X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taimur
    • Apr 2003

Loud popping noise in RSX-1055

I've had my RSX1055 receiver for about 10 months, and it's been fine until now. In the last week or so, through the front left speaker, I can hear a very loud popping noise every so often. It sounds like a record being scratched for about 1/4 of a second and then **pop** (real loud!). Sometimes it's so loud that the amp switches itself off. It happens when the unit is on standby and when it's on, but not when the power button is pressed to switch it off. I disconnected one of the wires from my front left speaker so that I wouldn't have to hear it, but the amp will still switch itself off every now and then. If I do this, I playback in 5 channel stereo, and I think I can just about hear a faint pop coming from the back left speaker.

It seems, having done a search, I have a very similar problem to the person who posted here: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=7955

Can anyone help me with this? I'll be calling my dealer in a couple of days, but I'd like to know what the problem might be before calling, as it doesn't happen all the time, and knowing my luck my dealer will come over to hear it and the amp won't perform for him! (He's a very good dealer that way!)

Thanks!
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

sounds like a transistor breaking down in the front end of your'e amp, one of the drivers may be failing. Your'e service center will find it with heat and or freeze spray.

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Also perhaps you could try contacting tempest (from the other thread) and see what solution they found...?

Jason
      Jason

Comment

• taimur
        • Apr 2003

I've contacted tempest.. let's see if he replies. My dealer is shut on a Tuesday (?!) so I'll have to contact him tomorrow! I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions, advice, etc, gratefully received.

Comment

• taimur
          • Apr 2003

well, here's an update. I handed my receiver into my hifi shop about 10 days ago. They were good enough to lend me a 1056 receiver in the interim. The popping was away for the time I had a 1056 replacement plugged in to my system.

I collected the 1055 today from the shop and plugged it back in to my system, and within a couple of minutes I started hearing the popping noise again.

What absolutely terrible service. I mean, you give something in for repairs, they tell me it's all fixed and yet it's clear that not only did Rotel not test my equipment before sending it back, but the hifi shop didn't check it either. I just cannot believe how bad a service this is!!!

Comment

• soundhound
            • Mar 2004

Did Rotel even indeed get the reciever? Or was it your'e local service center. I for one would be real suprised to think that Rotel itself wouldn't get it right. I would believe this to be a service center issue before I would a Rotel issue. Did they explain to you what they had found, as most do? Weather you follow along or not they should have been able to tell you specifcally what the problem was. On a side note: how was the 1056 in comparison? Thats allmost a head to head comparison

Comment

• taimur
              • Apr 2003

The shop sent it to Rotel, and the report is that they changed a board and tested it thereafter and it was fine. Still, my local shop has been helpful. They say they'll come over on Wednesday and take it back.

To be honest, I didn't really notice much of a difference between the 1055 and the 1056 other than in better software and the ability to see menu items on component output. They both sounded the same and I didn't really test the video upconversion (if that's a feature). Is the 1056 supposed to sound better than the 1055? I suspect both amps are very good and so any audio differences are going to be quite subtle, especially to someone not expecting to hear any differences.

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"