X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DAVE.S
    • Jan 2010

veneering over 1/2 round over?

i ordered 10 mill paperbacked Cherry veneer im planning on a 1 peice whole front and sides covrege on the statments wil the 1/2'' roundover allow the veneer to bend and cover the face or will i need to order veneer softner
  • DeathMonk
    • Jun 2008

I thought the statements were supposed to be a 3/4 roundover? Anyway, I used softner on the 1/2 roundovers I did on the Bose Busters and it looked like it was necessary.

Comment

• penngray
      • Sep 2007

I didnt use softener on 3/4" round overs when I used paperbacked. Although there is no reason not too.

Comment

• Silversmoky
        • Nov 2007

I would definitely suggest ordering softener to get paperbacked veneer to go around a 1/2 roundover. Raw veneer will go around a 1/2 quite nicely, usually, but paper backed is much stiffer and thicker. I have tried it without softener and been very generous with the glue and have still had some puckering on the corners.

Comment

• Hank
          Super Senior Member
          • Jul 2002

Hi Dave, may I ask why you want to do 1/2" radius roundovers?

Comment

• DAVE.S
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by Hank
            Hi Dave, may I ask why you want to do 1/2" radius roundovers?
            why not? thats the bit i had laying around so i used it i was told either would work fine

Comment

• john trials
              • Mar 2009

I used the exact same veneer on my Statements (with a 3/4" roundover). When I tried a dry fit of the HUGE piece of veneer that wraps around the front and sides, I heard cracking sounds from the veneer starting to split. I thought I was going to have a disaster. I used the iron/glue method to attach the veneer. All went smoothly once I applied the glue to the veneer and ironed it on. I think the glue added moisture to the veneer, softening it, and the heat from the iron also helped wrap the veneer without it splitting or cracking.

I'm just mentioning this because 3/4" might be pretty close to the minimum radius the cherry veneer with wrap around without cracking. If I were you, I'd try a bunch of test pieces first, if you're really going to do veneer around a 1/2" radius. That's a huge sheet of veneer, and it'd be a shame to ruin all your hard work so far.

I didn't have a 3/4" roundover bit (or a router big enough to fit one, either). I chamfered the corners of my Statements and then sanded the 3/4" radius. It's not hard to do, and the roundover came out perfectly. Just another option for you.
              Statements: "They usually kill the desire to build anything else."

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"