• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alebonau
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Cambs12
    ~
    I suffered a lot with boom with my B&W cdm9nts in my living room,and its a reasonable size room.I put marble slabs underneath,and this has worked wonders,even to the extent where i have started wondering if i could get away with N802s in this room and get the best out of them..tho still waiting on Alebonau's thoughts on the bigger Focal floorstanders,so,Al,take the day off work and get down to your local dealer pronto!
    boom is what I'm worried about.

hehe yes still on my agenda for one more listen to the focal 1027be's again. though the MA GS60s really had me re-evaluating/re-considering what my needs are. not sure when get a chance for a listen, my ears are pretty much back to normal I think but the next month and a half is hectic as hell. so not sure if will get a chance between now and then. looking forward ot more demoing though.
    "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Cambs12
      • Jul 2006

M/f 1008

I believe Musical Fidelity have a new integrated called the A1008,bout 3k UKP,
      Anyone know more about this?

Comment

• Yasvanth
        • Jun 2006

Hello all MF owners,

For the past couple of months I have been asking HT members for advice on about the best cd player, interconnects and spk cables to use with my fantastic MF A5cr Pre & A5cr Pwr amplifiers. As I thought they were a touch smooth and boomy in the midrange I have now cured this problem and I am over the moon, because at one time I was even thinking of selling these beauties. Now you may ask what have I done, well I decided to purchase a Isotek Elite pwr cable through Ebay and once I changed the freebie cable from my A5 Pre the sound was just so much tighter and less of that irritating boominess that one sometimes gets. I decided to use the Isotek pwr cable because that is what HIfi News used when they first tested the A5 Pre & Pwr amps out. I am still using a VDH Mainsstream cable for my A5 Pwr amp which I am very happy with.

One other note that I must say is, that I have saved myself a considerable amount of money by not replacing my CD Player, Spks, Interconnects or my Spk cable and I am very pleased indeed. But in the near future I still don't mind replacing my midrange Arcam CD player with a cd player that is more or less in the same quality as my amplifiers.

Thank you

Yas
        Last edited by Yasvanth; 28 April 2007, 02:31 Saturday. Reason: missed out a few words

Comment

• Cambs12
          • Jul 2006

Hi Yas,

i bought the same mains cable a couple of months ago for my A5 cd player,and have been happy with it,seems to add a bit to the upper registers,and soundstage.

For a relatively small sum of money,it is a worthwhile upgrade. I now want to buy a mains purifier unit from Isotek.
          Have you heard anything about an A1008 integrated from M/F? not listed on their website,but is listed in the unilet price guide(who are incidentally having a sale at the moment..)

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

good your finally oer the moon in regards the amps yas. no havent seen or heard anythign re a MF A1008 cambs. if it is a new release wouldnt have expected it to be on a retailer price guide as yet. perhaps this is a new release of the old A1000 series. perhaps this is a big daddy amp that is supposed to be released as trumpeted on the website - you know so you wont ever want for more watts any more...

by the way guys I have come by another mf a5cr pwr amp that I now hae in my possesion. plan to try that out bi-amping my mains and plus also to take around for demoing speakers.

Comment

• Cambs12
              • Jul 2006

2 A5 power amps should sound fantastic,will be very interested how you get on.Which speakers are you considering?

Comment

• Yasvanth
                • Jun 2006

Hello Al,

Please give us all a full review of what the A5c Pre & Pwr amps sound like when Bi-amped with another A5 PWR Amp especially me as I am dying to know.

Thanks
                Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

2 A5 power amps should sound fantastic,will be very interested how you get on.Which speakers are you considering?
                  hi cambs, keen to know how bi-amping goes with my mission 753s but yes so far on my demo list that I could have a play with on bi-amping is the Monitor audio GS60. jsut need ot get out and demo these speakers when get a chance ! though will probably only try them bi-amping if can swing a home demo of MAs.

Comment

• alebonau
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                    Hello Al,

Please give us all a full review of what the A5c Pre & Pwr amps sound like when Bi-amped with another A5 PWR Amp especially me as I am dying to know.

Thanks
                    Yas
                    hi Yas, will do for sure. I'm keen to find out as well. Very easy to bi-amp with the mf a5 as each amp has an output for daisy chaining. I can try bi-amping in a couple of ways. with one amp driving the top/mids and another the bass. or alternatively use one power amp to drive each speaker. with L ch drivign the top/mids and R ch on the amp drving bass on each speaker.

been travelling a bit and been very busy so havent even had a chance to unpack the 2nd amp from its box as yet ! cant wait to give it a shot !

Comment

• Cambs12
                      • Jul 2006

I have details of the new A1008 integrated amp..

cost approx ukp 2999, 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms,digital inputs including USB,and on-board DAC,allowing connection to music servers-the DAC is identical to the X-DACv8.
                      Apparently it's a direct descendant of the KW550,and shares the sam physical layout and circuit componentry.The difference is an extra 3db dynamic range for the KW550,and apparently if you use speakers 89db efficient or greater,the two cannot be told apart.
                      Above info courtesy of this month's Hi-fi Choice magazine in the UK.

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

I have details of the new A1008 integrated amp..

cost approx ukp 2999, 250 watts per channel into 8 ohms,digital inputs including USB,and on-board DAC,allowing connection to music servers-the DAC is identical to the X-DACv8.
                        Apparently it's a direct descendant of the KW550,and shares the sam physical layout and circuit componentry.The difference is an extra 3db dynamic range for the KW550,and apparently if you use speakers 89db efficient or greater,the two cannot be told apart.
                        Above info courtesy of this month's Hi-fi Choice magazine in the UK.
                        hm sounds liek an interesting product. bit on the pricey side though

Comment

• nektarios
                          • Mar 2006

Hi to all!

Bi-amping with two A5s? I read in some magazine review that with a pair of X-P200s you could jump-start the Frankenstein monster... I can't imagine with 2 A5s!

Alebonau, hopefully you won't cause any voltage drops in Melbourne!

I hope you get the time you need for the tests and please tell us your experience with single and bi-amping! And different speaker too if you get the chance!

Comment

• Yasvanth
                            • Jun 2006

Hi everbody,

MF used to produce a Pre and Pwr amp in the 90's called the F16 and F22 if I'm correct which were serious power monsters driven in Class A mode. Also the design and build quality was far superior to the new A5 and KW amps which just aren't as good, maybe as they are now produced in China and the F16 and F22 were manufactured in Britain.

Have any MF owners ever listened to these famous amps which were highly rated by What Hifi quite a few years back?

Thanks
                            Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
                              • Jul 2006

I think the build quality on A5 is very good,my Trivista 300 also,never given me any concerns...The Chinese are becoming very accomplished at building hifi,and where labour costs are lower,we benefit by getting more performance for our pound/dollar etc.

Comment

• alebonau
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Oct 2005

Hi everbody,

MF used to produce a Pre and Pwr amp in the 90's called the F16 and F22 if I'm correct which were serious power monsters driven in Class A mode. Also the design and build quality was far superior to the new A5 and KW amps which just aren't as good, maybe as they are now produced in China and the F16 and F22 were manufactured in Britain.

Have any MF owners ever listened to these famous amps which were highly rated by What Hifi quite a few years back?

Thanks
                                Yas
                                I know the f16, f22 quite well yas. I bought the model below them quite hapily when I was demoing back then.

with the mf of today is made in taiwan and what I have seen of the inside of the a5 can tell you its built quality superior to mf gear in the 90s. And components used is exactly the same, brand and quality eg capacitors connectors etc.

one key difference mf are now no longer using mosfets as in the amps from 90s and before the a5 for instance the sanken output devices. comparing to my older gear there is a clear extension in freq response, more detail sound stage etc.

the A5 I've found even a clear winner over the a308 model before in terms of SQ. In every facet. and the real winner is price being 25% cheaper due to its taiwanese manufacture.

Comment

• alebonau
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Oct 2005

was extremely fortunate to get the opportunity to hear the Focal utopia divas at a forum gtg organised at a retainler e-home here in melb. really the best speaker have heard yet, and it was all running off an A5CD and A5 integrated.

Certainly sounded sensational with a very clean bass, great sound staging, detail and the best part a very enjoyable sound. Did leave me wondering what they would have sounded with my A5 pre-pwr. but they certainly sounded superb with the electronics they had ! beautifull speakers !

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                    • Jun 2006

Hi Alebonau,

Just like to know whether you got the chance to test out the A5 amps but in Biamped mode with the second A5 Pwr amp that you recently purchased, as we are all dying to know what these monsters will sound like ?

Thanks
                                    Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Hi Alebonau,

Just like to know whether you got the chance to test out the A5 amps but in Biamped mode with the second A5 Pwr amp that you recently purchased, as we are all dying to know what these monsters will sound like ?

Thanks
                                      Yas
                                      hi Yas, sorry things been a bit crazy this end, workwise, so havent had the opportunity to setup. the amp is still in its box can you believe ! I did find a great article re biamping. will post up might be of interesting reading for some.

Comment

• rick c
                                        • Aug 2004

Hope on one minds but i'm inquiring into the musical fidelity amps and was wondering if anyone could tell me if they are cool running.Reason being that whatever amp i may get it would need to be placed in a cabinet which has 2 doors 1 door will be open at all times but the other would be closed.The amp would be behind the closed door.thanks

Comment

• Cambs12
                                          • Jul 2006

Hi Rick,
                                          Which amp are you thinking of,i.e. whether or not it has heat sinks may be a factor..

Comment

• rick c
                                            • Aug 2004

Hi Rick,
                                            Which amp are you thinking of,i.e. whether or not it has heat sinks may be a factor..
                                            It was the ac3r but just found out it was sold.Actually looking for 2-3 channel and low profile like the ac3r.But it needs to be cool running,dont want any problems down the line.

Comment

• alebonau
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by rick c
                                              It was the ac3r but just found out it was sold.Actually looking for 2-3 channel and low profile like the ac3r.But it needs to be cool running,dont want any problems down the line.
                                              hi rick, scratchign my head to think of power amps that run cool. primare, arcam and bryston make some slim line 3ch amps.

typically its not the done thing to locate power of integrated amps inside of enclosed cabinets. need to be very carefull to ensure adequate ventilation and airflow and make sure amps have the room they need to breathe.

if you have your gear in a cabinet try put the amp on top of the cabinet for instance. I have a couple of old mf typhoon stereo/mono blocs that run reasonably cool, but even those the entire top of the cabinet is open grill to make sure no heat stays inside. I'd dare say if you kept in a cabinet the temprature inside would gradually rise. and heat does nothign for life of amps, particualrly the capacitors.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                • Jul 2006

Hi Rick,

Can you take the back off the cabinet,this might help airflow to the amp..

Comment

• rick c
                                                  • Aug 2004

Hi Rick,

Can you take the back off the cabinet,this might help airflow to the amp..
                                                  no that's not an option.Only holes to run the cables thru.Just to give you an idea what i'm talking about i have my rotel rsx1056 in the cabinet but that particular door is always open.The oher door is right next to it but it will remain closed.There is nothing inbetween the doors so it's an open area.basically the amp would sit next to the rotel (same shelf)but behind a door.
                                                  As aside note my reasons for an amp is anticipation that i may or may not have a problem with the rsx1056.I've asked this question and it's been divided as to the answers.My speakers are 4-8 ohm and 90db.Supposedly the rsx1056 should not be used with 4ohm speakers.Some say it's fine adding they drive 4 ohm with theirs.But right now i'm using it and it's doing a great job.So others have said i may not have a problem now but i will later.So i'm on the fence.Obviously if it continues performing fine without any excessive heat i may no get an amp at all.Dont want to buy something i dont need.what do you think of this?

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                    • Jul 2006

I guess you could try it for a while,and if it is cutting out on you,then you will have your answer.What speakers are you using?

Comment

• rick c
                                                      • Aug 2004

I guess you could try it for a while,and if it is cutting out on you,then you will have your answer.What speakers are you using?
                                                      I have system audio sa1750's(main),sa720av(center) and sa505's as surrounds.Along with Martin Logan grotto sub.

Comment

• Robbo1
                                                        • Dec 2006

A1008

Hi Yas,

i bought the same mains cable a couple of months ago for my A5 cd player,and have been happy with it,seems to add a bit to the upper registers,and soundstage.

For a relatively small sum of money,it is a worthwhile upgrade. I now want to buy a mains purifier unit from Isotek.
                                                        Have you heard anything about an A1008 integrated from M/F? not listed on their website,but is listed in the unilet price guide(who are incidentally having a sale at the moment..)
                                                        Presumably you have seen the June edition of Hi-Fi Choice which mentions the A1008 and states that it will be reviewed next month.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                          • Jul 2006

I have indeed,it will be interesting how it compares to the A5 pre/power combo,costing the same..

Comment

• nektarios
                                                            • Mar 2006

Guys, most probably you may have seen it; there are a couple of sites selling ? the A1008... Does this amp exist? I should visit SevenOaks and see how it sounds...

Here are a couple of web sites with more or less the same description:

From hifi gear

From Audio Venue Ltd

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                              • Jul 2006

its not on the M/F website yet,be interesting if it is in a new category,i.e. not A5 series and not KW either.Unilet have it listed in their current price list,so must be on sale soon i guess.On another note,only 16 days 'til M/F reveal their new product for sorting out the issue of amplifier power,anyone got any ideas?

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                • Jun 2006

Hi

Has anybody compared the sound of Musical Fidelity amps to Arcam amps, and what do they think of the two characters of both amps?

All the best

Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Oct 2005

I managed to home demo over the last weekend the Focal utopia Diva's with my MF A5CD, & A5cr pre-pwr. What a gorgeous speaker.

A scinitilating top end, lovely midrange with warmth and richness, and a bass with heaps of punch and attack.

so deal was done and now the owner of these very lovely speakers. if anyone else with similar MF A5 gear do take the opportunity to demo with these, make a lovely match.
                                                                  Attached Files

Comment

• KathyH
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Mar 2007

Ooooooo-aahhhhhhh, alebonau. Very nice. Congratulations!

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Jul 2005

Alebonau...

Them Divas look niiiiice!!
                                                                      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                                                                      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                                                                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jul 2006

Congratulations Al!!

They look absolutely stunning,looking forward to hearing more of your thoughts on these,might make me think twice before pulling the trigger on a pair of B&W Nautilus 802s..!

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Jun 2006

Hello all fellow members,

If anyones interested there is a MF A5 Pre & A5 Pwr amp for sale on Ebay UK. This is great time to pick up a bargain as MF amps don't seem to hang around long.

All the best

Yas

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Dec 2006
                                                                            • 85

Hello all fellow members,

If anyones interested there is a MF A5 Pre & A5 Pwr amp for sale on Ebay UK. This is great time to pick up a bargain as MF amps don't seem to hang around long.

All the best

Yas
                                                                            Hey Yas,
                                                                            What happened? After all your drive & good feelings with these wonderful A5.
                                                                            What are you going to do then?
                                                                            regards,
                                                                            Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
                                                                            HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jun 2006
                                                                              • 403

Hi Uncle Dito,

Oh no, I'm not selling my A5 amps no way. But if your interested there is a chap on Ebay Uk who is selling these wonderful amps. So now is a chance to pick up a bargain, instead of paying the full retail price of £3k which is a heck of a lot of wonga for any person.
                                                                              My A5 Pre and Pwr amplifiers are definetly for the keeping.

Yas

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Dec 2006
                                                                                • 85

Hi Uncle Dito,

Oh no, I'm not selling my A5 amps no way. But if your interested there is a chap on Ebay Uk who is selling these wonderful amps. So now is a chance to pick up a bargain, instead of paying the full retail price of £3k which is a heck of a lot of wonga for any person.
                                                                                My A5 Pre and Pwr amplifiers are definetly for the keeping.

Yas
                                                                                OK sorry for the wrong interpretation

By the way, I only spotted the A5 CR Pre on ebay, the power AMP is gone.
                                                                                Hi Fi: Audio Research VT.100mkIII, Reference 3, DAC8; Sony SCDXA5400ES; MF A1008 integrated (backup); B&W 803D (also used in HT setup); IXOS cables XHS553 (644 SPC4mm2 high purity silver speaker cable); Chord Digital Signature coaxial, Chord Optical Optichord; VDH C5 The Bay; MIT AVt 1 analogue interconnects; QNAP TS209 NAS; J River MC21
                                                                                HT:Sony STR-DA1200ES (Front Pre Out into Reference 3 HT input); Sony SAVE-835D speakers; Sony Blu ray BDP-5000ES; REL STRATA 5; QED Reference Digital audio

Comment

• uncle_dito
                                                                                  Member
                                                                                  • Dec 2006
                                                                                  • 85

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                                                  hi Yas, sorry things been a bit crazy this end, workwise, so havent had the opportunity to setup. the amp is still in its box can you believe ! I did find a great article re biamping. will post up might be of interesting reading for some.
                                                                                  Hi Alebonau,
                                                                                  Have you had the chance to setup biamp with A5 CR PWR?
                                                                                  What is your feedback?
                                                                                  Kind regards

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                    • Oct 2005
                                                                                    • 992

Originally posted by uncle_dito
                                                                                    Hi Alebonau,
                                                                                    Have you had the chance to setup biamp with A5 CR PWR?
                                                                                    What is your feedback?
                                                                                    Kind regards
                                                                                    hi uncle ditto, I only had a brief experience bi-amping with another mf a5cr on my mission 753s. what I noticed was a certain cleanliness to the sound. a bit more silky ness, the quietness a bit more inky black.

it was a very brief experience, since now with the Focal utopia Diva's they are a single wire speaker, cannot be bi-amped and so hence traded the spare A5cr power amp in as part of the deal of getting the new speakers.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                      • Oct 2005
                                                                                      • 992

jsut wandering on my local mf dealers website and noticed this...

We're Carlton Audio Visual - with over 200 years accumulated experience, we are here to help

kw550 monoblocs !

these Supercharger floorstanding Monoblocks apparently available from oct this year. sure will get a bit of interest I'm sure.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2006
                                                                                        • 191

I think the secret is out!! These must be what M/F refer to on their countdown on the website.. Looks like they can be used with an integrated amp,or also maybe a pre-amp.Would look good next to your Focal Divas Alebonau!!

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                          • Oct 2005
                                                                                          • 992

I think the secret is out!! These must be what M/F refer to on their countdown on the website.. Looks like they can be used with an integrated amp,or also maybe a pre-amp.Would look good next to your Focal Divas Alebonau!!
                                                                                          hehe sure looks like an interesting product doesnt it. and you could be right in it steelign the thunder on the secret being out.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2006
                                                                                            • 191

Yep,i think it is definitely what they were referring to..
                                                                                            Interestingly,the new A1008 integrated i believe has an off-board power supply,and also a new cd player to join it coming soon...
                                                                                            How are the Focal's doing,any more thoughts about how they go together with the A5s?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"