X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Yasvanth
    • Jun 2006

Hello Al,

The reason I ask this is, I checked the rear of my amps and I have matching serial numbers and just wondered whether you also have checked the serial numbers on your amplifiers to see if they are matching.

Yas

Comment

• alebonau
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Yasvanth
      Hello Al,

The reason I ask this is, I checked the rear of my amps and I have matching serial numbers and just wondered whether you also have checked the serial numbers on your amplifiers to see if they are matching.

Yas
      I checked yas, different numbers for me. they are sold as separate items here in oz, not as a pair so think chances of getting the same numbers probably the same as winning lotto.

your a lucky one no doubt. yours was a review pair werent they ? perhaps mf ferried a special review pair to the magazine for the review ?. probably adds a bit to their value as a pairing :T
      "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Yasvanth
        • Jun 2006

Hi AL

Yes they were. I didn't know having matching serial numbers for both amps
        was that rare.

Thanks
        Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
          • Jul 2006

Power leads...

Hi folks,

I have just bought an Isotek Elite power cord.I originally thought i would use it for my amp,but the top pin on the Trivista goes the other way,so i will continue with the one supplied by M/F.Instead i am using it with my A5 Cd player.
          First impressions are positive,it seems to have given the top end a bit more air,and maybe a bit more definition to bass notes.I was slightly sceptical before moving into this area,but hearing the difference with my system late at night,to during the day,i believe it is worthwhile looking into mains conditioning and filtering,the lead is the first step before adding a mains conditining unit(probably Isotek also).
          I took on board Alebonau's thoughts with regard to synergy with the M/F gear,the Isotek does indeed seem compatible.

Comment

• citroen
            • Dec 2006

mf x-t 100

i own an x-t 100 and i think it's better value than an mf 3.5, because the upgrade in future from the poweramp, the sound is very good of both , but the x-t sound is something special, just listening for yourself, and trust your ears!!!!!!
            my systeem is mf x-t 100 , rega p5 with psu and creek obh 15 phono- and epos m12.2 speakers and dab radio from Argon this is a little unit from denmark and the sound from this little radio is very good its imported here in holland by nad distrubitor ,

Comment

• Yasvanth
              • Jun 2006

Are the MF A5 range of amplifiers too smooth?

Hello all Musical Fidelity owners,

You may not like what I have to say about MF amplifiers but here goes.
              I used to own a Arcam A85 and the matching P85 Pwr amp which was OK, but lacked that big powerful enveloping sound that most other amps also lack.I upgraded to the fantastic MF A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amps. The sound is definetly huge, powerful and refined but I'm afraid they just lack that crystaline clarity that the Arcam amps had.
              I'm a bit shocked really because when I purchased the Arcam amps new they set me back £1300 inc a phono stage and I have now spent about twice as much on the MF amps so you expect top class high end sound with all sorts of music. I am still using my Arcam CD72T CD Player and Kef Reference 1:2 Speakers.

I may have gone down this road before but do other MF amp owners also think that the new range of amps do sound a bit refined and smooth, especially like me if you like listening to the latest R'n'B music?

If anybody can suggest what is wrong with my system I am all open to suggestions from fellow MF amp owners or hifi nuts.

Thanks for looking.
              Yas
              Last edited by Yasvanth; 08 March 2007, 07:12 Thursday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• Cambs12
                • Jul 2006

Hi Yas,

I think you need either to change your amplification to NAIM audio,or get a better pair of speakers for better synergy with your A5 gear.Either Monitor Audio(should help with the clarity issue),or say B&W 703,804s etc.
                My new Isotek Elite mains cable has lifted the top end of my A5 cd slightly,so also worth a look.
                I listen to a wide range of music,including Mary J Blige and other R&B etc,and my system,once warmed up,are certainly not lacking in the clarity dept.I reckon the A5 amps would be of a similar type also.
                Another Cd player worth trying is Coplands 823,lyngdorfs new one,and even maybe the Quad at a thousand UKP.With a change of cd and speakers,you could tailor their sound to your amps,i.e. lift one aspect of your sound requirements through that component,with the M/F amps providing the effortless drive and soundstage.

Time to get down you local naim dealer with a few discs under your arm!

Comment

• Yasvanth
                  • Jun 2006

Hi Cambs12,

Do you think the MA GS20's or GS60's will be a suitable match?
                  But if I was to keep my speakers and only change my CD player, would you also say that the Arcam FMJ range of CD players would be worth demoeing?

Thanks
                  Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
                    • Jul 2006

Hi Yas,

Not sure of the model numbers,but i listened to a 2 grand pair of Monitor Audio floorstanders whilst auditioning cd players last year after my Linn Karik 3 packed up..Naim i believe do a pair of floorstanders at about this price,Ariva i think its called or something like.Or a used pair of SL2s,or NBLs,again by naim.B&W 803ds would be great with your amps also!

Also,the B&W 703/704 would certainly add a bit of extra clarity,with a livelier top end from the Kefs.

I don't have much experience with the new Arcam stuff,it is well designed certainly,but my feelings is that they are more of an all-round machine,and i believe you need something a bit more dynamic and lively,hence the recommendation to listen to the Naim cd5i,and cd 5x if you can justify the extra expense.i would maybe borrow one from your nearest dealer,and see how this integrates into your system first.Then,with your original cd player,borrow or find a dealer with your amps,and do the speaker trial above.
                    After this,do both the cd and speakers,tho i appreciate this is a big outlay in one go.I reckon doing the above will give you your answers.Quick question,what speaker cable and interconnects are you using? i ask this because a change to Nordost range could add too the clarity and top end.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                      • Jun 2006

Hi

When i first bought the A5cr amplifiers through Ebay I was using the Van Den Hul D102mk111 but it sounded terrible, way too smooth, slow and boomy in the midrange. So I purchased 2 pairs of Nordost Red Dawn interconnects also through Ebay. One pair is connected between my A5 amplifiers and the other between the CD player and that definetly made the midrange tighter, faster and more exciting. I am also using my original Van Den Hul Cleartrack Biamped Spk cable 8mx2 which I got free when I purchased my Arcam CDP, Amps and Kef Ref Spks.
                      Do you think there will be big difference if I change my spk cable also to Nordost ?

Thanks
                      Yas
                      Last edited by Yasvanth; 08 March 2007, 15:08 Thursday. Reason: Missed out a few letters

Comment

• Yasvanth
                        • Jun 2006

Hi Alebonau,

The other thing is the outputs on the rear of the A5cr Pwr Amp. As you may have noticed there are three sets of outputs, L+R Output, A Output and B Output. The manual doesn't really explain whether you can connect your A5cr Pre to the L+R Outputs, but I do know they are used if you are planning to connect 2 A5 Pwr amps together in Biamped mode. I have connected my A5 Pre to the A Outputs of the A5 Pwr amp. How have you done so?

Cheers
                        Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
                          • Jul 2006

Nordost

Hi Yas,

I think it may well be worth trying Nordost speaker cable also,might enhance the clarity and top end again,but i would try and borrow a few samples from a good dealer so you can try it at home.
                          My Isotek Elite mains cable has lifted the top end of the A5 cd player slightly,a worthwhile upgrade at a reasonable cost.

Comment

• alebonau
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Oct 2005

Hi Alebonau,

The other thing is the outputs on the rear of the A5cr Pwr Amp. As you may have noticed there are three sets of outputs, L+R Output, A Output and B Output. The manual doesn't really explain whether you can connect your A5cr Pre to the L+R Outputs, but I do know they are used if you are planning to connect 2 A5 Pwr amps together in Biamped mode. I have connected my A5 Pre to the A Outputs of the A5 Pwr amp. How have you done so?

Cheers
                            Yas
                            Yas

there is only one ouput on the A5cr. there are infact two sets of inputs A & B. there is a switch on the front of the power amp that selects which input A or B that you might want to feed to the power amp. this a really handy feature on the power amp and quite unique in my opinion to MF amps. I have the L&$ pre-outs on the a5 pre supplying the A input on the power amp.

with the A& B inputs basically means you can run two 2ch pre-amps into the power amp and switch between them with the switch on the front panel of the power amp, which is handy if you were doing an A-B comparison between two 2ch pre 's. alternatively you can use the two inputs to integrate the power amp into a ht sytem and comes in handy if you were not using a pre like the a5cr pre that has a ht bypass. with the A-B switch basically you can feed L&R output from the ht av pre-pro/avrs pre-outs into the A input and the L&R pre-outs from yoru 2ch pre to the other B input on the power amp and then switch between them with a flick of the switch.

there is only one L&R output on the power amp, this is for bi-amping, tri-amping with daisy chaining power amps. alternatively you can use the L&R out fro mthe power amp to feed the inputs to supply signal for a sub as I'm doing.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                              • Jun 2006

Thanks Al,

Another question, like Cambs12 have you ever thought of purchasing a top quality power cable and plugging it into your A5cr Pwr and boosting the sound quality instead of using the cheapo one that MF gave?

I am using one on my A5cr Pwr amp, and I don't even have to turn up the volume to 8'o clock on the knob its already loud and I can actually feel the full power of music which I never had with my crappy Arcam A85 and P85's.

I must say that these are very special amplifiers indeed, but I don't think I am getting the full potential out of them due to my speakers, but I have never regretted buying them.

P.S Try cables from Nordost, VDH, Russ Andrews, Merlin,Chord etc.

Happy Listening

Yas

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                • Jun 2006

DO THE MF A5cr PRE & PWR AMPS SOUND A BIT SMOOTH?

Hi everbody,

I may have brought this subject up before, but even after owning these fabulous powerful amps, I still feel these amps do sound smooth and refined compared to, shall we say the top of the range amps from Arcam(FMJ).

What do other music lovers and hifi enthusiasts think of them?
                                Do you own or have you had the privilege of listening to them or even the A5 Integrated?

Let me hear your views.
                                Yas
                                Last edited by Yasvanth; 16 March 2007, 14:55 Friday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• nektarios
                                  • Mar 2006

Hi Yasvanth.

This is a copy-paste of what I have written in my first post for you: it's a good thing we write our impressions down otherwise I probably wouldn't remember.

"If the dial on A5CR starts at 7:00 o'clock, with the GR20s, around only 8:00 o'clock the sound was big enveloping and utterly real. However, the bass felt a bit sluggish. By increasing the volume to 9:00 and 10:00 the bass becomes fast - it comes and goes unnounced but you really feel it and that is something I had heard only on the KW500 in SevenOaks. 10:00 o clock I think the sound was 85 db on my radioshack pressure level (sitting 2.6m away from the speakers). I tried 12:00 and even 1 o'clock - easily 95db but my ears didn't complain which means the sound is very balanced! Amazing!"

Maybe the GR20s were not run in, or not a good match. The low level frequencies were more evident and although this would give a nice effect in one type of music it was very bad with others.

However, when I tried the combo with the new GS10 standmounts the sound was perfect - if such a thing exists.

If you increase the volume to 9 or 10 o'clock, does the bass sound any different?

Comment

• nektarios
                                    • Mar 2006

Hey guys,

remember when I was describing my experience with X-T100 with X-Ray V8 and found the bass too strong? I had done some tests and this strong bass would be evident on most speakers except the KEF IQ5s? Although that was a positive thing, when I changed to a different music the IQ5s sounded completely anaemic and boring.

Well guess what. What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision have the IQ5s in a review against the low entry Monitor Audio Bronze BR2 series. They spend a couple of paragraphs trying to justify why the decided to drop a star from their award winning IQ5s and found the monitor audios very refined and more exciting, etc.

The guys in SevenOaks could not understand why the magazine had given 5 stars to IQ5s - I was not believing them until I heard the speakers and I was not really blown away the least.

So what I want to say is, reviews are reviews and good to read and get an idea, but at the end of the day only our ears can tell what is good or bad, or expressed a bit better, what sound we "die" for.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                      • Jun 2006

Hi Nektarious,

You are quite right, the volume knob does begin at 7' o clock on the A5 Pre.
                                      So as soon as I have turned the knob up to 8 it is already very loud, this is due to using the system in 5m x 6m room and also using speakers with a sensitivity of 89db.
                                      Before I purchased my amps through Ebay, I did first audition them at Sevenoaks Hifi in Bromley. The amps were used with a Arcam CD73 and Kef XQ5. The speakers were worth £1500 so you'll think that this would be a perfect match with amplifiers, but no.
                                      The Kef XQ5 were not, the midrange sounded to anaemic, slow, boomy whatever you may want to call it, especially with smooth recordings like R'n'B or Soul music.
                                      But with with thin or bright recordings it was fine. Now I don't know whether the fault is with the matching of the Kef's to MF. THe system was used in quite a large room with a concrete floor tiled over with wooden floorboards and the speakers were about 4 ft away from the back wall so really there shouldn't be a problem. Now I really don't know whether it was the cables or a mismatch of the midrange CD player that was used. The cables used were the Chord Chorus which do have a bit of a bassy sound and the Chord Rumour 4 spk cables.

My opinion is whatever speakers you try and audition it with I think they are a bit smooth and not really suitable for R'n'B music like Beyonce which could be disappointing, but I may be wrong. Maybe they are very difficult amps to partner with the right speakers. As an example I tried Beyonce's latest CD album " B'Day" and it was just too boomy in the midrange. The more I turned up the volume the worse it got, it was just unbearable so maybe this recording it quite smooth I really don't know. Or maybe these amps are smooth sounding on the whole.

As an example before I purchased the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amps I had a Arcam A85 & P85 and they were just fab with R'n'B but with other sorts of music eg Pop, Rock, Dance and Rock ' n' Roll they just sounded thin and lacked that big powerful enveloping sound. Maybe some amps are more suitable to particular styles of music.

Anyway let me know what you think?

Your more than welcome to come over and listen to my system, maybe you could give me some good advice on why it is not firing on all cylinders, and bring your cd collection with you!

Yas
                                      Last edited by Yasvanth; 17 March 2007, 08:26 Saturday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• alebonau
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2005

Hi Nektarious,
                                        ~

My opinion is whatever speakers you try and audition it with I think they are a bit smooth and not really suitable for R'n'B music like Beyonce which could be disappointing, but I may be wrong. Maybe they are very difficult amps to partner with the right speakers. ~Yas
                                        have tried them with any other speakers to say that yas ?

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                          • Jun 2006

Hi AL,

So far only the only speakers that I have tried with the A5 Pre & Pwr's are the Kef XQ5's and my Kef Reference 1:2's. But after reading Nectarious's thread about using the Monitor Audio GR20 or GS20's, I don't think these speakers will be suitable, They may sound a touch refined with my particular styles of hard pumping music. Al when it comes to musical pleasure, my standards are very high. I tend not to buy the latest technology on the market but if it sounds and looks good with all styles of music then that's alright with me.

I think it's not going to be easy finding a floorstanding spk that is not refined in the treble department, and that is willing to get down and dirty with some hard pumping music but also should be an all rounder with any style of music. After hearing what Nectarios had to say about the MA sounding refined that has definetly put me off , as you know the MF A5 amps are refined already and using refined spks will only aggravate the problem.

Thanks
                                          Yas
                                          Last edited by Yasvanth; 18 March 2007, 06:19 Sunday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• Cambs12
                                            • Jul 2006

Hi Yas,try PMC floorstanders,they will be tighter than your Kefs.B&W 703 also,the metal dome tweeter will give you more of an edge up top.Nordost speaker cable also perhaps,failing this,Naim is the way to go perhaps,tho i think the M/F gear is the best all-rounder at anywhere near the price.Possibly Dynaudio might be worth a look also.

Comment

• nektarios
                                              • Mar 2006

Hey, hi guys.

Yas, the "refined" part was what I read on the review and by Monitor Audios I refer to the BR2s.

Putting it into context, I think by "refined" What Hi-Fi refer to a speaker that is an all-rounder, i.e. that it plays all types of music well and not being good only for one type and "missing" other ones. Don't forget, they found them very exciting and dynamic speakers compared to the IQ5s.

About the A5 pre-pow, with the GR20s, at volumes 9:00 and 10:00 (I dared even 12!) the sound was becoming better and better and the bass really quick with no overhung.

By the way, about the new GS20 and previous GR20s: "What Hi-Fi" in their review gave them 4 stars and said that they lacked the soul of the previous ones (the GR20's).

The guys in SevenOaks say that the new GS20s have smoother high frequencies but less bass. The previous series, the GR20s, had more bass but also the highs had more bite too. Also GR20s were much more difficult to drive and require plenty of current (which I totally agree) - they believe that one of the best amps for the GR20s was the KW500 which I am looking forward to get from ebay (even though I haven't home demoed but I was blown away with the A5 combo)!

Now something different, I used the same speaker cables (Monitor Audio's PureFlow) but without the banana plugs at the speaker end (biwire, 4 plugs per speaker) and the whole sound has more highs, stronger (or fuller) and going-lower bass and the midrange sounds a tad clearer although not 100% sure. The system I use these are the Silver S6 + Xray-V3 + Trivista 21 Dac + X-150 (on Clearlight Aspekt rack).

Yas, if I ever drive close to the area you live no problem - I'll bring my amp, player, and CDs too!

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                • Jul 2006

Hi Folks,

Personally,i wouldn't believe a word i read in What Hifi,they are influenced purely by advertising revenue,and how can a review of a paragraph or two sum up an expensive piece of kit? I doubt very much that they invest the time required setting up and running in new kit.It is more of a 'Hifi Lite' magazine.For instance,do you ever see Musical Fidelity products in there?

So,Nektarios,are you the current bidder for the KW500 on Ebay at 1750 pounds? Good luck if you are,it would be a fantastic addition to your system. :T

Comment

• nektarios
                                                  • Mar 2006

Hi Cambs12!

No, I placed a maximum bid of 2,250 pounds today, but unfortunately somebody was really serious about it and got it 2,300...

My problem is I haven't home demoed it, so I am looking for a good deal in case I need to sell it again. This is why I didn't go for it.

All A5 flavours and the KW500 are said to be impressive - the X-T100 is said to be sonically the same as the KW500.

With my source and speakers, the A5 int makes me jump behind the sofa, the A5 pre-pow is absolutely amazing, and the X-T100 with it's own X-RayV8 had excellent crystal clear sound but some strong bass that I found annoying.

So this is why I hesitate...

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                    • Jul 2006

Hi Nektarios,

I know what you mean about hesitating.I have a Trivista 300 integrated,which is absolutely superb.Several newer designs have come up second hand recently,including the KW500 you saw,a couple of KW750s,and the KW pre/power combo.
                                                    I debated on some of them,but i think the only real difference between them and mine is a power increase,i think the 'Family' sound of these designs is very similar,especially if you see the circuit layout and components etc.As i am delighted with my amp,and already have more than enough power for any speaker going(350 wpc into 8ohm,600 into 4) i have decided to stick with what i have got.It is probably a law of diminishing returns,tho if you are still interested in a KW,there seem to be a reasonable amount coming up.Sometimes the dealers have them ex-demo for not much more than you saw the Ebay item,and with a warranty,hopefully,as well,as you would be the first proper owner,so no probs transferring the warranty,which i believe is for first owner only.
                                                    Incidentally,i did speak to a guy selling the monster KW pre/power combo about a year ago(5 boxes in total,1000wpc!!) but common sense prevailed
                                                    I think my speakers will be my next upgrada,this would give a better return on my investment.The strong bass you mention,i have cured my B&W cdm9nts of bass boom by placing marble plinths underneath them,made a huge improvement.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                      • Jun 2006

Musical Fidelity A5cr Cable Upgrade

Hi everyone,

Can somebody advise me on a speaker cable upgrade for my MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers. I have been using VDH Cleartrack Biamped spk cable in 4 -4 Banana plugs on each end for a few years now and I don't think these speaker cables are suitable.

Talking about the MF A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amps and reading other members threads on suitable speakers to match with these amps, I still feel they are a bit smooth and bassy with whatever speaker is matched with them eg Kef's,Monitor Audios, PMC's or the B&W and are difficult amps to match with the right speakers. Anyway let me know whether you agree or disagree.

Thanks

Yas
                                                      Last edited by Yasvanth; 26 March 2007, 07:42 Monday.

Comment

• AlanB
                                                        • Nov 2006

With my Nu Vista M3 and A5 CDP I use the new Chord Epic biwired into my B & W 805S's. Brilliant!!
                                                        Beauty is in everything but not seen by everyone

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                          • Jul 2006

Hi Al,

I haven't heard 805s thru'M/F,only Cyrus monoblocks,but was greatly impressed!!

Comment

• alebonau
                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
                                                            Hi Al,

I haven't heard 805s thru'M/F,only Cyrus monoblocks,but was greatly impressed!!
                                                            i've heard the 805s through full naim setup and also via a full electrocompaniet system. both sounded very nice I thought. very nice speakers do wonder what they would be like off MF.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                              • Jun 2006

Hi everybody,

Has anybody else had the chance to demo the Musical Fidelity A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers and if so, what do they think of these fantastic amps?

What sort of CD player, speakers and cables are you using with them?

Thanks
                                                              Yas
                                                              Last edited by Yasvanth; 04 April 2007, 07:53 Wednesday. Reason: missed out a few letters

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                • Oct 2005

Originally posted by nektarios
                                                                Hi Yasvanth.

This is a copy-paste of what I have written in my first post for you: it's a good thing we write our impressions down otherwise I probably wouldn't remember.

"If the dial on A5CR starts at 7:00 o'clock, with the GR20s, around only 8:00 o'clock the sound was big enveloping and utterly real. However, the bass felt a bit sluggish. By increasing the volume to 9:00 and 10:00 the bass becomes fast - it comes and goes unnounced but you really feel it and that is something I had heard only on the KW500 in SevenOaks. 10:00 o clock I think the sound was 85 db on my radioshack pressure level (sitting 2.6m away from the speakers). I tried 12:00 and even 1 o'clock - easily 95db but my ears didn't complain which means the sound is very balanced! Amazing!"

Maybe the GR20s were not run in, or not a good match. The low level frequencies were more evident and although this would give a nice effect in one type of music it was very bad with others.

However, when I tried the combo with the new GS10 standmounts the sound was perfect - if such a thing exists.

If you increase the volume to 9 or 10 o'clock, does the bass sound any different?
                                                                had a short listen to the Monitor audio Gold signature series GS60 with the MF A5CD and A5 integrated. My ears still not 100% following the flu but was quite impressed with the very even handed ness of the speaker. and boy what a gorgeously well made speaker. Fit finish & build is superb and not overwhelming in the size or looks. Felt really must explore thsi speaker further.

Comment

• nektarios
                                                                  • Mar 2006

Cambs12, Alebonau hi.

Cambs12, I have never tried using plinths under the speakers yet. By the way, the bass with the X-T100 + X-RayV8 was not boomy but too evident, not only in my flat but also on SevenOaks concrete floors with different speakers too.

Alebonau, I am glad you liked (for the time being!) the GS60s. I heard them in SevenOaks with the KW500 (don't remember which source) but it was almost like the real thing... I agree with you about their sound too. What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision magazine found them very refined and lacking the "soul" of their predecessors, but up to now everyone I have asked likes the new GS60s more than the GR series. Actually considering how much the sound changes with different components and cables, "lacking the soul of their predecessors" does not really indicate much about our very own systems...

And they are really pretty, arent they? My GR20s look like 2 big "coffins" in comparison!

Comment

• KathyH
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2007

Quite amusing because it's true, GR20's do resemble little coffins. I'm going to try and NOT hold that thought when I peer at them tonight!

I've read this thread thoroughly but have not posted before. Just wanted to say that I have found all the personal experiences shared here to be very helpful. Thank you. Recently I was able to buy a used Musical Fidelity A5 CR preamp and amp from an Audiogoner. These pieces sound awfully good with the Monitor Audio GR20's. I've had the speakers for 2 years. My poor Pioneer receiver's been working overtime trying to keep up. Now it can rest. I've been chipping away at upgrading one step at a time, as budget allows. Now a little more cord and interconnect experimentation and perhaps I'll be "there".

I'm learning that stereo systems and the synergy between components and attached wires can make them as unique as hmm..snowflakes almost. Positive Audiogon comment and curiosity led me to try a JPS Digital power cord on my Jolida 100 tubed cdplayer. I still don't understand how a power cord can make such a difference but without a doubt this one does in my system. Sonics, detail, depth-all are improved. It's amazing. And so now of course it's on to the next wire.....Darn this hobby. :roll: If anybody has any of their own cord & wire stories to share I'd be interested in hearing them.

And again, thanks for this hepful thread.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2006

Hi Kathy,

I recently bought an Isotek elite power cord,i was sceptical about how much of a difference it would make,bearing in mind the effect on the mains supply with not having a seperate supply to the hifi,but it seemed to give the system more height round the top end,opening the sound up even more,i guess the danger with this sort of upgrade is it is easy to convince yourself it is an improvement!
                                                                      What speaker cable do you use?

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Oct 2005

Cambs12, Alebonau hi.

Cambs12, I have never tried using plinths under the speakers yet. By the way, the bass with the X-T100 + X-RayV8 was not boomy but too evident, not only in my flat but also on SevenOaks concrete floors with different speakers too.

Alebonau, I am glad you liked (for the time being!) the GS60s. I heard them in SevenOaks with the KW500 (don't remember which source) but it was almost like the real thing... I agree with you about their sound too. What Hi-Fi Sound and Vision magazine found them very refined and lacking the "soul" of their predecessors, but up to now everyone I have asked likes the new GS60s more than the GR series. Actually considering how much the sound changes with different components and cables, "lacking the soul of their predecessors" does not really indicate much about our very own systems...

And they are really pretty, arent they? My GR20s look like 2 big "coffins" in comparison!
                                                                        really quite impressed so far with them nekt. good to read your thoughts. I'm glad I got to listen to them with the MF A5CD & A5 integrated

found some reviews of these as well which are quite complimentary.
                                                                        http://www.monitoraudio.co.uk/page.php?pag...7&review=12

I like it that the MA gold signatures and perhaps the previous reference series seem quite at home with MF gear and from both mid to high end components they have in their range.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by KathyH
                                                                          Quite amusing because it's true, GR20's do resemble little coffins. I'm going to try and NOT hold that thought when I peer at them tonight!

I've read this thread thoroughly but have not posted before. Just wanted to say that I have found all the personal experiences shared here to be very helpful. Thank you. Recently I was able to buy a used Musical Fidelity A5 CR preamp and amp from an Audiogoner. These pieces sound awfully good with the Monitor Audio GR20's. I've had the speakers for 2 years. My poor Pioneer receiver's been working overtime trying to keep up. Now it can rest. I've been chipping away at upgrading one step at a time, as budget allows. Now a little more cord and interconnect experimentation and perhaps I'll be "there".

I'm learning that stereo systems and the synergy between components and attached wires can make them as unique as hmm..snowflakes almost. Positive Audiogon comment and curiosity led me to try a JPS Digital power cord on my Jolida 100 tubed cdplayer. I still don't understand how a power cord can make such a difference but without a doubt this one does in my system. Sonics, detail, depth-all are improved. It's amazing. And so now of course it's on to the next wire.....Darn this hobby. :roll: If anybody has any of their own cord & wire stories to share I'd be interested in hearing them.

And again, thanks for this hepful thread.
                                                                          welcome Kathy to HTguide and to our little club MF that we have here.

Great to hear you picked up the MF A5cr Pre-pwr and enjoying it very much with the MA GR20's you have. Good to read your finding them all working well together as a system. I've got the pre-pwr along with a MF A5CD, will probably demo this lot with the GS60's next time I have a listen to them. Lookign forward to it !

interesting yoru experience with the power cable, dont understand how it would it would improve things either, but not something I've explored.

kathy & nekt have you foudn the MA speakers particualr fussy re positioning ? in regards the bass & overall performance hooked upto you mf gear ?

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                            • 403

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to the MF Club, it's nice to hear from a female Hifi enthusiast for a change.
                                                                            Did you say that you purchased the MF A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amps? and what do you think of it's sound quality so far?

Do they live up to your expectations and what do you think of the build quality?
                                                                            Just a matter of interest, what sort of CDP, interconnects and speaker cables are you using? Is there any particular style of music you like listening to, through the MF A5cr amps?

Thanks
                                                                            Yas
                                                                            Last edited by Yasvanth; 14 April 2007, 02:56 Saturday. Reason: missed out a few letters

Comment

• KathyH
                                                                              Junior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2007
                                                                              • 8

Folks, thank you for the "Welcomes".

Cambs12, good point. I've experienced this. A different sound doesn't necessarily mean a better sound. I want to remain aware of the "I-just-spent-350-hard-earned-dollars-so-this-MUST-be-better-sound" trap because it's human nature to fall into it. With the JPS Digital power cord, there was no talking myself into better musical sound. To my ears it just is. I'm using Harmonic Technology Fantasy bi-wire speaker wire. I wonder if it may be a little on the polite side in the middle area but I'm happy with it. ('Course that could be the biwire configuration, not sure?) I tried Cardas Cross, single wire. Now there's a case in point-fairly expensive and well-rated, but wow was it disappointing. It muddied everything up. In fairness I should mention that I was using Cardas jumpers too because the stock jumpers on the G20's made it impossible to attach the big Cardas spades. That may have been a contributing factor. Before the Cardas I used some Monster cable single (don't remember the number, maybe M1.2) thrown in with the speakers and have to say it's easier on the ears than the Cardas was...

Alebonau, it will be interesting to hear how the audition with your equipment and the GS60's goes. I'm quite happy with the Jolida but have a feeling the A5 is the cat's meow. I can't contribute much regarding positioning. My room has some limitations and unfortunately I'm unable to experiment much. In my room, I notice that 8 ft. apart sounds better than 6 ft. apart. Angled in just slightly. I sit back 10 ft. , not at center but to the right 2 ft. or so. (And I always thought I was a little left of center. Go figure.)

Yaz, I'm enjoying the musical experience I'm getting very much. I always look forward to picking out some music and settling in for a listen. Can't comment on build quality because that's out of my area of expertise. They look good, they're heavy and they provide great sound. What's under the hood where a good portion of the true "quality" lies, I suppose, is mostly a mystery to me. Mentioned cdp and speaker cable above. Interconnects are Harmonic Technology Harmony Link (cd - pre) and HT Truthlink (amp-pre). I have little experience with interconnects and there are certainly more expensive ones out there but I feel these HT's have a little bit of bass-emphasis, which is working for me.This may be at the expense of a little middle range - at times vocals seem to fall back a little farther than they should - to my ears - , not sure because a lot I notice depends on the recording itself, but I'm content with them for now. Preferred musical styles are all over the scale. Blues, classical, jazz, reggae, and rock if it's on the vintage side.

Take care, all.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                • Oct 2005
                                                                                • 992

Folks, thank you for the "Welcomes".

Cambs12, good point. I've experienced this. A different sound doesn't necessarily mean a better sound. I want to remain aware of the "I-just-spent-350-hard-earned-dollars-so-this-MUST-be-better-sound" trap because it's human nature to fall into it. With the JPS Digital power cord, there was no talking myself into better musical sound. To my ears it just is. I'm using Harmonic Technology Fantasy bi-wire speaker wire. I wonder if it may be a little on the polite side in the middle area but I'm happy with it. ('Course that could be the biwire configuration, not sure?) I tried Cardas Cross, single wire. Now there's a case in point-fairly expensive and well-rated, but wow was it disappointing. It muddied everything up. In fairness I should mention that I was using Cardas jumpers too because the stock jumpers on the G20's made it impossible to attach the big Cardas spades. That may have been a contributing factor. Before the Cardas I used some Monster cable single (don't remember the number, maybe M1.2) thrown in with the speakers and have to say it's easier on the ears than the Cardas was...

Alebonau, it will be interesting to hear how the audition with your equipment and the GS60's goes. I'm quite happy with the Jolida but have a feeling the A5 is the cat's meow. I can't contribute much regarding positioning. My room has some limitations and unfortunately I'm unable to experiment much. In my room, I notice that 8 ft. apart sounds better than 6 ft. apart. Angled in just slightly. I sit back 10 ft. , not at center but to the right 2 ft. or so. (And I always thought I was a little left of center. Go figure.)

Yaz, I'm enjoying the musical experience I'm getting very much. I always look forward to picking out some music and settling in for a listen. Can't comment on build quality because that's out of my area of expertise. They look good, they're heavy and they provide great sound. What's under the hood where a good portion of the true "quality" lies, I suppose, is mostly a mystery to me. Mentioned cdp and speaker cable above. Interconnects are Harmonic Technology Harmony Link (cd - pre) and HT Truthlink (amp-pre). I have little experience with interconnects and there are certainly more expensive ones out there but I feel these HT's have a little bit of bass-emphasis, which is working for me.This may be at the expense of a little middle range - at times vocals seem to fall back a little farther than they should - to my ears - , not sure because a lot I notice depends on the recording itself, but I'm content with them for now. Preferred musical styles are all over the scale. Blues, classical, jazz, reggae, and rock if it's on the vintage side.

Take care, all.
                                                                                hi kathy, thanks for the note back. yes will post for sure how the demo goes with my gear. fortunate that my local mf dealer sells MA and has the GS60 in stock so should be able to hear it as per my system. I'm hoping if do like them following a bit of closer scrutiny that I might be able to swing a home demo to see how they soudn in my room and so can get to know them a bit better.

thansk for the positioning info as well re the speakers. how you have them is not too different to what I would have. mine being a lounge room setup not too many choices and options either. good to knwo they work well in your setup as you have them.

The MF A5CD being the cats meow oh yes it had me purring hehe on first listen. seriously on my system when first heard it really seemed to make it all gel together. that said although I havent heard the jolida you have I'm sure it does a great job as well.

Comment

• KathyH
                                                                                  Junior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2007
                                                                                  • 8

Yes, I suspect the A5 could indeed be the gel. I will prudently postpone auditioning the gel until such time as funds allow. Positive comments and budget steered me toward the Jolida. Cost was about half the A5 cdp. It's been quite fascinating experimenting with various brands of tubes, hearing how each sounds.

Yep, a home demo, that's what you really need. Good luck!

Comment

• AlanB
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Nov 2006
                                                                                    • 41

NuVista M3 (replaced the internal interconnects with Carbon cables), A5 CDP with Trichord Clock 4 and Never Connected Power supply, B 7 W 805S's, Chord Epic double run, ALL Chord Power cables including the cables between Amp and Power Supply. Thought this was brilliant. I have just added (about 150 hours but still more to run in) the Chord Indigo Interconnect. This takes the music to another planet. Planet Euphoria!! I know it is a ridiculous price but if you hear it you'll want it. Perfect balance - bass, midrange and treble just mould together and make beautiful MUSIC.
                                                                                    Beauty is in everything but not seen by everyone

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Oct 2005
                                                                                      • 992

Yes, I suspect the A5 could indeed be the gel. I will prudently postpone auditioning the gel until such time as funds allow. Positive comments and budget steered me toward the Jolida. Cost was about half the A5 cdp. It's been quite fascinating experimenting with various brands of tubes, hearing how each sounds.

Yep, a home demo, that's what you really need. Good luck!
                                                                                      hi kathy, always been curious about jolida, not just their players but their amps as well that theyre known for. not too many opportunities to demo the brand in oz though so will just have to read about it unfortunately ! the jolida tube player you have sounds like great value !

I've always been keen on valves in my sources, owning a mf tubalog valve dac for the decade plus prior hasnt helped ! so getting a cd player with valves just was music to my ears I think !

the mf a5cd has some milspec valves that are quite unique so no oppotunities of tube rollign there unfortunately. but know what you mean re the fun of exprimenting with different tubes. With my tubalog dac its amazing that going from its standard valves and its warm rich sound you can go to a leaner cooler more neutral sound by just swapping to some russian tubes.

I cant wait for some more instore demos and hopefully a home demo of the MAGS60s. Not sure I trust my ears still following the flu, but hopefully within a month or so's time I'll get a chance for a bit more of a listen !

Comment

• nektarios
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2006
                                                                                        • 106

Hi guys!

Having the TriVista 21 DAC I connected numerous sources, CD players and DVD ones. One thing is for sure, with the tubes (at least the TriVista ones) the sound is so much real, dimensional on instrument level not just soundstage, and rich harmonics that contribute to musicality and reality. There is just no comparison.

When I home demoed the A5 CD I was shocked by the smoothness (in the sense of grainless and low noise floor) detail, harmonics and tight bass. Awesome player for me in my setup. I have found some people on the net did not like it, so better have a demo first. However I believe those people may have been trying with cables to smooth out brightness in their system so by just replacing their CDP to an A5 CD the sound was too lethargic. But that was not the player's fault.

By the way, one advantage with CDP + DAC in one box is that you get for granted the sonic signature the manufacturer intended. With my TriVista DAC every CD and DVD player used as a transport produced a different sound. This is why I don't use my DVD player, but bought the XRay-V3 as a transport. Hmm, before that I had the A3.2 CD. X-RayV3 sounds more neutral to my ears; A3.2 "warms", i.e. more bass, the music a bit.

Alebonau, speaker position and resulting sound depends heavily on room and speaker drivers, so you need to experiment a bit.

When speakers are too close to a back wall the bass thickens. When the speakers are too close to each other then again the bass may become boomy or sound thick.

With the GR20s I found that if I toe in the spekers so the drivers "meet" at my eyes, then the sound was fuller and the bass prominent. When the toe in was less, i.e. drivers pointing at my ears, the sound was more crisp with the treble and mids more evident.

In my room and the particular position I was using and A5 pre/pow I had the speakers against the long side of the room and a distance between them of 2.2 meters. Toe in was slight, speaker almost straight front. Any other position I tried the bass was too much, but then I think the GR20s were not ran in. I say this because a couple of days I was playing some music and the bass was boomy (I was using the Denon 3803 AV receiver) but after 4 hours the boominess was gone. As I am waiting to get a KW500 I don't use those babies yet. The combination of X-Ray V3 + TriVista 21 Dac + X-150 + Monitor Audio S6 is suberb to my ears!

By the way, with the much lighter S6s, when I place them in the middle of the room (i.e. to have plenty of space behind them) the sound stage becomes huge - 2-3 metres depth with normal music and more than 4 metres with classical!

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2006
                                                                                          • 191

Hi Nektarios,

Just a thought as i know you are after a KW500,i believe the Trivista 300 is worth looking for,might be a bit cheaper,and i reckon the only difference is a bit more power,but when the Trivista has 350w into 8ohm,and will drive anything with ease,this is not an issue.I bought mine for 1450 UKp secondhand,and i think i got an absolute bargain,as a recent Trivista went for 2050 UKP on the used market,just shows if the market is slow,what you can get..
                                                                                          I suffered a lot with boom with my B&W cdm9nts in my living room,and its a reasonable size room.I put marble slabs underneath,and this has worked wonders,even to the extent where i have started wondering if i could get away with N802s in this room and get the best out of them..tho still waiting on Alebonau's thoughts on the bigger Focal floorstanders,so,Al,take the day off work and get down to your local dealer pronto!

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                                            • 992

Hi guys!

Having the TriVista 21 DAC I connected numerous sources, CD players and DVD ones. One thing is for sure, with the tubes (at least the TriVista ones) the sound is so much real, dimensional on instrument level not just soundstage, and rich harmonics that contribute to musicality and reality. There is just no comparison.

When I home demoed the A5 CD I was shocked by the smoothness (in the sense of grainless and low noise floor) detail, harmonics and tight bass. Awesome player for me in my setup. I have found some people on the net did not like it, so better have a demo first. However I believe those people may have been trying with cables to smooth out brightness in their system so by just replacing their CDP to an A5 CD the sound was too lethargic. But that was not the player's fault.

By the way, one advantage with CDP + DAC in one box is that you get for granted the sonic signature the manufacturer intended. With my TriVista DAC every CD and DVD player used as a transport produced a different sound. This is why I don't use my DVD player, but bought the XRay-V3 as a transport. Hmm, before that I had the A3.2 CD. X-RayV3 sounds more neutral to my ears; A3.2 "warms", i.e. more bass, the music a bit.

Alebonau, speaker position and resulting sound depends heavily on room and speaker drivers, so you need to experiment a bit.

When speakers are too close to a back wall the bass thickens. When the speakers are too close to each other then again the bass may become boomy or sound thick.

With the GR20s I found that if I toe in the spekers so the drivers "meet" at my eyes, then the sound was fuller and the bass prominent. When the toe in was less, i.e. drivers pointing at my ears, the sound was more crisp with the treble and mids more evident.

In my room and the particular position I was using and A5 pre/pow I had the speakers against the long side of the room and a distance between them of 2.2 meters. Toe in was slight, speaker almost straight front. Any other position I tried the bass was too much, but then I think the GR20s were not ran in. I say this because a couple of days I was playing some music and the bass was boomy (I was using the Denon 3803 AV receiver) but after 4 hours the boominess was gone. As I am waiting to get a KW500 I don't use those babies yet. The combination of X-Ray V3 + TriVista 21 Dac + X-150 + Monitor Audio S6 is suberb to my ears!

By the way, with the much lighter S6s, when I place them in the middle of the room (i.e. to have plenty of space behind them) the sound stage becomes huge - 2-3 metres depth with normal music and more than 4 metres with classical!
                                                                                            interesting to read re your experience with the A5CD nekt. also thankyou for your findings re postioning especially in regards toe in and how the MAs went woth the MF A5 pre-power.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"