X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mayala
    • Mar 2006

make me a list of router bits.

So I see a lot of discussion and have even read about routers on this site. I've have the drivers, crossover parts, router (hitachi m12v), and everything to make the natalie p's but the router bits. I have even started to build the amp for the natalie p's (Simple killer amp by greg ball). So I'm short on money and can't afford to guess right now. Can someone make me a list of which bits i need to build the P's. thank you.
  • jonathanb3478
    • May 2006

I would recommend Whiteside bits from www.routerbits.com:

The minimum:

1. 1/2" (shank and cut diameter), 1.5" cut length, 3-flute flush trim bit for flush trimming cabinet edges, etc: Whiteside 2504 $22.00 (2" cutting length is 2505 @ $28.00)

2. 1/4" solid carbide upcut for routing circles all the way through MDF (in multiple passes, of course): Whiteside RU2100 $14.60

3. 1/2" (shank and cut diameter) straight bit with carbide boring point for driver recesses and other flat bottomed cuts that do not go all the way through: Whiteside 1067F $19.72

4. 1/2" shank 3/4" roundover for the baffle roundover and providing air clearance for some drivers on the back of the baffle: Whiteside 2010: $45.60

I am sure you would find other bit types/sizes a nice to have. I will not finish my project with out all 4, above. I have not yet purchased 3 or 4, but it will be a few months until I need them. I also picked up other bits. Some because of things I thought I would do but now will not, others for cosmetic touches like 1/8" roundovers on some cabinet edges.

Regarding Whiteside and their cost; I asked around on a few different woodworking forums in May regarding who makes the best router bits. Whiteside was ALWAYS at the top of everyone's list, either by themselves or in a tie with another brand. Also, no one EVER had anything bad to say about their quality. I will not own a piece of sharp metal spinning @ tens of thousands of RPM unless it is of the absolute best quality available.

Of course, what you will tolerate is your choice. :T
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
    -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• BobEllis
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

I consider the upcut a nice to have, not a necessity. I've used the same 1/2" straight bit or a 1/4" straight bit to do cutouts. The upcut types clean out a bit better, but you can get the job done. Otherwise I agree with Jonathan on types.

A bit more budget conscious could be sourcing the bits from MLCS.com (PMazz recommends, I haven't bought there yet) or even grizzly.com. The Grizzly bits probably won't cut as cleanly or last as long as whiteside, but they'll get the job done a few times.

Another bit I like to use is a 1/2" x 1" pattern bit. Like a flush cut bit with the bearing on top. This allows me to quickly cut panels a bit oversize then trim along a straightedge to get a nice clean straight edge on the panel when working alone. (My sawboard technique leaves something to be desired, my cuts always wander)

Comment

• jonathanb3478
        • May 2006

Nice point on the upcut.

I seperate the straight and upcut by diameter. That way, when cutting circles with a 1/4" upcut, I only have a wave of MDF dust, vs the tsunami of it I would get with a 1/2". Making the straight bit 1/2" in diameter lets it clear a wider path of material for recesses.

Really though, I guess the upcut is just a nice to have. I guess the bennefit of different diameter bits for cutouts vs receses is just too nice to have for me to not spend the $14.60 for the upcut and increase the diameter of the straight bit to 1/2".
        Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
        -Vernon Sanders Law

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

This question has been asked and answered multiple times. So this is one of those instances were using the search function will turn up a wealth of information..

For example ............

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• mayala
            • Mar 2006

thanks for the help and i did look through. but there were a lot of suggestions. I needed the minimum. I have bought a lot of parts and drivers to do projects but havent finished because the bits are the last thing i need.

the link doesnt work.
            Last edited by mayala; 09 October 2006, 16:34 Monday.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"