X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MICHAEL STRO
    • Oct 2003

James Audio Vs Svs Pb12 Ultra

doe's anyone have a james audio sub,and do you like it. a friend of mine was thinking of buying a james emb-1200. I have a svs pb12 ultra and I always rave about the sound. the salesman at the audio store said the james sub is the best for the money in it's class and he would put it up against any other sub in the same price range. well since both subs are around $2000,00 dollars U.S. we did a test in my house with both subs. the svs blew the james away in our opinion.there was no comparison.the salesman could not believe this.has anyone tested the james subs, your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

Well, I haven't heard a james sub, but I'm considering purchasing a SVS sub to accompany my 600 series b&ws.

Prior to purchasing rotel gear, I was using the crappy bass-boost functionality of my receiver, and now I miss the boom that my 603s put out prior to getting my rotel gear. Even with sub set to no and a low crossover on the fronts, I haven't been too thrilled with not having a subwoofer.

I'm probably going to go cheap on the sub and get whatever the entry level 10" model of the SVS box subs is, as I'm in a "small" nyc apartment, but I've heard good things about SVS all over the place. Glad to see that a fellow htguider is happy with their SVS.
    My gear

Comment

• Peter Marcks
      • Feb 2005

Dear Michael,

You should feel good about your system. Do not let a third party salesman convince you otherwise.

That said, it is not entirely equitable to compare a retail channel product to a factory direct product of similar price. The products in retail as a general rule must be priced higher, as they must account for dealer markup and costs of running a dealership. Primarily for this reason, many factory direct products are considered to be of higher value. Also, products in retail often have street prices or negotiated prices that differ significantly from manufacturer suggested retail prices, so this makes price point comparison especially difficult with factory direct models.

Another thing to look at is size. The James EMB-1200 is much smaller, with a hxwxd (in inches) of 15x15x18. Per given enclosure size, the James probably does fine.

Perhaps the most fundamental idea in subwoofer design is the idea of tradeoff. Ultimately, each consumer should choose the product that they feel compromises in the least number of areas that they consider to be important to them.

Cheers
      Peter Marcks
      Hsu Research

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"