X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dougc
    • Jan 2010

Finalist questions

I have changed my mind from building the Zaph ZDT3.5 toward the Finalists for use in my living room/HT area, I think. Is there a Finalist center design?

I have the Zaph ZDT3.5 center, and have 4 of the RS180s in my mains, which replaced the blown drivers in my old Advent Reference Towers among other poor modifications. The original plan was to complete the ZDT3.5 for the R and L. I recently finished a LCR for my father and love the sound, but am anxious to try something different. The Finalist was recommended by the guys at Meniscus and I see that it's design favors close to the wall placement. So I think I'll scrap the Zaph center and start over with a set of Finalists if there is a design for the center. My mains are currently in the corners elevated 4' from the ground and within inches of the walls due to doorways, windows, couches, etc. The Finalists would need to be in this same place. Can I decrease the depth to 10" and increase the height (while maintaining volume) so that I can fit them into the same space? Although not ideal, it's the only wife-approved placement in the room.

Third, is there a surround design that would use the same tweeter (RS28f) as the Finalist and the RS180 so I can repurpose the 6 drivers I already have?

Thanks!

This will be for 7.2 in a 12x22 room with vaulted ceiling, lots of doorways and windows, poor acoustics, 2x LMS-Ultra vented for LFE, Onkyo 818
    Last edited by dougc; 10 June 2013, 17:51 Monday.
  • Jim Holtz
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dougc
    I have changed my mind from building the Zaph ZDT3.5 toward the Finalists for use in my living room/HT area, I think. Is there a Finalist center design?

I have the Zaph ZDT3.5 center, and have 4 of the RS180s in my mains, which replaced the blown drivers in my old Advent Reference Towers among other poor modifications. The original plan was to complete the ZDT3.5 for the R and L. I recently finished a LCR for my father and love the sound, but am anxious to try something different. The Finalist was recommended by the guys at Meniscus and I see that it's design favors close to the wall placement. So I think I'll scrap the Zaph center and start over with a set of Finalists if there is a design for the center. My mains are currently in the corners elevated 4' from the ground and within inches of the walls due to doorways, windows, couches, etc. The Finalists would need to be in this same place. Can I decrease the depth to 10" and increase the height (while maintaining volume) so that I can fit them into the same space? Although not ideal, it's the only wife-approved placement in the room.

Third, is there a surround design that would use the same tweeter (RS28f) as the Finalist and the RS180 so I can repurpose the 6 drivers I already have?

Thanks!

This will be for 7.2 in a 12x22 room with vaulted ceiling, lots of doorways and windows, poor acoustics, 2x LMS-Ultra vented for LFE, Onkyo 818
    Hi Doug,

I don't think you'll like many of my answers.

There isn't a center developed specifically for The Finalists yet. Curt and I've discussed it and there will probably be one in the future but it'll be based on (2) RS225's so the cabinet will be large. The Statements center works great with The Finalists but requires placement 18" from the wall behind with nothing blocking the back wave from the open mid tunnel. It doesn't have the option to be closed.

The Finalists cabinet can't be altered more than about 10% from the original design or it'll affect the crossover. Width and depth are critical.

The Finalists work great close wall with the mid tunnel blocked but they sound soooo much better with open back and correct positioning.

I can't answer the surround questions. I've not been involved in a design utilizing RS28F and RS180's. Jon Modula M/T's would probably work fine with the RS28F rather than the RS28A but that would be a question for Jon to answer.

Honestly, it sounds like the primary purpose is home theater. The Finalists work great in home theater but with your placement limitations they are not a good choice. Open back designs have placement requirements that require a more conventional room that allows away from the wall placement.

Good luck with what ever you decide to build.

Jim

Comment

• dougc
      • Jan 2010

Thanks for the response Jim. This room causes me trouble every step of the way. I am at a loss of what to build - I am realizing that nothing will be ideal, so I will have to find something that will be the best not-ideal design. A large center would not look too out of place resting atop the 26 cu ft enclosure for the sub drivers. Would the Finalists do well if 6" from the wall toed in, or will being in the corner destroy the sound of the mids?

I listen to music, all kinds, every minute I'm home, except for when we watch movies, which is almost every night. So I want to find something Great to build.

Comment

• cjd
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Dec 2004

The Garnacha will handle the RS180 as woofers and the RS28F. Khanspires are a step up in size, RS225 on the bottom. Plenty of designs in the "Khan" family that will match up really nicely as well including a center, so for HT you've got your choices. The Khanspire in particular is designed to do reasonably well in less than ideal placements such as you mention (6" from wall, in a corner...)

Curt and Jim have put together some superb designs, and if you can get them working within their design constraints I'm sure you'll be thrilled. We've got lots of options around here beyond just my designs as well, so by no means feel obligated.

C
        diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• dougc
          • Jan 2010

cjd - thank you for the input. I will search for those designs you mention, and I will get some photos together of my room to show my placement constraints. I'm definetely not in a big hurry - I enjoy the process, so I want to do it right. I am several years in the planning so far, waiting for the perfect design to jump out. I have the CSL UMIK on order to make some measurements to determine reflections with different placement options as well.

edit: I really like the Khanspires! The tweeter is a big step up from the ZDT. Is the mid also an improvement over the ZDT mid?
          Last edited by dougc; 10 June 2013, 23:11 Monday.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"