X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bemis23
    • May 2009

Veneer shrinkage?

I'm finally getting around to finishing a pair of subwoofers made ages ago. The baffle and rear panels are painted black with a clear coat enamel and finished. I just received my veneer (paper-backed quartersawn douglas fir) and I'm waiting for the Heat-Lock to arrive, supposedly tonight.

I've been reading the Joe Woodworker site and he mentions that you can expect shrinkage with iron-on applications and to over size the veneer, but I've not seen any mention of how much shrinkage to expect. I'm particularly concerned about being able keep the veneer lined up straight since the side panels are fairly large (15"x~36"). I was thinking to use some masking tape to keep things neat and tidy, but I'm not sure how easy that is if I need a large overhang when applying the veneer. Anyone got some tips?
  • dar47
    • Nov 2008

Just cut 2" longer and wider and glue at least 1" longer. The glue is dry so lining up is easy and you just use a flush trim bit on your router to trim. When gluing the veneer lay flat on a board and tape the veneer tight that gives the 1" with glue and 1" for the tape to over lap the veneer and board as well as keeping the veneer flat while the glue drys. A good practice is to cover the veneer with tape where the router flush trim bit barring is riding so you don't score the veneer. It also leaves a little material that overhangs and can be easily sanded by hand. I do bottom 1st. then back then sides and fronts and the top last.

Comment

• bemis23
      • May 2009

Thanks for the tips. Veneer is set and sanded and first coat of tung oil is on. Picture incoming as soon as I get the 2nd coat of oil on and remove the masking.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"