This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nektarios
    • Mar 2006

Guys, be careful with new ebay sellers with 0 feedback selling KW500s and TriVista 300s. I have already reported a fraud on a KW.

Hi Yasvanth, I am glad you read it! Now, do you know what is possible with the approach of buying equipment without knowing how it will sound in the whole system? You buy it expecting to make a difference, but if it doesn't, believe me it's a very big dissapointment. And then you think (not you, generally) that you could have spend the money elsewhere. Personally, the best system matching I found was by listening tests with components I never thought would sound so great... Matching by reviews or comments was never pleasing to my ears. Only interesting...

I am not sure if you try to avoid the tests just in case you get convinced the speakers is the culprit and you love your speakers a lot? But nobody says to sell them or buy others. The idea is to do the tests and find out for real what is the issue. Then you know! Once you know you relax inside, because the thing left is the decision to upgrade or not or when. But, you know what you need/want!

My advice is not to buy blindly a CDP or anything else. By the way, if you take your amps to a SevenOaks and test with other CD players or with your CD player and other speakers, it doesn't mean you are obliged to buy from them. They have this approach, you don't take advantage of them. Of course, if you liked the environment and their help you'll lean more into buying from them and this is what they strive for, and you are happy too.

I don't know what else to say. If you ever come to London, give me a shout and you can come with your CDs and listen to my system too! Only tests can give you the best idea. Just thinking about it for some months, then having a go by buying something, not getting the expected result (which is the most possible if you think about it), brings the worst disapointment and frustration.

I don't dare telling you what CDP to buy! Unless we are in front of you system with 4-5 CD players, speakers etc and then listen and decide! By the way, I just remembered this, and trust me, I don't make it up trying to convince you: a friend was not happy with the sound in his system. He thought the culprit was the CD player as it was an old Techics with not even a Digital out. The speakers where some Mordaunt-Short stand mounts, and the amp a NAD 352 something, but I may be wrong. He lives in Southampton. So I loaded my XRay V3 and the X-150 in the boot and the Monitor Audio S1 on the seats covered in a blanket and went there (I know - few people would do that!). In the beginning we changed the CD player and indeed the sound became more spacious, detail, etc. Then we tried all combinations with my amp, his amp etc. We tested my cables and interconnects. When we had really decided the problem was the CD, I told him, why don't we test the speakers too, since I brought them all the way from London - he left this test for the end as he didn't want to unmount his speakers from the stands with the blue tacks. At that time we had his system connected together. So we put the S1s and what a shock! The system sounded absolutely awsome! We both fell from the sky - we couldn't believe our ears! His old CD was very detailed and smooth (i.e. not edgy) but dynamic, etc. After that test, he knew that he needed speakers, so he was waiting. He read about the new RS6s (I don't promote Monitor Audio, it's just happened), he tried them with his gear in SevenOaks (after the shock we had, testing your gear with what you want to buy is the only sensible thing to do!) he absolutely loved them and bought them. He had to "play" with the position a bit in his room (he moved the speakers a few inches forward and some boominess disappeared) and he is totally happy enjoying his system.

Of course, if you don't feel this shock of uncertainty it's not easy to transmit this feeling just by text.

My only advice is try the SevenOaks with your gear and tell us what you think!

By the way, I had seen your system in a link you had sent with instructions - it looks very cool!

Comment

• Cambs12
      • Jul 2006

Nektarios,you are right to exercise caution with Ebay sellers.I bought my Trivista through Ebay,but communicated directly with the seller by phone,and picked the amp up from him in person,paying in cash having checked the item over.I believe if you follow these safeguards,it can be a good way to avoid dealer's commissions.2 days after i picked it up,i noticed a 'new' listing for a Trivista,with my amp pictured!!
      But take the appropriate security steps,and it could be worthwhile.
      On another note,i notice a dramatic difference in the smoothness and soundstage of my system after several hours powered up.Whilst i am mindful of valve life,i am considering leaving it powered up 24/7.Do any of you guys do this??

Comment

• nektarios
        • Mar 2006

Hi Cambs12.

I have the TriVista 21 DAC that probably has the same valves as your amp. When just switched on the sound is really "dry", tight (but in the sense of non "expandable") bass, and the whole sound has a slight unnatural higher pitch but with no detail as such. After about an hour, the harmonics, sweetness, organic extended bass, open mids, and high frequency detail without the high pitch (unforced, "liquid", free flowing sound) is present. After 3 hours of playing the system sounds excellent to my ears.

Because I work during the largest part of the day, I switch everything off. Usually when I want to listen to music, I sort of "plan" it: I put a CD on "replay disc" mode and do things I have to do in the house, like cook, clean, check the net, etc. When the CD has played full at least once, then I put my chair into position and have my listening sessions!

Comment

• Yasvanth
          • Jun 2006

Musical Fidelity Amplifiers

Originally posted by Cambs12
          Nektarios,you are right to exercise caution with Ebay sellers.I bought my Trivista through Ebay,but communicated directly with the seller by phone,and picked the amp up from him in person,paying in cash having checked the item over.I believe if you follow these safeguards,it can be a good way to avoid dealer's commissions.2 days after i picked it up,i noticed a 'new' listing for a Trivista,with my amp pictured!!
          But take the appropriate security steps,and it could be worthwhile.
          On another note,i notice a dramatic difference in the smoothness and soundstage of my system after several hours powered up.Whilst i am mindful of valve life,i am considering leaving it powered up 24/7.Do any of you guys do this??

Hello Cambs12,

I always keep my MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers powered up 24/7 so I get the best sound out of them, instead of switching them on from cold, and also there is less chance of them breaking down.

Yas :T

Comment

• Cambs12
            • Jul 2006

Thanks guys,i think i will leave the system on for a week,and see if this is a worthwhile idea(dread to think how much juice that Trivista will eat on 24/7!)
            I am also interested in mains conditioning,as i cannot justify at the moment running a seperate power supply to the hifi.I may look at upgrading the power leads to Isotek,or similar,before maybe trialling a mains conditioning unit.Any of you have experience of this? I remember Alebonau not believing it would help,bearing in mind the choke regulation of trivista/A5 series...

Comment

• nektarios
              • Mar 2006

Thanks guys,i think i will leave the system on for a week,and see if this is a worthwhile idea(dread to think how much juice that Trivista will eat on 24/7!)
              I am also interested in mains conditioning,as i cannot justify at the moment running a seperate power supply to the hifi.I may look at upgrading the power leads to Isotek,or similar,before maybe trialling a mains conditioning unit.Any of you have experience of this? I remember Alebonau not believing it would help,bearing in mind the choke regulation of trivista/A5 series...
              Once I had borrowed from SevenOaks in Holborn a Musical Fidelity pre and pow A3.2. One of the guys there gave me the Nordost Shiva to give it a try. The smoothness you mentioned appeared 100% when I connected this cable on the pre-amplifier. There was a very slight improvement on the amp, no way near the huge improvement with the pre. I connected the cable to my TriVista 21 DAC and not only I didn't get any improvement but I didn't like the sound, I don't exactly remember now, but something didn't sound right. No difference in the X-RayV3 player (probably because the digital to analog conversion is done by the DAC21)?

I think you need to know what you are doing with the conditioners, anti-surge, and 3rd party power supplies mainly in relation to your amp. If the match is not good and the amp tries to get loads of amps and the power supply cannot cope, or the conditioner or other component think it's some unnecessary power surge, then your system will loose in dynamics. Also, some conditioners may cause "hum" issues with amp or pre-amp transformers. Of-course there are systems that can live happilly together. So the best thing as always is to test it first if you can.

Personally I like the choke regulated system MF has in place and up to now I love the sound of systems with their own external power supply (MF, Cyrus). But the manufacturer designed those power supplies and conditioners exclusively for their own products, so you can't really go wrong there.

Comment

• Cambs12
                • Jul 2006

Thanks Nektarios,

I will borrow a few leads and a conditioning unit to trial in my system before i take the plunge.Have you considered buying spare Trivista vales from M/F?
                I am thinking about doing this to guarantee the longevity of my amp(tho i know the lifespan of these is supposed to be a considerable period of time).

Comment

• alebonau
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Yasvanth
                  Hello Cambs12,

I always keep my MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers powered up 24/7 so I get the best sound out of them, instead of switching them on from cold, and also there is less chance of them breaking down.

Yas :T
                  I do the same wiht my a5cr pre-power. the a5cd I do switch on and off depending on use, because its valve based. wonder what MF's view is on leaving on/off for these components. the a5cd appears to come up ot speed pretty quick(within minutes).
                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Yasvanth
                    • Jun 2006

Hi Al,

Talking about valve based CD players, does the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifers have valves built inside, or are they solid state?

I use a VDH Mainsstream cable that I was lucky to buy through Ebay and that is connected to my A5cr Power amp, and boy can I feel the power of the music. The only drawback is that it is as thick as a garden hose pipe and quite heavy.

Happy Listening ! 8)

Yas

Comment

• nektarios
                      • Mar 2006

Thanks Nektarios,

I will borrow a few leads and a conditioning unit to trial in my system before i take the plunge.Have you considered buying spare Trivista vales from M/F?
                      I am thinking about doing this to guarantee the longevity of my amp(tho i know the lifespan of these is supposed to be a considerable period of time).
                      Yes, it will be interesting to hear your findings.

Actually I read everywhere that MF has bought all remaining supplies of tri-vista and nu-vista valves but the reason they make only a limited number of Tri-vista dacs/amps or Nu-vista CDs etc is because they keep something like 2 X replacements for the valve components in case something goes wrong. Up to now, there was no failure reported.

Would replacing valves be easy though? I don't think it's as straighforward as in some other systems (tube rolling?), like "Plug and Play"! I may be wrong though...

Comment

• alebonau
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Hi Al,

Talking about valve based CD players, does the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifers have valves built inside, or are they solid state?

I use a VDH Mainsstream cable that I was lucky to buy through Ebay and that is connected to my A5cr Power amp, and boy can I feel the power of the music. The only drawback is that it is as thick as a garden hose pipe and quite heavy.

Happy Listening ! 8)

Yas
                        hi yas the a5cd has mu-vista valves on the output stage, but the A5cr pre & pwr are pure solid state, no valves in the design.

Comment

• alebonau
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by nektarios
                          Yes, it will be interesting to hear your findings.

Actually I read everywhere that MF has bought all remaining supplies of tri-vista and nu-vista valves but the reason they make only a limited number of Tri-vista dacs/amps or Nu-vista CDs etc is because they keep something like 2 X replacements for the valve components in case something goes wrong. Up to now, there was no failure reported.

Would replacing valves be easy though? I don't think it's as straighforward as in some other systems (tube rolling?), like "Plug and Play"! I may be wrong though...
                          hi nektarious I understand the tri-vista, nu-vista and the mu-vista valves are all mil-spec valves with extremely long life. Infact from what I've read are designed to go the life of the products. you are right regardless that and I've read that too that mf have a good stock of the tubes for replacement and do a limited run on these tube based products to ensure if a customer ever has a problem they have stock to replace.

ps if keen on spare valves for trivista or nu-vista range products keep an even on ebay they do pop up now and then.

Comment

• Cambs12
                            • Jul 2006

I may buy a spare set just incase they ever run out.I live only a couple of hours from their factory,so would take the amp there in person to get them replaced if it ever was necessary.Wouldn't look forward to lifting my Trivista tho,almost gave me a hernia lifting it into the bottom shelft of my rack,with about 1cm spare clearance either side,desperate not to mark it! I wonder if they ever do factory visits,would be an interesting thing to try and organise for the UK and visiting members on this forum...I know Linn and Naim have done visits in the past.

Comment

• alebonau
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Oct 2005

~ I wonder if they ever do factory visits,would be an interesting thing to try and organise for the UK and visiting members on this forum...I know Linn and Naim have done visits in the past.
                              that would be a great thing cambs, wish I lived a few hours from the factory. would be around there in a flash hehe. if you do and if they let you take some pics do post for the rest of us aroudn the world that cant get there. would love a look see.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                • Jul 2006

If i did manage to organise something,i am sure they would not let us photo the 'future new product' coming in may!!

Comment

• nektarios
                                  • Mar 2006

I've been to their office and probably production line (in Wembley) from the bits and pieces I could see as employees would open and close a door. It looked like a proper factory.

So cambs12, do you live in UK then?

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                    • Jun 2006

Hi

Can somebody advise me on the best speaker cable that will be suitable for my MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers?

Thanks
                                    Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Oct 2005

Hi

Can somebody advise me on the best speaker cable that will be suitable for my MF A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers?

Thanks
                                      Yas
                                      is there such a thing Yas?. best for one may not be best for someone else for a whole host of reasons. one mans wine is to someone else vinegar.

best thing you can do is venture into dealers and ask to borrow some sets to try out at home. most dealers have cable sets made up for their own demoing and usually happy to lend for you to check out.

Comment

• Cambs12
                                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by nektarios
                                        I've been to their office and probably production line (in Wembley) from the bits and pieces I could see as employees would open and close a door. It looked like a proper factory.

So cambs12, do you live in UK then?
                                        Hi Nektarios,i live in cambridgeshire.hence the option to go to the factory if i need to buy replacement valves or get work done if it is an option.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                          • Jun 2006

Hi MF Members,

I am using a Michell Gyrodec/ QC Power Supply/ Rega RB300 Tonearm and Goldring GX1012 cartridge. Do you think this is a very good match with my MF A5cr Pre&Pwr amps?

P.S Is there anybody else who is also using Michell Record Decks with MF amplifiers, also what sort of tonearm and cartridge are you using?

Thanks
                                          Yas
                                          Last edited by Yasvanth; 23 February 2007, 07:47 Friday.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                            • Jun 2006

Hi Chaps,

Just one more thing, is there a difference in sound quality between the MF A5 Integrated and the A5cr Pre&Pwr Amps?

Has anybody had the chance to demo and compare the the two amplifiers?

Yas

Comment

• johnecuevas
                                              • Feb 2007

Hi MF Club members

Since I'm living outside of the UK, I have limited option to audition Musical Fidelity's range of amplifiers. Recently however, I managed to audition the new X-T100 integrated tubed amplifier (launched in 2006) and find it does produce "sweet", "tasty", "clean", "unforced", "natural", "musical" sound. I love the high and mid, but I can sense they sound thin and lack openess. Thought the amp would need to improve on the low frequency, hoping this would be improved, while at the same time maintaining the quality of high and mid, without compromising each other.

Right now, I am looking at the solid-state A3.5 integrated amplifier (launch in 2004) however I have not audition the A3.5 amp yet. So i dunno if this amp could produce "sweet", "tasty", "clean", "unforced", "natural", "musical" sound or being out-performed by the newer X-T100. I'm considering the tubed X-T100 and solid-state A3.5 integrated amplifier as Musical Fidelity cost-effective entry into the high-end audio. Would appreciate if anyone has audition both the X-T100 and A3.5 integrated to voice your "apple to apple" comparison on the sound quality of these models on a good CD player and good speaker system ~ thanks.

Regards, Johne.

Following is an example of the comparison made by Knyght_byte on 30-01-2006 in http://www.avforums.com/forums/archi.../t-298163.html

Arcam A90: timing a little slow, reasonable bass control, treble not bad, lack of snap to midbass, vocals tame

Arcam A90+P90: timing spot on, very good bass control, but with a predeliction to try and control some bass wrongly, wants to tighten it up when its supposed to be crumbly sounding, Joss stone MBS album track 9 good example. treble very nice and sweet, still a minor lack of snap to midbass, vocals better but still missing that sense of in the roomness

Arcam FMJ A32: timing good, bass control similar to A90+P90 combo, not quite so overcontrolling on crumbly bass, but still doing it. treble nice and sweet, still lacking that snap to midbass but better than A90+P90, vocals very nice, bit more airiness

Musical Fidelity A3.5: timing spot on, bass control exactly what i wanted, lets that bass crumble and bounce! treble gorgeous, held massive shostakovich climax without fault at staggering volume level. Snap? Snap? it was like playing cards with a 5 year old! hot damn, those midbass drums just tearing the skin......vocals perfect, airy, sweet, controlled, grabbing all the nuances of voice and letting you hear them.

Musical Fidelity X-T100: ?
                                              Last edited by johnecuevas; 25 February 2007, 07:07 Sunday.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Oct 2005

Interestign to read re the xt100 john. no experience here with the xt100 sorry john as not released here in oz yet, but looks liek a very interesting number.

re the mf a3.5 I think its a sensational little integrated. I reckon it gives a good portion of the A5 integrated's goodness. And depending on the speakers your running if say a bookshelf or small floorstander. It might be perfectly well suited to the job.

your best option is to try seek one out for a demo, perhaps same place that you got hold of a xt100 from.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                  • Jun 2006

Hello Johne,

What part of the world are you from?
                                                  I totally agree with you about the Arcam amps lacking that big poweful snap, but do have great vocal qualities. I used to have the Arcam Diva A85 & P85 amps, but just felt they sounded lean and a touch weak when the drums came in. I sold them and got the A5 Pre and Pwr from Ebay and the sound, well when the drums explode into the room oh boy !

Can you explain to me what this crumbly bass is with the Arcam amps?
                                                  My advice is, if you get the chance, do audition the MF A3.5 but also compare it with the A5, and see what you think. Also keep a note of what CD players , Speakers, interconnects and spk cables the hifi dealer was using during the audition as these all count when choosing your dream sound system with care.

After I had purchased the MF A5cr Pre & Pwr I have never regretted it except my system does sound a bit smooth, this is due to using smooth sounding spks, which are the Kef Ref 1:2. So try not use the amplifiers with speakers which sound a touch smooth and you wont go far wrong.

Happy Listening
                                                  Yas

Comment

• nektarios
                                                    • Mar 2006

Hi johnecuevas.

You don't tell us with what CD player and what speakers you tried the X-T100. Usually manufacturers have their CD + amp complement each other and MF is definitely one of them.

I have the previous X models (X-RayV3 and the X-150) connected on a pair of Monitor Audio S6s. The CD player goes for "politenes" with extended highs and lows while the X-150 amp provides the slam. I home demoed the new X-series and connected my X-Ray V3 with X-T100: the sound was very weird and lethargic! The system sounded like retarded! When I connected the X-T100 with X-Ray V8, the familiar big MF sound re-appeared but with crystal clear highs and mids,and lots of bass. So most probably the roles must be reversed in the new series (X-T100 going for extension like my X-RayV3).

About the base, I certenaly did not find it lean at all. As a matter of fact it was rather strong I would say, and a bit annoying; I couldn't enjoy the music. I took my CDs with me, and when I returned the units I connected them to the new Monitor Audio RS6, some B&W (sorry don't remember specific model now) and the KEF IQ5. The strong "annoying" base was evident on all speakers except the IQ5. But then, when I changed to a different music the IQ5s sounded completely anaemic and boring.

I am not sure if the X-100 was run-in or not though. I hope this helps.

Comment

• johnecuevas
                                                      • Feb 2007

Well the setup was : A3.5 CD player > Vandenhul interconnect > tubed X-T100 > Vandenhul speaker cable > Dynaudio bookshelf. These demo units were previously burnt-in before I audition them. What I'm looking for is that "sweetness" and "tastiness" of the sound of amplifiers. If you have "experienced" these before you will understand what I mean. I'm not sure overall whether the tubed X-T100 or A3.5 integrated sounded better in comparison. Pls note that X-T100 has external power supply while the A3.5/A5 has internal power supply which might theoretically affect delicate circuitry. But who cares whether it's internal or external as long as it sounds good. I dunno when the A3.5 or A5 integrated stock will be available but would welcome anyone who has auditioned these to voice your experience of the "sweetness" of X-T100 vs A3.5 and why not, A3.5 vs A5 integrated.

Far East, Johne.

Comment

• alebonau
                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                        • Oct 2005

a3.5 vs a5 I can tell you about. depends on your speakers. with your dyn bookshelf difference might be less than on a floorstander.

sound charecter wise I think very similar. the A5 just digs deeper in detail and dynamics I think. all that not to say hte a3.5 is any slouch. very capable integrated with your bookshelf it might do a perfectly adeqaute job for your needs with the a5 not providing heaps more for the money. only you can decide if going for the A5 over the a3.5 si worth it or for that mattter whether to choose the xt100.

Comment

• nektarios
                                                          • Mar 2006

Hi Johnecuevas,

I think I can "sense" the kind of sound you are describing; I have tubes too in my system: the X-RayV3 goes through TriVista 21 DAC and then to X-150. The sound through the DAC is like night and day: rich harmonics, appropriate bass that gives ambient information and makes the instruments sound real, separation, and this free flowing, "liquid" sound with dynamics, loads of detail but not because the sound is leaner, amazingly natural mids, no edginess, and yet sweet and big sound.

However, at the end of the day I think the sweet sound depends on the ratio of base, mids, and treble. Which component determines all these? All of them!

Personally I advise you to first listen or home demo the same model of an amp and CD player (even if you don't want to buy a new CD player) to get a feel of the "reference" sound the manufacturer intended. Unfortunately I haven't heard the A3.5 CD, but the tubed A5 sounds like my CD+DAC with the DAC set to 192 KHz upsampling. I found my CD "incompatible" sound wise with the X-T100, so if A3.5 CD has the same sonic signature as my CD, then it's quite possible that you haven't heard the MF sound yet! With your X-T100 you need the XRayV8.

Once you get an idea, then you can mix and match speakers and try your CD player too.

You said you have limited audition chances, but make it a priority to demo if you want to get the sound you want - based on assumptions or reviews I was always finding the results interesting but not pleasing to my ears. The sound that I like now I found it completely accidentally - I was not expecting it!

By the way, with my system and Monitor Audios S6 and GR20s my experience with A5 was not pleasant at all! In other systems it may be perfect, but in mine the sound was too thin and edgy (almost jumping behind the sofa)...

You seem to know what you want, so good luck in making it reality!

Comment

• AlanB
                                                            • Nov 2006

Hi Cambs12
                                                            I use an upgraded Nu Vista M5 with a much upgraded A5 CDP. As far as power blocks are concerned try an Experience Filtration 6 way Ultimate Block. He is a one man band but his products are awesome with MF stuff. The block cost £200 and loves the Nu Vista. It didn't like my now departed AVI at all!! EF reckoned the AVI had some sort of inbuilt filtration and his block was overkill. His solid carbon cables inside the Nu Vista and as interconnect between CD and Amp are a revelation.
                                                            Beauty is in everything but not seen by everyone

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                              • Jul 2006

Hi Alan,

Thanks for the info,i will definitely look into these products,do you have a website or contact for experience filtration?
                                                              Solid carbon cables sounds interesting!

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                • Jun 2006

Record Deck Forum

Hello

Does anybody know whether the HT Guide Forum has threads on Record decks from members?

Thanks
                                                                Yas

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                  • Jul 2006

Hi Yas,

Can't find one,probably worth starting your own thread,i'm sure it would get a lot of interest.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jun 2006

Hi Cambs,

Any ideas how I can begin this?

Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                                      • Oct 2005

check here in audio hideout

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jun 2006

Hi Al,

Thanks. You have a Rega P25 Anniversary record deck don't you?
                                                                        What sort of tonearm, cartridge and records do you normally listen to?
                                                                        How does the Rega P25 sound when connected to your MF A5cr Pre phono stage? :T

Record Revival!
                                                                        The reason i asked this is, I have a Michell Gyrodec/QC Pwr supply and I was wondering whether you have ever listened to a Linn Sondek LP12 or a Roksan Xerxes 10 and if so, what do you think of there sound ?

Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                                          • Oct 2005

Hi Al,

Thanks. You have a Rega P25 Anniversary record deck don't you?
                                                                          What sort of tonearm, cartridge and records do you normally listen to?
                                                                          How does the Rega P25 sound when connected to your MF A5cr Pre phono stage? :T

Record Revival!
                                                                          The reason i asked this is, I have a Michell Gyrodec/QC Pwr supply and I was wondering whether you have ever listened to a Linn Sondek LP12 or a Roksan Xerxes 10 and if so, what do you think of there sound ?

Yas
                                                                          hi yas, I do own the rega p25 indeed. I love its soudn and its simplicity of design ie easy to setup etc nothign complicated about it. it is a stock deck with rega special aniversary arm and I use a ortofon mc10 supreme which I went for on advice of my dealer that would be the minimum befitting a deck of this type to do it justice and was audibly a step better than the mm rega stylus that typically come with this deck.

for phono stage I am using the internal a5 pre's built in mc phono stage. I was quite suprised by the improvement it provided over the outboard xlps phon stage I was previously using. I have nto tried any other cartridges or phono stages since purchase.

I indeed heard a linn lp12 with a very expensive cartridge - same price as the deck ! it sounded superb re-affirming my love for vinyl. I prefer the build/quality of my rega and the ease of setup vs the linn. but without comparing with the rega on hte same system could not say which is better. the linn though performed very well !

roksan xerrxes I have not heard for too many years. A fine made deck is what I remember of it with a competant sound but never listend to it vs anythign else to make any comparitive comment.

I'd like ot try a higher end stylus on my p25 at some stage as with other phono stages to check the benfit/effect.

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jun 2006
                                                                            • 403

A5 CDP, A5cr PRE & A5cr PWR Amps For Sale

Hello Everbody,

I got some cracking news to tell you chaps. This is probably one of the best deals going. There is a guy who is selling his MF A5 system. That is the A5 CD Player, A5cr Pre Amp and A5cr Pwr amp. It is only a year old can you believe it. I bet your all wondering how much the whole lot is well wait for it, it is £2400 and it is being sold on Ebay UK.
                                                                            He has all the original packing boxes , remotes, and manuals.

These sought of items very rarely come up on Ebay UK let alone the entire A5 system. So if anyones interested it's up for the taking. I would have bought it but I already have the A5cr Pre & Pwr amps.

Good Luck!
                                                                            Yas
                                                                            Last edited by Yasvanth; 03 March 2007, 12:40 Saturday. Reason: missed out a coma

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Jul 2006
                                                                              • 191

Hi Yas,

I saw this also,it could be a cracking deal for someone.I would make sure tho to pay cash on collection tho,apart from that,and hearing it working,it could be nearly fifty percent off...
                                                                              Frustratingly,i see a KW550 for sale,3 months old,3k instead of 5.5k,and just down the road from me in Cambridge.Now,where has my wife hidden my bank cards..? :cry:

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Jun 2006
                                                                                • 403

Hi

I know, it's tough being a hifi enthusiast !

Yas :W

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                  • Oct 2005
                                                                                  • 992

if was for sale seems to have dissapeard. chinese pirates ?

with any ebay sales of mf stuff best to go check out in person rather than get too excited. keep in mind too if its too good to be rue it generally is !

Comment

• Cambs12
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Jul 2006
                                                                                    • 191

You're absolutely right Al,

My trivista i bought off someone from Ebay,i had several phone conversations with them,then went to pick it up in person.Turns out the guy was extremely helpful,and the Trivista was 'budget' as far as the other systems in his house are concerned!!

I would never contemplate anything except the above method of buying if using Ebay or the like.

One site i wish we had for this country,is 'Audiogon.com' the American hifi classifieds site.Again,i would want all the security checks i put in place for buying,but it seems a great way to pick up the gear you are searching for.
                                                                                    It's also good for looking at pictures of Hi-fi in domestic situations,like the B&W forum 'Pictures of your setup' on this site,so you can show your wife the B&W 802d 'daleks' you wish to purchase as a treat for your trivista,and then your wife can say 'No Chance!!' :lol:

I have e-mailed Audiogon asking them if they would set up the site for UK ads,but no reply yet.... I know this is slightly off-thread,but you do see lots of Musical Fidelity kit on there..

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • Jun 2006
                                                                                      • 403

Hello Cambs12,

Yeah I also saw that, and I was just gobsmacked for words. Just think after spending £5k on a amp and only owning it for 3 months this chap decides to sell it all because his car dealer has given him an offer that he cannot refuse. Come on! this guy must be some sort of millionaire!

I think some people have just too much of money now a days!

Cheers
                                                                                      Yas

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                        • Oct 2005
                                                                                        • 992

yas and other a5cr power amp owners. heres a few pictures of some "under the hood" shots if ever wonder what was under the lid of this very excellent power amp !
                                                                                        Attached Files

Comment

• Yasvanth
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jun 2006
                                                                                          • 403

Thanks For The Photos

Hello Alebonau,

Thanks you very much for the photos. I always used to wonder what the inside of the A5cr Pwr amp looked like. Before I saw your photos I could only see a tiny bit of the layout through the grills of the top lid.
                                                                                          Also I never new, that the A5cr Pwr amp only had one transformer I thought with all that power of 415 watts that it may have had dual transformers. Also I didn't know it was located right in the centre but in the back part of the amp.

These photos that you have taken, are they the actual photos of your own A5cr Pwr Amp?

I will also be very grateful if could post a couple of photos of the inside of the A5cr Pre amp. I'm sure a lot of people including myself would be quite interested to see the design and layout of the A5 Pre?

p.s Just one more thing Al, have your A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers got matching serial numbers on the back, if it has that's excellent, because then that means that they were produced at exactly the same time to work together so you will get far better sound than an A5cr amps with different serial numbers ?
                                                                                          Cheers
                                                                                          Yas
                                                                                          Last edited by Yasvanth; 04 March 2007, 13:13 Sunday. Reason: Missed out a few words

Comment

• alebonau
                                                                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                                                                            • Oct 2005
                                                                                            • 992

Hello Alebonau,

Thanks you very much for the photos. I always used to wonder what the inside of the A5cr Pwr amp looked like. Before I saw your photos I could only see a tiny bit of the layout through the grills of the top lid.
                                                                                            Also I never new, that the A5cr Pwr amp only had one transformer I thought with all that power of 415 watts that it may have had dual transformers. Also I didn't know it was located right in the centre but in the back part of the amp.

These photos that you have taken, are they the actual photos of your own A5cr Pwr Amp?

I will also be very grateful if could post a couple of photos of the inside of the A5cr Pre amp. I'm sure a lot of people including myself would be quite interested to see the design and layout of the A5 Pre?

p.s Just one more thing Al, have your A5cr Pre & Pwr amplifiers got matching serial numbers on the back, if it has that's excellent, because then that means that they were produced at exactly the same time to work together so you will get far better sound than an A5cr amps with different serial numbers ?
                                                                                            Cheers
                                                                                            Yas
                                                                                            hi yas, power amps dont necessarily always use dual transformers this has one but quite liekly with multiple windings given the number of cables that come of it. the max power consumption of the a5 power is 750W so transformer will be atleast as big as that and looks a nice big heavy thing so quite adequate for its 250wpc ouput which is genuine as was tested by hfnr. what is great to note is the two chokes for power filteration/regulation that that can be seen it has for each channel.

not pics of my own pwr amp yas and no wont be opening up my pre its inside the cainet behind glass and all hooked up so wont be pulling that one out. also the a5 range has a wole bundle of screws to remove to take the lid off. have to leave you guess in on that one.

not sure on the serial no thing yas, do not know how mf manufactuer. I would seriously doubt they make matching pairs more likely to produce each item to a spec and QA&QC to make sure they meet required spec.

Comment

Working...
                                                                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                            Search Result for "|||"