X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audiofun
    • Feb 2005

B&W N802 with Krell Amp

Hello,
    I bought a pair of B&W N802 speakers recently and would like to get fellow htguide opinion on the following setup.

Speakers: B&W N802
    Surround Pre-Amp: KRELL HTS 5.1
    Amp: KRELL KAV 250a 2-Channels
    CD Player: KAV-250cd

I bought all the above equipment except the Amp. I would like to get your opinion if the amp is a good match or should I save up for a other amps.

Sound I like. Magical Vocal, Tight bass, Lots of Detail. Budget is $2000 max.

Also, there are a lot of posts recommending Classe 401, 301 but what about others: Sunfire Signature 600Watt Amp, Threshold S/5000e and etc ...

My ultimate goal is to get a all B&W/KRELL HT Setup. Any comments?

Thanks

Audio Fun
  • DanR
    • Dec 2004

You already seem to be a dedicated Krell fan, why stop now? You shouldn't have any problem getting a KAV-250a for $2k.
    :B It's all about the MUSIC!!!

Comment

• KEF
      • Aug 2004

A few weeks ago

I did a review where I listened to 802s vs 803Ds driven by a KAV-280p and a KAV-2250.

While this isn't the exact set-up you are asking about, I can tell you that the 250 watts that the 2250 put out, in combination with the 280p made the 802s (and 803Ds) sing wonderfully. Very, very powerful - and I listened to some extremely dynamic music (The Chemical Brothers- Push the Button) during the review.

I was really, really impressed by this combo. So much so in fact - I am buying a 2250 to add to my 280p and then adding 802s mid March. My current RB-1080 will be used on a future center channel -

While not Krell's top-of-the-line gear, it is still fantastic kit.

Regards,
      Keith

Comment

• Seeme
        • Dec 2004

If you really like Krell than the only amp that I have heard that made the 802's sound great where the KRELL Theater Amplifer Standard "TAS". http://www.krellonline.com/html/m_KAV_p_TAS.html

Here is a good review on it http://www.audiorevolution.com/equip...tas/index.html

I actually owned it and I loved the way it made the 802's sound especially in regards to the bass. The Krell's know how to make the bass sound good.

I ended up with the Classe CA-301 and I just recently upgraded that to the CA-3200 Delta series Classe. I like the overall sound of the Classe for the B&W's better than any other amp I have heard. Just my personal taste.

The Krell TAS bass did sound better though. :wink:

Comment

• audiofun
          • Feb 2005

Thanks KEF! kav 2250 is another choice I have in mind. However, the faceplate of kav 250a matches my Krell HTS and it looks nice! Is there any review for 2250 compare to older 250a?

Comment

• jteoh1
            • Jan 2005

I brought home the Sunfire Signature 600 for evaluation, it sounded too warm for my N802s and lacked musical details. The Signature 600 comes with "voltage" and "current" speaker output channel terminals for each Left and Right channels. I tried different speaker connection combinations - voltage connections sounded warm, current connections sounded thin and the bi-wire connections didn't seem to improve the sound reproduction in my opinion.

For your reference, I have tested several other amps around $2-$3K range. The Rotel RB-1090 (300wpc) seemed to lack the bass reponse at low volume, the detail was reasonable. I have also tried Bryston 4B SST (300wpc), it is too forward sounding with exaggerated midrange for my liking. In my opinion, the new Classe Delta 5200 (I know it's $5000) sounded too warm and lacks details.

My next round of audition will include Krell, McIntosh and Musical Fidelity amps. It may take a while but I will post my opinion.

Comment

• audiofun
              • Feb 2005

Hi,
              Thank you for your opinion on the Sunfire amp. Anyone evaluated the Threshold S/5000e amp? According to soundstage review, it is such a great bargain for $2k to $2.5k NEW. Soundstage was comparing this amp to solid-state amplifiers in the $5000 price range, including Aragon Palladium monoblocks, a Simaudio Moon W-5, a Plinius SA-100 Mk 3, Gamut D200 Mk 1 and Mk 2 amps, and an Ayre V-5x.

audio fun

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"