X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metallo
    • Sep 2004

Questions and thoughts / Rotel RSP-1068

Background,
    I have for a while tried to decide witch component that will decode the audio (only 2ch stereo), Rotel RSP-1068 vs Denon DVD-2910. I have mediocre interconnections (~$50 per cable), and a Rotel RMB-1075 amplifier (biamped) to Infinity renaissance 90 (about $3600 in the -90/-95), so I think I really would notice a difference, of course I use “analogue bypass” when playing from Denon DVD-2910.

The specifications,
    Digital decoding: Rotel RSP-1068 has Crystal Semiconductor 24bit/192khz (CS494003).
    Analogue decoding: Denon DVD-2910 has 4xBurr-Brown 24bit/192khz (PCM1791).
    Witch one is theoretically the superior?

I have tried with all sorts of music and different recordings, for most records the best sound is decoded with RSP-1068, it is only with SACD (recordings from LINN/Stockfish/Opus3/Chesky) Denon DVD-2910 almost can match RSP-1068 with depth, clarity and dynamics of the sound. Most people I talk to are convinced that the Denon would easily beat the Rotel.

Questions,
    1. Is 16bit “standard” CD converted to 24bit when decoded with 24bits DACs? Denon has a feature they call “AL-24 processing” that means all audio-decoding is converted to 24bit, correct me if I’m wrong.
    2. Could it be the interconnections or speaker wires that need to be upgraded to hear more difference?
    3. All RSP-1068 owners, are you decoding 2ch stereo with you RSP-1068 or with your CD/DVD-player?
    4. I am thinking of getting a Rotel RCD-1072, do you guys think it easily will beat the decoding in RSP-1068? (RCD-1072 only has 18bit Burr-Brown DAC)
    5. Have you guys any recommendations for recordings when evaluating your audio equipments for 2ch listening?

My conclusion so far is that with all possibilities in RSP-1068 (contour/level/crossover/delay) and economics (only 1 high quality digital coaxial needed) it’s just plain dumb to pay extra money for a DVD-player with “good analogue decoding”.

BR
    /Daniel
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Daniel,

I have a 1068, Rotel 1060 DVD, and 1072. Even when I a/b the 1072 via "analog bypass" and "stereo" (which re-converts the sigal to digital for 1068 processing, and back to analog before output), I hear a very noticable difference. My understanding is that a fair amount of this comes from the fact that dedicated CD players usually outperform DVD players, especially at this price point. In all fairness, I have very nice interconnects. However, I've a/b tested them also, and I do not think they account for the majority of the difference.

Oh, I got the 1072 because it sounded so much better than the 1068, either in analog bypass OR in digital.

Comment

• Clepto
      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by metallo

Questions,
      1. Is 16bit “standard” CD converted to 24bit when decoded with 24bits DACs? Denon has a feature they call “AL-24 processing” that means all audio-decoding is converted to 24bit, correct me if I’m wrong.
      I'm pretty sure that the AL-24 isn't available until you get into the Denon 3910. Or maybe even the 5910...

Comment

• metallo
        • Sep 2004

Clepto,
        Thats the strange thing, Denon DVD-2910 and DVD-3910 have the same DACs, in my head both of them should process the signal the same way.
        Or does 3910 upconvert 16bit to 24bit before decoding and 2910 only decode 16bit audio with 24bit dacs, it makes no sense?

When decoding analog signal with Rotel RSP-1068 ADC (AKM 24bit/192khz), it converts the signal to digital first, then to analog again. Shouldnt the signal be converted to 24 bit by the ADC then?

Grit,
        You wrote: "Oh, I got the 1072 because it sounded so much better than the 1068, either in analog bypass OR in digital."
        How can it sound better with digital connection, I suppose you compare it to RDV-1060? ALL audioprocessing is made in the RSP-1068 with that connection. Im not criticizeing you, im just curious

BR
        /Daniel

Comment

• Clepto
          • Feb 2006

If you check Denon's site, I verified that 3910 has 'AL24 Processing Plus' but the 2910 does not. I'm guessing the 2910 doesn't do any upconverting of CD, and maybe that's what the AL24 Processing does.

They also have DIFFERENT DACs.

3910 = Burr-Brown 24/192 Audio DACs (DSD/PCM Discrete) PCM-1796
          2910 = Burr-Brown 24/192 Audio DACs (DSD/PCM Discrete) PCM-1791

Comment

• metallo
            • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Clepto
            If you check Denon's site, I verified that 3910 has 'AL24 Processing Plus' but the 2910 does not. I'm guessing the 2910 doesn't do any upconverting of CD, and maybe that's what the AL24 Processing does.

They also have DIFFERENT DACs.

3910 = Burr-Brown 24/192 Audio DACs (DSD/PCM Discrete) PCM-1796
            2910 = Burr-Brown 24/192 Audio DACs (DSD/PCM Discrete) PCM-1791
            You are right, I thought is was the same DACs, a swedish site (hifiklubben) wrote that they had almost identical analog audio except Denonlink, so I assumed they had the same DAC.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"