• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Originally posted by wkhanna
    Ha!

I will not say thing about the last time someone commented on the hemostats in my tool box!

But mine have a slightly different color on the tips from projects in the far, far past.

These days, I even keep a set of these on the stereo rack for cleaning the stylus on my turntable.
    I own a good set of those, but unfortunately, mine are in the work lab at the moment, and my stereo microscope is in my storage unit- had to get by with naked Mk I eyeball. Solution? Squint a lot...
    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 09:44 Tuesday. Reason: Remove broken image link
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Damn...definitely going to have to take a trip to Pittsburgh soon! So many new speakers to listen to!

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Hdale85
        Damn...definitely going to have to take a trip to Pittsburgh soon! So many new speakers to listen to!
        Yeah, you really should come by some time!
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

NatalieP Deluxe for Bill....

OK, making some progress this Saturday, my comp day yesterday got blown off by my boss, but today is wife his probably keeping him busy and at bay... :W

So, what we've got here is an updated schematic proposal for Bill, considering his plan to use the nice and spendy Scanspeak tweeter instead, which is about 4 dB more efficient. And some nice shiny new expensive caps in the crossover, too. Not being one to leave well enough alone, I also have dreamed up a more deluxe version, using a zobel network for the tweeter, which makes things a little more happy in the tweeter roll off. Sort of the OCD approach to a NatalieP, as if one really wanted an Ardent, but was settling because that dip Jonmarsh can't ever seem to finish the Ardent design, and besides, your wife wouldn't approve that much money for crossover parts!

So, first the "standard" upgrade, without the zobel network added:

Click image for larger version

Name:	NataliePSSDeluxeSchemNZ_zpsbb36083e.png
Views:	263
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	934887

Name:	NataliePSSDeluxeSPLNZ_zps1f9e61e1.png
Views:	270
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	934888

Quite respectable performance for a budget setup (a few more things tweaked slightly in component values), but no way to fix that unsightly bump in the response of the tweeter that arises from it's Fs impedance peak around 500 Hz.

Next, the slightly higher priced spread:

Name:	NataliePSSDeluxeSchem_zpsfcd3f048.png
Views:	268
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	934889

Mmm,mmm, good!

Name:	NataliePSSDeluxeSPL_zps261c1334.png
Views:	271
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	934890

And just for good measure, the usual sanity check with a reverse connection of the tweeter:

Name:	NataliePSSDeluxeSPLInverted_zpsf21c8829.png
Views:	253
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	934891

Nothing to complain about there...

well, you could probably build this just on my LspCAD sims and things SHOULD work out just fine, but if you're not in an all fired hurry, I should be able to get parts on hand in early October to build a test channel, (excepting the SS tweeter, which will be a slightly less sensitive version) and build and test this out by Halloween. Right now my discretionary budget for September is tied up in a couple of parts orders for the Isiris midrange re-build, and in a ludicrous amount of new gear to support the music server- as they say, I'm all tapped out! Can't even afford a new guitar this month, not one!!! :roll:
          Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 09:42 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
          Obi-Wan
          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Rbrockman
            • Aug 2007

Feeling very fortunate to have just found this discussion! I've been looking for a new speaker build for a 2-channel music only system. These may just be the ticket. My first ever DIY build was the Modula MT many years ago, and am still using these as rear channels. After plunging into home theater for the last few years, I'd like get back into a good music only setup.

This week I've been looking at many DIY builds, all of them requiring a long cabinet build process which I'd like to avoid - and then along comes this build thread - which if I'm following correctly could be completed with the PE 1.0ft cabinets! Please correct me if this is not the case.

I do have a question though. Your build is using a vastly upgraded tweeter over the original NatP. I'm wondering if you ever considered different improved woofers? Perhaps something in between the RS180 and the SS Relevators - maybe something like the Seas Prestige U18RNX/P? Just interested in your thoughts on the woofer selection - I realize you already have the investment in the RS180's.

Comment

• wkhanna
              • Jan 2006

Yes, these are perfect for the PE cabinets.

As I understand, the performance of the RS180 is far above its price point.
              But even more importantly, its characteristics fit Jon's design goals incredibly well.
              Sometimes you just do not need to spend more to get more.

If you are looking a V good & relatively economical 2-way specifically for music, I can not recommend a better design.
              I have been happily using my standard NatP's in my music system for over six years.
              During that time, I have made upgrades to every other component & have always been able to extract all of the enhanced performance.
              I have heard a lot speakers since I built these & in all honestly, I have yet to come across any retail product that is as balanced, detailed or involving for anything under $4k.
              _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Evil Twin
                Super Senior Member
                • Nov 2004

Yes, this can be built with just the PE 1 cu ft MTM cabinet- for more extended low frequency response, a larger DIY floor standing tower with the same width is a path proven by many.

While I am not Bill, and cannot speak to his preferences, as the original designer, I can speak to the issues surrounding component selection for the NatalieP.
                • Drivers were selected for neutality within the planned operating range, balanced against cost. Distortion was given equal consideration with response linearity, both non-linear distoriton and linear distortion (resonance within the passband, such as is often revealed with impedance measurments, where mechanical reactances show up as a bump in the impedance curve
                • The over riding preference was to avoid sins of commission; let the program speak for itself, to the degree possible within the design budget
                • The crossover is an unorthodox design specifically optimized by inherent design for the front to back displacmeent of tweeter and midwoofer mounted on the same baffle; hences, it's derivation from a Linikwitz Riley style 3rd order, which does not work suitably with conincident drivers with acoustic origins in the same plane, and is therefore not studied or understood by most.
                • The RS180 has exceptionally low non-linear distortion as almost any 7" woofer goes (even the Scanspeak Illuminator series has little advantage, or the Revelators), and is free of linear resonances in the critical midrange up through 3 kHz.

I do not in fact believe that the Seas you mention would be an "upgrade"-

Name:	H1571-freq.png
Views:	56
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	934892

The woven polypropylene damps the high frequency resonance, outside the desired passband, making crossover development easier for the unskilled. But I discarded using polypropylene cones in the 90's after detailed investigations highlighted resonances and non-pistonic cone behavior which contribute to audible coloration in the midband- evidence of this is seen in the H1571's impedance plot.

For this type of system, the question arises, for a two way, what is a true performance upgrade within the physical format of dual 7" woofers that have to work cleanly up to about 3 kHz to manage an 1800 Hz 3rd order crossover? Design changes which better optimize the low end usually compromise efficiency and upper range behavior. Even the very expensive Illuminator mid woofers do not make a clear value proposition case, if a two way is chosen.

Generally, the next step of optimization beyond tweeter and crossover components would be adding an external subwoofer- this will essentially convert this to a three way system with a low crossover point to the woofer. IF this path is planned, then sticking with the 1 cu ft MTM enclosure in one of it's variants makes the most sense, unless you desire esthetic embellishments with more exotic wood finishes than PE offers.
                Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 09:42 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                DFAL
                Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

• wkhanna
                  • Jan 2006

So as not to disrupt or cause conflicting humors of space/time continuum within the force, a new thread entitled My Natalie P Journey Continues has been created & implemented as per instructions due to intercepted communications from Rebel Command.
                  Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 09:43 Tuesday. Reason: Update image location
                  _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Evil Twin
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by wkhanna
                    So as not to disrupt or cause conflicting humors of space/time continuum within the force, a new thread entitled My Natalie P Journey Continues has been created & implemented as per instructions due to intercepted communications from Rebel Command.
                    A very wise move- there is enough confusion here due to the ongoing influence of the Rebellion here, that we do not want to unduly distract the new DIY apprentices.
                    Last edited by theSven; 02 May 2023, 09:43 Tuesday. Reason: Update htguide url
                    DFAL
                    Dark Force Acoustic Labs

A wholly owned subsidiary of Palpatine Heavy Industries

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"