X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kingdaddy
    • Jan 2004

Not your typical Sonosub

Adire Maelstrom 18" driver in a 247L Sonotube tuned to 19Hz with a 8" diameter port and a closeable Port Valve that rests on top the Port opening. The knob at the bottom of the enclosure will open and close the port effectively sealing the sub for Music requirements. I've built at least 3 different prototypes up to 340L and found that the smaller enclosures sounded better plus they modeled well for sealed, so I was left with a port sticking out as all the smaller diameter ports had port noise at extreme levels. After the prototype was up and playing and I got the sound where I wanted it I decided to dress up the port as it was a real eye sore. This lead me to the decorative oak ring and ultimately to the solid oak Port Valve which is operated by a truck window crank mechanism. It actually has a real function and works better than I ever thought, the valve clamps down very tight and totally sealed the enclosure with just a twist of a knob, and man does it sound different, much tighter but not nearly as low, perfect for music IMO.

I’m running a Mackie 1400i with the VC’s paralleled to 2 ohms which would be 700w per sub and of coarse a BFD which I’m in the process of setting up right now.

I don't have these on a web site and I can't figure out how to post a picture directly so I'll have to post a link to another site that has the pics.

My Center Channel Project
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Mike I fixed your links and added some pictures for you.

Very nice work!

Comment

• Kingdaddy
      • Jan 2004

Thank you very much Andrew, that will be much eaiser then the link.
      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• robertwb70
        • Oct 2003

wow-that's really cool-especially the window crank and the whole sealed/ported thing

I like those satelite speakers too-the stands look kinda like ladders and the woofer/mid enclosures remind me of bongo type drums

=+=+=+=+=+=+=
        "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston
        =+=+=+=+=+=+=
        "The appreciation of music is subjective.The reproduction of music isn't."-Bill Dudleston

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Mike, that is some impressive workmanship there fella! ;x(

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"