X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford

Even though from the opening scene, you know how this film is going to end, I was hooked. First there is the outstanding cinematography, not only of the landscapes but of the various nuances the camera explores of each character. Then there is the acting. Outstanding doesn't even come close to describing it. Brad Pitt shows us a Jesse James we've never seen portrayed in film before. A moody, dangerous man with a charisma that captured the imagination of the common folk of the day. I have never seen Brad Pitt act this well. Absolutely astounding and spellbinding. And then there is Casey Affleck's Robert Ford, a twenty year old who is so obsessed with Jesse that today's society would call him a stalker, and that's exactly what he was, and Affleck brings a life to this character that no other actor ever has in the past. And there is Sam Shepard as Frank James, again, portrayed a way you've never seen the character portrayed before. In fact all the characters and members of the James gang bring a realism I have never seen before. You watch this film and you say to yourself, " this is how it was" .

Based on the Ron Hansen novel, the screenplay was written by Andrew Dominik and directed by him as well. And though it is 2 hours and forty minutes long ( I'm sure some may find it too slow, perhaps even boring for a western ) I felt the pace was necessary to tell the story and allow for indepth character development.

I watched it on Blu-ray. The colors were somewaht muted, in fact almost a sepiatone, but there were scenes, especially where patches of prairie grass peeked through a snowywhite landscape, where I felt like i was looking out my back window. The audio is nothing special until you hear the gunshots, because they sound exactly like gunshots: loud and frightening.

If you are expecting a classic bang bang western, forget it. This is a film about dangerous people in a dangerous time, and you will find yourself transported to the late 1800s and believing everything you see and hear.

A must own for any collector of the genere. See it. Own it. Hell, I will be watching it again before the week is out. :T
    My Homepage!
  • Jack Gilvey
    • Aug 2001

I have this in the mail from BB, looking forward to it.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'll be interested to see what you think about it, Jack.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
        • Aug 2001

Sorry...gonna try to watch it tonight if the baby cooperates.

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
          • Aug 2001

Wow...fantastic. I agree with everything you posted, George, especially the pacing...the movie needs to be as long as it is. Cinematography, narration, music, acting...it's all there. Watch this one when you have time to relax and enjoy.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Glad you enjoyed it, Jack. This one will get repeated viewings from me.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
              • Aug 2001

I only watched on my small display. By the time I jump into Blu-Ray, I'll have my projector set up again and will really be able to soak it in.

Comment

• saurabh
                • Feb 2005

Apart from the pace of this movie, I liked it all.
                Need is the mother of all Inventions.....I am needy

Comment

• Hdale85
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2006

Yeah I agree good movie but pace was definitely a bit slow and dragged on. The first time I watched it I was a bit tired and ended up falling asleep.

Comment

• littlesaint
                    • Jul 2007

Saw this last night and even after seeing There Will Be Blood and No Country, this is my favorite movie of the year. The pacing did demand your attention, but great storytelling, great acting. Casey Affleck is definitely the talent in the family, and Brad Pitt continues to amaze. Great performance by Garret Dillahunt as well.
                    Santino

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jan 2001

Yeah, Santino. The pace was necessary to tell the story and develop the characters properly. Not a bang bang wester, but like you, this will be one of my overall favorites.
                      My Homepage!

Comment

• greenhorn
                        • Feb 2007

It was wierd, we were at Best Buy and saw the Jesse James movie. We were going to Hollywood video next, so we made a mental note to rent it. Over at Hollywood, looked for it and didn't see it? Asked the fellow if they had it and he said they did, never had it? Hollywood is a major chain, has decent variety including some foreign, good quantity on new releases. Don't know if it was issue with Hollywood, the movie itself, it's distribution...?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by greenhorn
                          Asked the fellow if they had it and he said they did, never had it? Hollywood is a major chain, has decent variety including some foreign, good quantity on new releases. Don't know if it was issue with Hollywood, the movie itself, it's distribution...?
                          It was readily available here at Blockbuster and a bunch of independent outlets as well, so I don't suspect it was a distrib ution problem. I don't know about the Hollywood outlets. We had one here but it didn't last long.
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
                            Super Senior Member
                            • May 2005

Great review thanks George.

I'm going to get into films soon so I'm starting to collect reviews.

Nigel.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"