X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wywong
    • Jan 2005

RSP 1068 questions

Hi, I am just a pround owner of RSP1068 and RMB1075. I have a few questions and hope that someone out there could answer:
    1. When I power up the 1068, there is a little pop sound when the RMB1075 was powered up by the 12v trigger. Is this pop sound normal?
    2. In the speaker advance setup manual, even though I configure it as "large" for my front speaker. It still ask for a cross over frequency setting in the advance speaker setup manual. Is it normal?
    3. My 1068 software version is 1.1.3 and the latest in the Rotel web site is 1.1.7. Should I upgrade it even if everything is OK? Is there anything I should be pay attention to during the software upgrade process.
    4. Should I set the subwoofer setting to "yes" or "max". I have a REL subwoofer and it is connecting via the LFE connection plus a high level input from the front left and right speaker.
    Thanks!!
  • dermie999
    • Jul 2004

I don't have the 1.1.7 feature list and the Rotel Web site seems only to list the upgrades that occurred from 1.1.3 to 1.1.4. Maybe someone on here has the 1.1.7 feature list. Once checking that out my advice to you is "If it aint broke don't fix it", in other words only do the upgrade if there's something in 1.1.7 that you want or there's a bug fix for a problem that you have noticed.

Trevor

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

1. When I power up the 1068, there is a little pop sound when the RMB1075 was powered up by the 12v trigger. Is this pop sound normal?
      Unless its really loud its normal. Though it likely points to a grounding issue with your electrical system the you might want to look into.

2. In the speaker advance setup manual, even though I configure it as "large" for my front speaker. It still ask for a cross over frequency setting in the advance speaker setup manual. Is it normal?
      Yes. Remember that the cross over is set for any speaker set to small so unless all your speakers are set to large the cross over point will still be important. Given you have a REL subwoofer your setup is different then most people which should set their mains to small. In your case you should set the fronts to large, the rest to small and set the subwoofer to none. This will redirect all the LFE and bass below the crossover point to your front left and right speakers where the REL will strip out the bass you set on its crossover dial.

3. My 1068 software version is 1.1.3 and the latest in the Rotel web site is 1.1.7. Should I upgrade it even if everything is OK? Is there anything I should be pay attention to during the software upgrade process.
      I'd upgrade it since its free and does offer some improvements. I posted a listing of what's included in another thread this morning so it should be near the top.

4. Should I set the subwoofer setting to "yes" or "max". I have a REL subwoofer and it is connecting via the LFE connection plus a high level input from the front left and right speaker.
      Why do you need to use both the LFE and the high level connections? i would think you'd only need the high level ones as I outlined above...or am I missing something?

Comment

• Bostonears
        • Mar 2004

Originally posted by wywong
        Should I set the subwoofer setting to "yes" or "max". I have a REL subwoofer and it is connecting via the LFE connection plus a high level input from the front left and right speaker.
        Changing the 1068's setting from "yes" to "max" does not affect the LFE output to the subwoofer channel, it only changes whether or not the frequencies below the crossover value (e.g. 80 Hz) are also output to the front channels. (This is likely to spark a discussion about exactly what the 1068 does different when the subwoofer is set to "yes" vs. "max" if the front speakers are set to "large." Suffice it to say that in my system, with the fronts set to "large," the bass output from the front speakers increases quite noticeably when I switch the subwoofer setting from "yes" to "max".)

According to the REL Strata III manual, for the configuration using BOTH the LFE and the high level inputs, "you must set the processor to the “large” or “full range” setting for the left and right speakers in order for the REL to receive the bass signal via the high-level cable."

Therefore, in addition to setting the front speakers to "large" on the 1068, you would want to set the subwoofer output to "max" to ensure that the high level signal for the front channels includes all the bass content.

I believe that this configuration is unique to REL subwoofers, which can simultaneously use both the LFE and the high level inputs. For almost any other subwoofer, you would use either LFE or high level, but not both, and with most subwoofers being fed through the LFE, you would simply set the subwoofer output on the 1068 to "yes."

Comment

• wywong
          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bostonears
          Changing the 1068's setting from "yes" to "max" does not affect the LFE output to the subwoofer channel, it only changes whether or not the frequencies below the crossover value (e.g. 80 Hz) are also output to the front channels. (This is likely to spark a discussion about exactly what the 1068 does different when the subwoofer is set to "yes" vs. "max" if the front speakers are set to "large." Suffice it to say that in my system, with the fronts set to "large," the bass output from the front speakers increases quite noticeably when I switch the subwoofer setting from "yes" to "max".)
          I thought when I set the front speaker to "large" , full frequency will be send to the fron speaker and the Rel can then pick up whatever it need. The other speakers was setup as "small" and the bass will be redirect to the sub directly. When i set the subwoofer setting to "max" i feel that the bass is too boomy.
          Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 30 January 2005, 01:37 Sunday.

Comment

• Bostonears
            • Mar 2004

Originally posted by wywong
            I thought when I set the front speaker to "large" , full frequency will be send to the fron speaker and the Rel can then pick up whatever it need. The other speakers was setup as "small" and the bass will be redirect to the sub directly. When i set the subwoofer setting to "max" i feel that the bass is too boomy.
            I believe the difference is what happens to the .1 subwoofer channel, that is, when sub is set to "max", even the LFE bass component gets added to the "large" speakers.

Of course, the overriding principle is to do what sounds best. If the bass is too boomy on "max", just leave it on "yes."

Comment

• wywong
              • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
              Unless its really loud its normal. Though it likely points to a grounding issue with your electrical system the you might want to look into.
              Hi The pop noise is small so I would assume it to be normal. How should I check for any grounding issues?

As far as the software upgrade process, is there any "gotta you" that I should be careful about. I do not want to damage a brand new RSP1068. Thanks!!
              Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 30 January 2005, 01:38 Sunday.

Comment

• ajpoe
                • Jul 2004

According to the 1068 manual, the MAX setting essentially doubles the bass output b/c it sends all low freqs to any LARGE speaker AND the Subwoofer. I'd say you will want to just set yours at YES since your Rel sub already pulls the bass from both the front channels and the LFE channel.

ajpoe
                AJPoe - - Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

Comment

• basementjack
                  • Dec 2004

Seems to be a little confustion here on the Sub YES/MAX setting....

*** I should startout by saying this only applies to SUB users who feed with the LFE (vs speaker level) ***

*** I also appologize, this got to be a very long post, I do have a good setup tip at the end if you are using MAX mode ***
                  I did a ton of listening with 2 channel music - I haven't tried this yet with a 5 channel DD source, so this may not apply to movies, but here's what I found for 2CH...

if your front speakers are large,
                  your sub choices are NO/YES/MAX

If you are listening to 2 channel, with LARGE front speakers
                  and you set the sub to...
                  No = No sub
                  YES = No sub for 2ch
                  MAX = Duplication of low freq found on LARGE FRONT Speakers sent to sub, up to subs crossover freqency setting, Frequency setting on FRONT is Irrelevant, it is set to LARGE so it's getting 20hz-20khz.

If you are listening to 2 channel, with SMALL front speakers
                  your sub choices are YES/MAX.
                  if you set the sub to...
                  YES = sub
                  MAX = sub
                  in both cases, the sub gets all frequencies below the sub crossover frequency.
                  If you haven't messed with the Advanced speaker config menu, the fronts get everything above the sub crossover frequency.
                  If you have messed with the Advanced speaker config menu, the front's get everything above the front speaker crossover frequency.
                  *** some special circumstances happen with advance mode...

Advance Mode (again this applies to 2ch only, Idid not do tests on 5.1)....

I spent a great deal of time listening to figure out how the crossovers function and interact in advanced speaker setup...
                  My conclusion is that the rotel essentially takes a full signal from the 2 ch input, and copies it to the sub input (internally).
                  Finally both crossover points are applied, without regard to each other.

So with the advanced menu, you can have a clean transition, or some overlap, or even a band of audio that's removed.

example:
                  Front speakers SMALL 40HZ
                  SUB YES 120HZ
                  result:
                  fronts play 40+
                  Sub plays 120-
                  40-120 is played by both

example2:
                  Front speakers SMALL 150HZ
                  SUB YES 40HZ
                  result:
                  fronts play 150+
                  Sub plays 40-
                  40-150 is MISSING

ok so enough of advance mode...

Now if you have all tiny speakers, then you'll probably want your settings the same for all modes (2ch, DD, DTS)

But what if you have pretty decent fronts? Maybe you have some nice floorstanders that go down to 45hz?
                  Which mode to choose for best 2 channel listening???
                  well, if you want your sub OFF for 2CH the choice is easy,
                  set the fronts to LARGE, and the SUB to YES

but if you want the sub...
                  choice one:
                  FRONTS LARGE
                  SUB =MAX (pick your crossover frequency...)
                  Pro - full range to fronts, sub is used for low frequency Fill.
                  Cons' - full range to fronts might cloud lower midrange, possible duplication

choice two:
                  FRONTS SMALL (pick a LOW crossover frequency)
                  SUB = YES OR MAX (pick the same as above)
                  pro - almost full range to fronts, less demands on speakers and amp,
                  pro - you could see improved clarity and definition on main speakers, depending on equipment.
                  cons - if your main speakers go below 40, there's no crossover point low enough on the rotel

Choice twoa (2a):
                  same as above, set the Fronts crossover as an example, to 40
                  set the subs crossover as an example to 60
                  pro - a little nudge in the bass between 40 and 60
                  con - maybe not the most purest approach

OK this post is almost over... time for my...
                  MAX MODE SETUP TIP
                  If you want to use MAX mode (bass on your fronts and sub together) then you want to get the phase output of your sub to match as close as possible
                  Many subs don't have a true phase control knob, and only have a 0/180 switch. You can do the same with the speaker distance setting in the rotel.

here's how I calibrated mine...
                  Put in a CD with some good low frequency.
                  fronts=large, sub=MAX, Sub xover=120 HZ (you can change the crossover freq after you are done calibrating)
                  sit in your listening position. and listen to the bass.
                  adjust the delay on the sub - the default is 10ft.
                  try everything from 1 to 30ft
                  you should notice a pattern.
                  the bass should get stronger, then weaker, centering around a particular distance.
                  The distance setting with the most bass output is the correct setting.
                  The setting might not reflect the actual distance - that's ok.

Comment

• wywong
                    • Jan 2005

1068/1075 bass management

Hi the 2 ch mode that you mentioned in your posting, do you mean the analog bypass mode. Will the bass signal still go to the sub in this mode. Also, it is hard to balance 2 channel bypass mode and with DVD movie. The problem is after you adjust the bass level in 2 channel, I find that the bass subwoofer level is not enough for DVD movie and I have to increase them when watching movie. Is anybody out there have any suggestions? Also , what is the difference between the cross over frequency in the sub setting vs the cross over frequency setting in each speaker using the advance set up manual? Appreciate all your inputs and suggestions. This is really a great forum for Rotel owners.

Comment

• basementjack
                      • Dec 2004

You can set the volume level of the sub out for each mode - so if you find you need to turn it up for DVD, then you can set the volume higher for Dolby and DTS - this is done in the subwoofer setup screen.

as for the difference between the crossover for the sub in the sub menu, vs the same in the advanced menu with the sub selected, If memory serves me, these two are tied together. If you make a change in the advanced menu, and go back to the sub menu, you should see that the crossover freqency changed, and vice versa - It's been a while since I tried that, but it's a simple enough test to do to confirm on your 1068.

- Jack

Comment

• basementjack
                        • Dec 2004

Also in 2 CH direct mode, (hit 2ch twice for analog sources) the subwoofer is turned off....

2CH Direct mode only works on analog sources. If you've connected your CD Player via Coax or optical, then 2CH direct is not an option.

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"