Well I guess it's true... a USB cable can make a difference.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Well I guess it's true... a USB cable can make a difference.

This is the third upgrade I've done. My original cable was just a cheap USB cable I got from who knows where and it worked sounded good and no complaints.

This all going to my Musical Fidelity V-Link 192.

Then I upgraded my usb cable to a Wireworld Ultraviolet cable and was impressed with the differences, better sonics, soundstage and precision. Not sure how this happened, but after the first song, I was hooked. That cable lasted almost a year.

The next itch I got, through reading some forums about USB cable discussions, everyone admitted that the first cable to go to was the WireWorld Starlight. So I found the funds for that. After about 15 seconds of hearing things I never heard in recordings (I checked by playing the actual CD in my CDP/DAC and testing the Ultraviolet again) the cable was here to stay. WKHanna bought my old Vlink (eventually upgrading to the 192) and Ultraviolet cable. So I was happy it was going to a good place.

So now this brings me to yesterday and now today. I, through a good deal, was able to get the WireWorld Silver Starlight cable. Now there shouldn't be about any room to grow....but holy crap... this cable, while I wouldn't say it enhances everything (even though that's technically what it would be), but there's a smoothness and separation of instruments and sounds that I just never had. I've gone back and forth with the Starlight about 20 times now trying to prove to myself that the Starlight cable is just as good. You know, this way I could return the Silver Starlight. But the realism of instruments is just not available on the Starlight Cable as it is on the Silver Starlight.

The build quality of the Silver Starlight I have to say is top notch as well. It comes in a nice protective molded plastic and soft interior zippered carrying case. Not that it matters, but for the price, it's a nice bonus.

For now, I'm still trying to wrap my head around how this cable is making music sound better when the signal is all digital.... I can understand the theory behind WireWorld's cables in general... separate the power from the data, less interference. I get that... but how can changing seemingly minor things result in noticeable changes.

Now I'm not saying the jumps have been light years over one another...but the changes are also not at the level of, "I think I heard a change right there." It's a noticeable difference.

On the other side of things, the digital coax cable from the V-Link 192 to my DAC.... I've tried many different cables and not ONE has made any noticeable difference. So why on the USB side of things does it?!

Interesting to me!

Anyways, I just thought I'd post this up letting people know that if you're running a standard USB cable to your DAC/USB to SPDIF converter... that there can in deed be a difference to be had!
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Isn't it annoying when this kind of stuff happens, even when you think there likely shouldn't be any difference, and your bank account (much less wife, if you have one) is telling you that you really can't afford the difference?

Cleaning up the transmission path and lowering EMI into digital inputs is always a good thing- it often just comes to how affordable it is...

Now, I shouldn't mention this... but some day... you should see if you can't get your setup working with primarily AES/EBU, maybe Firewire as the main interface to a PC or music server or Mac. Relatively reasonable price AES/EBU cables can work very well (think Apogee Wyde Eye, from Sweetwater, 3M) but I do like my standard Cardas AES/EBU 2.5 meter cable, and am giving serious thought to CARDAS Clear AES/EBU. I have been a reluctant cable junky, but every time I visit my friend in Munich and we swap cables around in his system, just on the digital end, with the right program there is a difference I don't really want to pay for, but I want to have. Frustrating. So I'm always searching for how close I can get to the best stuff, without paying anything like Nordost prices, for example. Obviously, system balance is a concern.

But then, I've got another AES/EBU cable on order so I can setup a Genesis digital time lens permanently in my bedroom system between an iPad and Cambridge audio digital dock and a Berkeley Alpha DAC. You'd never believe an iPad could sound like that, but then that digital signal is really being babied and cleaned up afterwards...
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

FWIW, I'm going through a growth spurt of my portable audio, and just ordered a Ray Samuels Audio portable amp. With that, he talked me in to ordering a high-end LOD cable to use the Apple output on my iPod to the 1/8" input on the amp. Expecting good thing coming... (but it's cost me big $$$)
      CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
      - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
        Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by PewterTA
        ...... WKHanna bought my old Vlink (eventually upgrading to the 192) and Ultraviolet cable
        Don't you just love hand-me-downs!!

So Dan, I think you need to look at a new power conditioner now, don't you?
        _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
        ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Yeah maybe some PSAudio stuff or something huh Bill, now if only I could find someone to buy my ol' APC unit?!!?

I will most likely move away from USB when the time comes for a new DAC and depending on what input that has.... that'll be the key to when I switch away from USB all together I think. Problem is, I want a new pre and possibly amp set. UGH... Never ends.

It still facinates me though that the digital signal can be changed that much during transmission that basically a different way of wrapping the wires and shielding can cause for a better signal to occur. It make me wonder if there's that many requests to resend that happens on the digital side of things. I mean once it comes through, it's a 1 or a 0... and it blows my mind that there could such differences.

But I don't judge... well not too much... and I listen with my ears and if they hear a difference...well it's there. WKhanna has backed me up enough on what I hear to know I'm just not imagining things. ha ha.
          -Dan

Comment

• JonMarsh
            Mad Max Moderator
            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
            FWIW, I'm going through a growth spurt of my portable audio, and just ordered a Ray Samuels Audio portable amp. With that, he talked me in to ordering a high-end LOD cable to use the Apple output on my iPod to the 1/8" input on the amp. Expecting good thing coming... (but it's cost me big $$$)
            I wish someday someone would make a nice digital out to outboard analog conversion for portables; the Cambridge digital out dock for the iPad works nice, now you just have to connect that to a good portable DAC (a term which is sill an oxymoron, to a degree, though I haven't heard the Dragonfly yet.
            the AudioWorx
            Natalie P
            M8ta
            Modula Neo DCC
            Modula MT XE
            Modula Xtreme
            Isiris
            Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
            Minerva Monitor
            Calliope
            Ardent D

In Development...
            Obi-Wan
            Modula PWB
            Calliope CC Supreme
            Natalie P Ultra
            Natalie P Supreme
            Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Got me some new toys. And these are not all-encompassing. More coming...

CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Looks like you'll have a fun weekend!
                the AudioWorx
                Natalie P
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Obi-Wan
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• PewterTA
                  • Nov 2004

Ha ha, that's too cool! I love the head-fi bands... that's classic! Such a simple and easy thing to get good quality sound!
                  -Dan

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I just got some more ALO Audio bands in the mail today too. Maybe they'll sound even better than the Head-Fi.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

I've tested many USB cables and came to some conclusions. I've noticed that when a cable is constructed correctly , it performs exactly like another one that meets the same spec's.
                      When cable is not built to spec , many differences can be heard.

Comment

• impala454
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2007

We've got pretty expensive USB cables running through our robot at NASA (well every cable is expensive, heh). Will have to find out where we get em.
                        -Chuck

Comment

• Finleyville
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Chris D
                          Got me some new toys. And these are not all-encompassing. More coming...
                          Nice looking setup. I agree that those Head-Fi bands are great. I have been a member over there since Jude set up the whole thing.

Could you please, please write a little comparison of the sound between the iPod sound and the Emmeline? I travel a lot, but haven't found an amp that is worth buying that doubles/triples the mass of my 5th gen iPod.
                          BE ALERT! The world needs more lerts.

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Yeah, I'll post a full write-up review after I try it out for a while. Right now I'm still in the break-in period, and I've got it off in the corner running tracks non-stop. But already, it's enhancing my headphone sound, opening it up, making it both crisper with better response and deeper with stronger bass. I went with Ray Samuel's recommendation for the best portable amp for my needs, which resulted in the SR-71A. But it's one of the biggest he makes of this type. (i.e. non-balanced or DAC) He makes several that are smaller. Even still, I don't find it really that big. You can see it's pretty much the same size as my iPod Classic. You can easily put it in a coat pocket or bag, but too big for a pants pocket.

I'd really like to see somebody make a portable amp specifically made for the iPod Classic, that would mold right up to the case and compact the cabling, so it would become one integrated unit. Most portable rig pictures I see look something just like mine, with two pieces rubber banded together. Somewhat unsightly.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"