X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Audio_ElF
    • Oct 2007

Originally posted by HDBLU
    That a USB Cable that on the V-Link.
    Well it's USB from computer to V-Link; but how is the V-Link connected to the M1DAC - optical or coax SPDIF?

Eloise

Comment

• Mick725
      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Audio_ElF
      Mick - is it connected via optical or co-ax?
      Hi Eloise,

Sorry for my delayed response, but I do not know how it is connected on the picture, but my best guess is that a coaxial and optical outputs are both possible with the V-Link.

There is very little information is available at the moment.

Comment

• wettou
        Ultra Senior Member
        • May 2006

Originally posted by KahunaCanuck
        Did you guys see this?

New MF AMP

That is insane! :E
        That is the craziest thing I have ever seen, just imagine a 9.4 channel system with nine of these :B
        Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• HDBLU
          • Jul 2008

Are you talking about the Asian :B That amplifier is awesome 100w in Class A that is Crazy.
          2ch Setup
          Krix Neupohonix
          Musical Fidelity M6i
          Musical Fidelity M6CDP
          Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
          MIT

Comment

• delfincek
            • Nov 2009

Hello,

I just have one question. Does anybody maybe know the exact model of the laser that is installed in Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista CD player? I'm asking this just to be on a safe side and order a spare piece to be on a safe side.
            Thanks for help,
            D.

Comment

• HDBLU
              • Jul 2008

Found some Reviews on the M6PRX and Pre looks like they have dropped the choke-regulation that was in the A5Pre. enjoy.

M6 M6 M6 M6
              2ch Setup
              Krix Neupohonix
              Musical Fidelity M6i
              Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
              MIT

Comment

• HDBLU
                • Jul 2008

Looks like MF has yet another integrated Amplifier out called the M6500i Looks very interesting M6500i
                2ch Setup
                Krix Neupohonix
                Musical Fidelity M6i
                Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                MIT

Comment

• Mick725
                  • Sep 2010

Here is some M6 500 info:

Musical Fidelity established the genre of super integrated amplifiers and then went on to establish a niche for
                  very high powered integrated amplifiers (kW500 etc.). We sold many thousands of our high powered
                  integrateds because they were attractive to a wide range of audiophiles. In the last year and a half we have
                  been concentrating on the re-launch of Musical Fidelity’s complete range. Now, finally(!), we are bringing
                  back the high power integrated. The M6 500 is a big integrated amplifier. It produces 500wpc with extremely
                  low wide band distortion, outstanding linearity, very low noise and ruler flat frequency response. The M6 500
                  is extremely stable in to loudspeaker loading and, because of its high power and current is exceptionally
                  linear into a vast range of loudspeakers.
                  The M6 500 is similar looking to an AMS35i but about 32mm higher. It weighs in at 33kg. It’s a big beast! The
                  heatsinks are vertically finned AMS35i style. The input sockets are the same type as used on the AMS
                  series.
                  A new innovation is our precision volume control system with digital readout. The M6 500 volume control
                  system guarantees perfect channel matching and high precision setting. The digital readout has a scale from
                  0-110.
                  The audiophile can set his listening level precisely. An important feature!
                  The M6 500 has 5 inputs and a tape monitor loop. It also has home theatre bypass, fixed and variable
                  preamp outputs.
                  Sonically the M6 500 is wonderful. It has a limitless feeling of power and space and a huge control over the
                  loudspeakers. It’s as if it is The Borg were saying to the loudspeakers... “resistance is futile”... The speakers
                  will do as the M6 500 says. It has that level of grip and control.
                  The M6 500 circuitry is based on the Titan circuit. It is virtually identical to that used in the AMS50. Therefore,
                  not surprisingly, it has the same sense of fast dynamics, no overhang after transients, ultra clean sound but
                  with no harshness. Listening to the M6 500 you have no idea how powerful it is because it is so clean. It just
                  delivers the transients and well, that’s it, job done.
                  You might be able to tell that I am rather (extremely) enthusiastic about the M6 500. It is a joy for me to get
                  back to this genre of amplifiers which, together, we all pioneered. Now for the price. I believe the original
                  series of super integrateds were particularly successful because of their combination of incredible
                  performance and competitive pricing. The original Nu-Vistas, Tri-Vistas etc. were £4,000 UK retail. We have
                  bent over backwards to ensure it offers exceptional value and have reduced our profit margin so that the M6
                  500 will meet that 8 year old pricepoint of £4,000. The M6 500 UK retail will be £3,999.

Last edited by Mick725; 10 January 2011, 05:11 Monday.

Comment

• new2hifi
                    • Feb 2011

Tri-Vista 300 vs. KW-500

Hi:

This could have already been discussed but I need help from all members in differentiating and selecting between Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300 and KW-500 amplifiers.

In summer of 2004 I heard Focal-JMlab Electra 926 with Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 3D CD player and a Musical Fidelity Integrated. I found new instruments in favorite songs (resolutions?) and there was enormous sense of speed along with musicality.

What do you think, which integrated from Musical Fidelity will give me such performance, Tri-Vista 300 or KW-500? What is their sound signature?

Also can we compare Tri-Vista 21 DAC to Nu-Vista 3D CD player or they are different animals?

Kindly post your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks

Comment

• alebonau
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by new2hifi
                      Hi:

This could have already been discussed but I need help from all members in differentiating and selecting between Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300 and KW-500 amplifiers.

In summer of 2004 I heard Focal-JMlab Electra 926 with Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista 3D CD player and a Musical Fidelity Integrated. I found new instruments in favorite songs (resolutions?) and there was enormous sense of speed along with musicality.

What do you think, which integrated from Musical Fidelity will give me such performance, Tri-Vista 300 or KW-500? What is their sound signature?

Also can we compare Tri-Vista 21 DAC to Nu-Vista 3D CD player or they are different animals?

Kindly post your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks
                      Hi having heard the 926 and the subsequent 1027be, I would suggest the a5 integrated. This would do a wonderful job with this speaker I have even heard with my very own divas and a lovely integrated it is. For source the a5cd is an ideal match

Re trivista and nu vista, they are different animals
                      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Mick725
                        • Sep 2010

Musical Fidelity have increased their range of M1 series products with the introduction of the M1 CDT Transport.

The M1 range is looking pretty nice, just add a power amplifier and your good to go.

Comment

• ksquare
                          • Mar 2011

Hi Everyone,

i am so glad to accidently bump into this mf thread. i have been a mf fan for a long time.

I have been using the 3.2 pre/power combo for more than 6 years now with the a308cd and am thinking of upgrading. i happen to have an opportunity to purchase a second hand a1008 integrated and the a1008cd.

as i have no prior experience on the 1008s, i wonder if any of you could provide any guidance if they will provide a worthwhile upgrade to my existing equipment.

Also, i see that sometimes the a1008cd is quoted with as a1008.2 cd. I presume the latter is an updated version? anyone can share what the difference from the original one is?

Comment

• HDBLU
                            • Jul 2008

Originally posted by ksquare
                            Hi Everyone,

i am so glad to accidently bump into this mf thread. i have been a mf fan for a long time.

I have been using the 3.2 pre/power combo for more than 6 years now with the a308cd and am thinking of upgrading. i happen to have an opportunity to purchase a second hand a1008 integrated and the a1008cd.

as i have no prior experience on the 1008s, i wonder if any of you could provide any guidance if they will provide a worthwhile upgrade to my existing equipment.

Also, i see that sometimes the a1008cd is quoted with as a1008.2 cd. I presume the latter is an updated version? anyone can share what the difference from the original one is?

The A1008 Combo are Excellent and yes it is a big upgrade from what you had. The A1008CD Player is one of the very Best CDP's from MF The Only Player will top it is the AMSCD and that pricey.

Both Unit Are EC88-based tube stages so should sound very sweet. Am Using the M6CDP and very happy with that.

I say go ahead and get it you will love it. I will try to get same review for you.
                            2ch Setup
                            Krix Neupohonix
                            Musical Fidelity M6i
                            Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                            MIT

Comment

• ksquare
                              • Mar 2011

The A1008 Combo are Excellent and yes it is a big upgrade from what you had. The A1008CD Player is one of the very Best CDP's from MF The Only Player will top it is the AMSCD and that pricey.

Both Unit Are EC88-based tube stages so should sound very sweet. Am Using the M6CDP and very happy with that.

I say go ahead and get it you will love it. I will try to get same review for you.
                              Thanks much for the feedback, hdblu.

Do you know anything about the 1008 vs 1008.2 CD difference?

Comment

• HDBLU
                                • Jul 2008

I have not heard of the 1008.2 might be updated in the software area. but I have read a lot about the A1008 that there main player to match the Amplifier. just did a quick search on the 1008.2 but nothing came up.
                                2ch Setup
                                Krix Neupohonix
                                Musical Fidelity M6i
                                Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                MIT

Comment

• ksquare
                                  • Mar 2011

I have not heard of the 1008.2 might be updated in the software area. but I have read a lot about the A1008 that there main player to match the Amplifier. just did a quick search on the 1008.2 but nothing came up.
                                  Thanks hdblu,

I finally found the difference. the updated version is called the 1008 cd pro. it doesn't have the external cd clamp mechanism. But instead is housed internally, very much like the a1cdpro.

i found this from a russian website.

Comment

• ksquare
                                    • Mar 2011

Having given it further consideration, i have decided to take the plunge and go ahead with the purchase of the a1008 combo.

now comes my next task = cables and speakers.

I currently use the entry level siltech cables and the old spendor s5e speakers. i guess it would only do justice to my new set by at least upgrading the speakers. I wonder if anyone can provide some recommendations to complement the 1008s. i have read this whole thread and BW 800 series do get mentioned alot.

beside the BWs, any other speakers that will go well with the 1008s? i am thinking of the spendor A6 but i think i read in some other websites that spendors dont really match mf equipment. Any ideas?

the proacs (d18) or focal (1027be)?

FYI, it is not as easy to do a demo with my new equipment here in HK.

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Having given it further consideration, i have decided to take the plunge and go ahead with the purchase of the a1008 combo.

now comes my next task = cables and speakers.

I currently use the entry level siltech cables and the old spendor s5e speakers. i guess it would only do justice to my new set by at least upgrading the speakers. I wonder if anyone can provide some recommendations to complement the 1008s. i have read this whole thread and BW 800 series do get mentioned alot.

beside the BWs, any other speakers that will go well with the 1008s? i am thinking of the spendor A6 but i think i read in some other websites that spendors dont really match mf equipment. Any ideas?

the proacs (d18) or focal (1027be)?

FYI, it is not as easy to do a demo with my new equipment here in HK.
                                      the focals go very well with musical fidelity. and the 1027be a beautiful choice

Comment

• ksquare
                                        • Mar 2011

Originally posted by alebonau
                                        the focals go very well with musical fidelity. and the 1027be a beautiful choice
                                        Thanks for the comment. i am searching on a few fronts. used 1027 be or proac d18 or spendor a6.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                          • Jul 2008

Thanks hdblu,

I finally found the difference. the updated version is called the 1008 cd pro. it doesn't have the external cd clamp mechanism. But instead is housed internally, very much like the a1cdpro.

i found this from a russian website.
                                          That good, I was thinking it was some think simple. So have you decided to go ahead or still trying to decide about your speakers.
                                          2ch Setup
                                          Krix Neupohonix
                                          Musical Fidelity M6i
                                          Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                          MIT

Comment

• ksquare
                                            • Mar 2011

That good, I was thinking it was some think simple. So have you decided to go ahead or still trying to decide about your speakers.
                                            I am still thinking about the speakers. I just heard the 1028be at a showroom. Beautiful speakers with a great sound. Heavy price tag though.

If I cant find any used 1027be, I'll most likely go with the spendor A6. Reason is that its alot cheaper than proac's D18. Also, i have a matching spendor center speaker and sub-woofer as well.

I probably have a week to think about it since i still have my old spendor S5e speaker with me but likely be gone in a week.

Comment

• ksquare
                                              • Mar 2011

Finally managed to setup my mf 1008 combo with my existing spendor s5e.

Even with this speaker, i noticed a significant difference. Its like the whole living room has opened up. Much bigger n deeper soundstage. Understandably, the sound is warmer than b4.

Beginning to enjoy my music again!

Look forward to even better improvements with changing the speakers soon

Comment

• alebonau
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Oct 2005

Finally managed to setup my mf 1008 combo with my existing spendor s5e.

Even with this speaker, i noticed a significant difference. Its like the whole living room has opened up. Much bigger n deeper soundstage. Understandably, the sound is warmer than b4.

Beginning to enjoy my music again!

Look forward to even better improvements with changing the speakers soon
                                                if your enjoying it and its a combination thats working for you. why is it do you want to change the speakers ?

Comment

• ksquare
                                                  • Mar 2011

if your enjoying it and its a combination thats working for you. why is it do you want to change the speakers ?
                                                  I heard the difference between the s5e and the s6e when i bought the former. the difference was significant but didnt have sufficient funds back then.

Now that i can afford it, especially since there is now a successor in the A6 form, i ask myself why not.

Same reason for upgrading my mf 3.2 pre/power to my current 1008s

Comment

• MFFanaticism
                                                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Mick725
                                                    Musical Fidelity have increased their range of M1 series products with the introduction of the M1 CDT Transport.

The M1 range is looking pretty nice, just add a power amplifier and your good to go.

I just tracked this company down from the watermark on the pictures as the CDT looks like it will be the perfect match for the M1 DAC, however looking online they are the only people currently offering prices and have a release date! Are they the only company to be able to sell this exclusively or what? Does anyone know? For the price they say it will be it's definately tempting...

Audio Sanctuary are specialists for premium headphones, earphones, spare parts, custom cables, and portable audio solutions. Huge selection, global shipping, large demo showroom in SW London.

Regards

Shaun

Comment

• ASPERO
                                                      • Apr 2011

Hello fans of Musical Fidelity!
                                                      Wanted to present my modest system:

Musical Fidelity kW-DM25
                                                      Musical Fidelity kW-DM25DAC
                                                      Musical Fidelity kW750
                                                      Musical Fidelity KWLPRE

Dynaudio Confidence 5 & Jamo R909

HT Onkyo TX-SR875E
                                                      Dynaudio Contour Sub
                                                      Dynaudio Focus 200C
                                                      Piega AS-3 (Surr.)

Cable
                                                      Chord Chord Anthem 2 (2RCA-2RCA)
                                                      Cardas Golden Reference
                                                      NBS Omega II
                                                      Kimber kable Hero (2RCA-2RCA)
                                                      Isotek Premium
                                                      NBS Monitor - 0

Difficult to find a partner, the legendary Confidence 5, but with the Musical Fidelity problem has been resolved.
                                                      A very interesting forum. The Russian club, hi-fi | hi-end do not like MF ...

P.S. sorry for poor English
                                                      P.S. From Russia with Love ..... Answer any questions

Comment

• alebonau
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Oct 2005

very nice MF gear and system aspero ! welcome to the forum

Comment

• ASPERO
                                                          • Apr 2011

very nice MF gear and system aspero ! welcome to the forum
                                                          Thank you!

Read the forum topic "Club Musical Fidelity", 35 pages, most systems MF + B&W.

There was a question about the Lynx AES16 + kW DM25 D / A -
                                                          "Does anyone know what sample rates the DM25 DAC will accept? I think that the dual link from the transport is 24/96 per channel, but is this compatible with other devices or is it proprietary to the MF combo? I was thinking I could use a Lynx AES16 (or other alternatives) to give dual-link 24/192 but not sure if it will work with the DM25 - has anyone tried? "

Confirmed. Works great. :T

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                            • Nov 2004

Do I count to be in the club...?!!?

I just bought a Musical Fidelity V-Link....
                                                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                                            -Dan

Comment

• jlee
                                                              • Aug 2004

Where to send X-P200 amp for service in Canada or USA

I have had a pair of X-P200 amplifiers since 2006. Both have run flawlessly, until recently. One of them produces a buzzing noise, similar to when one has a ground loop problem. I ran them in monoblock mode, but for the purposes of trying to narrow down the problem, I hooked both up identically in regular stereo mode. The first one works flawlessly, but the problematic X-P200 still makes the noise when connected identically to the first.

Kevro no longer services Musical Fidelity so I'm not sure where I can send my unit for repair in the US or Canada. If somebody can send me contact info for their north american service center, I'd appreciate that.

J.

Comment

• jlee
                                                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by jlee
                                                                I have had a pair of X-P200 amplifiers since 2006. Both have run flawlessly, until recently. One of them produces a buzzing noise, similar to when one has a ground loop problem. I ran them in monoblock mode, but for the purposes of trying to narrow down the problem, I hooked both up identically in regular stereo mode. The first one works flawlessly, but the problematic X-P200 still makes the noise when connected identically to the first.

Kevro no longer services Musical Fidelity so I'm not sure where I can send my unit for repair in the US or Canada. If somebody can send me contact info for their north american service center, I'd appreciate that.

J.
                                                                Anybody? lol

Comment

• longjohns56
                                                                  • May 2011

I found this on the web and live in Sweden. Going to audition the M6 500i soon.

Walker Electronic Solutions in Matthews, NC
                                                                  Rick is the North American service center for Musical Fidelity, a very, very sharp audio tech with decades of experience, and easy to work with. Not the least inexpensive tech I've dealt with, but the expert work will be done right and warrantied. Certainly worth a call: 704-904-2890.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2008

Let as know what you think of the 500i I have the small brother the M6i and very much like it.
                                                                    2ch Setup
                                                                    Krix Neupohonix
                                                                    Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                    Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                    MIT

Comment

• jlee
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2004

Thanks guys!

Comment

• bunnybob
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Oct 2010

Hi all,
                                                                        Hey ksquare, I'm sure you'll be blown away with your choice of source and amp.
                                                                        I've had my second hand A1008 cdp pro and A1008 Int since Christmas 2010. I decided to mate them with Paradigm Studio 100's for the following reasons.
                                                                        - price.
                                                                        - efficiency.
                                                                        - neutral sound.
                                                                        - presence.
                                                                        I listen mainly to blues, jazz, rock, funk so I wanted both energy and subtlety. Sarah Vaughan, Eva Cassidy, Dianna Krall are just as impressive as Zeppelin, Deep Purple. I'm even getting to like Johnny Cash. And Claasical.
                                                                        I now understand lyrics, here things in favorite cds that I didn't before but most importantly, I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to music.
                                                                        I use my pay tv box as a source, with a "good" i.c. feeding to the on board dac. The resulting sound is amazing.
                                                                        I researched my purchases extensively. One of the more valuable resources was this forum - so a big "hats off" to you all.
                                                                        Warm regards
                                                                        Bunnybob

Comment

• elhefe
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • May 2011

Hi all,

Greetings from Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

Was browsing around the web looking for an update of the CLiC product and came across this website.

Been an MF fan since 1999 with the purchase of XA1 integrated amp and a pair of XA50s monoblocks. Have been using this MF biamplification pair to drive various speakers ranging from TDL3SE, Heybrook Optima, Mission M31i and EPOS M12.2 and finally in Dec 2010, I bought a pair of ProAc D18 to replace my EPOS.

Eventhough the XA1 and XA50 can easily drive the D18, the amps are ageing hence I upgraded to M6i and now waiting for the matching M6 PRX.

My other MF kit includes the X-DAC that I use with Wadia 170i ipod dock, M1 DAC that I use with my laptop, MF XRAY V3 CDP and Sony MD player, XCAN V3 driving a pair of Alessandro Grado MS1 headphones and also XPSU and X10 V3.

I have placed a booking for the CLiC. I heard its only going to be launched in July.
                                                                          HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i amp and M6 DAC, M1s (PWR,CDT, CLiC, ViNL), SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HeadFi: Beyerdynamic T1 and Oppo HA-1

HT: Samsung 65" Curve LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU, Yamaha RX-V2067, PMC twenty 23 front and Centre, Wharfedale WH2, SVS Sub, with full QED cabling

Comment

• ksquare
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Mar 2011
                                                                            • 18

Originally posted by bunnybob
                                                                            Hi all,
                                                                            Hey ksquare, I'm sure you'll be blown away with your choice of source and amp.
                                                                            I've had my second hand A1008 cdp pro and A1008 Int since Christmas 2010. I decided to mate them with Paradigm Studio 100's for the following reasons.
                                                                            - price.
                                                                            - efficiency.
                                                                            - neutral sound.
                                                                            - presence.
                                                                            I listen mainly to blues, jazz, rock, funk so I wanted both energy and subtlety. Sarah Vaughan, Eva Cassidy, Dianna Krall are just as impressive as Zeppelin, Deep Purple. I'm even getting to like Johnny Cash. And Claasical.
                                                                            I now understand lyrics, here things in favorite cds that I didn't before but most importantly, I get a lot of enjoyment out of listening to music.
                                                                            I use my pay tv box as a source, with a "good" i.c. feeding to the on board dac. The resulting sound is amazing.
                                                                            I researched my purchases extensively. One of the more valuable resources was this forum - so a big "hats off" to you all.
                                                                            Warm regards
                                                                            Bunnybob
                                                                            after listening to my a1008 combo for a while now, it is certainly a worthwhile upgrade from my 3.2 pre/pow 308 cd. before i bought the 1008, i listened to the naim 200/202 combo. not at all impressed with them compared to the 1008. lack of clarity and somehow seem to be muddled when compared against the 1008. the naim also seem to be a bit too smooth for my liking.

however, i have not compared the 308 pre/pow to the 1008. wonder what the difference will be.

speaker wise, i have decided to try something different and got the proac d18. no regrets in this dept as well.

Comment

• ignatz22
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2011
                                                                              • 2

How Can I Get My KW25 DAC To Play 24/96 Files ?

My 24/96 files won't play thru my Musical Fidelity KW25 DAC.
                                                                              I'm using a Halide Bridge USB / S/PDIF converter and my interface is J RIVER MC15.
                                                                              J River plays the file, but the dac recognize the Halide Bridge output.
                                                                              Am I correct in assuming that this dac is unable to to accept a 24/96 file ?
                                                                              Would another USB / S/PDIF adapter solve the problem ?
                                                                              If so, why ?

Thanks To All.

Comment

• DelRay
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2004
                                                                                • 369

Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has compared the MF A5 power amp to the Bryston 4B-ST. I currently have the A5 pre amp paired with the Bryston. Power wise they're about the same. Would the MF be a little more laid back? Would their be much of a difference at all?

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2008
                                                                                  • 311

Originally posted by DelRay
                                                                                  Hey guys. I was wondering if anyone has compared the MF A5 power amp to the Bryston 4B-ST. I currently have the A5 pre amp paired with the Bryston. Power wise they're about the same. Would the MF be a little more laid back? Would their be much of a difference at all?
                                                                                  I have never heard any bryston gear so can not comment But I have the M6i MF I fine the MF to sound warmer (NOT BRIGHT in anyway) and sound so sweet and the bass is very tight, when playing some Jazz Albums on SACD there so mush air in the saxophone I just love it.
                                                                                  2ch Setup
                                                                                  Krix Neupohonix
                                                                                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                                  MIT

Comment

• DelRay
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jun 2004
                                                                                    • 369

I'm looking for something that's not bright. I'm thinking about doing a A/B comparision between the two.

Comment

• DelRay
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2004
                                                                                      • 369

Well, I replaced the Bryston with the A5. So far I'm pleased with the MF. I'll be doing more A/B testing between the two. As of now I'm leaning towards the A5. Right now I'm listening to alot of vinyl. I'll be checking out some sacd/dvd-a material too.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2008
                                                                                        • 311

That good you are liking the A5 top pre-amp I use the M6i and am amazed at that. Post some Pictures
                                                                                        2ch Setup
                                                                                        Krix Neupohonix
                                                                                        Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                                        Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                                        MIT

Comment

• elhefe
                                                                                          Member
                                                                                          • May 2011
                                                                                          • 37

CLiC Anyone?

My prayers have been answered. A unit that can stream flawlessly, provide international radio station, sufficient digital inputs including iPod digital input, USB digital input and can play my digital music straigh from hard drive without turning on a PC. ALL in ONE unit.

Got mine yesterday. Superb piece of kit. Review will follow.

Ok 24 hrs review:
                                                                                          So I got a message from distributor that the unit has arrived to Malaysian shores on Monday 11th July. So collected the unit the next day. Only 6 units were brought in the first batch which I have booked mine since last year

Came home and immediately set it up into my system. Of course, being my normal lazy self, didnt bother with the manual reading.

What's included?
                                                                                          1. The unit itself
                                                                                          2. 3 pin plug power cable
                                                                                          3. Wifi antenna with extension cable
                                                                                          4. Network cable
                                                                                          5. Manual and warranty card
                                                                                          6. Personalised letter from Anthony Michaelson

Built
                                                                                          The unit is similar to the other M series. Although putting it side by side with M1 DAC, it looks slightly higher. I love the black granite finishing. Adds a sense of class.

Its a compact unit which weighs next to nothing. Very light but sturdily built.

The screen, to me is just the right size where contents can be easily read through.

The power button is of soft touch nature. Press it and the unit will be on standby mode for 10 seconds before it boots up.

Remote: Aaaaahhh this is a bit sad. The remote, although feature packed, feels a bit el cheapo. It reminds me to one of my old VCD player 15 years back that cost 20 quid. The unit can only be operated by remote control, so dont loose it.

Whats the buzz all about?

This unit is an ALL IN ONE digital (7 inputs) and analogue (3 inputs) preamp, music streamer and internet radio. Once connected to the network (wireless or wired), it can detect your stored digital music (and pics) and details will come out on the screen. You can then choose and control your music using the remote.

Inputs:
                                                                                          1. 2 coax input
                                                                                          2. 1 optical input
                                                                                          3. 1 USB input
                                                                                          4. 1 USB/iPod interface input
                                                                                          5. 3 RCA analogue input

For output:

1. 1 pair RCA variable pre out. Can connect direct to power amp and use the CLiC to control volume

2. 1 pair of RCA fixed out. Can connect to any input on your integrated amp/another pre amp.

How does it fair with the claim above?

Connectivity - Superb. I tested the whole day with wireless connectivity. My wifi route is downstairs and this unit is in my hifi room upstairs. It can detect the signal easily. Only 2 bars on the signal icon though. Keying in my wifi password was easy. The remote comes with mobile phone-like keys. Repetitive pressing on button to select the alphabet.number you want. I only had to set it up once and voila, within 5 seconds, its fully connected to my network.

First, I scrolled to media server on the CLiC and found my NAS with over 8000 digital files. All grouped to usual Tracks, Artist, Albums, Genres etc. Next I booted up my laptop, and again within a few seconds after the laptop has been booted up, the CLiC detected it.
                                                                                          For my iMac however, it could not as I have not installed a Twonky Media.

Next I tried the connectivity for internet radio. It automatic goes to Malaysia directory and found 6 stations. Tested all of them within a span of 30 mins and no signal dropout at all. However, these are not the most famous local radio stations. So tried with London and US radio stations. Again, no issues of drop out signals at all.

How about connectivity to iPod/iPhone?

So I took one of my Apple docks and connected the Apple provided USB/iPod cable to the CLiC. The USB/iPod connection is not interchangable with front USB connection.

But, it could not detect my iPhone 4 or iPhone 3GS. A note came out on my iPhone saying 'Could not operate 2 connections' or something like that. Ahhhhh this is when I started to open up the manual hehehehe.

Sooooo, I cannot connect it to a dock. Thats what went wrong. It can only be connected directly to the iPhone/iPod. reason being, the dock also have its own remote. Thats why the note came out cannot operate 2 connections.

Once I connected the iPhone directly to CLiC, it detected all my the songs on it and also the playlist within seconds. Its just then a matter of choosing the music you want using the remote.

On the screen, the song, album and artist is shown together with and also any picture/art cover attached to the song. It can be easily readable from about 3 to 4 feet away.

How about the other features?

1. I tested one of the coax connection using my Wadia 170i transport. It definitely produced a different sound compared to my previous connection via MF X-DAC that does not upsample. The sound is also different compared to the direct digital connection to iPhone. Definitely more uplifiting and airy I would say.

2. Also connected my BRIK Audio BT stage to one of the analogue connection. It does inject a sense warm and mellowness to the music.

The listening session

I connected the CLiC unit to my M6i using the fixed output with Cambridge Audio IC.

Now that everything has been set up, its time to play the music.

I first tried the digital files I have on my NAS which most of them are ripped to either 320kbps MP3s at 48kHz or Apple Lossles. I also have a few FLAC files.

This is where the CLiC really excels. These digital files which previously was played via Airport Express fed into my old but trustworthy MF X-DAC, sound very very alive. The presence of tracks played was definitely more involving.

Changing tracks manually in shuffle mode will take about a 2 seconds pause. But if you just leave the unit to shuffle on its own, there is no gap in between changing tracks.

It can also handle all the types of files listed above with no issues.

I am not comparing these with CD player SQ as it is different approach to music. I love the idea of accessing all my digital files with ease and without the need of turning on the PC/laptop.

One improvement that I would suggest is for the unit to show the rate of the signal coming through, similar to the M1 DAC.

I dont have much comparison to other similar units. The ones I can think of are Bryston and Olive. I have listened to both. IMHO the CLiC provides the most flexibility, multiple format adaptiveness and its feature packed. For that price, I didnt think twice to pre-ordered it since last year.

Now, where is that credit card of mine?
                                                                                          Last edited by elhefe; 14 July 2011, 22:25 Thursday.
                                                                                          HiFi: ClearAudio Concept TT, Musical Fidelity M6i amp and M6 DAC, M1s (PWR,CDT, CLiC, ViNL), SONY MDSJA20ES MDP, ProAc D18 with full Siltech cabling.

HeadFi: Beyerdynamic T1 and Oppo HA-1

HT: Samsung 65" Curve LED, OPPO BDP 95-EU, Yamaha RX-V2067, PMC twenty 23 front and Centre, Wharfedale WH2, SVS Sub, with full QED cabling

Comment

• unkhman
                                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                                            • Sep 2007
                                                                                            • 28

new phono preamp!

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"