X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kirknelson
    • Sep 2006

A few finishing questions (Veneer)

I'm about to begin building a pair of NatPs which will eventually be used as surrounds with a the Khanspires/Khancenter. I plan to paint the baffles black and veneer the remaining 5 sides. This will be my first attempt at veneering a project and I have a few questions before I begin.

I plan to use the iron on method.

What is the best way to cut the veneer to get a flush edge (tools?)?

Should I veneer before cutting the hole and recess for the rear port?
    How about before/after drilling the holes for the binding posts?

If I veneer afterwards, how do I make a clean circular cut/hole around these openings? How do I prevent the veneer from spliting as I iron around the port opening?

Thanks in advance. I'm sure you've probably answered these questions before but I was unable to find the answers using a search. They are probably buried on page 15 of one of the monster posts here. :E
  • Rolex
    • Mar 2005

You are correct. Your questions have been answered here many times. Here are the quick answers to your questions.

If you use the iron on method, make sure you buy backed veneer. Either wood or paper backed will work. Raw veneer will not. A router with a flush trim bit is the quickest way to trim the veneer. If you are talking about cutting it while still in sheet form before application, a utility or scissors will work just fine.

I always veneer before recessing drivers. You have to have confidence doing this though, there is no turning back. If you want to recess drivers first, you can trim the veneer in the driver recess by using a laminate flush trim bit with a fixed bearing. Grind the bearing down so the thickness of the bearing is just slightly less than the depth of the recess.

Comment

• mikela
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Rolex
      I always veneer before recessing drivers. You have to have confidence doing this though, there is no turning back. If you want to recess drivers first, you can trim the veneer in the driver recess by using a laminate flush trim bit with a fixed bearing. Grind the bearing down so the thickness of the bearing is just slightly less than the depth of the recess.
      Any thoughts on how to flush mount the drivers if you already recessed them expecting to paint? My first thoughts were to use the veneer (or similar material) inside the recessed area to raise the speaker flush with the baffle surface.

Mike

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"