X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BigJim_inFLA
    • Jun 2006

Good to be Back! Time to Upgrade?

Hello all! Been away for a while finishing school, but now I am done, employed, and no longer broke! A few years back I built sonosub. Then a pair of Modula MTs, loved the sound and the build. You might say I became addicted to speaker building. A set of Nat P's, the RS 3 ways and center channel soon followed. All this with minimal tools in a 1 bedroom apartment. I had to stop to focus on school, and because I had run out of room.

Now I have a house with a big garage and a work seven days have seven days off schedule that is just perfect for some new projects. I am currently finishing up some bass bins that I built a few years ago but never painted or veneered. When those are done I was thinking a new sub or subs. My sonosub does not fill this much larger room as well as it did my smaller places. I was thinking going to a sealed arrangement using the Maelstrom 18" or the Maelstrom 21" driver. Are there any other big subs that I should be looking at?
  • BigJim_inFLA
    • Jun 2006

I'm finally getting around to finishing my bass bins. They will be cherry veneer with piano black lacquer baffles. I don't have an air compressor yet, but I have been using my SCUBA tanks as an air source for the spray gun. Works like a charm.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speakers_20100903_03sm.jpg
Views:	1423
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	855303

Name:	Speakers_20100905_06sm.jpg
Views:	1598
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	855304
    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 14:33 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Dean100
      • Jan 2007

Welcome back Jim. Your bass bin build was a lot of help to me when I built some bass bins to go under my Nat P's. Keep up the great work.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
        • Jun 2006

Thanks Dean, glad I could give a little back after all the help I got here.

Today I started applying the cherry veneer to the bass bins. I have never veneered anything so large before, but it all is going rather smoothly.

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_03.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	855316

Applying the glue with a foam roller.

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_06.jpg
Views:	1388
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	855317

The veneer wrinkles a bit after applying the glue.

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_08.jpg
Views:	1339
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	855318

Ironing it on.

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_10.jpg
Views:	1331
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	855319

Ready to trim. In the past I have always trimmed my veneer with a sharp x-acto knife and a straight edge, but because these are so big I am trying a veneer edge trimmer and a veneer saw. I'll see which one is easier.
        Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 14:33 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• TacoD
          Super Senior Member
          • Feb 2004

On the first photo I could not really judge how big your bass are, but when a big fellow stand next to them it became clear. These are some serious bass bins .

Nice work, good look with trimming of the veneer.

Comment

• Johnloudb
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2007

Jim, Nice Work! What kind of glue did you use to apply the veneer? I am planning on using contact cement for a veneer job soon ... first time. I'm going to use a veneer scraper to apply pressure and smooth the veneer.

Looks like you've gone a different route. What does the ironing do? I've never applied veneer before, but have 2 sheets of walnut veneer to put on.
            John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Johnloudb
              Looks like you've gone a different route. What does the ironing do?
              Iron-on method is described here:

Designed specifically for iron-on veneering - Heat Lock bonds raw and paper-backed veneers to wood, plywood, and more with an ordinary household clothes iron.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2007

Thanks Jed, That site gives a good description.
                John unk:

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                  • Jun 2006

I use Titebond wood glue thinned 50:50 with water, goes on smooth and dries fast. Once it is dry its easy to position the veneer where you want it before bonding it by ironing. When you veneer get one of these...

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_12.jpg
Views:	1303
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	855320

makes trimming a breeze. Easily saved me hours over the way I used to do it. Had the whole thing trimmed in just a few minutes, and only needed a bit of sanding to get it just right.

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_11.jpg
Views:	1183
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	855321

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_14.jpg
Views:	1296
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	855322

Finished with veneer.

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_15.jpg
Views:	1279
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	855323
                  Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 14:34 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                    • Jun 2006

Putting on the first coat of boiled linseed oil.

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_16.jpg
Views:	2245
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	855324

Name:	aBassBins_20100917_21.jpg
Views:	1367
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	855325

I had some left over cherry veneer from when I built my Nat P's that was big enough for the tops and got new for the sides. The older cherry is a bit darker than the new. It is not quite as noticeable as in this picture, but it is darker. I'm hoping it will even out over time.
                    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 14:35 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Johnloudb
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2007

I've had some piece of wood outside for some time, but out of the weather. And they now have a darker shade that those that were indoors, but from the same sheet. I think maybe the sun did it. Don't know. But, maybe overtime they could look more the same shade ... maybe give them some sunlight.
                      John unk:

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Yes the sun and other elements change hardwood finishes over time. In a few years they won't even look the same shade at all. Finishes age over time.

Just like the orange wood.....I forget what it's called but when you first finish it, it's crazy bright orange. Over a few years though it turns into this gorgeous red color.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                          • Jun 2006

When I first built my Nat P's everyone I asked told me the cherry would darken over time due to UV exposure. I did a number of test panels to decide how I wanted to finish them and ended up using a little bit of red dye, just a tiny bit actually, in the shellac to darken then up a bit. If I knew they would have ended up looking like the tops of these cabinets I might have forgone the dye. Too late now as I will try to match these to the Nat P's that will be sitting on top of them. Here is a pic of the Nat P when it was newly finished, just after completing the bass bin build in March of 2007. (yes it really has taken me three and a half years to get around to finishing these.)

I will take a pic of how they look now and post to show how much darker they have gotten in 3 years, it is quite noticeable.
                          Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 14:36 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                            • Jun 2006

Here is a pic of the cherry veneer as it looked just after finishing, on the left, and a pic taken this morning on the right.

Name:	Compare.jpg
Views:	1280
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	855326

They have darkened quite a bit in 3 years or so.
                            Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 14:35 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

Yes any real natural wood will darken with age. Some people are horrified at a new finish, but you have to explain to them it will change over time.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                • Jun 2006

A little more progress today. I padded on two coats of shellac...

Name:	aBassBins_20100919_01.jpg
Views:	1125
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	855330

then started with the first of a few coats of polyurethane.

Name:	aBassBins_20100919_05.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	855331

Hopefully they will be done before I have to start back to work on Wednesday.

Comment

• TacoD
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2004

To me they look finished, you only have to mount the woofers + x-overs But this can also take some time, especially if the driver cut-outs do not fit any more due to the paint swells the MDF a little bit.

Comment

• BigJim_inFLA
                                    • Jun 2006

DONE! No crossovers, actively crossed with Behringer CX2310. I had the driver cutouts swell once before so now I always sand them a little oversize before I paint.

Name:	aIMG_1988.jpg
Views:	1017
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	855332

Name:	aIMG_1989.jpg
Views:	995
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	855333
                                    Last edited by theSven; 13 August 2023, 14:36 Sunday. Reason: Update image location

Comment

• Hdale85
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Jan 2006

Looks good!

Comment

• Face
                                        • Mar 2007

Looks great! Just wipe off the surround and they'll be perfect.
                                        SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• Dean100
                                          • Jan 2007

Very Nice! :T

Comment

• richnen
                                            • Jul 2010

Very nice build!
                                            Seas Idunn
                                            ZA5.2
                                            ZA5.3CC
                                            SB Acoustics 12" sub
                                            Statement Monitors
                                            CLD M5B

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • May 2007

Jim,

I think I'm going to do something similar with the finish on my speaker project. I plan on painting the back of the speaker black, and a walnut veneer on the front and then putting polyurethane over the whole thing.

I don't know much at all about doing finishes though. What was the purpose of the boiled linseed oil and shellac?

I don't plan on putting any stain on the walnut, just a natural finish.

Also, was that just a flat black paint you put on? And then did you put the polyurethane over it?

Any tips would very welcome. Thanks.

John
                                              John unk:

Comment

• Solid7
                                                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by Dougie085
                                                Yes any real natural wood will darken with age. Some people are horrified at a new finish, but you have to explain to them it will change over time.

Actually, some woods will LIGHTEN with age. Teak comes to mind...

Comment

Working...
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"