Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daniel4381
    • Jul 2014

Finalist Speaker - Tower Configaration, Completed

Today I have finally completed building my finalist. I had to work day and night for last two days and completed assembling it. I did not buy the kit but bought all components separately and one of my friends brought that to my location (Bangladesh). It was my first attempt to such venture and I love it. The most unwanted mishap took place during the process is that, my friend by mistake bought 2 x NE149W but one was 4 ohm and another one 8 ohm. I had no option other than use it as it is not possible to carry or courier that for getting it right. I am thankful to Jim and Curt for their kind suggestion and advice to adjust the mid. According to Curt's suggestion I used the 8.2 ohm resistor in place of 3.3 ohm resistor (with 8 ohm ne149w) and it sound pretty close to the original design. My one is a tower configuration by extending the side panels. I forgot to order wedged foam, but I did that by myself as this kind of foam is not available here. I bought a piece of 2" foam and cut that with a sharp ( knife and I think I did that very well, lol.

Click image for larger versionName:	IMG_20160813_185044.jpgViews:	1Size:	73.3 KBID:	872049

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160812_111531.jpg Views:	1 Size:	62.1 KB ID:	872048

Today I tested the sound, and found that one of the woofers is not responding. Probably there is a mistake in wiring, to night I shall check it. But, I am not fully satisfied wirh the low frequency response. I have a pair of Bose 701 which is in the process of selling, the bass effect of it is better than finalist IMO(what I am hearing now). I heard so many good remarks about Finalist low frequency performance but I could not achieve that. There must be some kind of mistake that I have done during the build process, which I need to rectify.

I have mounted the XO at the bottom and sealed the hole properly. Cabinet is exactly as per the measurement. I have fixed the damping foam at the woofer portion of the cabinet. The wedge direction is vertically placed. The backside is fixed with the same foam from the top upto the bottom edge of the cabinet (24" of the back panel). The 2.5 Port was 8.5" ( http://www.parts-express.com/speaker...lared--260-478 )of length and I cut that to 7 3/4". I feel good air presure when I touch the port, but bass is not full. Is it that as one of the woofer in one speaker is not active so the overall depth is reduced?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160812_184501.jpg Views:	1 Size:	38.0 KB ID:	872050

I have wrapped the mid tunnel with 1 inch foam covering 7.5" from speaker end and left the 5.5 inch of the rear part without damping.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160813_211412.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.2 KB ID:	872051

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20160812_184552.jpg Views:	1 Size:	68.6 KB ID:	872052

Can someone please suggest, looking forward to getting attention of Jim
    Last edited by theSven; 01 May 2023, 16:49 Monday. Reason: Update formatting
  • daniel4381
    • Jul 2014

few more pitures
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160812_112333.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	862189Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160812_171108.jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	862190Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160812_112304.jpg
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	862186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160812_112139.jpg
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	862187Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160812_112239.jpg
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	862188

Comment

• jwanck11
      • Jan 2016

Congratulations...! The Finalists are such wonderful sounding speakers!

Comment

• Jim Holtz
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

Sorry, I've been gone all day and haven't been able to respond.

Here are some thoughts;
        • Make sure the foam you used is acoustical foam. The simple test is, you can blow through it if it's acoustical foam. If you can't blow through it, it's taking up space but not absorbing the sound waves which is bad.
        • For proper bass, both drivers need to be functioning in proper sized enclosures with a clear path to the port. I'm not familiar with Bose 701's so I can't offer a comparison but I can tell you the RS225's in the Finalists with provide accurate clean bass down to the low 30's IF the recording has bass in it. Accurate bass doesn't always sound as big as speakers that accentuate bass and takes a while to get used to. Bottom line though, you need both bass drivers working properly before you can evaluate them.
        • The mid tunnel foam should be pulled flush with the back of the speaker rather than be positioned close to the mid driver. That will muffle the midrange sound quality.
        • When ever issues arise with a new build, double and triple check the crossovers to ensure polarity and wiring is correct.

I hope that helps a bit. Please let us know what you find.

Jim

Comment

• Jim Holtz
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by jwanck11
          Congratulations...! The Finalists are such wonderful sounding speakers!
          Thank you for the very kind word! I'm really pleased that you are enjoying your pair.

Jim

Comment

• daniel4381
            • Jul 2014

Thanks Jim, I have already corrected the bad soldering of the woofer, now it is ok. I shall check the foam and correct the mid tunnel damping. I have kept tha speaker running to night for breaking in and repeat that for next few days. Meanwhile I shall take the speaker cabinet for painting. Thanks again for your kind suggestion.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"