X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fizzking
    • Aug 2004

krell hts 7.1

Hey guys, first time caller long time listener.

I am just about to buy Krell hts 7.1. Anyone else here own. Thoughts would be appreciated.

Good listening folks.
    :E
  • fizzking
    • Aug 2004

hello

you are a sexyb lengend

Comment

• fizzking
      • Aug 2004

8O :M

Comment

• David Meek
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

Hey fizz, did you ever get the Krell? If so, how is it stacking up? Plusses, minuses, etc?

Unfortunately I'm not a Krell owner.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• fizzking
          • Aug 2004

Krell

I got the Krell hts 7.1 and have had nothing but problems. I have had 4 different units delivered and the newest one doesn't work properly either. :Z ops: :M :M :M I seem to get different problems every time.

It sounds fantastic when working but faults identify themselves and problems occur. It has been two months from the original purchase and I am thinking about getting the $$$ back and going elsewhere. Lexicon probably!!!!!!

I really like the idea of the hts but i DON'T THINK i CAn persist much longer, i have enough stress in my life without this.

Hope this has helped!

Comment

• jimmyp58
            Super Senior Member
            • Aug 2003

Sorry you're having all the problems with the Krell unit.

Don't limit yourself to Lexicon though (it is a great unit but there are many others out there...)

Arcam AV8, Anthem Statement D1, and Bryston SP 1.7 just to name a few.

Jim
            jpiscitello@ameritech.net

Comment

• LEVESQUE
              • Oct 2002

They just made a shoot-out in Sound & Vision between the Anthem AVM-30 ($3k), Parasound Halo C-1 ($6k) and Krell Showcase ($4k). They like those 3 pre/pro alot... But...

The Anthem AVM30 wins the shoot-out... It's only one review but a review from a mag that doesn't usually pick a favorite... So it's saying alot about Anthem...

So you should try the Anthem AVM30 and D1 also if you can. Jimmy gave you another good alternative also with the Bryston SP1.7. But 3 of my friends did sell their AV8 to change it for the Anthem D1. And they did try them side-by-side in-house before making the switch... Food for toughts...
              To spend more $$$ on electronics without first addressing room acoustics is fruitless IMO.

Comment

• jimmyp58
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Good call LEVESQUE....I totally forgot about the Parasound Halo. I didn't see the review you mention but it sounds interesting. As you know, Anthem's great stuff!

Comment

• will1066
                  • Aug 2003

I kept thinking it you must be referring to some other Sound & Vision magazine (from like South Africa or some other esoteric country) until I got home and saw my fresh copy. It's rare S&V reviews high-end audio equipment. S&V (specifically Daniel Kumin) picked the AVM-20 for its editor's choice awards a couple of years back.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Oct 2003

Fitzking,

May be a coincidence but my local Krell distrubutor mentioned that they had also had a lot of reliability issues with Krell processors etc's recently - have had to replace a number of units - some several times - leading to some frustrated customers... Seemed to be bad batch(s) which they were hoping to work through as they (Krell) had previously been good for the same models....

Good luck - Krell have a great reputation for their amps - it's a shame to see this - but everyone can have bad manufacturing runs from time to time - I guess it's down to how the company responds...

PS - Athough your profile doesn't say what country you are from - I am guessing you might be fromn Australia - which which may well mean you are getting some from the same batch(s) as my Krell person...

Geoff

Comment

• jimmyp58
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

...and if you are from Australia, scratch the Bryston from your list. Waayyy too expensive!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Jimmy58,

The "good news" is the list price in Australia for the Krell HTS 7.1 is $15,999 - making the Bryston SP1.7 a "walk away" bargain at $9,299 along with Silthord's new toy the Arcam AV8 which is "a steal" at $8,998!!!!

If it was me I'd be swapping - both have better reps for sound quality than the Krell processors anyway! (Krell do make great amplifiers though!!!!)

PS - Unless it has changed in the last few weeks the Anthem AVM series or D1 are not imported into Australia - the local Paradygn distributor has the rights but doesn't feel there is the demand!

Geoff

Comment

• will1066
                          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by LEVESQUE
                          They just made a shoot-out in Sound & Vision between the Anthem AVM-30 ($3k), Parasound Halo C-1 ($6k) and Krell Showcase ($4k). They like those 3 pre/pro alot... But...

The Anthem AVM30 wins the shoot-out... It's only one review but a review from a mag that doesn't usually pick a favorite... So it's saying alot about Anthem...

So you should try the Anthem AVM30 and D1 also if you can. Jimmy gave you another good alternative also with the Bryston SP1.7. But 3 of my friends did sell their AV8 to change it for the Anthem D1. And they did try them side-by-side in-house before making the switch... Food for toughts...

I read the review last night from my copy of S&V. Yes, David Ranada gave the AVM30 special mention out of the trio, but only because of its price-to-features/performance ratio (aka value). To me, he clearly preferred the Parasound mainly because of its immersive surround performance made possible by the extra output channels.

Comment

• DeepPurple23
                            • Dec 2004

I know that this thread has long been quite, but I did want to just throw in a side comment in that I was looking on Audiogon and notice an abnormally large amount of Krell hts' for resale. My first thought was it had some issues. This would seem to confirm.

The price you spent on the Krell would also allow to purchase the Bryston SP 1.7 and the SPV1 and give you the quality you're looking for.

By the way, what did you end up doing?

DeepPurple

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"