• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OttoMatic
    • Jan 2007

Seeking opinions on Krell, Benchmark, other DACs, other pre/pros

Hi there,

I'm currently using something like this

Source (FLAC, CD, vinyl)->Outlaw990->Sunfire Cinema Grand->Vandersteen 3A Sig

I'm using four channels of the Sunfire to biamp the Vandersteens, and using the Outlaw's DACs when listening to a digital source.

It's also set up for HT, but I'm interested in 2-ch at the moment.

So............

I'm disappointed with the Outlaw. I recently discovered that bypass mode doesn't work the way it's described. It implemented some type of HPF on the mains when they are set to "small", although the crossover point is NOT that as dictated in the setup. It seems to be about 100 Hz, regardless of the value set in the OSD. Anyway, that's a different issue; let me know if you want to hear more, and we can start up a thread elsewhere. So, I'm disappointed with the Outlaw.

Cut to the chase -- I'm looking for a pre/pro that will handle HT and 2-ch duties. I find the Krell HTS 2 and HTS 7.1 to be interesting. Are these actually identical with the difference being that the HTS 2 does 5.1, where the HTS 7.1 adds two more channels?

Opinions on sound quality? How about the DACs for 2-ch duties?

I recently inserted a Benchmark DAC-1 using "bypass" mode at the Outlaw. I found a reasonable improvement, especially in bass and soundstage. Anyone have a comparison between the DAC-1 and the Krell equipment?

I'm also considering the Channel Islands VDA-2. Anyone ever play with one of these?

Of course, I want to keep costs down as much as possible, so I think the best approach would be to buy a nice pre/pro such that I don't have to add in a DAC as well.

Some requirements for a pre/pro:
    * Bypass mode
    * 2 Zone Capability
    * Separate crossover points for each channel (or for each "type" of channel-- i.e., mains have a crossover point, center has a crossover point, rears have a crossover point, surrounds have a crossover point).
    * Channel trims accessible from the remote (esp sub)
    * 5.1 or 7.1 inputs

Some things that would be nice on a pre/pro:
    * Balanced input/output
    * Different crossover setup for different input (e.g, the "CD" input migh crossover at 40 Hz, and "DVD" input crosses at 80 Hz).
    * LFE channel trim
    * MM phono stage

Basically, I'm looking for a sweet 2-ch preamp that also does HT. I listen to varied music, from Ethel to Zombie.

Let me know what you guys think! Of course, I'll take opinions on whatever other products/brands that fall in these categories.

I think my budget will be about $3k max. I'm currently authorized for $2k, so would prefer to keep it around there. I have no problem with used equipment.

Thanks!
    -- Otto
    Misc Pics
  • LikeCoiledSteel
    • May 2004

Hi Otto,
    I have a few components similar to what you mentioned. I use the Outlaw 950 for HT use only, A Krell 250p preamp with HT bypass and a Bel Canto Dac that I have heard sounds just like the Benchmark. Using Gallo speakers and a Denon 2900 as a transport.

My question is, do you intend to use the Benchmark as a 2 channel pre, as it does have a volume control?

My Krell does not have a digital in so I cannot compare the dacs, but am happy with my Bel Canto. You can also use a tube buffer in line with a dac or just your preamp to round out the sound.
    Steel

Comment

• OttoMatic
      • Jan 2007

Hi Steel,

Yeah, sounds like the kind of thing I'm considering. I've thought about going to a 2-ch preamp w/ HT bypass, but I'm not sure what I want yet...

To answer your question, I wouldn't use the Benchmark as a preamp -- it doesn't have remote control, and I need something that has a bypass mode of some type (for HT). I don't think the Benchmark will do that type of pass through, but I could be wrong.

I liked the Benchmark, but should audition more before buying. It might be a while.

I guess what I'm thinking is that I'm frustrated with the Outlaw. I'm thinking of stepping up in processors. Ultimately, I'd like to NOT have to buy an external DAC. So I guess I'm hoping for a pre/pro that sounds as good as the Benchmark in 2-ch mode.
      -- Otto
      Misc Pics

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
        • May 2004

Hi Otto,
        The Outlaw is a good unit, it is just made more for HT use than 2 channel. I would still keep it in your chain unless you get another HT prepro. I find that HT prepro, when used only for movies, do not make that much difference as long as you have all the connections you want. That is why I still use the Outlaw 950. As far as a preamp sounding as good as the Benchmark, that would depend on the dacs in the unit and you will have to experiment a bit. I like the flexability of a seperate dac and use a Denon 2900 universal player. Good luck.
        Steel

Comment

• OttoMatic
          • Jan 2007

Yeah, I kind of feel that as well. You can kinda play a little more loose with the HT side of things. It's the 2-ch stuff that you have to be finicky with. And you're right -- I'll have to go out an experiment with listening to different DACs, whether they be in a pre/pro or stand-alone. It gets to be a daunting task when looking at processors -- it takes some experience with any device to understand all its quirks.
          -- Otto
          Misc Pics

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
            • May 2004

If one had a limitless budget, it would be easy. I get most of my stuff used at 1/3 price and it takes a while to put a system together this way but rewarding in the end. Make sure whatever "budget" items you get will work off of other gears' strengths. At the end of the day put your $ where you find it most important. Synergy is important also.
            Steel

Originally posted by OttoMatic
            Yeah, I kind of feel that as well. You can kinda play a little more loose with the HT side of things. It's the 2-ch stuff that you have to be finicky with. And you're right -- I'll have to go out an experiment with listening to different DACs, whether they be in a pre/pro or stand-alone. It gets to be a daunting task when looking at processors -- it takes some experience with any device to understand all its quirks.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"