X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kiki
    • Sep 2004

1068 setup

Hi,

Can I know how you setup your 1068 for 705 and htm7? speaker size, delay, frequency, and ect. What analog and digital cable you use to connect your dvd, tv, amp, and others.

New rotel 1068 owner
    Kiki ops:
  • nyny
    • Jul 2004

kiki--i have the following setup,

home theater = connecting denon 2900 and rsp-1068 via coax cable
    speaker size = small
    delay = you have to measure the speaker distance for your own setup
    frequency = 80

stereo = connecting rcd-1072 and 1068 via analog cable
    speaker size/frequency = not really relevent since 1068's direct bypass mode will send full range signal to the front speakers. even though the 705s does not go as low floorstanding speakers, they do sound pretty good in stereo.

hope this helps...
    Tony

Comment

• kiki
      • Sep 2004

Thanks nyny, I'll try it and if I have more questions, I'll post again.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Kiki,

If you want to use the subwoofer or Dolby Prologic II Music (I know I know) then I recommend you also use a really good digital coax between the RCD-1072 and thr RSP-1068 - I have mine to a separate input so I cal select CD or CD Analog but selecting different devices...

Bottom line as sood at you have any sound mode other than Analog Bypass the RSP-1068 has to re-digitise the analog signal - It's DAC's a pretty good so if you give it the ditigal signal as well (fed by a good cable) you can get great results for any listenning where you want the bass to boogie!

I have found Doug's (from CatCable) Silver Digital Coax to be amazing - as have many others - try THIS THREAD

Geoff

Comment

• kiki
          • Sep 2004

Aussie, I'm not really understand what you saying, sorry, I'm really new in the Hifi things.

Question - I connect ps2 and vcd player by 'interconnection' (red, white and yellow), and I connect the 1068 to the tv by 's-video' connection. But the tv show no image from ps2 and vcd player. then I use 1 interconnection cable (yellow), it works. If I use 's-video' to connect 1068 to tv, I have to use 's-video' to connect all players to the 1068 is it?

What should I set on the contour? Should I set anything on the "other" in the menu? In the "speaker" setup, what should I do in the "advance"?

Comment

• kiki
            • Sep 2004

nyny, when I set my front 705 to small, there is no bass at all, I set to large, the bass is better.

What is bypass? Do I have to do anything to bypass it?

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
              Super Senior Member
              • Oct 2003

Kiki,

when I set my front 705 to small, there is no bass at all, I set to large, the bass is better.
              Do you have a subwoofer?

If you don't then you must set your speakers to LARGE or the Bass will have nowhere to go.

If you do, then you need to make sure that the subwoofer volume is set right. Ideally you do this with a SPL meter. If you dont have one, try turning up the volume on the sub very gently and listenning to music until you like the sound...

Question - I connect ps2 and vcd player by 'interconnection' (red, white and yellow), and I connect the 1068 to the tv by 's-video' connection. But the tv show no image from ps2 and vcd player. then I use 1 interconnection cable (yellow), it works. If I use 's-video' to connect 1068 to tv, I have to use 's-video' to connect all players to the 1068 is it?
              If your TV has Component inputs (three cables blue, green and red) then the RSP-1068 will convert all othe inputs (composite - red, white and yellow) and S-VIdeo to Component - so you may wish to get a component cable...

If your TV doesn't have component inputs - then you will need to run both a Composite (red white and yellow) and a S-Video cable from the RSP-1068 to the TV and it should work fine.

What should I set on the contour? Should I set anything on the "other" in the menu? In the "speaker" setup, what should I do in the "advance"?
              Contour - NO don't use it set Defeat = ON - Contour will adjust the bass or treble up an down a little - but 99% of people don't need this.
              Other Options - Have a look at page 39 of your RSP-1069 manual - this explains all the settings on this menu. You may find it useful to do things such as:
              • Set the TURN ON VOLUME to your preference
              • Control the VOLUME SPEED (I recommend SLOW for fine 1 dB adjustments
              • Specify how you want the RSP-1068 to recover from a power outage
              • Control Whether or not you want On Screen Display (OSD) active
              • Etc

I suggest that now you have had the RSP-1068 for a while you read the manual very carefully again - it will make more sense... It shows you how to do al the connections and answers (in its way) all the questions you have above as well as many more...

Geoff

Comment

• nyny
                • Jul 2004

hehe....Aussie Geoff beat me to it....then again, I couldn't have given you a better answer than what Aussie Geoff had already posted.

Regarding Stereo Bypass mode for 1068, under such mode, you will be using the DAC of your source (i.e. CD player or DVD player) instead of the pre/pro. 1068 will do nothing to the signal from your source and pass it directly to the amp. Since the DAC in the RCD-1072 is better than the DAC in the 1068 (both according to Rotel rep and to my ears), I decided to use the Stereo Bypass for stereo listening (i.e. connecting the CD player to the pre/pro via analog cables).

Definitely read the manual carefully and try to play around with different settings.....after all, tweaking is part of the fun for the AV hobby. Good luck! :T
                Tony

Comment

• Micke.H
                  • Sep 2004

It's DAC's a pretty good so ....

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                  Kiki,

If you want to use the subwoofer or Dolby Prologic II Music (I know I know) then I recommend you also use a really good digital coax between the RCD-1072 and thr RSP-1068 - I have mine to a separate input so I cal select CD or CD Analog but selecting different devices...

Bottom line as sood at you have any sound mode other than Analog Bypass the RSP-1068 has to re-digitise the analog signal - It's DAC's a pretty good so

Geoff
                  How good are the DAC`s at the 1068 ?
                  Compared to ex 1098 or my Pioneer 668?

Comment

• kiki
                    • Sep 2004

IS RCA=COMPONENT=INTERCONNECTION (they are all 3-3 connection), some is red, white, yellow, some is red, blue, green.

what about digital component? it look the same as the cable above, but in a single run.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                      • May 2003

Hey Kiki,
                      RCA refers to the ends on the cable. That's a RCA connector. (named after the company that invented them i guess).
                      A Component Video cable should be red/blue/green.
                      Look for these similarly coloured inputs on the back of your TV or Display to see if you have them (Hopefully).

The Other cable (red/white/yellow) was an older cable designed for people with older displays that don't have either 'Component in' or 'S-video in'. The Yellow one supplies the picture, while the red and white cables are for sound (left/right speakers)
                      This older cable won't work as a component cable because the red and white portion on it were only designed to carry sound.

Digital Component? Hmm. Do you mean Digital Coaxial? Most Digital Coaxial cables actually have orange ends on them. Single line. I tried using a regular audio rca cable for it once and it didn't work. it has to be a 75ohm resistance cable. You should be able to find a Digital Coaxial cable pretty easily. There's lots to choose from lately.

Good Luck,
                      Hope it helps,
                      Mikey

P.S. assuming you have the 1068 connected up to the TV with component cables, the 1068 should be able to convert the other signals coming in.
                      the basic rule of thumb is:
                      Composite = yellow rca = ok picture
                      S-video = round multi-pin cable = good picture
                      Component = 3 rca red/gree/blue = better picture

keep in mind the source of the video acts as a bottleneck and will determine its quality.
                      example: a yellow composite cable (ps2) going through the 1068, then to the TV (via component) still equals an ok picture.

P.P.S. I'm pretty sure the 1068 only converts:
                      Composite->Component
                      S-Vid -> Component

I don't think it can convert
                      composite->s-video

I did find this though that should work nicely if your systems are all S-video based:
                      Mad Catz is the legendary brand for gaming peripherals and accessories, including mice, keyboards, headsets, controllers and mouse pads.
                      "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                      -Dark Helmet

Comment

• kiki
                        • Sep 2004

what cable should I use to connect the 1075 and 1068? 5 x RCA (front L/R + rear L/R + center)

Comment

• nyny
                          • Jul 2004

Kiki>> yes, you will need 5 RCA cables to connect the 1068 to the 1075.
                          Tony

Comment

• kiki
                            • Sep 2004

I connected my ps2 using s-video to the 1068 and 1068 to tv using component. Why it's no colour? I both pal and ntsc no different. did I miss out anything, or what's wrong?

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
                              • May 2003

Hmm.
                              Ya that sounds weird.
                              maybe someone can suggest a good video setting.
                              wasn't there some talk about Colour not coming through the 1068/1098 when a certain setting wasn't set right in the menu? Something about Progressive settings?
                              you should also try to figure out if you need firmware upgrades too.
                              a lot of hassle, i know, but its better to spend some time and set things up correctly the first time around.
                              Cheers and good luck.
                              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
                              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• kiki
                                • Sep 2004

what is the "RS 232 Protocols" do I need them ? and the "IR library"?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

If you aren't getting colour but are seeing the image check and recheck the input cables as it sounds like one of them is loose.

RS232 is simply a protocol that allows different gear to talk to each other over a serial cable...in other words don't worry about it unless you want to get into automation and other custom set up's

Comment

• hash
                                    • Feb 2005

No output in Stereo Mode

I'm using all digital sources (CD Player, DVD audiom, iPod, Phono w/ preamp)
                                    and can't seem to get any signal out of the 1068 unless I use Bypass Mode
                                    under the 2CH option. My concern is that there may be something wrong with my 1068 - IE, it's ADC is not working.

For those of you with a 1068, if you are running an analog source into your CD
                                    (or Tape or Receiver or, any channel set to Analog for that matter) input, when
                                    you set the Mode to 2CH > Stereo, do you get some sound? I've been through the manual and search a bunch of threads, but haven't yet called into Rotel.

Just want to check and see if there's some master setting to enable/disable the
                                    ADC with Analog inputs.... If not, then maybe there is actually something wrong with my Rotel... Please respond soon so I know to return this or get it repaired.

Hash.

Comment

• soundhound
                                      • Mar 2004

From main menu, select input sub-menu, as you scroll through these you can assign peripherals (dvd, cd, tuner) to inputs, then select the type of inputs. Have you done all of this? You're choices for inputs are coaxial, optical, or analog.

Comment

• Kyle
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by hash
                                        and can't seem to get any signal out of the 1068 unless I use Bypass Mode
                                        under the 2CH option. My concern is that there may be something wrong with my 1068 - IE, it's ADC is not working.

For those of you with a 1068, if you are running an analog source into your CD
                                        (or Tape or Receiver or, any channel set to Analog for that matter) input, when
                                        you set the Mode to 2CH > Stereo, do you get some sound? I've been through the manual and search a bunch of threads, but haven't yet called into Rotel.

Just want to check and see if there's some master setting to enable/disable the
                                        ADC with Analog inputs.... If not, then maybe there is actually something wrong with my Rotel... Please respond soon so I know to return this or get it repaired.

Hash.
                                        Hash, i had this very same problem with my 1068 when i got it. No matter what kind of input i connected (ipod via cd, dvd via optical, cable via analog inputs), i never got any sound unless I was in bypass mode. I called up my dealer, and he had rotel send out a new one.
                                        My gear

Comment

• hash
                                          • Feb 2005

Clarification...

In my original post[below]....

Originally Posted by hash

and can't seem to get any signal out of the 1068 unless I use Bypass Mode.....

I mis-typed and said 'digital'.... Rather, I meant ANALOG sources, not digital, in reference to what sources I was running into my 1068.

Just want to make sure anyone using this thread has the correct information about my problem and solution.....

Thanks Kyle! I guess I'll call the dealer up and get it resolved that way. I thought there was something I was missing. Apparently, I just have a multi-thousand dollar channel switcher sitting in my living room.

Hash

Comment

• hash
                                            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Kyle
                                            Hash, i had this very same problem with my 1068 when i got it. No matter what kind of input i connected (ipod via cd, dvd via optical, cable via analog inputs), i never got any sound unless I was in bypass mode. I called up my dealer, and he had rotel send out a new one.

Kyle,
                                            It appears you're also in NYC. Which dealer did you use?

Comment

• Kyle
                                              • Jan 2005

I actually bought mine through the Camera Shop of Hanover (NH). I've dealt with the Stereo Exchange before, and that's what lead me to seek another Rotel dealer
                                              My gear

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"