad ferrofluid would do it). Don't quote me but I'd check them out and see if you can run an impedance sweep on them. If no Fs hump, you got yourself a dead tweeter.
                                                                      I was one of the speculators. I got four and they all measured differently. Although the dryed/sticky ferrofluid was a problem, I found other problems as well. The two were close to nominal, but one had a buzz. The other two had odd DCR and impedence values when measured with the LCR meter. The lowest DCR also had a very low spl, indicating some of the coils were shorted. (I am pretty sure that the low spl was on a tweeter with bad ferrofluid, then I did my best to remove it and it still had low spl; plus the ferrofluid would not explain the low DCR.)

Sounds like pedroskova got lucky twice. Good price and good speakers.

Comment

• norcad
                                                                        • Jun 2008

The same thing happened to mine ATC monitors, who has the D26 tweeter.
                                                                        The fluid dried out and was more like glue. I washed it out and no they are working again, without ferro fluid.

Comment

• marchel
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Feb 2009

Hi,

I dont have the vifa , But I have the small seas neo 27tffcng? For my car, And they sound very good, Airy , detailed, fast . I think it is an exellent driver for the price.

Comment

• Smokinghot
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2008
                                                                            • 85

-The Vifa XT25SC50 looks like a decent performer but, near as I can tell, is also discontinued.
                                                                            Not sure where you're at with component selection but:

Not sure how many you're looking for...lol. Or is it just wanting something that will be usable for kit use for some time to come...?

Comment

• MuaDibb
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Oct 2006
                                                                              • 94

#39
                                                                              Hey guys, I've been following this thread and looking at these two tweeters. They are supposed to be the same tweeter with different faceplates. The manufacterers graphs on Madisounds site show the 27TFFNC/CG to have better off axis response.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Even Zaph's measurements, while only on axis, are different. Once again the 27TFFNC/CG looks a little bit better.

So my question is, why the difference in measurements? Also can the faceplate be removed from the 27TFFNC/CG like the D26, I have one in hand but I can't see any easy way to detach the faceplate.
                                                                              Ultimately all things are known because we want to believe we know.

Zensunni Wanderer

Comment

• marchel
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2009
                                                                                • 11

#40
                                                                                Hi Muadibb,

Only 1 27tffnccg? , Or you mean a pair

I dont think the face plate is removable, BUt the grill is.

Comment

• jimmy154
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2010
                                                                                  • 2

#41
                                                                                  What's going on in the low end of a tweeter will always outweigh other performance issues.
                                                                                  Of course. Some one wrote:

That’s a small one. But my reading of the data looks as though the 27TFFNCG has a small edge on the DQ25SC05-04 in terms of CSD and distortion. Not a huge advantage but a little one, nonetheless.
                                                                                  And I was thinking exactly what you're thinking. Which is usually the case when I read your comments or writing. I'm glad you could bring some scientific/logical based opinions to the mainstream DIY community. But then again you have a religious type cult following which is hard for me to stomach also :E But if you have to follow some one's advice religiously you're at the top of the list

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"