X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Max Goh
    • May 2004

RSP-1066 loud popping & hissing sound after 11/2 hours

Recently, I encountered a problem with my Rotel RSP-1066 unit that really upset me. What happen is after watching a movie in Dolby Digital/DTS for about 11/2 hours, the processor just went silent for about 2 secs and then loud hissing and popping sound occurred. When this happen, I changed source input (e.g. VCR) and back again, everything become normal for less than a minute and problem resume. I went to check test tone when this happen but no sound at all. After I powered the unit down using the master switch and turn it on again, everything is back to normal but problem came back again after a while. When the unit is completely cold down, everything works again for about 11/2 hours and same problem occurred.

I sent my unit to the agent but they could not fault it and told me to change the digital board which is very expensive. As such, I have decided not to do so and brough my unit home. I borrowed a cable from the shop I bought the unit from and download the latest firmware V2.26 but to no avail - problem is still there.

Anyone that can help me resolve this problem will be very much appreciated.

Regards

Max Goh
  • eelco74
    • Dec 2002

Rotel comes with a 5 year warrenty. Since the unit is only max 2 years old, it must be repaired under warrenty.

Bring it back to your dealer and get it fixed.
    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• Max Goh
      • May 2004

Hi Eeelco

Thanks! Unfortunately, I bought this unit in Singapore and it only came with a 1 yr warranty.

Cheers!

Best Regards

Max Goh

=========

Originally posted by eelco74
      Rotel comes with a 5 year warrenty. Since the unit is only max 2 years old, it must be repaired under warrenty.

Bring it back to your dealer and get it fixed.

Comment

• Ross Smith
        • May 2004

I just a RSP 976 replaced because when changing from analogue to a digital source or changing TV stations on my STB sometimes I would get this very loud digital static noise or crackling noise. It sounds similar to your noise, the dealer didn't tell me they found wrong just a suspected faulty DSP board. I'm pretty happy as the replacement was a new RSP 1066, but now that gives a slight crackling sound when in digital mode, when you make any adjustment to the menu or change channels on the STB or chapters on the DVD player, I hope the 2.6 firmware fixes it.

Comment

• Max Goh
          • May 2004

Hi Ross

Thanks for the information. I have just been requested by Rotel dealer in Singapore to send in my unit for further troubleshooting. If they need to replace the DSP board, it will be VERY expensive and since this unit is slightly over a year old when the problem occurred, I don't think it is worth to pay for the replacement. If that is the case, I might seek ROTEL head-office assistance to see if they can provide a FOC board replacement.

Cheers!

Best Regards

Max Goh

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"