• Show
Clear All
  • s204oxox
    • Jul 2008

that sounds great

Comment

• SoundEngine355
      • Feb 2008

I am a previous A5 cd,pre,power owner and looking to get back into the ring with MF.

Looking at the KW550 with kW DM25 Dac and kW DM25 Transport, just wondering if this will be a improvement over the A5 series to warrant the extra cost?

I'm running a pair of custom built 3 way speakers which I upgraded to from the B&W 803D's.
      SoundEngine355

-------------------
      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• alebonau
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
        I am a previous A5 cd,pre,power owner and looking to get back into the ring with MF.

Looking at the KW550 with kW DM25 Dac and kW DM25 Transport, just wondering if this will be a improvement over the A5 series to warrant the extra cost?

I'm running a pair of custom built 3 way speakers which I upgraded to from the B&W 803D's.
        good question SE, would be a hard choice I reckon, the a5 range for the money is extraordinary I think and the kw is just superb stuff as well !

am a a5cd, and a5cr pre-pwr owner myself. and havign only seen a mf kw550 cant help but think it is in another league as an amplifier ! I have not seen anything like it as an integrated and it would give a pretty decent run to many pre-pwr combos I reckon

not sure on the kw dm25 dac - transport though, it is a lot of cost for source and generally in my opinion past the point of the a5cd the laws of diminishing returns tends to swing in pretty heavily so youd have to compared with the a5cd I reckon to see for your self if the benefits there.

if you do end up comparing the a5 series gear with the kw would really appreciate reading your thoughts on how you find them.
        "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Laurent
          • Dec 2006

A5 integrated amp and B&W 802d

Hi,

I have an A5 int. paired with B&W 803S and consider upgrading to B&W 802d. I wonder if the A5 will be good enough. Does anyone have experience with the A5 int. to power 802d?

I also wonder if adding an A5 power amp to the integrated would be of any help? The int. amp would drive the medium while the additional A5 pwr amp would drive the bass of both speakers. Does that make any sense? Once again any experience or opinion appreciated.

thanks - Laurent

Comment

• alebonau
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Laurent
            Hi,

I have an A5 int. paired with B&W 803S and consider upgrading to B&W 802d. I wonder if the A5 will be good enough. Does anyone have experience with the A5 int. to power 802d?

I also wonder if adding an A5 power amp to the integrated would be of any help? The int. amp would drive the medium while the additional A5 pwr amp would drive the bass of both speakers. Does that make any sense? Once again any experience or opinion appreciated.

thanks - Laurent
            hi laurent, I am aware of someone who bought a B&W 802D and paired with an A5 int. myself If was doing the same would do exactly as you suggest and bi-amp wiht the a5cr power amp, using that to drive the bass drivers and the a5 integrated to drive the top end. should provide a superb result.

if you can grab an a5 cr power amp, you could check out the integrated only drivign the 802D's and then add the power amp driving the bass drivers and see for yourself the benefit that brings

Comment

• Laurent
              • Dec 2006

thanks Alebonau. I will re-post my question on the B&W forum to see if someone there as any other experience.

Laurent

Comment

• Lagare Lout
                • Nov 2007

For those in Australia who may be looking for an A5 CD or A5cr preamp I have listed both on ebay.

Downsizing

Comment

• oversleep
                  • Oct 2007

MF A5 + beckmark DAC vs KW250s

Hi

I just purchase a pair of 804s.

I am think of getting a MF A5 int (1600 US) or MF KW250s (2700 US)

The reason why i am thinking of getting the kw250s over a5 is i need a good Cd player and a decent DAC to match the 804s. If i get the A5 i will have to spend roughly over 1000 US for a DAC. where as Kw250s give me all the options i need in a box.

The only doubt is which of these has better sound quality of the amp. Which would be better?

MF claims that Kw250s got better amplification as it has 2 mono amplifiers fitted in, also CD and DAC are from KW range as well. According to them KW suppose to be better range.

Any comments?

Comment

• alebonau
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Lagare Lout
                    For those in Australia who may be looking for an A5 CD or A5cr preamp I have listed both on ebay.

Downsizing
                    good luck wiht the sale lagare, what were you using as power amp ?

Comment

• alebonau
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by oversleep
                      Hi

I just purchase a pair of 804s.

I am think of getting a MF A5 int (1600 US) or MF KW250s (2700 US)

The reason why i am thinking of getting the kw250s over a5 is i need a good Cd player and a decent DAC to match the 804s. If i get the A5 i will have to spend roughly over 1000 US for a DAC. where as Kw250s give me all the options i need in a box.

The only doubt is which of these has better sound quality of the amp. Which would be better?

MF claims that Kw250s got better amplification as it has 2 mono amplifiers fitted in, also CD and DAC are from KW range as well. According to them KW suppose to be better range.

Any comments?
                      hi over, either will have no troubles driving the 804, the 250s certainly a good all in one solution which defintely very capable and given your scenario would seem the obvious solution. keep in mind the limitation of getting all in one units, ie if one fails then the whole box will need to go into repair, additionally loose the flexibility in upgrading. but otherwise the 250s would be a pretty good way to go I reckon

Comment

• oversleep
                        • Oct 2007

Originally posted by alebonau
                        hi over, either will have no troubles driving the 804, the 250s certainly a good all in one solution which defintely very capable and given your scenario would seem the obvious solution. keep in mind the limitation of getting all in one units, ie if one fails then the whole box will need to go into repair, additionally loose the flexibility in upgrading. but otherwise the 250s would be a pretty good way to go I reckon
                        thank you for the input. I can see the downside of having all-in-one unit. The whole system failure and the system upgrade limitation. However, if the all-in-one sounds better i would be more than happy to cope with the downside....

would i regret this over A5 in terms of sound quality?

PS: the kw250s should be able to drive most of decent speakers and will be perfect for 2nd system (bed room) where it is much suited.

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by oversleep
                          thank you for the input. I can see the downside of having all-in-one unit. The whole system failure and the system upgrade limitation. However, if the all-in-one sounds better i would be more than happy to cope with the downside....

would i regret this over A5 in terms of sound quality?

PS: the kw250s should be able to drive most of decent speakers and will be perfect for 2nd system (bed room) where it is much suited.
                          I reckon it would sound superb !

Comment

• Lagare Lout
                            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by alebonau
                            good luck wiht the sale lagare, what were you using as power amp ?
                            Krell FPB-300cx, not going to sell the power amp, it would be too hard/expensive to replace. Down to running -

Denon A11---> Krell HTS ---> Krell FPB 300cx ---> Spendor S9e

Also selling the Krell KAV-300i that was used to drive the Centre + sub and a pair of Denon POA-4400A monoblocks that were driving the rear channels.

Comment

• musical physic
                              • Aug 2008

Downsizing audio amps!

Hello all,

First post in the forum

For those living in Australia, I am dowsizing my system. On offer are a Pair of MF X-P200 amps. Both units are in pristine condition. Purchased them from Len Wallis approx 2 yrs ago.For details or offers PM or email me.

Cheers Daniel. :T
                              Speakers [Audio Physic Virgo V] Amps [Musical Fidelity 750k] Pre [Musical Fidelity A1 FBP] DAC [North Star Extremo] Transport [North Star M192] Power [Thor PS-10] Cables [Acoustic Revive] Rack [Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E12]

Comment

• cossie0
                                • May 2008

Just thought I would post pics of my system which I have owned for around 7 years.

The system is Nuvista.
                                I recently had the amp upgraded with a beefier power supply and other tweaks by John Sampson who used to be MF's service manager.

It sound even better now than it did before and I am now seriously thinking of letting him do his magic on the CD player.

The speakers are Ruark Solstice which seem to be very rare. Again I have owned these for around 7 years. I was thinking of changing them to either a set of B&W 802d or Monitor audio PL300's.

The tuner is an X-plorer which is on the other rack.
                                Attached Files

Comment

• Rightbrained
                                  • Jul 2008

interesting looking system there cossie.

Comment

• cossie0
                                    • May 2008

Thanks rightbrained.

I have a Tag Mclaren DVD32R which always had the reputation of being one of the finest CD players in the world when it was linked up to the Tag AV32R processor via the synclink connection (which reclocks for jitter removal)

I manged to get hold of an AV32R and did a direct comparison against the nuvista and from a sound quality point of view there was absolutely nothing between them.

The Tag combo new was around 6.5k and the MF cost less than half that. It is a testament to the MF and shows what an absolute bargain it was (and still is)

The Tag has now gone back to being a DVD player something it also really excels at.

If anyone else has the MF combo. I would be interested in seeing what speakers you use.

cheers

Comment

• SoundEngine355
                                      • Feb 2008

Is there going to be a A5.5cr power amplifier and preamplifier coming out like the old A5 series?
                                      SoundEngine355

-------------------
                                      [Music] B&W 800D | Classe CDP202 +M400s | Velodyne DD15

Comment

• alebonau
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by SoundEngine355
                                        Is there going to be a A5.5cr power amplifier and preamplifier coming out like the old A5 series?
                                        who knows SE. the a5cr pre pwr an awesome cobination. without them, it has left a bit of a hole in the mf range with the first pre-pwr combination being the afbp + superchargers which is a bit of an odd ball setup if you ask me and costing a lot more. or moving upto the kw pre-pwr which is just crazy money by comparison.

time will tell i guess as to what comes in the mf range.

Comment

• hifidez
                                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cossie0
                                          Just thought I would post pics of my system which I have owned for around 7 years.

The system is Nuvista.
                                          I recently had the amp upgraded with a beefier power supply and other tweaks by John Sampson who used to be MF's service manager.

It sound even better now than it did before and I am now seriously thinking of letting him do his magic on the CD player.

The speakers are Ruark Solstice which seem to be very rare. Again I have owned these for around 7 years. I was thinking of changing them to either a set of B&W 802d or Monitor audio PL300's.

The tuner is an X-plorer which is on the other rack.
                                          What a great system. I was browsing in my local MF dealer yesterday and saw a Nuvista SACD player. I just didn't realise how big they were! What on earth is inside these beasts? I have to make do with my kit which is 'based on' Nuvista circuits I suppose.

Derek

Comment

• hifidez
                                            • Feb 2007

I have just received my copy of the latest Hi-Fi News here in the UK. Therein is an ad for a new range from MF - A 'V' series, similar to the X sereis, but in lower costs casings. No mention yet on MF's website. Don't have the ad to hand but there is a V-can, and LPS plus a pre-amp IIRC.

A link to some V-can publicity is here: http://www.avhub.com.au/NewsArticle....sArticleID=903

Derek

Comment

• musical physic
                                              • Aug 2008

X-P200 for sale (SOLD)

Hello all,

For those in Australia, I'm selling off my last X-P200 on eBay.

Link : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MESE:IT&ih=011

Cheers,

Daniel
                                              Last edited by musical physic; 22 September 2008, 09:47 Monday.
                                              Speakers [Audio Physic Virgo V] Amps [Musical Fidelity 750k] Pre [Musical Fidelity A1 FBP] DAC [North Star Extremo] Transport [North Star M192] Power [Thor PS-10] Cables [Acoustic Revive] Rack [Finite Elemente Pagode Signature E12]

Comment

• c22600
                                                • Oct 2008

Hi All,

I just upgraded my 2 channel system and thought I would write to tell others of the experience. I am no audiophile, just a music lover, so there wont be too much audiophile jargon.

I had a pair of B&W 683’s bi-wired to a MF A5 with the main source being a Marantz SA-11S1 SACD. I enjoy 2ch music.

I had been running this configuration for almost a year but was not happy with the mid range on the 683’s. The A5 had plenty of power to drive them but something was lacking, the bottom end of the 683’s sounded good, nice tight deep bass with the A5 being able to give them a good kick when needed but the mid range became fatiguing after an hour or so of listening with voices sounding raspy and very nasally.

I had been looking at the B&W 800 series for a while and already have an HTM4 as the centre speaker in the HT setup.

I was considering the 804’s, 803S’s and the 803D’s. After listening to the 803D’s for a couple of hours, I bought them. Wow, what a difference over the 683’s with it’s silky smooth mid range.

Now, I thought I would be content with the A5 running the 803D’s as I had listened to this combination (well A5.5) and although they did sound very good in the show room but, at home, the 683’s had a “fuller” sound to them compared to what I describe as a “thinner” sound now coming from the 803D’s and after spending all this money, was still not happy.

Even after more that 250 hours of run in time, the sound became smoother and sweeter but, still sounded “thin” to my ears, there was something lacking.

The 803’s are a power hungry speaker, even with their 90dB SPL rating so now the hunt was on for another amp (jeez I love this hobby) and I like the MF amps.

I went and listened to the 803D’s on both a KW550 and an A5.5 with the 550K superchargers and although the A5.5 / SC combination sounded very good, the KW550 with it’s tube pre-amp was sound to die for, I had to have one but with a RRP of 13 -14K, a little out of my price range after just lashing out on the 803D’s, even with trade-in on the 683's.

Anyway, afer a bit of hunting around, I managed to pickup a near new and already run in KW550 for a very reasonable price, <6K, and now have that hooked into my system. Switching from the A5 to the KW550 was like walking out of a dark room into the bright sunlight, the difference is that incredible when partnered to the 803D’s.

The first thing I noticed was the sound stage, both depth and width, the speakers seemed to disappear as this wall of sweet sound filled the room. Not only is the bass smoother, tighter and more controlled, the mid range and top end have developed this full, rich, smooth sound, no more “thinness”, just this rich sound of music with incredible detail and clear smooth vocals, male and female.

I am more than happy with this combination and now I know I will enjoy many years of listening pleasure ( I will have to otherwise the better half will kill me). Fortunately for me though, she is an avid music lover gives the system a work out when I’m not home.

For anyone considering an upgrade from the A5 to the KW and the budget can handle it, DO IT, you won’t be disappointed.

Of course this is all very subjective and these are my opinions based on the equipment mentioned above, my listening environment and taste in music, but I am very happy with the results.

Cheers, Norm…..

Comment

• alebonau
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Oct 2005

great story there c2. great to hear of your happiness. am very familiar wiht the a5 integrated and have the seen the kw550 integrated. can totally understand the benefit brought. wow man the kw550 is like no other integrated is it. an integrated on steroids I reckon ! hehe really goes to show what great results can be achieved with an integrated !

nice source there wiht the marantz as well you have there, and have to agree the B&W - mf makes for a very nice combo

ps looking at the mf website under the kw series looks like the 550kw is last remaining of the series, rumors earlier of the kw pre being made defunct must have been true. wonder if a new flagship kw series to come

Comment

• cyanide
                                                    • Oct 2008

No more "TOP LOADING" http://www.musicalfidelity.com/produ...8/a1008cd.html
                                                    =)

Comment

• cyanide
                                                      • Oct 2008

btw I'm new here (from sweden) and have a1008 int. No cd player yet though. looking for used cdplayers. Not too expensive but decent to match amp and speakers.

Comment

• cntlaw
                                                        • Mar 2008

Originally posted by cyanide
                                                        oh damn ! I didn't notice that!
                                                        So does it mean I am lucky or unlucky ?! ops:

B&W 803S / MF KW-550 /MF A1008 CDP
                                                        Transparent Power Link MM
                                                        CSE RK-100 Power Conditioner / Powersnake Taipan Helix Vx / Arcolink 4030 2m
                                                        AudioNote ANvX Mark II RCA / XLO Limited Edition Mk II RCA
                                                        TAOC PTS-F Spike Plates for 803S / SolidSteel Audio Tables: 6.2x2+1xTable-B / Lynn Skeet Spike Plates for Racks

Comment

• cntlaw
                                                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by c22600
                                                          Hi All,

I just upgraded my 2 channel system …..
                                                          Congrats , a very touchy story for me as I spent my last 6 months struggling with sound tuning of my KW550 and 803S. Your description was pretty close to my experience too.

Incidentally, my neighbor has a SA-11S1 cdp. We did a AB comparision with the A5cd (my previous cdp) and now A1008cd. No offensive, SA11-S1 is a great player, but SA-11S1 2-Ch may become the weak spot in the KW+B&W system.

Personally, I didn't always like the Valve Output stage of the A1008cd sound in my system. Yes, a smoother female vocal but everything else gets flatten and less excited. May be that is because KW550 already a Valve Pre? I found the Solid State Output stage of the A1008cd makes the 803S sound 'quicker' and better 'attacks". So, I would presume A5.5 cdp will do a better match to the KW550.

I am glad to hear your good news of the KW550+803D, as I might be moving to 803D next year and no immediate need to replace the Amp is a very very good news.

The 803S takes at least 1000 hours to burn-in. I played mine a lot in last six months. For normal usage, it should take one year to fully burn-in.

t

TAOC PTS-F Spike Plates for 803S / SolidSteel Audio Tables: 6.2x2+1xTable-B / Lynn Skeet Spike Plates for Racks

Comment

• musical physic
                                                            • Aug 2008

X Series for sale on eBay!

Hi folks,

Selling off my remainder MF X series gear on eBay. All items located in Sydney, Australia.

X-dacV3, X-psuV3, X-canV3 and X-10V3 all with no reserve.

Slowy selling off my 2nd system, with the X RayV3 player and X PreV3 to follow soon.

Cheers,

Daniel

Comment

• stourman
                                                              • Oct 2008

following good advice

Just thought I would follow up to c2's post which guided me on a rather extravagant purchase. I'd been living with my system for some years now, audio analogue CD player, NAD S300 silverline series amp and Monitor Audio Studio 50's, the first incarnation of the true metal dome series, which even Monitor Audio said were difficult to drive. So ten years on and it's time to tread the upgrade path. To be honest I never liked the S 300. Although it is built like a tank and in typical NAD style has a stated modest power rating of 100wpc it has quite a lot of current and is a true twin mono construction. Trouble was that it over-emphasised the base and top end, and with the MA's, this did not make for a good partnership. Then a friend introduced me to Musical Fidelity. I bought the A3.5 to go with some Monitor Audio GR10's that I also had and wow!... was I sold. I subsequently learned that MF test all their equipment with MA speakers so it seemed like a match made in heaven. After a visit from a very naughty five year old, who thought it was great fun to poke in both the Gold tweeters on the Studio 50's...(ugh.. I'd taken the protective grilles out), I persuaded myself that its time to upgrade them rather than the difficulty of getting them repaired, so bought myself some GS60's, which are the same speaker, evolved and improved. Also it was time to shelve the NAD so tried them with the A3.5. Hmm... Good, very good, but not great. I found it a little dry in the upper base, and not particularly what I was expecting. So out came the plastic and home came a new MF A5.5. After running in, it seemed to give the Monitor Audio's the power they deserve. Then I read C2's post.
                                                              Sleepless nights thinking about his description of coming out into the light. Here's someone who should know. One desperate act with credit card and there I was breaking my back, unboxing the monster that is the Musical Fidelity KW550.

It's now one in the morning and I've been going through my music collection since ten this morning, listening to everything as if it's the first time. This combination has the most incredible presence I never thought as possible. It has a soundstage bigger than my house, and lows that are so full, rich and precise that I never thought possible. The Monitor Audio speakers just seem to relish the quality of amplification. Thanks again C2, you were so right, the musical fidelity KW550 is truly and amp to die for, as I probably will, when the wife finds out how much I spent on it.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by stourman
                                                                Just thought I would follow up to c2's post which guided me on a rather extravagant purchase. I'd been living with my system for some years now, audio analogue CD player, NAD S300 silverline series amp and Monitor Audio Studio 50's, the first incarnation of the true metal dome series, which even Monitor Audio said were difficult to drive. So ten years on and it's time to tread the upgrade path. To be honest I never liked the S 300. Although it is built like a tank and in typical NAD style has a stated modest power rating of 100wpc it has quite a lot of current and is a true twin mono construction. Trouble was that it over-emphasised the base and top end, and with the MA's, this did not make for a good partnership. Then a friend introduced me to Musical Fidelity. I bought the A3.5 to go with some Monitor Audio GR10's that I also had and wow!... was I sold. I subsequently learned that MF test all their equipment with MA speakers so it seemed like a match made in heaven. After a visit from a very naughty five year old, who thought it was great fun to poke in both the Gold tweeters on the Studio 50's...(ugh.. I'd taken the protective grilles out), I persuaded myself that its time to upgrade them rather than the difficulty of getting them repaired, so bought myself some GS60's, which are the same speaker, evolved and improved. Also it was time to shelve the NAD so tried them with the A3.5. Hmm... Good, very good, but not great. I found it a little dry in the upper base, and not particularly what I was expecting. So out came the plastic and home came a new MF A5.5. After running in, it seemed to give the Monitor Audio's the power they deserve. Then I read C2's post.
                                                                Sleepless nights thinking about his description of coming out into the light. Here's someone who should know. One desperate act with credit card and there I was breaking my back, unboxing the monster that is the Musical Fidelity KW550.

It's now one in the morning and I've been going through my music collection since ten this morning, listening to everything as if it's the first time. This combination has the most incredible presence I never thought as possible. It has a soundstage bigger than my house, and lows that are so full, rich and precise that I never thought possible. The Monitor Audio speakers just seem to relish the quality of amplification. Thanks again C2, you were so right, the musical fidelity KW550 is truly and amp to die for, as I probably will, when the wife finds out how much I spent on it.

Did you like the A5-5 I got the A5-5 one & i love it.
                                                                2ch Setup
                                                                Krix Neupohonix
                                                                Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                Musical Fidelity M6CDP
                                                                Denon DCD-1510 SACD Player

Cables I Use
                                                                MIT

Comment

• stourman
                                                                  • Oct 2008

don't diss the a5.5

don't get me wrong.. The MF A5.5 is a beautifully capable amp, it has authority, and a wonderful soundstage, with a really quick and deep, almost dry bass. If you love rock/hip hop you will love this amp for this reason. Yet having said that, its absolute precision in the upper mid range makes any live performance recording a treat, and I often got raised eyebrows from visitors when demonstrating this.. (don't forget I have Monitor Audio speakers which also really excel at this...) The MF A5.5 is a great amp, a perfect all rounder, which would have served me well and complimented my system brilliantly. It's just that the kw-550 seems to add a real presence to the listening experience. It's so hard to describe.. I noticed however the following phenomenon.. I live in a three bed detached house, with a large through living room on the ground floor, where the kit is located. Now in the past if I cranked up the volume and went, say upstairs you can hear the music, but of course the lower end is more audible, since the lower frequencies travel through the bricks/mortar easier than the higher frequencies. One could tell there was music in the house but it wasn't a true audiophile experience. This is what amazed me with the kw550.. Crank it up..(carefully) and go to anywhere in the house and its like the system is in the room. There is so much power there it is literally throwing the direct, (as opposed to the indirect) sound straight to my ears. If I come back down into the room, it doesn't sound like its just loud, as it would have to be on my previous amps to reach me in another room. I can't explain it but probably someone much more knowledgeable about sound acoustics may understand. To be honest, I love the a5.5. so much I won't be selling it on e-bay to try and claw back some of the money I spent on the kw-550 (in an attempt to save my marriage), it's such a wonderfully capable amp that I will keep it and build another system around it for another room, although it just begs to go with the Monitor Audio GS20's. Now that would be fun. I'm just grateful that two companies have worked so close together and produced a product partnership, that in my mind pretty much blows everything else out the water. Although the ***£@& ing money I have spent with both of them, they should send me a Christmas card at least!

Comment

• cntlaw
                                                                    • Mar 2008

8 months, I decided to take KW550 instead of the A5.5 which I originally was really after it, that was just after a rather rush AB test with Proac D28 in an awful small studio room of the audio shop. In terms of sound quality and charateristics, I really did not find any major differences between the two. I took the KW550 really because I only guessed I could be on the safe side if I did not know which pair of speakers (D28,803S,803D) I would end up with. (we here do not have the privilege like other countries someone can audition exactly the same set of gear before a buying decision)

Originally, I also wanted to get the Proac D28. An experience audiophile friend of mine was with me in the studio room. He didn't comment so much about the KW550 'cause he is not familair with MF gear. But he did advise me, based on the audition, the power band Proac D28 is a bit 'marginal' for the KW550. So, that was why I later took the 803S, from some comments, it seemed to be a pair of more challenging speakers to drive with.

After 8 months break-in (the total play time actually was 3-4 times of normal usage ), I am convinced the KW500 and 803S are well blended togather. The system is able to produce exciting musical bandwidth almost in any volume settings, impression is like what Stourman pointed out the real added presence. May be there are better matching Amps for the B&W, I was even once thinking seriously about a Krell! But the system's musical result has now convinced me, I can save the money for other things if I am not in a rush to make my system more sophisticated than a clean and sharp intergrated amp like the KW550.

The overall quality of KW550 never really had failed on me. Okay, it heats up quickly, a bit too much now a warm room in tropical country. The Amp's power consumption, my sitting room's air cond electricity bills have been getting more expensive. One little thing is the KW550 volume control from the remote is out of response(disconnected), it happens once every 2 months. Really, I would not want to detach my loved system back to the dealer, instead, just a simple power on/off, everything is back to normal.

I could be a happier man if I had taken the A5.5 and Proac 28, which will save me a lot of money and sticked to a loyal Proac fan. The B&W speakers is definitely giving me a different dimension to enjoy my music over Proac; and all I know, the KW550 did the job nicely.

Thanks Stourman, I enjoyed your post.
                                                                    t

Comment

• musical physic
                                                                      • Aug 2008

To power down or not to?

Hey All,

Just wanting to seek opinions in regards to the topic. Do yous normally leave equipment on or off after use and resaons?

Cheers

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by musical physic
                                                                        Hey All,

Just wanting to seek opinions in regards to the topic. Do yous normally leave equipment on or off after use and resaons?

Cheers
                                                                        hi musical my 2ch a5cr pre & power stay on 24/7 unless going away on holidays. with amps I dont think theres any harm leaving them on. and means theyre ready to go whenever needed. with my previous mf gear and current I found it would take a good 20min for the pre and amp to come up to speed if switched on from cold.

my a5cd stays off and only switch it on when needed. I leave it off to conserve its laser and valve output stage. I listen to vinyl and also watch tv/movies through the same system so no need for the cd player to stay on 24/7.

apart from the warm up required on switchon. there is a theory that switching on/off can be more harmfull to the equipment as most failures usually happen on powering up or down - switching on/off. most components in amps otherwise have a very long life so not a major concern eitherways I dont think which ever way you go.

Comment

• musical physic
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Aug 2008

Hi Al,

Yeah I do excatly the same. Everything left on or standby except for the cd player. Any other users in the forum got any other ideas and care to share your view.

Cheers,

Daniel

Comment

• musical physic
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Aug 2008
                                                                            • 34

More MF gear for sale. Yeah the last lot !

Hi Everybody,

Clearing out my last 2 peices from the 2nd system.

X-PreV3 preamp and an X-RayV3 player on eBay.

Make me an offer if interested.

Cheers,

Daniel

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2008
                                                                              • 311

Hey Daniel here are my pictures of my A5 and my new A5-5 I can not fine the good one i will get back to you
                                                                              Attached Files
                                                                              Last edited by HDBLU; 14 February 2010, 18:27 Sunday.
                                                                              2ch Setup
                                                                              Krix Neupohonix
                                                                              Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                              Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                              MIT

Comment

• musical physic
                                                                                Member
                                                                                • Aug 2008
                                                                                • 34

Hey Kris,

Man oh man does dat screen ever end!?!? ;x(

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Jul 2008
                                                                                  • 311

Originally posted by musical physic
                                                                                  Hey Kris,

Man oh man does dat screen ever end!?!? ;x(
                                                                                  The screen is 10ft 2.35.1 im going for a anamorphic lens in about a years time,

The screen is 12ft now I have made it 2ft bigger

I will send better photo to you tomorrow.

Kris
                                                                                  2ch Setup
                                                                                  Krix Neupohonix
                                                                                  Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                                  Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                                  MIT

Comment

• cntlaw
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Mar 2008
                                                                                    • 80

Originally posted by HDBLU
                                                                                    The screen is 10ft 2.35.1 im going for a anamorphic lens in about a years time,

The screen is 12ft now I have made it 2ft bigger

I will send better photo to you tomorrow.

Kris
                                                                                    Kris
                                                                                    If I have a screen like yours, I won't go to cinema anymore! :T
                                                                                    t

Comment

• Gutty
                                                                                      Junior Member
                                                                                      • Apr 2007
                                                                                      • 18

Hey Daniel here are my pictures I can not fine the good one i will get back to you
                                                                                      Post 840 by any chance ?

Cheers for that A5 pic, it's my current desktop while i await arrival of my new toy... an A5 pre.

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • Jul 2008
                                                                                        • 311

Originally posted by Gutty
                                                                                        Post 840 by any chance ?

Cheers for that A5 pic, it's my current desktop while i await arrival of my new toy... an A5 pre.

Are you Danial under a different user
                                                                                        2ch Setup
                                                                                        Krix Neupohonix
                                                                                        Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                                        Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                                        MIT

Comment

• Gutty
                                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                                          • Apr 2007
                                                                                          • 18

Are you Danial under a different user
                                                                                          Nope, i'd be Matt.

BTW, never mind my previous reply, i see it's the same pic as your last post. ops:

Comment

• HDBLU
                                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                                            • Jul 2008
                                                                                            • 311

Originally posted by Gutty
                                                                                            Nope, i'd be Matt.

BTW, never mind my previous reply, i see it's the same pic as your last post. ops:
                                                                                            I'm taking more update pictures of my setup to day I will post them later

What your setup matt

Regards
                                                                                            Kris
                                                                                            2ch Setup
                                                                                            Krix Neupohonix
                                                                                            Musical Fidelity M6i
                                                                                            Musical Fidelity M6CDP

Cables I Use
                                                                                            MIT

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"