X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • musical physic
    • Aug 2008

M1980,

Welcome to the forum!

Nothing like a bit of tinkering to fix things. Enjoy the music!
    Speakers [Audio Physic Virgo V] Amps [Musical Fidelity 750k] Pre [Musical Fidelity A1 FBP] DAC [North Star Extremo] Transport [North Star M192] Power [Thor PS-10] Cables [Acoustic Revive] Rack [Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E12]

Comment

• Audio_ElF
      • Oct 2007

New Products ... Added today on Musical Fidelity's website.

M1 range - M1-DAC and M1-HPA (Headphone Amp). Look very much like a replacement for the X series.

M1-DAC is multiple input (AES / SPDIF Co-ax / TOSLink / USB) with single ended and balanced output. AES & SPDIF upto 24/192; TOSLink upto 24/96 and USB (unfortunately) limited to 16/48 so looks to be simple USB reciever chip. Front panel display of incoming sample rate with upsampling to 24/192.

M1-HPA is almost exactly the same as the outgoing X series headphone amp. Analogue plug USB input with twin headphone sockets, a "passthrough" set of RCA/Phono and also volume controlled single ended outputs so it can be used as a simple pre-amp.

Eloise

Comment

• Cambs12
        • Jul 2006

A5 Cd probs

Hi all,

Having just taken the plunge,i now have B&W 802ds,sound great with the Trivista integrated,and A5 cd,but now the cd player is playing up..
        Numerous discs it just does not recognise,saying 'no disc',or some,it recognises them and the amount of tracks/time,but when you press play it then says 'no disc' again.
        Should i go to MF(only couple of hours from here) and get a new laser fitted,or is there a way of cleaning the laser,does it sound likely that cleaning it will help?
        Also,if anyone has had a new laser fitted,how much did it cost?

Comment

• alebonau
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
          Hi all,

Having just taken the plunge,i now have B&W 802ds,sound great with the Trivista integrated,and A5 cd,but now the cd player is playing up..
          Numerous discs it just does not recognise,saying 'no disc',or some,it recognises them and the amount of tracks/time,but when you press play it then says 'no disc' again.
          Should i go to MF(only couple of hours from here) and get a new laser fitted,or is there a way of cleaning the laser,does it sound likely that cleaning it will help?
          Also,if anyone has had a new laser fitted,how much did it cost?
          ah thats a bugger cambs just go straight to mf, from the sounds of it the laser and yeah an easy fit, prob about $150 worth.

things like this do happen, my only month old denon 4010 blu-ray had to have its whole universal drive replaced ! fortunately on warranty but imagine at a lot more cost than the mf's cd laser !
          "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
            New Products ... Added today on Musical Fidelity's website.

M1 range - M1-DAC and M1-HPA (Headphone Amp). Look very much like a replacement for the X series.

M1-DAC is multiple input (AES / SPDIF Co-ax / TOSLink / USB) with single ended and balanced output. AES & SPDIF upto 24/192; TOSLink upto 24/96 and USB (unfortunately) limited to 16/48 so looks to be simple USB reciever chip. Front panel display of incoming sample rate with upsampling to 24/192.

M1-HPA is almost exactly the same as the outgoing X series headphone amp. Analogue plug USB input with twin headphone sockets, a "passthrough" set of RCA/Phono and also volume controlled single ended outputs so it can be used as a simple pre-amp.

Eloise
            eloise did notice these too, great to see they have put in a decent power supply in both.

they look like stylish pieces too. the headphone amp that also doubles as a class A pre a great idea I think. wonder if the headphone amp is based on valves as previous mf xcans have been

Comment

• Cambs12
              • Jul 2006

Thanks Al,will be at MF next week.. Looking to the future,i was looking at Classe/Mac stuff,to get a complete AV/2 Channel set up,but made the mistake of looking at the M6 series for the firt time on the net,that's good looking kit! Anyone on here heard the M6 Cd player?

Comment

• musical physic
                • Aug 2008

Cambs12,

I think HDBLU is planning to getting the M6 cd player
                Speakers [Audio Physic Virgo V] Amps [Musical Fidelity 750k] Pre [Musical Fidelity A1 FBP] DAC [North Star Extremo] Transport [North Star M192] Power [Thor PS-10] Cables [Acoustic Revive] Rack [Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E12]

Comment

• HDBLU
                  • Jul 2008

Originally posted by musical physic
                  Cambs12,

I think HDBLU is planning to getting the M6 cd player
                  I have decided not to get the M6CDP at the moment till they bring the price down for new line that should be about two years. for now am loving my V-DAC.
                  2ch Setup
                  Krix Neupohonix
                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                  Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                  MIT

Comment

• HDBLU
                    • Jul 2008

I found another review on the M6i but no M6CDP review yet.M6i Review
                    2ch Setup
                    Krix Neupohonix
                    Musical Fidelity M6i
                    Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                    MIT

Comment

• alebonau
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by HDBLU
                      I found another review on the M6i but no M6CDP review yet.M6i Review
                      yeah the m6 series following well from the very sucessfull a5 series that did well for mf for quite a few years. Lets hope the m6 hangs around for a while yet

Comment

• HDBLU
                        • Jul 2008

yah am hoping they hang around for at least 3-5 years but if they don't I should be able to get the M6CDP cheaper :B to make way for there new lines. I think the AMS and M1 to M6 line should be around for a long time because they all have the same designs look. I know the Titan power amplifier will be first to go because there only a few Unit on the planet.

Al did you like the M6i Review from experience in using the A5 series and going to the M6 the M6 has been better to me anyway, am happy I got my money back on the A5-5CDP problem after problems. The M6i is prefect
                        2ch Setup
                        Krix Neupohonix
                        Musical Fidelity M6i
                        Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                        MIT

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                          • Oct 2007

yah am hoping they hang around for at least 3-5 years but if they don't I should be able to get the M6CDP cheaper :B to make way for there new lines. I think the AMS and M1 to M6 line should be around for a long time because they all have the same designs look.
                          I know in interviews as part of reviews I've read Anthony Michelson has acknowledged that short lived ranges and inconsistencies with uber powers "supercharger" amps alongside A1 Class-A range has given Miusical Fidelity a bad reputation recently. The implication being that the new ranges will be around for a while.

I know the Titan power amplifier will be first to go because there only a few Unit on the planet
                          I'm sure when it was first launched the Titan power amp was meant to be limited run of 50 units.

Eloise

Comment

• 2gumby2
                            • Jun 2010

I just ordered a V-DAC last week and I'm looking forward to hear what it will do. I've read a lot of good reviews on this thing.

Comment

• HDBLU
                              • Jul 2008

Originally posted by 2gumby2
                              I just ordered a V-DAC last week and I'm looking forward to hear what it will do. I've read a lot of good reviews on this thing.

You will love the V-DAC I bought one about 1 months ago and love it it's so good that it come very close to My Ex A5-5CDP and that saying a lot.
                              2ch Setup
                              Krix Neupohonix
                              Musical Fidelity M6i
                              Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                              MIT

Comment

• 2gumby2
                                • Jun 2010

You will love the V-DAC I bought one about 1 months ago and love it it's so good that it come very close to My Ex A5-5CDP and that saying a lot.
                                I read a review where the reviewer indicated that the V-DAC was better than his OPPO 980H. I own a 980H and think that it sounds great so if the V-DAC bests the 980, I'll be happy.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                  • Jul 2008

It will kill your oppo, your sound will open up you will have so much details in the sound that is truly amazing for this little Dac.
                                  2ch Setup
                                  Krix Neupohonix
                                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                  MIT

Comment

• alebonau
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Oct 2005

I read a review where the reviewer indicated that the V-DAC was better than his OPPO 980H. I own a 980H and think that it sounds great so if the V-DAC bests the 980, I'll be happy.
                                    Depends what you plug it into as well. If just plugging into an avr likely not be a huge gain with the avr being lost common denominator. If plugging into a 2ch analog amp likely get more gains.

Comment

• eyalp
                                      • Apr 2010

I understand from u that it sounds better than the usb terminal in the M6i.

Comment

• 2gumby2
                                        • Jun 2010

I found a couple of V-DAC owners that purchased after market power supplies such as the ones in the links I've provided below. These owners seemed to think that the power supplies made a significant positive difference. Any opinions? I think MF sells an upgraded power supply for the V-DAC at around $200.

Comment

• 2gumby2
                                          • Jun 2010

I found a couple of V-DAC owners that purchased after market power supplies such as the ones in the links I've provided below. These owners seemed to think that the power supplies made a significant positive difference. Any opinions? I think MF sells an upgraded power supply for the V-DAC at around $200.

http://www.amazon.com/Pyramid-PS3KX-...=2LJ8QNW5ZC947
                                          I'm not sure the hyperlinks loaded properly. The brands and models are:
                                          Pyramid PS-3KX and Samlex America RPS1203

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                            • May 2008

Just listed my Mufi KW DM25 Trans/DAC in the pawn section...
                                            Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• MrJazz
                                              • Jun 2010

Has anyone used the M3i yet? I know the M6i has ben recieved rather well but was wondering how it compares with half the power rating.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by MrJazz
                                                Has anyone used the M3i yet? I know the M6i has ben recieved rather well but was wondering how it compares with half the power rating.

I have not seen any reviews yet for the M3i but if you fine some reviews on the older model A3-5 it would give you same idea what you would be getting. Or you could buy a second hand A5 or A5-5 for a good price. the reason for me getting the M6i is that I keep getting problems with the A series models. but am loving my M6i a work of art so the M3i should be good for the Price point.

If I fine any review I will post them here for you.

There bit of talk on here alsoM3i DTV
                                                2ch Setup
                                                Krix Neupohonix
                                                Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                MIT

Comment

• eyalp
                                                  • Apr 2010

Originally posted by MrJazz
                                                  Heard it. Very good. For my speakers-bought the M6i. Know of someone who took the M3i for his b&w 805s speakers and he loves it.

Comment

• eyalp
                                                    • Apr 2010

Originally posted by eyalp
                                                    hi all, have b&w 704 + roksan caspian m1 cdp. Consider to buy the new MF m6i int. Can buy also the a5.5 in second hand. Does the m6i worth the extra money? Hdblu , noticed u have one. Did u have the a5.5 before? Can u compare?
                                                    What do u think of the combinations of both amps with the 704s?
                                                    Thanks for your replies..
                                                    Finally bought the M6i three weeks ago. What a lovely amp to my taste. Have improvements in many dimensions: Control over speakers, details at low volume, texture in the mid, clear and smooth highs, seperation between instruments and stereo picture .And, above all that (or under.. ) - a great bass. This amp produces wonderfull bass, that I did'nt know my speakers can produce.
                                                    Last edited by eyalp; 26 June 2010, 01:24 Saturday.

Comment

• MrJazz
                                                      • Jun 2010

Anyone else have any feedback on the M6i or M3i seeing it has been over 10 days since the last post?

Comment

• MrJazz
                                                        • Jun 2010

Has anyone tried the new V-PSU with their V-Dac? I saw it listed at AA for 249. Thought that price was a little high seeing it is almost the price of the Dac itself and was wondering if there is any improvement with the sound.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                          • Jul 2008

I would not think the V-PSU would make a big difference at all I have the V-DAC and the sound is amazing But I am using the PF40 belkin power cleaner so for me I would not think the V-PSU would make any difference at all for me anyway. I think it a waste of money I would just get the new M1 DAC and that has a detected power unit inside.
                                                          2ch Setup
                                                          Krix Neupohonix
                                                          Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                          Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                          MIT

Comment

• MrJazz
                                                            • Jun 2010

I would not think the V-PSU would make a big difference at all I have the V-DAC and the sound is amazing But I am using the PF40 belkin power cleaner so for me I would not think the V-PSU would make any difference at all for me anyway. I think it a waste of money I would just get the new M1 DAC and that has a detected power unit inside.
                                                            Thanks HDBLU, but I already have the V-Dac and that is why I was asking. Do you think the M1 will be a big improvement over the V-Dac because of it's own Power Supply?

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                              • Jul 2008

I would not know how good the m1 is but if you have the V-DAC I would just use that, I am loving my one And when the Price comes down of the M6CDP I will buy that to replace my V-DAC I already have the M6i and love it.
                                                              2ch Setup
                                                              Krix Neupohonix
                                                              Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                              Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                              MIT

Comment

• KahunaCanuck
                                                                • May 2008

Did you guys see this?

New MF AMP

That is insane! :E
                                                                Kahuna's Theatre

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                                                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
                                                                  Did you guys see this?

New MF AMP

That is insane! :E
                                                                  Save on the heating bill...

Also on www.musicalfidelity.co.uk now.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2008

That thing looks awesome.
                                                                    2ch Setup
                                                                    Krix Neupohonix
                                                                    Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                    Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                    MIT

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2008

Just found this Video of the M6CDP if anyone is interested in buying it.
                                                                      2ch Setup
                                                                      Krix Neupohonix
                                                                      Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                      Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                      MIT

Comment

• 2gumby2
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2010

Well, after reading reviews on-line for upgrading the standard wallwart power supply for the V-DAC, I purchased a Pyramid PS-3KX regulated power supply from Amazon. I bought a power cord and tip from Radio Shack to connect the power supply to the DAC. Seems to be a bit fuller and smoother sound. Purely subjective of course. I like the result and recommend the upgrade.

Comment

• swordfish
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2010

Hi Guys, I am considering purchasing the new M3i integrated. Anyone heard it? What are your impressions?

I'm going to get either the M3i or the Cambridge Audio Azur 840W. I would be interested to know which you recommend. I do most of my listening at low levels and I suspect the 200W rating of the 840W is more than I need but it does have its advantages.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to try before I buy so any advice would be great.

Greg.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                            • 992

Originally posted by swordfish
                                                                            Hi Guys, I am considering purchasing the new M3i integrated. Anyone heard it? What are your impressions?

I'm going to get either the M3i or the Cambridge Audio Azur 840W. I would be interested to know which you recommend. I do most of my listening at low levels and I suspect the 200W rating of the 840W is more than I need but it does have its advantages.

Unfortunately I am not in a position to try before I buy so any advice would be great.

Greg.
                                                                            greg the m3i is pretty much an unknown and newly released that probably not a lot of opinion out there. it seems a bit down on power compared to say the a3.5 before it which was in the 150wpc.

the cambridge 840w is grunty sure but people have mixed feelings towards it.

with two units with a it of an unknown quantity good luck choosing ! ..

ps do consider some s]2nd hand mf's as well. I can heartedly recommend either an a3.5, a308 or the later a5 or a5.5 can also go older the a3 and a3.2 were a cracker of an integrated as well !

Comment

• swordfish
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2010
                                                                              • 4

Thanks for your reply. You outlined my thoughts exactly. It is always a tough call to choose between lower end high tier brands and high end low tier brands. Especially a new unproven product.

I worry that I might pay a lot for the MF name, but then maybe the quality of the better MF products really does filter down to the m3i...maybe it is cheap and nasty...who knows? Tough decision.

I was thinking one advantage of the 840w is that it would probably stay mostly in class a for the listening levels I am contemplating, which is a good thing. But then again there are a lot more output devices that can be mismatched too. There's some good parts inside that thing though - the maximum power draw is 2.4kW so it must have a pretty serious power supply, and the XD class idea sounds promising.

Anyway, I think 70W is enough for my purposes as I currently run a "gainclone" with only about 50W per channel and the performance is exemplary.

Anyway, just thinking out loud so sorry for the ramble. Thanks again for your input. I will keep an eye out for a secondhand MF product too.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Oct 2007
                                                                                • 271

Review alert:

There is a review of the M3i in this months HiFi Choice magazine (UK) ... online version here ... http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-710226/review

Comment

• Mick725
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Sep 2010
                                                                                  • 12

In a factory visit on the Dutch website Hifi.nl , Antony Michaelson is talking about a new Musical Fidelity product that they are currently developing.

It is a streaming device which will be named "M1 Clic".

It uses the same casing as the "M1 Dac" and it can handle most popular digital formats like FLAC, Ogg Vorbis, MP3 and WAV.

Here are pictures of the prototype, which has a full-color display (no touch screen).

Mister Michaelson does not want to take any risks so it may take a while before the M1 Clic will be in the shops.

Comment

• psychotron
                                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                                    • Oct 2010
                                                                                    • 2

Hi
                                                                                    I've had an F16 humongous power amp for the last 8 years or so but looking to swap to an Intergrated - preferably a Tri Vista if one come up. Used it with a Meridian Pre and sounds great but since moving takes up too much room.
                                                                                    I only ran in on Class A once and got so hot the capacitors started oozing so only used A-B since, too be honest I couldn't really tell the difference, my ears are not what they used to be. Any ideas if I'll have a large drop in sound quality ?

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Oct 2007
                                                                                      • 271

Also coming soon...

Musical Fidelity are reportedly producing a USB to SPDIF converter called V-Link at RMAF next week. With async USB technology - just shame it's not incorporated into the M1DAC.

Eloise

Comment

• Mick725
                                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                                        • Sep 2010
                                                                                        • 12

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
                                                                                        Also coming soon...

Musical Fidelity are reportedly producing a USB to SPDIF converter called V-Link at RMAF next week. With async USB technology - just shame it's not incorporated into the M1DAC.

Eloise
                                                                                        Here it is, shown at RMAF 2010.

Musical Fidelity's V-Link ($169) is a 24-bit/96kHz-compatible asynchronous USB-to-S/PDIF converter.

Comment

• Audio_ElF
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Oct 2007
                                                                                          • 271

Mick - is it connected via optical or co-ax?

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2008
                                                                                            • 311

That a USB Cable that on the V-Link.
                                                                                            2ch Setup
                                                                                            Krix Neupohonix
                                                                                            Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                                            Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                                            MIT

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"