• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

popping noise then no sound (RSX-1056)

Hey all,

Recently I've been getting a loud popping noise out of all speakers from my Rotel receiver and then there is no sound from any source. If I turn it off and then on again, it operates normally for a bit, pops again and then no sound. I cleaned, spliced and reconnected all patch cords and speaker wires and the problem was better but still occurs. It seems to happen when the unit gets hot and a I am playing sources rather loud (65-70 on the volume dial). When the pop occurs and the sound disappears, the lights and display stay on as normal.

Any ideas as to what it is and how to fix it?. It is still under warrenty but I am sad to lose the unit for a month or more. Plus, the problem is intermittent so I am also afraid that if I send it back, Rotel will not experience the problem and incorrectly repair it.
    Dan Madden :T
  • Gianluca
    • Oct 2008

Your playing it to hard and it overheats and goes into prtection or 1 or more speakers are presenting a short circuit condition to the amp.

Disconnect one speaker at a time and play it and see if you find the one that causes the issue.

You could also measure with a multimeter on the ohms setting for the proper value your speakers should be. Like 4 ohms or 8 ohms. Could also be you speaker wires, agian with a MM see if you have continuity between red and black with both ends disconnected.

Hope this helps

Luca
    Sharp Aquos 40" 1080P| Rotel RSX 1056 | Classé CA-150 | Oppo BDP-83 | PS3 | APC H15 | B&W 603 S3 | B&W LCR 600 S3 | B&W 602 S3 | Sunfire True Sub Signature |

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Gianluca
      Your playing it to hard and it overheats and goes into prtection or 1 or more speakers are presenting a short circuit condition to the amp.

Disconnect one speaker at a time and play it and see if you find the one that causes the issue.

You could also measure with a multimeter on the ohms setting for the proper value your speakers should be. Like 4 ohms or 8 ohms. Could also be you speaker wires, agian with a MM see if you have continuity between red and black with both ends disconnected.

Hope this helps

Luca

Hi Luca

I have had the receiver for almost 5 years and have played it at these volumes regularly. The receiver gets warm only and is really barely working up a sweat. I do not believe it is shutting down as a protection of pushing the amp. I too thought about the speaker wire thing (All the wires for that matter!!). I checked them all. Near the end before I brought it in for warranty repair, it was producing almost no sound at all, from any source input!. A crackling noise is all it would produce. One thing I did discover though is that 'Stereo bypass' 2ch mode (No digital processing) worked fine so the problem lies in the digital processing somewhere.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"