X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Johnloudb
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2007

I keep wondering about a board defect causing this problem. I mean I have found shorts to ground around pads, and whose knows what stray capacitances or resistances there are on the board that aren't quite a short?

I'll measure the resistances again and see if they check out. the crossover frequency is on the dot, but maybe a resistance path that shouldn't be there is causing problems? Just just on part of the positive half cycle?

This is so weard!
    John unk:

"Why can't we all just, get along?" ~ Jack Nicholson (Mars Attacks)

My Website (hyperacusis, tinnitus, my story)

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

You had the boards custom made to your specs, IIRC, right?
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2007

It is only apparent near the crossover frequency too, which is a pretty low frequency. So, could a board defect really cause a problem that low a frequency? Micro diodes?

Well, look at the board again later today and maybe find something.
        John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
          You had the boards custom made to your specs, IIRC, right?
          Just saw your comment. Yeah I had the boards made by expressPCB using their layout software. The board had some pads where the copper wasn't completely etched through, and caused shorts that I blew up like a fuse, after given sone helpful advice on the forum here.

Sorry, what does IIRC mean?
          John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Johnloud
            what does IIRC mean?
            If I Recall Correctly

Originally posted by Johnloudb
            Just saw your comment. Yeah I had the boards made by expressPCB using their layout software. The board had some pads where the copper wasn't completely etched through, and caused shorts that I blew up like a fuse, after given sone helpful advice on the forum here.

So was the board defective?
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2007

Yeah, I was really surprised. It shouldn't have pads shorted to the ground plane, except where I put pads connected to ground. You couldn't see the short, just a really very thin layer of metal, that didn't get etched through. I had to put some current through to blow it, and open the circuit.
              John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

Did you 'High Current' all the circuit paths on the boards?

Did you ask the supplier for a refund or replacements?

Your information is making me V suspicious of these boards.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Hank
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jul 2002

I'm thinking that also. Perhaps dirty baths or insufficient tank time. I've seen lots of not-obvious-at-first PCB defects pointed out in incoming QC back in the day. Icicles, whiskers, shorts that were just like lint - so tiny. But John is not doing high freq stuff here. He has signal, so this doesn't sound like more blatant shorts. Maybe a signal trace too close to ground plane at the wrong spot, creating a tad of capacitance. Where is Sherlock when ya need him?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2007

Well, I think the circuit design is Okay, just because spice worked fine and my prototype worked fine. I agree with you guys that a problem with the PCB board may be causing this issue, but I can't say for sure how. My only other thought is that the caps could be damaged, but I have not solved any problems to date by replacing caps. So I have another board here, the one that had the short at the regulator output. And I'll get that ready, and test it, see if it has the same issue.

I'm going to contact express PCB as well, and see about replacement boards. It's been some time, so I'll just have to see.
                    John unk:

Comment

• Hank
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jul 2002

Just send 'em photos of the defects, with an explanation of the hours you've invested in troubleshooting. Maybe send them a board and ask them to look at it under a microscope or x-ray it. Their defects have certainly caused you a big delay and wasted time.

Comment

• Johnloudb
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Hank
                        Just send 'em photos of the defects, with an explanation of the hours you've invested in troubleshooting. Maybe send them a board and ask them to look at it under a microscope or x-ray it. Their defects have certainly caused you a big delay and wasted time.
                        I've four unused boards and have found shorted pads on every one! I'm circling then with a marker and I'll send a photo. They cannot deny the problem!
                        John unk:

Comment

• Hank
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jul 2002

sic 'em!

Comment

• Johnloudb
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2007

sic 'em!
                            I'm on it time will tell.

School is has started today ... Impressed with my teachers. School has improved since I was their 17 years ago! Very teaching oriented and knowledgeable professors who communicate well, and care. More professional instead of amateur. Before the EE department was mostly a research oriented program ... Teaching was an afterthought. There were some very good ones but some real losers too! Systems sucked eggs!

I will do my best to stay focused and spend time on speaker as well!
                            John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2007

sic 'em!
                              New boards are on the way! Took them awhile but very thankful they are replacing them. I'm think I'm going to test the other board I have completed and see if it has the same problem with the high pass filter circuits.
                              John unk:

Comment

• wkhanna
                                • Jan 2006

Nice that they stand behind their products.

Not so nice you lost so much time.

But trouble shooting is one of the best ways to learn your craft, if not a V pleasant exercise.
                                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2007

Originally posted by wkhanna
                                  Nice that they stand behind their products.

Not so nice you lost so much time.

But trouble shooting is one of the best ways to learn your craft, if not a V pleasant exercise.
                                  Absolutely! learned quite a bit about trouble shooting ... been a real learning experience. Though, let's have no more learning experiences with this project, please!!! Not quite there yet, but hope it goes more smoothly.

I just got to spend time on this ... that's the trick. Got the new boards but first want to find out the issue I'm having with the Low Pass filter. I've almost got the other board ready to test, I checked it out good with multi-meter and the connections look okay.
                                  John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • May 2007

Think I should update. I have looked at this some more and talked to my analog IC design professor about this problem awhile back. I showed him a waveform around 400Hz that looked pretty noisy, and he suggested that there was ringing and that it could oscillating and that the circuit may be unstable. Said that either the trace capacitances or my change in component values for this circuit vs. my prototype could have caused this. Changing values (scaling the values for lower impedance) does affect the the loop gain since the resistance and cap values inherent in the devices don't change as well.

But I'm more inclined to blame the PCB because the distorted waveforms of each buffer are different, the second stage always being the worst and this didn't change with me changing out JFET devices.

Okay, so still need to hook up the other board and see how that looks. I'll really try to give it a go after I finish this homework assignment due Thursday.

I want this to get done! Just wish it could finish itself oh, I'm a bad engineer, to be ...
                                    John unk:

Comment

• Hank
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Jul 2002

Hi Jon - hang in there, man. You've got a sticky problem. I've wondered about trace capacitances on that PCB. Is there an internal ground layer, or is it just a two-sided board?

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2007

Hi Jon - hang in there, man. You've got a sticky problem. I've wondered about trace capacitances on that PCB. Is there an internal ground layer, or is it just a two-sided board?
                                        It's a two sided board, ground plane on top. I hate to keep this dragging, really hate it ... Hopefully can test that other board out this weekend. it is the one that had the power supply short and is still missing a PS cap I removed. Hard to get a replacement soldered in there but will get one in. If it works okay, then I think I'll just buy new parts and stuff the new boards, with the same value filter caps.

If it has the same problems I'll go back to the values I had in the prototype filter that worked. Also stuffing new boards.

Sorry for late reply ... Didn't get around to checking the message board ... Had an assignment due.
                                        John unk:

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • May 2007

Feels like years since I've posted here ... Been around 10 months. Glad to still see familiar people still here. Just been so focused on other life stuff!

I found that the problem with my Circuit was a stability issue, not a PCB problem. So have gone back to higher impedance values that worked in my prototype crossover ...

I'll post more in a bit, I've got to get this done for myself ...
                                          John unk:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                            Mad Max Moderator
                                            • Aug 2000

OK- glad to see you're working on this and seem to have a handle on the issues- keep us informed of progress! 2016 is the year of progress- should be for you, too! :B :T
                                            the AudioWorx
                                            Natalie P
                                            M8ta
                                            Modula Neo DCC
                                            Modula MT XE
                                            Modula Xtreme
                                            Isiris
                                            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                            Minerva Monitor
                                            Calliope
                                            Ardent D

In Development...
                                            Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                            Obi-Wan
                                            Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                            Modula PWB
                                            Calliope CC Supreme
                                            Natalie P Ultra
                                            Natalie P Supreme
                                            Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                            Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Jul 2002

Hi John - glad to see you back and determined to finish your project. I did something in December that I'd thought about for months: I built a 134" diagonal projection screen for a used JVC RS25 projector I won on ebay. What beautiful PQ that JVC produces! Projectors suffer incredible price depreciation - worse than cars. That PJ was $7,995 when introduced 6 years ago and I bought it for $747:E Anyway, I look forward to your speaker project completion.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                Mad Max Moderator
                                                • Aug 2000

That's a stone cold deal, Hank- even if you need to replace the bulb soon!

Man, I just took a look at their current offerings- hoo boy, that DLA RS56 is one heck of a piece for $8K, and the RS4810 is pretty amazing at $5K.

But at $747 you've got the value proposition down cold!
                                                the AudioWorx
                                                Natalie P
                                                M8ta
                                                Modula Neo DCC
                                                Modula MT XE
                                                Modula Xtreme
                                                Isiris
                                                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                Minerva Monitor
                                                Calliope
                                                Ardent D

In Development...
                                                Obi-Wan
                                                Modula PWB
                                                Calliope CC Supreme
                                                Natalie P Ultra
                                                Natalie P Supreme
                                                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Johnloudb
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2007

Hank, wow ... What a great project! And great deal! Awesome

Jon, I sure hope I have a good handle on this. I have tested two boards with same result ... Get that wild distortion at and below crossover frequency for the high pass.

Glad to be back you guys ... Going to order some correct value caps tomorrow, I have the resistors ... Updates to come!
                                                  John unk:

Comment

• Hank
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Jul 2002

Couldn't help it, Jon - I negotiate Sourcing contracts. BTW, the owner had a spare new lamp and included it:W
                                                    Yes, I actually broke my procrastination and built something! Maybe I'll post photos on the appropriate HT area on HTGUIDE.
                                                    I've built so many speakers that I just can't get motivated to do any more, especially since I acquired a pair of Acoustat Model 3's last year.
                                                    Of course, I've applied a bit of my procrastination to that - a few months ago I bought upgrade parts for the interfaces: resistors, caps, wire.
                                                    Also high voltage diodes and caps to replace those on the HV ladder PCB's.
                                                    Speaking of PQ, the John Wayne movies directed by John Ford - wow! There's a reason directors didn't shoot movies in Monument Valley after Ford did his - he OWNED Monument Valley!
                                                    Spectacular direction and cinematography:T

It appears Johnloudb and I are conquering our procrastination, year by year.

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                      Mad Max Moderator
                                                      • Aug 2000

I was going to ask if you had a new lamp for it, but geez, you're covered! Way to score....

But now I'm starting to daydream about that RS56- have always like the JVC DILA projectors and technology. I might even have a viable plan for sneaking it in here past the GF- :W :B
                                                      the AudioWorx
                                                      Natalie P
                                                      M8ta
                                                      Modula Neo DCC
                                                      Modula MT XE
                                                      Modula Xtreme
                                                      Isiris
                                                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                      Minerva Monitor
                                                      Calliope
                                                      Ardent D

In Development...
                                                      Obi-Wan
                                                      Modula PWB
                                                      Calliope CC Supreme
                                                      Natalie P Ultra
                                                      Natalie P Supreme
                                                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hank
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Jul 2002

I might even have a viable plan for sneaking it in here past the GF-
                                                        Yeah, right. The JVC's are huge projectors - you can't sneak it in your backpack. Just be prepped to answer the question: "That looks like it cost more than any speaker components - didn't it?:uhoh:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Well, she knows those diamond tweeters were kind of pricey, and if you've gotten something similar looking for less than half what I paid for them, maybe I have a chance, if I can convince her they're used....

Oh heck, I just discovered the JVC RS57 - the 56 is out of production. Native contrast ratio of 120K:1. Data up to 4096x2160 (like my LG monitors) Oh my...

Of course, these aren't really native 4K panels; they use the eShift technology to move the chip to an alternate position and scan the other pixels from HD, but reviews say it is pretty close to the native panels on that high end Sony. I wonder what pretty close actually looks like... something to ponder when I have more time.

=====================

well, the somewhat more expensive Sony VPLVW365 has it's achilles heel; contrast ratio and black levels. That's it's main performance weakness, along with overall brightness (i.e., not so bright, even compared with just slightly higher rated other Sony projectors). And mind you, the Sony goes for for about $2K more.

Just be advised... early adopters may experience some pain!
                                                          Last edited by JonMarsh; 20 January 2016, 18:14 Wednesday.
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• wkhanna
                                                            • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Johnloudb
                                                            Feels like years since I've posted here ... Been around 10 months.....I found that the problem with my Circuit ...
                                                            Well done, John!

Glad to hear from you.
                                                            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                            Search Result for "|||"