X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alkaline6
    • Nov 2003

RSP-1068 setup

I've been using my RSP-1068 for about 5 months now. I would like to try tweaking my setup but am not sure where to start. I am using B&W 703 / HTM7 / DS7 speakers. My current configuration includes the following:
    - all speakers are set to small with the crossover freq. of 60 / 60 / 100 hz. where the speaker freq. ranges are 38 - 25 K / 50 - 25 K / 80 - 22 K respectively

My listening habits are:
    - DVD's
    - LP's in stereo bypass mode
    - CD's in 2-ch stereo mode
    - SACD / DVD-A in MultiInput mode

I would like to accomplish the following:
    - DVD's are great
    - CD's / LP's - pump up the bass
    - SACD / DVD-A - the MultiInput calibration for the DVD player cannot set the bass level high enough. Can this be compensated for with the RSP-1068?

Thanks in advance.

Don
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

Alkaline6,
    SACD / DVD-A - the MultiInput calibration for the DVD player cannot set the bass level high enough. Can this be compensated for with the RSP-1068?
    Yes in the SUBWOOFER set-up menu you can vary the subwoofer up or down up to 9 db for the Multi-imput as well as other sound modes.

CD's / LP's - pump up the bass
    If you use bypass (no sub) you can't since the stereo sound is untouched. However if you use any mode that digitises the sound (e.g. STEREO) then you can also vary the bass by the same technque of the SUBWOFFER set-up menu.

Geoff

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Just to add to what Geoff said, if you do digitize you will be able to add some bass but will lose some fidelity in the additional A/D conversion.

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• CWD
        • Mar 2004

A few things to consider...

For SACD/DVD-A, the universal player controls the bass management (or lack thereof) when feeding the multi-input.

I have my FL/FR defined as Large (they are good down to 38Hz or so like your speakers), my center/surrounds as Small (80Hz fixed filter) for my player's (Denon DVD-2200) speaker set-up, so DVD-A/SACD feed full range signals to the multi-input on my 1068. I assume you have calibrated the speakers via the universal player's surround controls -- speaker distances, speaker levels, bass management controls. Before I purchased my 1068, I was using an old Denon receiver with a 5.1 input and I had to use the "Subwoofer +10dB" setting when calibrating speaker levels with my player. The 1068 actually eliminated the need to do that. You can use the subwoofer menu, as previously mentioned, to boost the bass level of the multi-input.

The 1068's speaker setup is FL/RF Small (60Hz), Center Small (80Hz), Surround Small (80 Hz) for DVD-Video/CDs. I have actually been able to balance out the bass response (with the subwoofer's controls) so DVD Videos, DVD-As, and SACDs all play with the same relative bass level. Sometimes, I use the remote to kick-up the subwoofer level of the 1068 on leaner recordings, but things are pretty consistent with these different settings for the player and for the 1068.

So...I think what you want to achieve is doable, maybe your universal player is falling short of the mark or you need to tweak it's speaker settings when it's decoders are in control and feeding the multi-input.

Good luck.

Chris

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"