X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

James Cameron's "Avatar"

Might be interesting, 2009 is a long time from now.
    Last edited by Bob; 01 January 2008, 12:59 Tuesday.
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Most expensive? So is it going to star Kevin Costner and suck, like Waterworld?
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

James Cameron has made movies about water, The Abyss, Titanic. But, how you would put him with Costner or Waterworld is beyond me.

Will it suck? Yeah, just like Terminator, Aliens, True Lies, The Abyss, Titanic all did. :roll:

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hey Bob, what's up with the "performance capture" comments that Cameron has been throwing around? Is it supposed to be some super motion-capture thing? Is it a Matrix-like thing? Inquiring minds. . . .

Also, from the tidbits I'm finding it sounds like this is a heavily CGI-based "film" with lots and lots of CPU time and not a whole lot of acting/film time. Should I be worried or excited?

The cast has me curious and sort of intrigued: Sigourney Weaver, Wes Studi, C. C. H. Pounder, Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Peter Mensah, Joel David Moore, Laz Alonso (who??)

The storyline does have possibilities. :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

JUST KIDDING! Whenever I hear "most expensive movie ever", I always think of Waterworld, how at the time that was the most expensive movie ever made, by far, and it was supposed to be this great epic. Honestly, I didn't think it was horrible, but it was a far cry from what it was supposed to be.

Now... back to the actual topic and this movie. Of course, I've loved most of what Cameron has made. From the little that I've heard about this movie here and there, it sounds like this will be very interesting. It's REALLY interesting that he's trying out a new proprietary 3D system. We'll see how that comes out... I'm hopeful!
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Could be interesting. Will wait and see. Although there were parts of Titanic that made my jaw drop, there are parts of that film that can put you to sleep. Still, Cameron is a fellow Canuck and I have to admit that I like most of what he has done regardless.

Bob, you have one helluva interesting job.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Bob
              • Jul 2000

David,
              I don't know why he likes using the term "performance capture" so much. I guess it is because his camera system is capturing the performance of the action in real time 3D and not going through a secondary animation process.

It is not as much CGI as the last few Star Wars or movies like Sky Captain. About 60% real, 40% CGI. Personally, I'm pretty much over the whole cartoon thing and would like to see less CGI used in all films but, that's not going to happen.

I have mixed feelings about the script. But, then I turned down American Beauty and Titanic after reading the scripts so, what do I know.

Comment

• jimdorey
                • Jan 2008

From what I gather "performance capture" refers to the new ability to capture the actors "emotions" as their faces are being interfaced into the computer system as well as their body motions. This is the new element to everything - not just body motions, but EMOTIONS. Cameron calls the device that is used for this functionality as "The Volume".

Great feedback Bob!! I love all things Avatar and 3D.
                --
                Jim Dorey
                www.marketsaw.com
                3D Movies & Technology

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"